Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trevpimp

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2009
Inside A Mac Box
Xbox is good if you like to stand full proud of Microsoft and especially all of the 'hardcore' genre of gaming Gears of War, Game Pass, exclusives to Xbox etc

I'm a master chief fan so I stick to Xbox

................PlayStation underneath the covers though ?

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
I hate these Sony vs. MS discussions because you can't win, its an emotional decision and people can be very tribal when it comes to their game consoles - I'm including myself.

Yet, after weeks of not getting a PS5, I've given up and I'll wait until January or February when the craziness dies down. Speaking of craziness I saw (because I was curious), how so many people are trying to gouge on the PS5, I'm not exaggerating when I say there's listings for the game console for 50,000 dollars. That's just crazy, I have to think no one in their right will be a 500 dollar console for 10000% markup.

Back on topic, I've been a PS4 fan and enjoy the game selections but in all seriousness the subscription that MS offers including the addition of EA play make a compelling case for the Xbox. Day 1 next gen game availability certainly goes to Sony, AND I'm not really a huge fan of the Halo franchise. With MS owning Obsidian and now Bethesda I'm seeing some level of logic with going to xbox.

I have time on my side, and so I'll be obsessing about this topic from now until those consoles are available (unless the wife has purchased one of those for me and thus removes the decision ;) )

So while I'd like to avoid platform wars here, what advantages do people think the Xbox has over the PS5 - other then the subscription service.
I agree with you on this. It has been so frustrating. I also need a new graphics card and its impossible finding EITHER NVIDIA or AMD available that is not from a scalper!

I seriously wish more companies do what Apple does. I ordered my AirPods Max when they were first announced, and I still won't get them until March. But at least I know I have an order placed. I wish I could do the same with PS5, Xbox, NVIDIA or AMD.

Reactions: AC Rempt

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
I have an order placed.
Its 2021, and I'm surprised that I was unable to order something out of stock, even from sony, just as you mentioned with apple. I can wait a month or two if need be, it gives me time to obsess ;) but also time to research

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
I hate these Sony vs. MS discussions because you can't win, its an emotional decision and people can be very tribal when it comes to their game consoles - I'm including myself.

Yet, after weeks of not getting a PS5, I've given up and I'll wait until January or February when the craziness dies down. Speaking of craziness I saw (because I was curious), how so many people are trying to gouge on the PS5, I'm not exaggerating when I say there's listings for the game console for 50,000 dollars. That's just crazy, I have to think no one in their right will be a 500 dollar console for 10000% markup.

Back on topic, I've been a PS4 fan and enjoy the game selections but in all seriousness the subscription that MS offers including the addition of EA play make a compelling case for the Xbox. Day 1 next gen game availability certainly goes to Sony, AND I'm not really a huge fan of the Halo franchise. With MS owning Obsidian and now Bethesda I'm seeing some level of logic with going to xbox.

I have time on my side, and so I'll be obsessing about this topic from now until those consoles are available (unless the wife has purchased one of those for me and thus removes the decision ;) )

So while I'd like to avoid platform wars here, what advantages do people think the Xbox has over the PS5 - other then the subscription service.

Why not get both ?

th0masp

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2015
I've long given up on multiple platforms. There's only so much time in the day and all these accessories and now subscriptions that are needed in my experience do add up to... mostly researching and spending - and unplugging things behind the TV - and not playing. ;)

I think Gamepass may well just benefit from the current kind of games that were developed with a different sales model and simply put on Gamepass in the meantime. It will be interesting to see if upcoming titles - developed for Gamepass - will require to change that model for different budgets, development times and monetization strategies.

C7 POWER

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2015
Charlotte, NC
I went with both the PS5 and Series X. I will say the Series X is pretty much the same as my old One X, so the Series X does not fee as much of an upgrade or next gen like my PS5 does.

TopherMan12

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2019
Atlanta, GA
My gaming PC gives me everything Xbox would, but if that were not the case, personally, I would stick with PlayStation. The consistent number of really great exclusives coming from their studios has always been what made them successful. Last yeah, playing The Last of Us 2 and Ghost of Tsushima back to back was just incredible. This year, I'm playing Spider-Man: Mike Morales followed by Ratchet and Clank sometime in the next few weeks. That is four awesome exclusives in less than one year.

Woodcrest64

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2006
I have the Series X and a PS4 Pro. I will get the PS5 too but I will likely wait for a design change. I got the Series X first for Game Pass and that I haven’t own an Xbox since the 360 days. I also have a Nintendo Switch. Enjoy what you got or if you can get them all and have fun

C7 POWER

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2015
Charlotte, NC
I have the Series X and a PS4 Pro. I will get the PS5 too but I will likely wait for a design change. I got the Series X first for Game Pass and that I haven’t own an Xbox since the 360 days. I also have a Nintendo Switch. Enjoy what you got or if you can get them all and have fun
If you are waiting for a design change, then you are waiting for the PS6? lol. Who cares what it looks like, Its a killer system with great specs, I personally like the look, and not a fan of the look of my Series X, BUT at the end of the day, I am not waiting to buy a game system till they make it look pretty lol

breezyf808

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2012
If you are waiting for a design change, then you are waiting for the PS6? lol. Who cares what it looks like, Its a killer system with great specs, I personally like the look, and not a fan of the look of my Series X, BUT at the end of the day, I am not waiting to buy a game system till they make it look pretty lol
I think in the next 3/4 years there will be an upgraded or “slimmer” version which we saw with the ps4. Or maybe a pro version. I too have bought both, series X is for me and occasionally my son/wife.
But the ps5 is for my son because he loves the VR and spiderman. I subscribed to ps now, haven’t played much other than LoU and Days Gone.

Reactions: C7 POWER

benshive

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2017
United States
As I said earlier:

Sony has the BEST exclusives.
Nintendo makes the best 1st party games.
Microsoft now has the best OVERALL package.
Yeah this is a good way to put it. It depends on what you want from the console. For me, I generally don't play too many different games but spend a lot of time on a few games that I think are really good. So PlayStation's exclusives appeal to me more. But if you're a person that likes to jump between a bunch of different games then the Xbox with Gamepass is probably your best bet.

Although I think PS5 does have a distinct advantage this generation and that's the dualsense controller. The haptics and the adaptive triggers are so cool.

Deliro

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2011
I went with both the PS5 and Series X. I will say the Series X is pretty much the same as my old One X, so the Series X does not fee as much of an upgrade or next gen like my PS5 does.
I can see that. Since it’s the same UI. But quick resume and overall loading times make it feel like a great upgrade. Xbox does need a UI facelift and some more optimized titles for the X and I’ll be happy.

Reactions: C7 POWER

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Honestly, one of the most talked about things with the PS5 is the new design. Consoles generally don’t really change that much in overall design, that’s why the PS5 is so staggering with its curvature and wavy design. So if you’re waiting for changes with the ‘PS6’, I don’t know what you’re really expecting, because you have to add in so many internal components and it’s the external housing that changed the PS5. The Xbox SX although extremely powerful, really isn’t that much different from what we’ve seen in the past with the whole ‘squared off edge look’.

Woodcrest64

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2006
Lol, PS6 is a little far away.... Though I’d wouldn’t be surprised if we see a mid Gen Pro upgrade and I might be tempted to wait for that. But you are right, don’t wait for it to get pretty ?

breezyf808

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2012
The good thing about waiting is playing the collections for free whether it’s with game pass or ps now.
I missed all of the PS4 greatest hits and now I (or my son) can enjoy it for free on the ps5.

Last edited:
Reactions: madeirabhoy

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
The good thing about waiting is playing the collections for free whether it’s with game pass or ps now.
I missed all of the PS4 greatest hits and now I (or my son) can enjoy in for free on the ps5.
Last year I dismissed backcompat. Now, I consider it one of the best features of next gen.

It's like the ability to watch a 10-20 years old movie remastered in 4k and HDR.

Over the coming months we will see numerous games enhanced for the new consoles, alternatively separate next gen versions will be developed as a remaster.

Exciting times ahead as we don't just have to sit and wait for new games to launch but can look forward to playing older ones in their best form.

Erehy Dobon

Suspended
Feb 16, 2018
No service
Xbox chief Phil Spencer was just interviewed about the Bethesda acquisition (finally approved by USA and EU authorities) and the most important revelation was that future Bethesda titles will be exclusive to Game Pass (Xbox and PC).

That means if you're already playing games on a Windows PC the logical first choice for a console would be PlayStation since Xbox will pretty much overlap what the PC gets regarding Bethesda.

Naturally, this is all being done to increase subscription rates and retention (i.e., recurring revenue).

This shouldn't affect existing titles (since there are contractual obligations) but the landscape of what new titles can play on PS and Xbox five years from now may be considerably different from today.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
MS offers including the addition of EA play make a compelling case for the Xbox.
I started this thread back in December and PS5s and Xbox X consoles are still impossible to find. With that said, I've decided to switch platforms and go with the XBox.

The purchase of Bethesda and the strength of Microsoft's subscription service is just too compelling. There's a handful of Playstation exclusives that I'll miss out on, most notably Zero Horizon Dawn but I think the intangibles that the XBox brings outweighs what I'll be missing out on. I also like the look and design of the XBox it fits where it will be located a lot better, though I do like the playstation controller better

I'll keep my eyes out and try to snag an Xbox when I can, though going the ebay route is tempting but I'll sit tight for now.

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2012
Xbox chief Phil Spencer was just interviewed about the Bethesda acquisition (finally approved by USA and EU authorities) and the most important revelation was that future Bethesda titles will be exclusive to Game Pass (Xbox and PC).

That means if you're already playing games on a Windows PC the logical first choice for a console would be PlayStation since Xbox will pretty much overlap what the PC gets regarding Bethesda.

Naturally, this is all being done to increase subscription rates and retention (i.e., recurring revenue).

This shouldn't affect existing titles (since there are contractual obligations) but the landscape of what new titles can play on PS and Xbox five years from now may be considerably different from today.

as a firm playstation guy, this is pushing me towards xbox.

in fact I think the only question is, since im not full of money, is whether to go wholly to XBOX with an XBOX Series X, or to consider getting a PS5 and an XBOX series S.

not going to jump into either until theres a compelling game that I want to play that isnt out for PS4, but that day wont be far away.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

in fact I think the only question is, since im not full of money, is whether to go wholly to XBOX with an XBOX Series X, or to consider getting a PS5 and an XBOX series S.

not going to jump into either until theres a compelling game that I want to play that isnt out for PS4, but that day wont be far away.

If you prefer digital media and you’re not interested in physical media, then the obvious option would be the Xbox Series S. But for me, I don’t want digital downloads, I prefer physical media, which obviously gives me that option with the XSX. Anecdotally, I also think the XSX will be the long-term better of the ‘resale’ in the future.

Erehy Dobon

Suspended
Feb 16, 2018
No service

Well, the Game Pass subscription costs the same, right?

So the difference between the initial hardware expense is less meaningful when you upgrade to the successor to Xbox Series. Assuming the Xbox Series generation lasts about seven years, will you be wishing that you ponied up the extra cash for the Series X for 4K gaming or do you think you will still be happy with 1080p/1440p gaming?

Add up seven years of Game Pass fees then throw in the hardware expense.

When you break down total cost of ownership, the hardware itself is a much smaller portion of your overall expenditure.

This leads to whether or not the Xbox Series X/S is even a good value for someone with a good Windows desktop PC. If Game Pass costs the same, does it make more sense to dump $500 into a GPU card instead of the same amount into standalone videogame hardware considering you can play non-Game Pass games on the PC?

Deeply discounted games from Steam? GOG Galaxy? Ubisoft Connect? Epic?

Modding PC games?

If you don't game on a Windows PC then I think this is a no-brainer: get the Xbox Series X.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.