Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JordanNZ

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2004
Auckland, New Zealand
Mobile 3060 at same native resolution and graphics settings is faster than M1 Ultra 48GPU so closer to 64GPU. For GPU compute workloads such as Blender it's ~2x faster. Mobile RTX3000 is old news anyway with even faster mobile RTX4000 coming out soon. :cool:

Blender BMW (lower time is better)
16.39s - Nvidia mobile 3060
34s - M1 Ultra 64GPU
37s - M1 Ultra 48GPU

Mobile 3060

M1 Ultra 48GPU

I love that you're comparing blender scores on the M1 series to a card with hardware accelerated raytracing.
Nice try.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
It's also unfair to compare a $1K product to a $5K product. It is what it is.😭

• Haha
Reactions: sunny5

Sgi_irix

Suspended
Oct 28, 2022
It's also unfair to compare a $1K product to a $5K product. It is what it is.😭
I’m struggling to understand your point tbh.

As far as I understand it, someone showed the M1 Max matching a 3080 laptop.
You denied it and showed Blender benchmarks where optimized nvidia(using optix) beats unoptimized Apple silicon and then Shadow of the Tomb Raider, again optimized for pc but not Apple Silicon.

Then someone pointed out that in Blender, optix makes it an unfair compariso, given we’re talking about raster performance.

Your answer is that it’s not fair that we compare more and less expensive computers.

Have I understood you correctly?

Colstan

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2020
LOL, you are comparing with UNSUPPORTED game and not even optimized for Apple Silicon. What kind of comparison is that? Epic fail.
Your answer is that it’s not fair that we compare more and less expensive computers.
You're both working under the assumption that this involves a logical, reasonable argument. There are posters here who don't care about that, and only wish to show that PCs are superior to Macs, and moving goalposts and false dichotomies are part of that strategy.

Multiple reviews have come out for Resident Evil Village for the Mac, and from the perspective of many of those users, the experience is impressive. I'm glad to have a newly released game that showcases Apple Silicon's prowess, and am encouraged by Apple's efforts with Metal 3. As someone who will never buy a PC, full stop, it doesn't matter to me what the PC guys say. I won't be switching, no matter what random Blender benchmarks are posted in a gaming forum.

Colstan

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2020
Resident Evil Village is currently number 1 in game sales on the Mac App Store:

chart.jpg

Considering that titles like the Sims and similar games appeal to a casual audience, it's encouraging to see a "AAA" title, that is directed toward a more dedicated gaming enthusiast crowd, has hit the top of the charts upon release. Hopefully, this will encourage more developers to release and optimize titles for Metal 3 and Apple Silicon.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Resident Evil Village is currently number 1 in game sales on the Mac App Store:

View attachment 2104912

Considering that titles like the Sims and similar games appeal to a casual audience, it's encouraging to see a "AAA" title, that is directed toward a more dedicated gaming enthusiast crowd, has hit the top of the charts upon release. Hopefully, this will encourage more developers to release and optimize titles for Metal 3 and Apple Silicon.
That is good, lets see how long it stays on the list at all (as in will it drop off the list next week, actually how often is this list updated).

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
So we got results for M1 Pro, M1 Max, anyone can test with M1 Ultra at 4K resolution and highest graphics ?

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
Hey MacRumors, can we get a quick article on the new game? Kind of a big deal for Apple gaming and nothing but crickets...support Mac gaming!
They did make an article last week. Maybe you missed it ?

But it requires a second article with game benchmarks on Apple Silicon vs PC. This will be pretty revealing.

Reactions: Irishman

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 13, 2021
They did make an article last week. Maybe you missed it ?

But it requires a second article with game benchmarks on Apple Silicon vs PC. This will be pretty revealing.
I saw it but an article that states something is coming in a week or two is quickly forgotten, people need to be reminded about it on the day of release or shortly after that way they can try and it comment. Imagine saying iOS 17 is coming out in a year then never acknowledging it when it does ha.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Hey MacRumors, can we get a quick article on the new game? Kind of a big deal for Apple gaming and nothing but crickets...support Mac gaming!

TLDR

Same game that ran via boot camp 1.5 years ago except now with a hit to image quality to run on Apple Silicon, lack of ray tracing support and costing more than Steam version. Apple silicon 'native' resolution looks like upscaled 720p. MetalFX 'quality' upscaling setting is the best compromise for visual quality with softer image and slight loss of detail. MetalFX 'performance' upscaling should be avoided unless you enjoy 360p DVD retro look.

Someone was nice enough to share in-game screenshots. Notice tree branches.

Apple silicon 3024x1964 native, quality and performance

Boot camp 3200x1800 native

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: sunny5

Roll$afe

Suspended
Oct 30, 2022
Lots of good points. The game looks great on the Mac. Much better than my pc when HDR is turned on. I've been surprised at perf too.

Reactions: Irishman

Nugat Trailers

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2021
TLDR

Same game that ran via boot camp 1.5 years ago except now with a hit to image quality to run on Apple Silicon, lack of ray tracing support and costing more than Steam version. Apple silicon 'native' resolution looks like upscaled 720p. MetalFX 'quality' upscaling setting is the best compromise for visual quality with softer image and slight loss of detail. MetalFX 'performance' upscaling should be avoided unless you enjoy 360p DVD retro look.

Someone was nice enough to share in-game screenshots. Notice tree branches.

Apple silicon 3024x1964 native, quality and performance

Boot camp 3200x1800 native
I know whenever I play a game, the most important thing to me isn't how the enemies look, feel or react,it isn't fps or gameplay, it's how tree branches look.

Reactions: Homy and Irishman

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
I know whenever I play a game, the most important thing to me isn't how the enemies look, feel or react,it isn't fps or gameplay, it's how tree branches look.
I am not sticking up for the poster, but a common complaint of upscaling like MetalFX is the shimmering of thin objects like tree branches and fences (and the like) while in motion. I think Apple did a good job on their first try at it though, hopefully the next iteration of it can get rid of things like that (and not make the image softer as well).

jeanlain

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2009
except now with a hit to image quality to run on Apple Silicon
Please explain. One cannot disable metalFX? You screenshots don't prove much since they don't specify the settings.
lack of ray tracing support
Which Mac supports ray tracing in boot camp?
MetalFX 'performance' upscaling should be avoided unless you enjoy 360p DVD retro look.
Post a "360p DVD retro look" render of the game to compare to the same scene with Metal FX, thanks.

Good job making MR "a graveyard of misinformation".

Last edited:

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
I hear it is quite nice on macOS though.

Yeah it's nice but $40 and Mac App Store exclusive, especially when I already own a gaming PC and Steam Deck and own the game there, there's no reason for me to double dip at full price on the Mac App Store. And it's gonna stay at that price since nothing on the Mac App Store ever goes on sale.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Yeah it's nice but $40 and Mac App Store exclusive, especially when I already own a gaming PC and Steam Deck and own the game there, there's no reason for me to double dip at full price on the Mac App Store. And it's gonna stay at that price since nothing on the Mac App Store ever goes on sale.
"AAPL Hat": I am not seeing the problem here. :D

/removes hat
yeah, I am curious to see if Apple can get more "AAA" publishers/developers to skip Steam and the Epic Store and go MAS.

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
"AAPL Hat": I am not seeing the problem here. :D

/removes hat
yeah, I am curious to see if Apple can get more "AAA" publishers/developers to skip Steam and the Epic Store and go MAS.

Unless Apple gives them a nice bag of cash no they won't. Publishers go to Steam for a reason, as it's the objectively better service both for developers and users, even with Steam for Mac being scuffed right now. It's to the point developers are opting for shorter exclusivity periods on the Epic Game Store so they can get on Steam faster and recoup their loss sales.

I fear No Man's Sky is gonna be on the Mac App Store only as well. That game would be excellent for my Macbook Pro.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Unless Apple gives them a nice bag of cash no they won't. Publishers go to Steam for a reason, as it's the objectively better service both for developers and users, even with Steam for Mac being scuffed right now. It's to the point developers are opting for shorter exclusivity periods on the Epic Game Store so they can get on Steam faster and recoup their loss sales.

I fear No Man's Sky is gonna be on the Mac App Store only as well. That game would be excellent for my Macbook Pro.
Makes you wonder what Apple gave to Capcom for MAS exclusivity... I suspect NMS will be MAS exclusive as well since it is supposed to also have an iPad version.

GrumpyCoder

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2016
As long as they pay for it and studios agree to it, why not? The MAS is part of the deal, as is the lack of an Intel version. The real question is, what's going to happen once that deal runs out... will they release an Intel version and bring it to Steam then or just leave the Apple world behind?

DrCC

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2021
Canada
Can you set the rendering resolution separate from the display resolution? I want to game this on an external 4K display, but I don't think my M1 Air can render at 4K with acceptable frame rates.

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
Makes you wonder what Apple gave to Capcom for MAS exclusivity... I suspect NMS will be MAS exclusive as well since it is supposed to also have an iPad version.

Probably about two million dollars. Microsoft paid 2.5 million to get Ark Survival Evolved on Xbox Game Pass, then another 2.3 million to have Ark 2 day one on Game Pass. They also paid about 2 million to get SEGA/Atlus to bring Persona 5 Royal to Xbox. Could be higher since this deal was also to get the game ported to macOS to begin with.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.