Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Probably about two million dollars. Microsoft paid 2.5 million to get Ark Survival Evolved on Xbox Game Pass, then another 2.3 million to have Ark 2 day one on Game Pass. They also paid about 2 million to get SEGA/Atlus to bring Persona 5 Royal to Xbox. Could be higher since this deal was also to get the game ported to macOS to begin with.
Apple would need 200k units of RE8 moved to make that investment back. Doesn't seem like a lot when you have something like 30 million potential takers.

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
Apple would need 200k units of RE8 moved to make that investment back. Doesn't seem like a lot when you have something like 30 million potential takers.

But will they actually take? Remember, Resident Evil Village is not a new game, it came out last year, and the majority of people are not gonna buy a Mac to play, they're gonna play it on a Playstation 5 or a gaming PC especially when the game is cheaper there.

There needs to be more games, games that the Mac audience would want to impulse buy on sight. But that would be dependent on Apple giving more developers a bag to do it.

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 13, 2021
But will they actually take? Remember, Resident Evil Village is not a new game, it came out last year, and the majority of people are not gonna buy a Mac to play, they're gonna play it on a Playstation 5 or a gaming PC especially when the game is cheaper there.

There needs to be more games, games that the Mac audience would want to impulse buy on sight. But that would be dependent on Apple giving more developers a bag to do it.
It’s a convenience game for me. I will never own a PC again, just not my thing anymore, and even if I could find a next gen console it’s not all-in-one portable. Additionally, if you rarely play games there’s little need to buy a dedicated machine as I genuinely don’t care enough about gaming but if a cool game like RE or GoW came out and I can play it on my laptop (even on battery) then why the hell not.

JordanNZ

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2004
Auckland, New Zealand

It's currently sitting at the top of the games chart on the Mac App Store. Let's see how long it stays there for. But so far so good.

Nugat Trailers

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2021
Plus part of it is the opportunity. Having the engine on, and some experience working with, the Mac and Metal 3, reduces the cost of bringing another RE title across.

It does also show that the Mac can indeed run some pretty games without much effort, at least compared to the Intel GPU counterparts.

CMMChris

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2019
Germany (Bavaria)
Can you set the rendering resolution separate from the display resolution?
Yes you can. Simply disable MetalFX Upscaling. This unlocks the image quality setting. Default is 1, which is the screen resolution. If you set it to 2, it would be double the screen resolution. If you render in a higher resolution, make sure to disable antialiasing to optimize performance.

Reactions: DrCC

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Do you think it would run well on the base 14" MBP?

This is for 14" MBP 10CPU 16GPU 16GB so yours should be good for 1920x1200 max preset native or MetalFX quality. Maybe 2560x1440 max preset with MetalFX quality.

qmqgq377dnw91.png

XboxEvolved

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2004
So far so good. Impressive to see it run on an M1 MBP and I'd say about Xbox Series S quality. The first time I've actually heard more fans rev up for more than a few seconds, and the warmest I've consistently felt my MBP, so if you have a M1 MBP and are looking for something to display its power this is a perfect game for that.

jwahaus

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2022
Anyone else notice extreme battery drain when playing this game? I'm on a 6 months old 14" Macbook Pro M1pro (10/16) and noticed the battery go from 100% to 23% in less than 2 hours when playing this game. Is this normal? I thought the battery life is supposed to be around 10 hours? I expect that the high CPU/GPU usage along with the display HDR mode is to blame but I didn't expect such a shortened run time on battery.

• Haha
Reactions: Te0SX and CMMChris

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Do the math. Formula for battery life is roughly:

battery size in watt hour / workload in watt = battery life in hours

14" M1 Pro battery size is 69.6 watt-hours. M1 Pro CPU and GPU each have max power consumption of ~30W for combined potential of ~60W max. Games mostly use GPU with little CPU so probably close to 30W for GPU and maybe around 20% for CPU so ~6W for combined ~36W. That works out to...

69.6 watt-hours / 36W = 1.93 hours

To get 10 hours of battery life you have to reduce your workload to 6.96 watt so about a 1/5th of the power consumption.

69.6 watt-hours / 10 hours = 6.96 watt

Kayakphotos

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2012
Naples, FL
Would I be able to use the ps4 controller for this game? I have a lot of random work breaks during the day and it would be cool to be able to fire up a game on my laptop. It looks like the performance is probably similar to my ps4 pro, even on my m1 macbook air.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
So has anyone done a M1 to M2 comparison with this game? I don't think I've seen anyone talk about the differences (in this game) between the two.

Bento.Box

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2022
Anyone else notice extreme battery drain when playing this game? I'm on a 6 months old 14" Macbook Pro M1pro (10/16) and noticed the battery go from 100% to 23% in less than 2 hours when playing this game. Is this normal? I thought the battery life is supposed to be around 10 hours? I expect that the high CPU/GPU usage along with the display HDR mode is to blame but I didn't expect such a shortened run time on battery.

Yes, that's normal.

Games use quite a lot of power, especially from GPU.

The M1 MBPs are quite efficient, when doing office work they use almost "no" power.
I can use mine for work without recharging for a whole day, but if I play Resident evil village, the battery is drained in rougly 2 hours as well.

sunny5

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2021
Still no comparison testing between M1 Max/Ultra and RTX 3090 and mobile RTX 3080?

sunny5

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2021
Here is a comparison between M1 Max and mobile 3070 Ti:

Hmmm, that's bad. Apple advertised that M1 Max = 12900HK + mobile RTX 3080 performance. And yet the performance difference is twice slower than PC laptop which is not even mobile 3080.

I have to say, Mac gaming still sucks even with the native porting.

Last edited:

Homy

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2006
Sweden
Hmmm, that's bad. Apple advertised that M1 Max = 12900HK + mobile RTX 3080 performance. And yet the performance difference is twice slower than PC laptop which is not even mobile 3080.

I have to say, Mac gaming still sucks even with the native porting.

Apple didn't say M1 Max can beat 3080 in games. You can measure performance in different ways and apps. If the number of fps is everything for you and you always need 130 fps then yeah, Mac gaming sucks. If not you should keep watching the video when he talks about "the problem with pc gaming". Sounds like you missed that part. You seem to be forgetting important factors like power consumption, efficiency, battery time, temperature and noise level.

For me 60-70 fps at 1440p and high settings in a single-player FPS is perfectly fine. I wouldn't want a laptop that manages 130 fps but runs much hotter (25 degrees C more), much louder with the fans at full blast, draws 220W (3x M1 Max) and must be connected to a power outlet to get max performance and not to drain its battery fast, things that were mentioned in the video too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Irishman
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.