Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrbliss

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2006
I'm going to give this a go in conjunction with MusicMount.

Can someone recommend a good Windows app to embed artwork that iTunes has found into the actual music files, as I understand that artwork is normally stored iItunes and will be missing when browsing the music using MusicMount. Also all other meta data if this is not automatically stored in the files?

I'm hoping to retain as much library structure as I can, as I have spent hours meticulously correcting errors in regard to compilation albums, incorrectly named tracks and manually adding album artwork where iTunes couldn't find any, or found the incorrect artwork.

Google throws up quite a few solutions, but a lot of them sound like they will try and replace artwork and tags with what the app thinks it should be, or are only available for apple devices. Also, most of the solutions I have read about only mention MP3, and most of my music is m4a.

Looking for a relatively automated solution as I have 19,000 songs!

musicmount

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2014
As far as I know iTunes embeds all meta data except cover art.

You can embed the images using "Doug's AppleScripts for iTunes". The Embed Artwork script will re-embed artwork downloaded from the iTunes Store into the files of the selected tracks.

NOTE: this script cannot handle processing more than about an album's worth of tracks per launch due to the way iTunes manages the graphics data.

EDIT: AppleScript is Mac OS only!

Last edited:

mrbliss

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2006
As far as I know iTunes embeds all meta data except cover art.

You can embed the images using "Doug's AppleScripts for iTunes". The Embed Artwork script will re-embed artwork downloaded from the iTunes Store into the files of the selected tracks.

NOTE: this script cannot handle processing more than about an album's worth of tracks per launch due to the way iTunes manages the graphics data.

EDIT: AppleScript is Mac OS only!

Good to hear from you MusicMount. Doug's Script came up a lot in my searches, but as you say, its only for Mac OS. If it can only handle an album per launch then its not going to work for me.

This Windows app looks like it will do the trick, has anyone used it?

http://www.maximized.com/shareware/icoverart/docs23.htm

spaghetti head

macrumors member
May 5, 2011
I just purchased a new RavPower RP-WD01 and I have it connected so that my iPad will see it. I put in an SD card and with either a USB flash drive or my iPod classic connected I can't get the files (photos) to move. The file hub sees all of the attached drives, folders and files, but when I select download, it just sits there at 0, nothing moves. Am I missing something?

Last edited:

spaghetti head

macrumors member
May 5, 2011
I just purchased a new RavPower RP-WD01 and I have it connected so that my iPad will see it. I put in an SD card and with either a USB flash drive or my iPod classic connected I can't get the files (photos) to move. The file hub sees all of the attached drives, folders and files, but when I select download, it just sits there at 0, nothing moves. Am I missing something?

I tried it again and AirStor kept asking for my ID and password. I put in what I had set it up with and it said it was wrong, it also kept going back and forth between several screens. It would let me see the photos, then ask for the password.

So I deleted AirStor from my iPad, then reinstalled it. A whole new box popped up asking for my password. I was skeptical, but I put it in any way. It was happy. I inserted my USB flash drive and it moved some photos from my SD card, fairly quickly too. So it looks like I have it working now.

peapody

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2007
San Francisco, CA
I was using music mount for a while but updating the files got to be a little too cumbersome for me. Now I just use it to watch movies and tv shows off a 128gb SDHC card. Great product.

mrbliss

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2006
In finally got a chance to visit my friend and attempt to get her ipad working with a music collection on hard drive using musicmount and Ravpower file hub.

Not much success I'm afraid and I wonder if it is a compatibility problem with the HDD, as it didn't seem to recognise it at all. The LED didn't light up, whereas with a USB stick, the LED flashed and I was able to navigate to the root dir and see files using the iPad.

I was using a Toshiba Store.E 50gb drive:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005X7AXW0/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I didn't get a change to try musicmount on a USB to confirm if that worked, but that wouldn't solve the problem anyway, the music takes up over 300gb, so I need it to work with a 500gb drive.

Any ideas why it couldn't read the drive? Its formatted NTFS, which I have read should work.

Unfortunately I'm not in position to experiment anymore on this myself as we live far apart, but could give simple instructions over the phone.

Hope somebody can help!

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
I have the 2gb version of that drive and it worked for me. WAs the Ravpower on the latest firmware?

mrbliss

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2006
I have the 2gb version of that drive and it worked for me. WAs the Ravpower on the latest firmware?

Thanks Donka

Not sure about the firmware, it was purchased recently so should be relatively up to date.

Is your 2gb drive NTFS?

iSton3d

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2012
Iam about to purchase this device, but before i do i need to know if the AirStor app able to view/preview .RAW files. Does anybody know that? Thanks :)

EmileBeaulieu

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2014
Does anyone know how to use VLC directly to watch things from the drive? I can use the RAV Filehub app to access them, and if they won't play in that, open them in VLC from the Filehub app, but I'd rather just browse and play things directly from VLC.

I'm using an iPhone 5s.

ispofacto

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2014
I am thinking of purchasing this device, but before I do I would like to know if it is possible to use VLC/nPlayer or another app to stream videos with srt subtitles with it?

Smaug3

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2014
airstor vs musicmount for movies

Hi guys, Im really new to this.. in fact Im new to iOS too.

I have two young girls and we are about to embark on a family roadtrip. I was hesitating on buying a "dual dvd system" I know... I know... :eek: but it was more my wife's suggestion my 1st instinct was to buy a second ipad and find a way to convert my existing library of movies and fell upon this thread.

so I got a second ipad and the ravepower (to be delivered in two days) but had a few newbie questions :D I was really hoping you could help me out with:

a) i get that i need wifi to set the filehub up but can you all confirm that i do not need wifi to stream while im on the road? How does that work?

b) Ill be streaming to two pads... has anyone tried to stream movies (<1gb) to multiple devices? Whats the buffering like?

c) I downloaded airstor to get a feel for the software while I await my package but been reading so much about musicmount. Could anyone confirm if airstor or musicmount is the best app to use for streaming movies?

lastly, d) is nplayer like musicmount? or is it just a mediaplayer and can/should be used in conjunction with the musicmount/airstor?

Thanks guys

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
I'll answer:

A. The wifi used with the Ravpower is local wifi that is different from the wifi you will probably be familiar with for your home internet. It is an ad hoc wireless connection between the Ravpower and your ipad. This is used for both setting up the Ravpower and also for streaming movies from it. You don't need to use your home wifi with the Ravpower and you can use it anywhere, including the car because the Ravpower creates the wireless connection that is used.

B. I've managed to stream movies to two iPads without any buffering issues at all. You may get a little initial buffering when starting the movie depending on the app you use but otherwise they should stream without issue.

C. The Airstor app is fine for handling movies that the ipad natively supports. I really recommend picking up NPlayer though if you are planning to stream movies. It's a great app and plays back much more movie formats than the Airstor app can. The Ravpower and the NPlayer app are a great combination IMHO.

D. NPlayer is just an app that works in conjunction with the Ravpower and other sources for movies.

Hope this helps.

Smaug3

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2014
Thank you!

I'll answer:

A. The wifi used with the Ravpower is local wifi that is different from the wifi you will probably be familiar with for your home internet. It is an ad hoc wireless connection between the Ravpower and your ipad. This is used for both setting up the Ravpower and also for streaming movies from it. You don't need to use your home wifi with the Ravpower and you can use it anywhere, including the car because the Ravpower creates the wireless connection that is used.

B. I've managed to stream movies to two iPads without any buffering issues at all. You may get a little initial buffering when starting the movie depending on the app you use but otherwise they should stream without issue.

C. The Airstor app is fine for handling movies that the ipad natively supports. I really recommend picking up NPlayer though if you are planning to stream movies. It's a great app and plays back much more movie formats than the Airstor app can. The Ravpower and the NPlayer app are a great combination IMHO.

D. NPlayer is just an app that works in conjunction with the Ravpower and other sources for movies.

Hope this helps.

Thank you Donka! This is very helpful. I really appreciate it.
I think I will go ahead and get Nplayer.

One more question... Would I still need airstor to "setup" the ravpower or is this accomplished better via browser?

Thanks again

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
Thank you Donka! This is very helpful. I really appreciate it.
I think I will go ahead and get Nplayer.

One more question... Would I still need airstor to "setup" the ravpower or is this accomplished better via browser?

Thanks again

You're welcome. The Airstor app is worth having but you can do it all through the browser so you don't actually need the app, in fact the browser actually let's you do a little extra config.
You might find some extra info in my review:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1627876/

Smaug3

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2014
Well ive never used nplayer. As i said im very new at all this. Would you say it is fairly easy to set up nplayer to play with the ravpower. I read ur review. Would it be just accessing via the ip address giving a pwd to ´admin' account. Or is there more to it? I checked out the video but saw nothing on nplayer.

Thank you

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
Well ive never used nplayer. As i said im very new at all this. Would you say it is fairly easy to set up nplayer to play with the ravpower. I read ur review. Would it be just accessing via the ip address giving a pwd to ´admin' account. Or is there more to it? I checked out the video but saw nothing on nplayer.

Thank you

It's been a while but you need to assign a password if you wish to connect using the Samba (SMB) protocol. If you connect to the Ravpower's wifi with the ipad and open NPlayer, you can try searching for upnp or smb shares. They might show up automatically. If they don't, just manually enter the IP address for the Ravpower. For SMB you will require the admin and password to connect. If you connect with upnp, I don't think you need a username and password. Once you do this, you will turn be able to browse all the movies on the Ravpower and stream them.

Smaug3

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2014
Thank you again Donka!

I bought nplayer to start fiddling with interface and Just got my "package has shipped" notice and am anxiously awaiting to get it and start playing with it. 1st road trip test with tots will be this Thursday. I really hope it meets expectations (e z breezy streaming, minimal buffering).

Thanks again

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
Thank you again Donka!

I bought nplayer to start fiddling with interface and Just got my "package has shipped" notice and am anxiously awaiting to get it and start playing with it. 1st road trip test with tots will be this Thursday. I really hope it meets expectations (e z breezy streaming, minimal buffering).

Thanks again

You're welcome. Please let us know how you get on and of course ask any questions you have. Enjoy. :)

Smaug3

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2014
Alright.

So i got my ravpower filehub today. I was a bit apprehensive given some hate reviews on the web.

I opened the box and set it to chare when the green light went steady I powered it up. I gave it a good 15 secs and scan for network.. I then followed all of Donka's advice.

I clicked for smb network found my 1TB drive and bam!!! It was playing all formats mp4, mkv, avi beautifully... Absolutely zero lag except for the 8 sec initial buffer.

Thanks Donka.

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
Alright.

So i got my ravpower filehub today. I was a bit apprehensive given some hate reviews on the web.

I opened the box and set it to chare when the green light went steady I powered it up. I gave it a good 15 secs and scan for network.. I then followed all of Donka's advice.

I clicked for smb network found my 1TB drive and bam!!! It was playing all formats mp4, mkv, avi beautifully... Absolutely zero lag except for the 8 sec initial buffer.

Thanks Donka.

Sweet. Glad it's working well for you. Are you using nPlayer for the movies?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.