Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
I did a test by taking a mov file i recorded on the ipad and moved it by upload to the sd card. I was then able to copy it back but do not get an option to put it on the ipad photo folder just the local folders the app creates.

It's not very intuitive but you can copy this file back into the Camera Roll - I don't have the WifiDisk with me to confirm exactly how you do it but can confirm tomorrow if you are still stuck with this.

Pedro883420

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2014
Received one of these yesterday and overall I am very happy with it as a product. My main reason for purchase was to supplement disk space on my work issue iPhone 5 since they only supply a 16Gb model. After using this FileHub, I can see my only buying the base model of iPad in the future instead of my current 64Gb model. Why spend the extra £120 for a 64Gb model when the 16Gb and this device will give me what I need!

A few observations.

IOS app. Works 100% for me every time. This is the latest version of the Airstor app and device firmware. It always connects and all transfers I tried completed successfully without issue. My main use for the device is movies and photographs when I am travelling. The app will play back IOS supported movies without issue. Unsupported movies will give you the option of downloading. Once downloaded, the app will give you the option to open in another app so provided you have a media player that supports the file you are trying then this is an acceptable way of getting access to the media - you need to download and then transfer to the supported app instead of just streaming. The alternative is to use an app that supports streaming and SMB - see below.

Download speed. While the transfers are way fast enough for streaming a movie, I like the option of downloading to my choice of app for playing locally instead of streaming. I haven't timed this properly yet but regardless of the source being a normal USB pen drive or a high speed SD card, I was only getting transfer speeds of a bit over 1Mb/sec. Not a deal breaker but it was taking around 10 minutes to transfer a 700Mb movie file.

Movie streaming. I was streaming 720p content to my iPhone 5 and it was streaming flawlessly without a single issue. This was both with MP4 in the Airstor app and also MKV in the nPlayer app.

SMB sharing. Using nPlayer as my media player of choice, I couldn't find the FileHub doing an SMB search. I could set it up as a manual connection using the IP address of 10.10.10.254 and username of admin. This would see the FileHub but as soon as I tried to access any content folders, I would get a connection refused error. I set up a password for the FileHub and rebooted it and tried with my manual connection again. This time, nPlayer could navigate the folders and stream perfectly or download the file for local playback. It seems you need to set a password before you can use SMB.

Disk format. I tried an SD card formatted as exFAT and this could not be read by the FileHub. I'm not sure if exFAT would work with a USB drive or not but I see this as a real limitation of the FileHub. FAT and FAT32 work fine and looking at the firmware notes, it appears NTFS does too.

Photographs. At a push, this device could work as a replacement to the camera connection kit. Inserting an SD card or USB drive (CF card using a USB card reader) lets you browse your images and select specific or all images. You can upload these to your IOS device, the Airstor app lets you navigate it's own internal folder hierarchy and select a location. You could then open these images in your camera roll although I'm not sure if you can open multiple images in one go. This isn't as elegant a solution as the camera connection kit and involves an extra step but it is at least functional. What is probably of more use is the ability to upload images from your IOS device directly to an SD card or USB drive say when on vacation either as a backup or to allow you to then free up that space on the IOS device. You also have the option of using this method to share these files with other users although there are already apps that let you do that directly via Wifi or Bluetooth and airdrop in IOS 7 will also let you do this sharing function.

For me, this purchase is a no brainer if you want to travel with a lot of media and are running short on space on your IOS device or if you have just the base model to start with. It also makes sense for a whole family travelling with IOS devices as you can treat this as a portable NAS device and share content to all clients. You can easily swap out SD cards and USB drives when required but because it is a full sized SD slot, you can insert a large capacity SD card fully so it sits flush with the unit and use it as a form of semi permanent storage. You can pick up Ravpower Wireless Filehub and a 64GB SDXC card for less than half the price it would cost you to upgrade from a 16GB to 64GB iPad. You may lose a little bit of convenience with the limited internal storage but you would gain much more practicality and flexibility as well as this being a one off cost so you would save even more each time you bought a new iPad for example.

I'm a fan and the only two things I would love to see are improved transfer speeds and exFAT support.

Amazing post, you just answered all my questions that I didn't questioned because, well..you already said. Almost. I didn't understand the "streaming" part. You said that to watch a video in mov, you just open with ios native player, but to watch a movie in a different format you have to download it. But then you talk about streaming...with nPlayer (I gess..like any other app). How it's that possible? It will work with VLC with .srt subtitles? (everybody want to know I think) How smooth it plays a 720p movie in mkv in streaming?

Thanks! I'm considering buy this product if it really do all this!

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
Amazing post, you just answered all my questions that I didn't questioned because, well..you already said. Almost. I didn't understand the "streaming" part. You said that to watch a video in mov, you just open with ios native player, but to watch a movie in a different format you have to download it. But then you talk about streaming...with nPlayer (I gess..like any other app). How it's that possible? It will work with VLC with .srt subtitles? (everybody want to know I think) How smooth it plays a 720p movie in mkv in streaming?

Thanks! I'm considering buy this product if it really do all this!

Thx. For standard IOS supported movie formats, you can just stream with the Airstor app. To stream other formats, you would need to use an app that both supports that format and can also access smb network shares. NPlayer is snow excellent app for this. I don't think the IOS version of VLC can access network shares, I think it can only play back local files. If this is true then you would need yo download the file in the Airstor and and then use open in and select VLC. So technically you would not be streaming the movie file, just downloading from the wifidisk first and then playing it locally on your IOS device.

Pedro883420

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2014
Thanks for the fast reply. Actually the iOS version of VLC have a "local network" option..so probably it will work as it can recognise ravpower as network streamer.. I will dig some more into this, but so far..it's brilliant. However, I'm still looking to kingston mobilelite as a more reliable device as it have an app from the same company and a good support. Shorter battery bank...but it's kingston.

Thanks one more time

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
Ok let me know if you want me to try VLC with them as I have both the Ravpower & the Kingston. Won't be tonight though as it's getting late.

mrbliss

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2006
I agree and I actually got in contact with musicmount again directly. EXCELLENT customer service.

He mentioned that they posted a video on how to get this running on your wifidisk. I went through the video and it basically shows you exactly what you need to do - much better than the instructions. I told Christoph at music mount where I got lost in the instructions, and he is taking the feedback to make things simpler.

How-to video

The video here is great. You should definitely take a look.

Great stuff! Thanks for your help with this.

I haven't got a RAVPower or IOS device to play with at the moment, but I've done some experiments preparing a USB drive in Windows using the MusicMount tool. I had to experiment a little with the command line prompt, but got it to successfully run using:

C:\musicmount-1.4\musicmount-1.4\bin\musicmount.bat build F:\Music F:\musicmount

Where F:\ is the USB drive.

I've saved this line in notepad as a .bat file, so I presume that all I need to do to add new music is plug the drive into my PC, double click the .bat file and it will update the web server?

Would there be any way in the future of running the MusicMount tool directly from the iPad to update the web server in the RAVpower over Wifi? Music could then be downloaded directly on the iPad, copied to the RAVpower using its default app or compatible file manager and then added to the web server without the need for a PC or Mac, making it a completely computer less solution.

I also have another quick question, have you tied playing any gapless albums via the Ravpower using MusicMount Interested to hear whether this combination can handle that or if it leaves gaps when playing them?

mrbliss

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2006
Lol sorry I don't know the answers to your questions.. I am not affiliated with music mount.

Sorry, wasn't expecting you to answer all of this. Was hoping the music mount man might turn up. I'll email them and see. Thanks again for your help with this.

Pedro883420

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2014
Ok let me know if you want me to try VLC with them as I have both the Ravpower & the Kingston. Won't be tonight though as it's getting late.

I'm sorry the late reply, and thanks for your help. I'm more interested in the kingston device because I think it has (or should have) better support, in this case from kingston which is a great company.
VLC is the player that I use but if nPlayer is better, no problem. But I would like to know if it works with VLC anyway, but I know that external srt subtitles don't work in the local network streaming mode. It also doesn't work with nPlayer?

Thanks a lot!

phoenixbirdy

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2014
I have a problem with Filehub, might be someone can help me.
Just purchased FileHub and SD card, set it up, installed AirStor on my iphone 5 and ipad (first generation), copied couple movies on SD card (purchased on iTunes, is it mp4 format?, files as large: ~2Gb and ~4.5GB).
Now I'm trying to stream movies on my iphone and iPad from AirStor..
iPhone gives me an error when I click on the movie in AirStor: Cannot open file.
iPad is showing the player interface but don't do anything for a long time.

I don't know if it matters, but just additional information:
I have less then 1/2 of Gb on my iPhone of the free space
iPad has much more available

Does anyone know what is wrong and how to fix it?
Otherwise I just have to give up and send the device back to Amazon, though I really like the idea to use this setup.
Thank you!!!

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
I have a problem with Filehub, might be someone can help me.
Just purchased FileHub and SD card, set it up, installed AirStor on my iphone 5 and ipad (first generation), copied couple movies on SD card (purchased on iTunes, is it mp4 format?, files as large: ~2Gb and ~4.5GB).
Now I'm trying to stream movies on my iphone and iPad from AirStor..
iPhone gives me an error when I click on the movie in AirStor: Cannot open file.
iPad is showing the player interface but don't do anything for a long time.

I don't know if it matters, but just additional information:
I have less then 1/2 of Gb on my iPhone of the free space
iPad has much more available

Does anyone know what is wrong and how to fix it?
Otherwise I just have to give up and send the device back to Amazon, though I really like the idea to use this setup.
Thank you!!!

Do you have any other files you can try? What kind of SD card is it?

phoenixbirdy

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2014
Update: I've connected an external hard drive with USB.
I can see all content, navigate through items, tried to play avi, mpg files (quite small size, 500-700Mb) - I get a message Cannot open.

So far, I wasn't able to play anything from AirStor, but can see the list of files and folders only...
And I tested on both, iPhone and iPad.

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
The SD card is: Komputerbay 64Gb SDXC http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004LCIU1E/ref=oh_details_o02_s01_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have tried 3 movies so far (all are from iTunes store with different sizes). I'll try to find some smaller files this evening and give you an update.
Thank you!

That is the exact same one I use without any issues. It may be an issue with the Airstor app. Have you got a laptop or similar you can connect to the Filehub Wifi connection with and try using VLC or similar to play the content?

----------

Can you also confirm you have the latest firmware on the unit and using the latest Airstor app?

SimonGardner

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2011
I've found this thread interesting. I've started using a RavPower RP-WD01 within the last couple of days. I'm using it with my Note 3 phone and my Macs.

The first thing was that the device though it reads SD cards just fine it won't recognise any of my 50+Tb of external Mac formatted drives. On advice from RavPower, I reformatted an old 500Gb drive originally inside an old Mac to FAT and loaded it with media, this now works. It recognises files and I can (for instance) view JPGs and play all movies - the latter using VLC. I think the JPGs are being displayed using an internal image viewer on the device. Haven't found a way to stop it doing that yet and allowing me to use my phone's apps.

(My phone is 96Gb - shortly to go up to 160Gb.) One of the things I was hoping to do was shift files to and from the phone and the drive as existing methods of doing so between Mac and Androis are a horrible kludge [Android File Transfer]. Thanks Apple for making that so difficult and problematic and not mounting these phones on the desktop. (A bit like PC stuff decades ago wouldn't for a long time.)

I have moved individual files but haven't yet found a way to move entire folders or batches of files.

If I'm going to use this as a mobile card reader for camera cards, that will have to be solved. In fact it has to be solved anyway.

I'm not sure why there appear to be alternative phone apps doing roughly the same thing: RAV Filehub or AirStor.

And has anyone seen a dedicated Mac application that talks to a RavPower RP-WD01? I can certainly connect to its wifi.

Pedro883420

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2014
Well....I don't even know what to say..but my Kingston MobileLite (I know..it's not RavPower) just arrived, and I tested it with a class 4 16GB ScanDisk SD card (so not the best) and used VLC to play a 720p MKV, with no success because VLC doesn't recognize SMB networks. So yeah, I bought nPlayer and man..this were the best 4€ I ever spent..Amazing functionality, simple menus, video ajustments, just WOW. Thanks Donka for your posts and excellent review and tip on nPlayer.

Thanks!

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
Well....I don't even know what to say..but my Kingston MobileLite (I know..it's not RavPower) just arrived, and I tested it with a class 4 16GB ScanDisk SD card (so not the best) and used VLC to play a 720p MKV, with no success because VLC doesn't recognize SMB networks. So yeah, I bought nPlayer and man..this were the best 4€ I ever spent..Amazing functionality, simple menus, video ajustments, just WOW. Thanks Donka for your posts and excellent review and tip on nPlayer.

Thanks!

You're welcome. nPlayer is unrelated to these devices but it is a great app and well recommended as it works so well. Sorry I didn't get round to testing the srt files - just been very busy at the moment.

lucabrand

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2014
Documents

Is it possible to download a file from an external hard drive and edit it (pages, keynotes, word...)? And after the edition can I upload this file of my IPad to the external hard drive?
Thanks

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
Is it possible to download a file from an external hard drive and edit it (pages, keynotes, word...)? And after the edition can I upload this file of my IPad to the external hard drive?
Thanks

Yes. You can use an app like Goodreader or Readdle Docs to manage the files and upload & download from the external drive. You can also use the drives app to pull the file down and open in the likes of pages and then do the same with the edited file. From pages, open in the drive app and then upload to the drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.