Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Doc69

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2005
Does anyone know if iTunes/Retroactive 1.9 still works as it should after upgrading from Big Sur to Monterey?

Koufax32

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2020
Now that I have most of my iTunes functionality restored after my terrible decision to upgrade from 10.14 to 11.5, I am being prompted to upgrade to Monterey. I'm hesitant to do so, as the whole point of recent macOS "upgrades" seems to be to rob users of as much functionality as possible. Anybody know if "upgrading" to Monterey is going to have adverse effects on running iTunes through Retroactive? Thanks.

Jack Neill

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2015
San Antonio Texas
Now that I have most of my iTunes functionality restored after my terrible decision to upgrade from 10.14 to 11.5, I am being prompted to upgrade to Monterey. I'm hesitant to do so, as the whole point of recent macOS "upgrades" seems to be to rob users of as much functionality as possible. Anybody know if "upgrading" to Monterey is going to have adverse effects on running iTunes through Retroactive? Thanks.
12.9.5 won't work on M1 at all, but I installed 10.7 on my M1 Air and it works just fine. I used 12.9.5 on Big Sur on Intel on several machines. I imagine 12.x will be fine.

Reactions: Mr. Retrofire

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
I've recently migrated to Big Sur and the iTunes 12.6.5 app I was using in Catalina no longer lets me log into the store.
I've installed iTunes 12.6.5 with Retroactive and it's the same problem, nothing happens when I click the account link or when I select it from the menu.

• Wow
Reactions: B4U

kevvyc

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2012
Probably not a consolation for most of you, but the Windows version of iTunes 12.6.5 still works in VirtualBox running on macOS if that's a potential option for folks.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

shelant

macrumors member
Jan 20, 2008
US
For a large iTunes library, would it make sense to buy an Intel based Mac Mini (on Black Friday sale for $400) and just use it as a dedicated iTunes machine to serve my large household? I have a 2009 Mac Pro which cannot be updated past Mojave, but it is still working fine and running iTunes and other old apps. I am worried it might be on its last leg, because the OS cannot be upgraded, therefore some apps stopped updating as well...

Reactions: MBAir2010

lcubed

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2020
For a large iTunes library, would it make sense to buy an Intel based Mac Mini (on Black Friday sale for $400) and just use it as a dedicated iTunes machine to serve my large household? I have a 2009 Mac Pro which cannot be updated past Mojave, but it is still working fine and running iTunes and other old apps. I am worried it might be on its last leg, because the OS cannot be upgraded, therefore some apps stopped updating as well...

if you're willing to take the time, it's quite possible to install up to 10.15 relatively easily on the 2009 mac pro.
(just did one yesterday). there's a huge thread for it in this sub-forum.

dataid

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2020
USA
Your MacPro can be upgraded to Monterey 12.1 provided you use a Metal capable graphics card and using the OpenCore boot loader. Look for the OpenCore thread on MacRumors

k9malinda

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2010
trying to get iPhoto and iTunes on M1 / Monterrey- both load, but then crash - any advise on how to make it work on this computer?

Airsculpture

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2020
trying to get iPhoto and iTunes on M1 / Monterrey- both load, but then crash - any advise on how to make it work on this computer?
Don’t believe it does on an M1

Many reports of issues, only successes I’ve seen are on Intel.

HugoMe

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2014
Anyone tried Aperture on Monterrey?
I haven't, but from what I've been told :
There are big bugs on M1. Basically making it unusable.
On Intel, Aperture is working BUT it won't preview RAW picture anymore (Raw images that used to be visible under Big Sur) ...which renders it almost useless if you used to shoot Raw images.

onnyt

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2008
Philippines
I haven't, but from what I've been told :
There are big bugs on M1. Basically making it unusable.
On Intel, Aperture is working BUT it won't preview RAW picture anymore (Raw images that used to be visible under Big Sur) ...which renders it almost useless if you used to shoot Raw images.
I recently upgraded from Mojave to Big Sur on my iMac i9 and the reason that I stayed that long on Mojave was Aperture only. Now when Pixelmator is so well integrated with Photos I finally took the leap and converted all of my iPhoto and Aperture libraries. I still have a massive Aperture library left to convert (650 GB) so I guess I have to get another HD to copy it to. My backups are still in the Aperture/iPhoto format and that is the reason I’m asking and thanks for the reply by the way.

Koufax32

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2020
Several months ago I ran Retroactive to install iTunes, but stupidly chose iTunes 11.4 rather than 12.x. If I run Retroactive again to install its most recent version of iTunes, will it update the iTunes 1-.4 from my original Retroactive install, or will it create a NEW iTunes app from my Apple Music app? Many thanks in advance.

Airsculpture

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2020
Several months ago I ran Retroactive to install iTunes, but stupidly chose iTunes 11.4 rather than 12.x. If I run Retroactive again to install its most recent version of iTunes, will it update the iTunes 1-.4 from my original Retroactive install, or will it create a NEW iTunes app from my Apple Music app? Many thanks in advance.
Back up and then try.

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
New version Retroactive 2.0 https://github.com/cormiertyshawn895/Retroactive/releases
Retroactive 2.0 improves compatibility with macOS Ventura and macOS Monterey:
  • Resolves a problem where iPhoto quits unexpectedly on macOS Monterey 12.3 or later
  • Fixes an issue where Full Disk Access cannot be enabled for iTunes on macOS Ventura
  • Adds instructions to use iTunes 12.9.5 on Mac computers with Apple Silicon

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.