Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will you try Windows 11 on boot camp?

• Total voters

mdgm

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2010
If it will run on the 2011 iMac I probably will need to as some software I use has developers that move far too quickly to drop support for old OSes that are still getting security updates.

Reactions: GSWForever8

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Even the copycat is not done properly. They should’ve just stick to what Windows was for decades, or redesign the desktop and put system tray somewhat else. IIRC Windows 10X preview build there was no system tray or time date etc on the taskbar, which made the taskbar looked cleaner. What’s worse, tons of previously available taskbar right click menu is gone. Dunno what’s that for.
IMO, Microsoft Windows amazing backwards compatibility also keeps their system from evolving to something more modern. I absolutely love backwards compatibility, but there’s gonna be better ways to maintain that rather than piling up codes on top of old codes. I do not want Windows to become yet another macOS, only worse.

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2021
For an OS to look good, the look needs to be consistent. You can't have some parts looking this style and others looking that style.

We all know when Win11 is released some part of it will look like Win95, some part of it will look like WinXP, some part Win10, and some part will look like macOS.

There will still be a file explorer that can't do basic things like have tabs, there will still be two control panels but you'll have to go to registry to change some basic settings, there will still be multiple Program Files folders, there will still be menus with different fonts and sizes... etc. etc.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
I assume unlike W10, 11 will have been built from the ground up with Arm in mind (Microsoft do seem to realise the direction of travel if rumours of making their own Arm chips (Plus AMD making hybrid Arm-x86 ones) prove to be accurate) - that's probably the biggest thing about this release from a Mac standpoint.

bobcomer

macrumors 601
May 18, 2015
I assume unlike W10, 11 will have been built from the ground up with Arm in mind (Microsoft do seem to realise the direction of travel if rumours of making their own Arm chips (Plus AMD making hybrid Arm-x86 ones) prove to be accurate) - that's probably the biggest thing about this release from a Mac standpoint.
Nope, still mainly X86/64 given the rumors about how it's going to be available to the Windows Insiders. It's not a total platform change like MacOS.

mzeb

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2007
It's less about being built for a particular architecture in terms of the product code. That more of lies in the compiler. Windows NT code has been built for x86, x86-64, IA64, Alpha, PPC, ARM and other architectures all from the same codebase over the years. The compiler for the ARM architecture might be getting more attention, though.

mzeb

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2007
The TPM 2.0 hard requirement means it won't be available for Intel Macs (unless you are virtualizing, of course).
This would be surprising as many consumer motherboards from the past couple years do not have TPMs. Truly, though, more and more are so it's possibly.
And with Apple moving away from Intel MS might not see that as a market worth targeting as it is already pretty small.
But that could also mean they are planning to target ARM Macs for bootcamp which would be cool...

bluecoast

macrumors 68020
Nov 7, 2017
It looks promising, but then so did Windows 10 & Microsoft never updated the Windows 7 style apps. I think they might finally clear this up, but Microsoft does have a history of leaving things half finished. The App Store looks very interesting.

Reactions: bousozoku

thefourthpope

Contributor
Sep 8, 2007
DelMarVa
Just from the promos I’ve seen the window management and assigned spaces (work, design, etc) are the features I’ll be most jealous of.

RandomDSdevel

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2009
Kokomo, IN
Whoever put the dock icons in the middle and kept the system tray and time on the same line on the right should just resign and look for another job in a completely different field.
-----I don't know if my feelings on it are that strong, but, yeah, I'd like to have the option to put those icons back to being left-justified again.

-----I'd also prefer that the time being centered at the top of the lock screen would only be for Windows Hello users; I keep Magnifier docked at the top of the screen at all times, even having it start up when nobody's logged in yet (it's my machine, so I'm free to set it that way.) Having the time be in the bottom left-hand corner works better with that.
-----And one more thing: I like the Ribbon in File Explorer — though, yes, some of its icons could stand to get rearranged a bit. Getting rid of it entirely seems like overkill to me. If we're lucky enough, we'll have the option to bring it back. At least let me have text labels underneath all those icons if I want!

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
I don't care for the TPM 2.0 requirement. Nor that a Microsoft Account is required to setup the home version. I'm also wondering what features won't work without a Microsoft Account.

I am assuming only if you want to enable bit locker. it is not a must?
It fails the compatibility check on upgrade if TPM 2.0 is missing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.