Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

djdarlek

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2003
MacNCheeze said:
Why would you want Real Player on your Mac? I can't believe Real Networks is still around. Not worth the risk. :rolleyes:

-----------
Still waiting to buy my Mac...

well us UK readers will be excited at least. http://www.bbc.co.uk streams all their digital content via Reals' questional network..

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
Why so many negatives? Choice is good. You don't need to buy it of you don't want to.

Zaty

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2004
Switzerland
To all of you who say that you won't be using real player, it's great if you can live without it, but let me say that here in Switzerland Quicktime is practically unknown for streaming media. All (or at least all I know) websites offering any kind of streams use either WMA or Real or sometimes both formats, but like I said no one uses Quicktime over here. Why? I don't know, probably because we live in Windows centric world.

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
I think the new player is much better. At least it has free full screen mode (although it's nice in QT Pro to be able to switch to another program and still have the movie running on the desktop in the background) and it is also aware of the dock, unlike QT Player.

I've played some of my QT movies in it and they do seem very high quality. I've had no problems either (although Safari did unexpectedly quit today for the first time since 10.3.1 but that may be unrelated).

People stop complaining. It's better than WMP.

Agathon

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2004
Some of you are just being mean. I've installed it and I think Real have done an excellent job. It's faster and better looking than the old version and it hasn't taken over all my media files. Performance with embedded clips is far far better than it was before.

And it's free, so what is there to worry about?

amols

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2004
Whooaa... crashed twice in five minutes. Little Snitch reported a dozen warnings during that period. Some things never change.

xy14

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2004
Minneapolis
I've had RealOne for a long time and not once has it crashed. Now that I have RealPlayer, it doesn't crash and now I don't have to pay $30 for QT Pro. I have never heard of spyware on RealPlayer, and RealPlayer plays Protected AAC. I definitely love RealPlayer more than Windows Media Player, and now I sometimes prefer this over QuickTime. And no, I don't work for Real.

XForge

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2002
South Florida
MacNCheeze said:
Why would you want Real Player on your Mac? I can't believe Real Networks is still around. Not worth the risk.

Is there a way to play Real streams without it? That'd be awesome because Air America streams in Real format, and I kinda like listening to them. Not sure if NPR's streams are Real-only or if they offer another choice.

big_scot_nanny

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2004
Switzerland
I've enjoyed this thread, as I was desperate to install realplayer so I could get mostly BBC content, but I was very wary after win98 experiences, and all the aforementioned highjacking of system files etc., and bloody installing itself into teh system tray any time a real file was played. aarrghhhh!

It was interesting to read coments from those that talked about the non-crapiness of the OSX version, esp the new version 10.

I downloaded it, installed it, and he presto, all the BBC content is mine, with no issues at all.

I'll let you know if anything suspicious happens!
Kev

Orge

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2004
Amazing!

Real crashed instantly whenever I sued to open a stream... Despite, re-installing/deleting preferences/etc it would never work. To be fair I didn't try too hard to fix it, but it was always annoying that I couldn't watch the streams from the bbc site...

Seems like this is quite a significant improvement over the last version (for the short period that it worked). Whilst its a shame that we still have to use this crappy video format, it still gets a thumbs up for making it a less painful experience.

mingso

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2002
Hong Kong
Has anyone successfully download and installed the RealAudio 3.0 codec plugin with this beta version ? I connected to a stream which required this codec plugin, and everytime I choose to install it, RealPlayer hangs at the install stage.

CompUSAMacNerd

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2003
sunnfun said:
I'm listening to european radio a lot and they are almost 99% either WMA or RM... Is there a way to use RealPlayer with AirTunes? THAT would be cool! :)

You can stream http://www.di.fm through your iTunes, and then use Air Tunes that way. Its what I'm going to do. That way, you don't have to worry about WMA or MP3

Digitally imported is the home of Euro dance.

grobbins

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2002
mingso said:
Has anyone successfully download and installed the RealAudio 3.0 codec plugin with this beta version ? I connected to a stream which required this codec plugin, and everytime I choose to install it, RealPlayer hangs at the install stage.
Open up the Console application (inside the Applications/Utilities folder) and look for error messages in the console window when the player tries to do the upgrade.

blackpeter

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2001
This is actually a pretty good improvement to Real 9. I view lots of sports content on the web and most of it is in Real or WMP, so I use the product pretty frequently. I can tell you that it's pretty slick (for a Real Networks product).

sinclairZX81

macrumors member
Dec 21, 2002
RAMTOP
bugger. it still won't play the BBC broadband stuff <http://asia-en.sg.real.com/partners/bbcnews/ifs/?x=y&pcode=bbcnews-i&cpath=R1R&rsrc=ifscons>. I live in the US and I need real journalism dammit! (and yes, I know it says "This service has not been designed for use on a Macintosh." on that page - I tend to think I can out-tech such caveats)

Wardofsky

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2002
Dave Swift said:
For quite a while, all you've needed to do is go to http://www.real.com and you'd automatically be redirected to their OS X page. The "Free Player" link is small but clearly visable in the upper right hand corner. I understand a certain level of contempt for Real, but the whole speal that it's impossible to find the free version never made too much sense to me.

This is way back in the OS 9 days...

dernhelm

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2002
middle earth
johnnyjibbs said:
People stop complaining. It's better than WMP.

Ooh high praise! Although I do have to admit to using it for some NPR feeds, and a few various and sundry web sites that required it 4 years ago when their wasn't a better alternative and never switched. It's pretty awful, but you can live with it without too much teeth ganshing.

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
I really like the new version...several things not working for me, though:

1. When I right-click on embedded media files and choose "Play in Real Player" (something like that) it starts the player, but doesn't open the file. It works when I repeat it.... :confused:

2. some embedded livestreams only show a still picture with sound, but work when I choose to use the player :(

3. Most media files start with a still image+sound and only start playing the actual video content 5-10secs into the video... what's up with that ?!

btw: I don't have any of these problems with RealOne

Guess it's time for me to wait for the final version (hopefully by that time the described issues will be fixed)

grobbins

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2002
tkermit said:
I really like the new version...Guess it's time for me to wait for the final version (hopefully by that time the described issues will be fixed)
If you want the issues fixed, send a description of the problems, URLs to reproduce the problems, and a description of your system to the development team at the address in the player's About box. That's the best way to ensure that player will work well with the files and sites you want to watch.

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
grobbins said:
If you want the issues fixed, send a description of the problems, URLs to reproduce the problems, and a description of your system to the development team at the address in the player's About box. That's the best way to ensure that player will work well with the files and sites you want to watch.

OK, I sent them a bug report ( macplayer@real.com ). Really hope it'll get fixed, we'll see... Do you think they even read them ?

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
WOW - that was fast. I just got an email from Real:

"Chris,
Thank you for trying the player and for the feedback. We will try and
check these issues on our end.

best wishes
Vikram Dendi
Program Manager"

:)

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
Sorry for the third post in a row, BUT I have to say this:

I am REALLY impressed with Real right now. I've already gotten a second mail from another Real developer who has commented on my problems and has asked further questions. They really DO seem to be interested in their customers. :) .

I hope I won't get banned for saying something nice about Real :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.