Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

peapody

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2007
San Francisco, CA
Thanks and that's a pretty picture with the backlit keyboard in the BG;)
Also where do you or others download movies to put on the sd card and what app do you use to play music/movies from?

You can play movies and music directly from the AirStor app. The cool thing is that it works with apple tv too. My entire library consists of m4v files so it plays all of them. Not sure about other file types. I work hard to streamline my media.

Zmanbaseball2

macrumors 68040
Aug 24, 2012
New York, USA
You can play movies and music directly from the AirStor app. The cool thing is that it works with apple tv too. My entire library consists of m4v files so it plays all of them. Not sure about other file types. I work hard to streamline my media.

Where do I legally get movies to buy and download? See if this will work for me...

mrbliss

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2006
I think it is worth contacting the Musicmount developers and asking them if such a drive is supported.
Actually a quick scan of the Musicmount site gives this...

http://musicmount.org/2014/02/18/wireless-drives/

Thanks. I'll email them.

I've previously emailed RAVpower to ask about apps. They didn't mention MusicMount, but recommended Oplayer and Aceplayer, but these still don't appear to be great for music use. I'll also ermail them about MusicMount, their customer service is really good.

Looking at the instructions for other devices and from what I've gleaned from this thread so far, the base URL will be something like: http://10.10.10.254/media/usb1

Can anyone confirm?

peapody

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2007
San Francisco, CA
I purchased musicmount and with the help of their excellent customer support, got this working on the ravpower device. Works great, and the interface is awesome. Great $4 spent!

One time purchase works on both iPad and iPhones..so well worth it if you want to use the ravpower as a music streaming device. I am told that you can get about 9 hours of continuous playback before the ravpower runs out of juice..

mrbliss

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2006
I purchased musicmount and with the help of their excellent customer support, got this working on the ravpower device. Works great, and the interface is awesome. Great $4 spent!

One time purchase works on both iPad and iPhones..so well worth it if you want to use the ravpower as a music streaming device. I am told that you can get about 9 hours of continuous playback before the ravpower runs out of juice..

[url=http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7441/12728869495_e9d2259bb7_z.jpg]Image[/url]

[url=http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5479/12729035473_e53470e7f2_z.jpg]Image[/url]
That's great news.

Would you be able to bullet out a step by step guide for a complete novice to get MusicMount up and running on an iPad with Ravpower? That would be incredibly helpful as all the posts in the thread I mentioned above have disappeared.

peapody

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2007
San Francisco, CA
That's great news.

Would you be able to bullet out a step by step guide for a complete novice to get MusicMount up and running on an iPad with Ravpower? That would be incredibly helpful as all the posts in the thread I mentioned above have disappeared.

Wow I can't believe that entire thread was deleted. I guess it was off topic..but there was a real need for that kind of information on the interwebs. I'll have to see if I can remember everything - I saved the link to the other tread to repeat what I needed to do. Bummer.

I'll post as soon as I can.

mrbliss

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2006
Wow I can't believe that entire thread was deleted. I guess it was off topic..but there was a real need for that kind of information on the interwebs. I'll have to see if I can remember everything - I saved the link to the other tread to repeat what I needed to do. Bummer.

I'll post as soon as I can.

A week after querying this, I finally got a response from the forum administrators:

"I checked the thread in question. Unfortunately, the thread attracted shills and spammers, all of whom were posting in violation of the Forum Rules. All such posts, and all responses to those posts, had to be deleted.

We've left your original post intact, and we hope you get good answers from genuine members who post within the rules!"

I can only think that by "shrills and spammers" they mean the MusicMount developer, I didn't notice anything else? I thought MusicMount demonstrated excellent customer service by responding directly to a post about their product which was in no way "spamming" the thread and even then, deleting the whole thread was a very excessive way of dealing with this and was very unhelpful to the other members in the thread.

Any chance you can get that guide together peabody?

peapody

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2007
San Francisco, CA
A week after querying this, I finally got a response from the forum administrators:

"I checked the thread in question. Unfortunately, the thread attracted shills and spammers, all of whom were posting in violation of the Forum Rules. All such posts, and all responses to those posts, had to be deleted.

We've left your original post intact, and we hope you get good answers from genuine members who post within the rules!"

I can only think that by "shrills and spammers" they mean the MusicMount developer, I didn't notice anything else? I thought MusicMount demonstrated excellent customer service by responding directly to a post about their product which was in no way "spamming" the thread and even then, deleting the whole thread was a very excessive way of dealing with this and was very unhelpful to the other members in the thread.

Any chance you can get that guide together peabody?

I agree and I actually got in contact with musicmount again directly. EXCELLENT customer service.

He mentioned that they posted a video on how to get this running on your wifidisk. I went through the video and it basically shows you exactly what you need to do - much better than the instructions. I told Christoph at music mount where I got lost in the instructions, and he is taking the feedback to make things simpler.

How-to video

The video here is great. You should definitely take a look.

esskay

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2008
Hey guys, this is all great info. I'm trying to figure out the best way to set up several devices. We have a family of four -- everyone has their own iPhone or iPod touch, plus two wifi iPads. I had been planning to try to setup iTunes on the family Mac Mini, with songs stored on the NAS, so that I could centralize the music library and then push them out to the devices. But that is such a confusing setup that I still haven't done it after a year of procrastination. Plus a couple of the devices have smaller memory.

It sounds like using MusicMatch to access the song library might be an easier solution -- via the NAS at home, and via something like the RAVpower when we're traveling. What do guys think? The downside is that it seems then I'd have to keep the song library synchronized between the NAS and the RAVpower. Regardless I do like being able to easily load some videos onto the RAVpower for travel without worrying about tight memory on my kids devices.

Or should I just use the built in Audio server provided by Synology? On the road, though, it wouldn't help for the kids who only have wifi.

Appreciate any thoughts.

chimpusmaximus

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2014
Has any one worked out how to get a for instance a mov file held on an sd card to be accessible on the ipad in other apps such as imovie?

I have a car camera and would like to get get the files into something like imovie for editing.

Thanks

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
Has any one worked out how to get a for instance a mov file held on an sd card to be accessible on the ipad in other apps such as imovie?

I have a car camera and would like to get get the files into something like imovie for editing.

Thanks

As long as it is a a format supported by iOS, you just need to download the mov file into the Ravpower app and share it to your Camera Roll. It will then be available to iMovie.

chimpusmaximus

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2014
I did a test by taking a mov file i recorded on the ipad and moved it by upload to the sd card. I was then able to copy it back but do not get an option to put it on the ipad photo folder just the local folders the app creates.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.