Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danbalsh

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2003
Wow, soooooooo much better than RealOne, it actually feels like a Mac OS X application now and not some put together crap! :D

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
OS X has never allowed RealPlayer to be as obnoxious as it was in OS 9... but I still have nightmares about the 9 days! Messed up every system setting and screwed up the opening of unrelated files... like text documents! A company that would even TRY to take over opening of SO many document-types makes me nervous.

But it's been OK for me in X--and useful for iTunes music shopping :D I'm on modem and I don't always want the full-quality (slow) preview... so I go to Amazon and find many of the tracks there on CD, where they can be previewed with Real. Terrible quality, but very quick. Once I know I have the right song, I click Buy in iTunes :)

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
I downloaded this last night (was surprised to see it on Real's servers just after midnight when I looked just for the heck of it), and I've got to say it's a HUGE improvement over the previous version.

I was never a big Real fan, and the old version was a total mess, but it was the only way for my wife to watch her news streams without using the even-worse WMP.

The new beta looks better, the video seems to be crisper (either better post-processing, or the site I'm using feeds a different video format if your player supports it), playing starts faster, you can now skip around in a streaming clip and it'll start playing almost immediately (instead of either a long delay, or stalling entirely), you can resize or drag the window without the video freezing, and it seems faster in general.

I don't trust whatever Real is doing in the background, but they're still a necessity for some sites, and the free player just went from being a total joke to a relatively nice piece of software, and this is just the beta.

(Now if they'd just drop the silly overdone Windows-style interface for something a bit more Mac-standard...)

Butler Trumpet

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2004
Dekalb IL
"free download" ha

Yeah... still not free... only for 14 days. And what sucks more... is that on OS 9 or a stupid PC its free. I dont get it.. thats retarted.

Edit: OK never mind.. I was looking at Real One Player... .difference.

a_iver

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2004
Woo hoo I better download it right away. I always needed a virtual paper weight. :p

AmigoMac

macrumors 68020
Aug 5, 2003
l'Allemagne
take care...

Butler Trumpet said:
Yeah... still not free... only for 14 days. And what sucks more... is that on OS 9 or a stupid PC its free. I dont get it.. thats retarted.

It's free and it's beta...it has been messing my brower and I deleted realone which let me hear my old radio stations... :mad:

Attachments

• real.jpg
    real.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 279

Porchland

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2004
Georgia
Good: NPR's "Fresh Air"
Bad: Intrusive shilling
Good: A major player developing for Mac
Bad: Intrusive shilling

dizastor

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2001
Los Angeles
Non event, I've never had a reason to use realplayer... any video worth viewing online is in a format quicktime recognizes, and for everything else there is VLC and sadly WMP.

So.. woohoo for realplayer!

MacNCheeze

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2004
Portland
Real who?

Why would you want Real Player on your Mac? I can't believe Real Networks is still around. Not worth the risk. :rolleyes:

-----------
Still waiting to buy my Mac...

Windowlicker

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2003
Finland
the only thing i use real player for is to watch south park. for a while ago I trashed my real one and changed to mplayer with real media too.

I might try this real player 10 when it reaches the final version. for now, I'm good with just downloading the beta and putting it on a backup disc later on.

sinisterdesign

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2003
atlanta
Butler Trumpet said:

yeah, i don't think any of us are rushing out to buy One. sometimes they do those timed trials w/ betas to force you to get the actual final release at a later date, albeit normally longer than 14 days. ;)

i haven't downloaded this yet, but may tonight just b/c the other posts have said it's a marked improvement over the previous POS player. i've also been leary of Real since the days of OS9 when it would try to hijack every media type on your computer.

lately, i've been a fan of Mplayer b/c it plays just about everything you throw at it (although the fact that it doesn't constrain proportions when you resize is kinda' annoying)

mmmbop

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2003
London
Just wait until the stripped-down, non-spyware version appears as a download through the BBC's site. You won't get any of the that RealOne non-sense.

nsb3000

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2003
Boston, MA
MacNCheeze said:
Why would you want Real Player on your Mac? I can't believe Real Networks is still around. Not worth the risk. :rolleyes:

-----------
Still waiting to buy my Mac...

The same reason I have Windows Media player installed on my Mac...because of the content available exclusively the Real (OR WMA) format online. NPR, the BBC World Service, Air America Radio, PRI, just to name a few...and none of these have QuickTime streams. Realone player has been a system resource hog, and I hope this version is better.

nsb3000

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2003
Boston, MA
sunnfun said:
I'm listening to european radio a lot and they are almost 99% either WMA or RM... Is there a way to use RealPlayer with AirTunes? THAT would be cool! :)

I was thinking this as well. Apple should give you the option of having Airtunes send out all sound from your Mac...

stylewriter

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2004
Johnson City, TN
Free Real Player 10

Butler Trumpet said:

They have always had a free version, thery just hide it well. To get the truly free version you have to look in the top right hand corner of their page for this link
realplay.jpg

Look directly under "Free Games", annoying but free.

stylewriter

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2004
Johnson City, TN
Airtunes with RealMedia

nsb3000 said:
I was thinking this as well. Apple should give you the option of having Airtunes send out all sound from your Mac...

It's a lot more likely now that Real has released most of their protocols open-source via Helix. I'd expect to see a lot more streams requiring Real now that Red Hat is standarizing on Real.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.