Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JohnGrey

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2012
Cincinnati Metro
Cuphead has dominated my Steam gaming since release. I finally got round to getting Samus Returns after work yesterday and my copy of Superstar Saga has already been dispatched from Amazon. Loved the game on GBA, so I've been looking forward to it since the announcement.

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
I took my son (2) to the local electronics retailer today, in the mood to spend some money.

I left with nothing. Super poor selection, I was interested in Skyrim, Cities Skylines, Elite Dangerous, Resident Evil 7....nothing in stock. The new Uncharted and Dishonored spinoffs were nearly full retail price, way too much for what basically amounts to half a game.

Ah well, back to the backlog with me! :)

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
Not really a 'gaming' purchase, but just moved into my new house and picked up an LG OLED TV yesterday afternoon.
:D

PS4 Pro is imminent...!
I was about to buy an LG OLED TV too this Monday. There were some really good deals in a retailer: 55 B7 for 1580€ and 65 B6 for 1680€.

I went online and did some research and finally didn't pull the trigger. Rtings is doing some burn-in and permanent image retention tests since August and they have confirmed the B6 has this issue. Of course, this may happen over a long time during normal usage, but I read too many issues online: the organic leds do degrade over time and lose picture quality, banding, image retention, less brightness, HDR game mode is dimmer than normal mode and motion issues.

LED also has its own issues. I really wanted to take advantage of the deals and buy an OLED. It looks so so good. But I've been burned already with burn-in issues on phone screens so can't take that risk on a 1680€ TV.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
I was about to buy an LG OLED TV too this Monday. There were some really good deals in a retailer: 55 B7 for 1580€ and 65 B6 for 1680€.

I went online and did some research and finally didn't pull the trigger. Rtings is doing some burn-in and permanent image retention tests since August and they have confirmed the B6 has this issue. Of course, this may happen over a long time during normal usage, but I read too many issues online: the organic leds do degrade over time and lose picture quality, banding, image retention, less brightness, HDR game mode is dimmer than normal mode and motion issues.

LED also has its own issues. I really wanted to take advantage of the deals and buy an OLED. It looks so so good. But I've been burned already with burn-in issues on phone screens so can't take that risk on a 1680€ TV.

Yeah the B6 is last year's model so not sure on that one. I bought the C something, which is 2017's. Nothing reported about burn in for that one, everywhere you look it's basically touted as the best you can buy for the money. Just not quite as good as Sony's OLED panel but that's double the price.

I've been so pleased with it since I got it and set it up. It really is an amazing TV.

Reactions: Sensamic

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
The "6" models are last year's models (B6, C6, E6), the "7" models are the new ones. I just bought the C7 which is incredible.

B7 and C7 are almost identical spec-wise. The "C" series used to be curved, but the C6 was the last curved model, C7 is "normal".

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I just bought some Samsung monitor to replace the display on my iMac. 28” QLED, 4K, 1ms response rate, 1 billion colours, 125% sRGB blah blah etc. Apparently it’s incredible to see. I don’t fully intend to use it just for iMac/computer purposes... kinda interested to see how games run on it too. I don’t have any HDR or 4K capable consoles, but still reckon games will look nice. Mostly looking forward to seeing my photos explode! :)

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Yeah the B6 is last year's model so not sure on that one. I bought the C something, which is 2017's. Nothing reported about burn in for that one, everywhere you look it's basically touted as the best you can buy for the money. Just not quite as good as Sony's OLED panel but that's double the price.

I've been so pleased with it since I got it and set it up. It really is an amazing TV.

The only thing that I read about the 2017 C series is some of the HDMI ports were burning out. I believe there's been multiple threads on this on the Internet about it. I know Best Buy has had customers return it because of this, but I have no idea how widespread it is.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
The only thing that I read about the 2017 C series is some of the HDMI ports were burning out. I believe there's been multiple threads on this on the Internet about it. I know Best Buy has had customers return it because of this, but I have no idea how widespread it is.

How interesting, I didn't read anything in the pretty extensive research I did.
But shall keep an eye out, thanks!

Hopefully that doesn't happen... :eek:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
How interesting, I didn't read anything in the pretty extensive research I did.
But shall keep an eye out, thanks!

Hopefully that doesn't happen... :eek:

Perhaps @MRU can help with this. I believe he was also discussing this exact Same issue he was aware of with the 2017 model. MRU, can you link those threads with the HDMI ports failing for Aneres11? It's definitely not unheard of and it's been discussed before on various threads unrelated to this site.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Perhaps @MRU can help with this. I believe he was also discussing this exact Same issue he was aware of with the 2017 model. MRU, can you link those threads with the HDMI ports failing for Aneres11? It's definitely not unheard of and it's been discussed before on various threads unrelated to this site.

You'll have a job getting a response from MRU.
He left the forums. :(
Not too sure why, but everyone needs their own time and space so I guess he felt he needed to walk away from here for a bit.
He may be back in the future though, lets hope so anyway. :)

Reactions: 44267547

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Not too sure why, but everyone needs their own time and space so I guess he felt he needed to walk away from here for a bit.

That's unfortunate. He was one The most knowledgeable forum members on this site and one of the most respected too. I did not realize he left. Thanks for letting me know.

Reactions: Aneres11

mpConroe

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2017
Arbroath (UK) / Wroclaw (PL)
I was playing today with Gran Turismo Sport demo-beta. The game is nice but steering it's not that easy like my last racing game which was NFS:Shift on Xbox 360. Anyway, I ordered pre-order (lol) on amazon in steel case. Can't wait to try out the full version!

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005

Argh, did not know that! It's a loss for the forums for sure...

Reactions: Aneres11

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
I was playing today with Gran Turismo Sport demo-beta. The game is nice but steering it's not that easy like my last racing game which was NFS:Shift on Xbox 360. Anyway, I ordered pre-order (lol) on amazon in steel case. Can't wait to try out the full version!

Did you use the thumb sticks or the option to tilt the controller like a steering wheel? The latter was far easier for me.

BeefCake 15

macrumors 68020
May 15, 2015
I took my son (2) to the local electronics retailer today, in the mood to spend some money.

I left with nothing. Super poor selection, I was interested in Skyrim, Cities Skylines, Elite Dangerous, Resident Evil 7....nothing in stock. The new Uncharted and Dishonored spinoffs were nearly full retail price, way too much for what basically amounts to half a game.

Ah well, back to the backlog with me! :)

Every time I go to Game Stop and other game stores hoping to buy something, I leave depressed by the abusively expensive pricing compared to online sales...

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
Elite Dangerous is on sale for €13,99 in the PSN store.

How bad of a timesink is this game? Is it worth the investment (money and time)?

iosuser

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2012
Bought a Logitech G29 steering wheel last week, along with a Playseat challenge rig to mount it onto and sit in. That Playseat is a lot more comfortable than it looks. I had very low expectation buying it, but it far exceeded it. Playing a racing game with a gamepad now feels about as precise as playing on a keyboard lol.

The most unfortunate thing is that there is no universal wheel that works across all 3 platforms. All work with PC, but none works with XB1 and PS4, otherwise I will most likely pickup my XB1X Scorpio edition order. No big loss, as I already have both Forza titles running on my 1080Ti rig :) Actually there is a Fanatec that works on all 3 provided that you buy the separate wheel itself for your platform of choice, but that setup will be pushing $1k.

itsOver9000

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2013
B.F., KS
I ordered a bunch of Xbox 360 games to use up some gift cards I had:
Mass Effect 1, 2, 3
Batman Arkham Origins
Deus Ex Human Revolution
Condemned 2: Bloodshot
Saints Row IV
Overlord

:rolleyes:

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
Kind of off-topic question.

Just bought a new 2DS XL and was thinking of trying the virtual console to play some old Game Boy and SNES games.

If I do so, are those purchases tied to my Nintendo account or to the console hardware itself?

I still don't clearly understand if Nintendo has fixed this issue they had in the past, or so I've heard.

Thanks!

BeefCake 15

macrumors 68020
May 15, 2015
My friend brought in the Nintendo Switch to play over the weekend and I'm really impressed! The game prices are still a bit high now but I might be looking to get it when I start to finish the PS4 games. It seems to me like the Switch is the perfect successor to the Wii with improved sensors (no more IR), better mobility and great game graphics. On top of that, more Apps are coming to the console.

Really happy where Nintendo is going with it!

JohnGrey

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2012
Cincinnati Metro
Super Lucky's Tale for my 3D platformer collectathon fix. It's a decent enough but I have to ask the obvious: if Microsoft is publishing things like this, why do they not have someone doing a remake of Banjo-Kazooie? It doesn't even have to be Rare, after all Team Dakota did Conker's Big Reunion for Project Spark and it was passable enough given what it was. It kills me that the B-K and Conker IPs continue to be ignored.

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
Once again considering Elite: Dangerous on PS4, as it's on sale again.

Does it make any sense to just buy the core game without the "Horizons" expansion? What would I be missing?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.