Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HugoMe

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2014
I haven't, but from what I've been told :
There are big bugs on M1. Basically making it unusable.
On Intel, Aperture is working BUT it won't preview RAW picture anymore (Raw images that used to be visible under Big Sur) ...which renders it almost useless if you used to shoot Raw images.
I have since upgraded to Monterrey and I confirm you can't preview your raw files anymore within Aperture.
You can still switch to Jpeg if you happened to have shot in Raw+jpeg, and preview the jpeg. You can view the raw file in the finder. By the way, there used to be a difference in finder when viewing jpeg and raw. Not anymore. Seems that Apple has decided to render raw as jpegs :-(

peacockharris

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2022
I'm not sure how many people here are familiar with Final Cut Pro 7, but my OSX update from Sierra (along with the necessary running of Retroactive) appears to have broken some functionality.

1. It broke a plugin I use often (Magic Bullet Colorista). Not a big deal, but it would be nice if I could re-enable it again. It took me a while to figure out what was wrong, as all my projects where I'd used the plugin refused to open and would just hang indefinitely.

2. The 'pinch to zoom' gestures on my trackpad no longer work within Final Cut (it works everywhere else, so it doesn't appear to be a system issue). This issue is the most serious as I use this functionality all the time. Not having it is making FCP basically unusable for me.

I'm desperate for a fix, or even just to find out whether i'm alone in experiencing this. If other users haven't encountered this issue, perhaps there's hope I can fix it.

I've already tried the obvious things, such as trashing preferences.

Last edited:

Lounge Deluxe

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2009
Amsterdam
I’ve been using Retroactive 1.9 on Big Sur to install iTunes and although iTunes did work I also noticed that many iTunes related utilities did not recognize iTunes, e.g. Smarts and WhatsOn. I’ve now reverted back to Mojave with native iTunes, but did I perhaps do something wrong? Is it possible after all to register iTunes as the ‘main’ audio app?

peacockharris

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2022
I'm not sure how many people here are familiar with Final Cut Pro 7, but my OSX update from Sierra (along with the necessary running of Retroactive) appears to have broken some functionality.

1. It broke a plugin I use often (Magic Bullet Colorista). Not a big deal, but it would be nice if I could re-enable it again. It took me a while to figure out what was wrong, as all my projects where I'd used the plugin refused to open and would just hang indefinitely.

2. The 'pinch to zoom' gestures on my trackpad no longer work within Final Cut (it works everywhere else, so it doesn't appear to be a system issue). This issue is the most serious as I use this functionality all the time. Not having it is making FCP basically unusable for me.

I'm desperate for a fix, or even just to find out whether i'm alone in experiencing this. If other users haven't encountered this issue, perhaps there's hope I can fix it.

I've already tried the obvious things, such as trashing preferences.
Still hoping for a response to this. Surely I'm not the only one encountering this issue? Pinch to zoom is a key piece of functionality and has become second nature when editing. The fact I now can't use it means my new Mac Mini (bought exclusively for editing) is an expensive paperweight.

Other gestures (such as scrubbing through the timeline with 2 fingers) still work fine. Completely baffling.

peacockharris

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2022
Still hoping for a response to this. Surely I'm not the only one encountering this issue? Pinch to zoom is a key piece of functionality and has become second nature when editing. The fact I now can't use it means my new Mac Mini (bought exclusively for editing) is an expensive paperweight.

Other gestures (such as scrubbing through the timeline with 2 fingers) still work fine. Completely baffling.
As far as a fix goes, I've yet to find one, or even find other people experiencing this issue. But for the sake of any future people stumbling across this thread, I've found a workaround that performs adequately for my purposes.

There's an app called 'BetterTouchTool' that lets you bind simulated keypresses to specific trackpad gestures. You can also set it to only exhibit this behaviour in a particular app. So I've set pinch to zoom (both in and out actions) to the respective FCP7 keyboard shortcuts (cmd - & cmd +). After playing around with the sensitivity a bit, I've got a decent facsimile of how the native zoom behaved.

BetterTouchTool is paid software, but there's a legacy version available with a free license if you're willing to dig around for it.

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
Thanks ! I downloaded and I was trying to get iTunes 12.9.5 for BigSur - Just updated my iMac - but there is no download of any iTunes : The request timed out several times.
Do you know any other solution to get it to work? I have a version 12.9.5 that I used with Mojave but of course is blocked.
What should I do to have it working ?
It unlocked with no problem Aperture and iPhoto . If I could unlock iTunes 12.9.5 would be great.

P.s. I was able to download it on my MBP , so I copied it but what should I allow to have full disk access (-drag me on Full disk access)?

Last edited:

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
I have a version 12.9.5 that I used with Mojave but of course is blocked.
All you have to do is copy iTunes 12.9.5 from Mojave and change 12.9.5 into 13.9.5 in its Info.plist file. There is an AppleScript for that ;)

Code:
set theAPP to choose file with prompt "Please select iTunes app:" of type {"app"}
do shell script "plutil -replace CFBundleGetInfoString -string 'iTunes 13.9.5.5' " & POSIX path of theAPP & "Contents/Info.plist" with administrator privileges
do shell script "plutil -replace CFBundleShortVersionString -string 13.9.5 " & POSIX path of theAPP & "Contents/Info.plist" with administrator privileges
do shell script "plutil -replace CFBundleVersion -string 13.9.5 " & POSIX path of theAPP & "Contents/Info.plist" with administrator privileges
do shell script "touch " & POSIX path of theAPP with administrator privileges
display dialog "iTunes was patched" buttons {"OK"} default button 1

An old post #98
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/itunes-12-6-5-3-on-macos-catalina-10-15.2184518/post-27843550

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: B4U and katbel

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
All you have to do is copy iTunes 12.9.5 from Mojave and change 12.9.5 into 13.9.5 in its Info.plist file. There is an AppleScript for that ;)

Code:
set theAPP to choose file with prompt "Please select iTunes app:" of type {"app"}
do shell script "plutil -replace CFBundleGetInfoString -string 'iTunes 13.9.5.5' " & POSIX path of theAPP & "Contents/Info.plist" with administrator privileges
do shell script "plutil -replace CFBundleShortVersionString -string 13.9.5 " & POSIX path of theAPP & "Contents/Info.plist" with administrator privileges
do shell script "plutil -replace CFBundleVersion -string 13.9.5 " & POSIX path of theAPP & "Contents/Info.plist" with administrator privileges

An old post #98
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/itunes-12-6-5-3-on-macos-catalina-10-15.2184518/post-27843550
Thanks so much, as usual!

Now I have two iTunes 12.6.5 and 12.9.5 , need both for different devices 🙂

• Love
Reactions: bogdanw

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
I have since upgraded to Monterrey and I confirm you can't preview your raw files anymore within Aperture.
You can still switch to Jpeg if you happened to have shot in Raw+jpeg, and preview the jpeg. You can view the raw file in the finder. By the way, there used to be a difference in finder when viewing jpeg and raw. Not anymore. Seems that Apple has decided to render raw as jpegs :-(

That's a shame to hear - While I'm using Capture One for my DSLR RAW development now, I still rely on Aperture for ingesting images to a folder-based referenced library format for all my cameras and iOS devices, and iTunes for syncing the (reduced size) iOS device images back to the devices. Aperture is also the "browse through my life and figure what i was doing when by photos" appliction, by virtue of supporting all those devices.

Maybe this means Big Sur is really the effective end of the line for this. It does make me wonder though, if CMYE's Peakto is still able to read the Aperture library, or if it's using its own RAW engine.

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
Oh my. 😍
Thank you!
Then the only thing I am gonna miss from Mojave would be the Dashboard, which quite frankly is almost useless now with almost all the widgets dead.
Dashboard lives in Notification on the right of your screen: lots of widgets .
I was missing Dragthing, but knowing they stopped to update it, I created a folder with all the app aliases I use and I keep it in the dock: it works great and no complaints 🙂

Reactions: B4U

XXX_0924

macrumors member
May 1, 2019
cuba
Yes, it does, I just did a backup and shared two files and worked, like the old times 🙂
mi pregunta es como descargara aplicaciones igual que en los viejos tiempos desde iTunes e actualizarlas e intentado cambiando puertos modificando archivos y nada no conecta con la tienda de apple en cambio en window itunes 12.6.5 funciona perfectamente con la tienda de aplicaciones

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
mi pregunta es como descargara aplicaciones igual que en los viejos tiempos desde iTunes e actualizarlas e intentado cambiando puertos modificando archivos y nada no conecta con la tienda de apple en cambio en window itunes 12.6.5 funciona perfectamente con la tienda de aplicaciones
Safari doesn't translate from Spanish yet 🙂
Please write in English, thanks

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
No puedes en macOS./You can’t on macOS.

Insidious

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2017
Thanks ! I downloaded and I was trying to get iTunes 12.9.5 for BigSur - Just updated my iMac - but there is no download of any iTunes : The request timed out several times.
Do you know any other solution to get it to work? I have a version 12.9.5 that I used with Mojave but of course is blocked.
It unlocked with no problem Aperture and iPhoto . If I could unlock iTunes 12.9.5 would be great.

P.s. I was able to download it on my MBP , so I copied it but what should I allow to have full disk access (-drag me on Full disk access)?

Code:

An old post #98
Wait, is that why Retroactive 2.0 no longer works for installing 12.9.5? I had it working fine on Catalina, but when I upgraded to Big Sur 11.7.4 via OCLP, iTunes stopped opening. I tried reinstalling it with Retroactive 2.0 and it appears to crash before completing the install. The only version that works is iTunes Classic, although I'd rather use 12.9.5. I've been googling trying to figure out why Retroactive no longer works and nobody seems to be talking about it. The github doesn't seem to have any updates anymore, although I do see similar issues filed under the issues section. Does the creator frequent anywhere? I'm hoping Retroactive gets updated soon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.