Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will you try Windows 11 on boot camp?

• Total voters

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
I was about to open a new thread, but I will use this one: Is it actually possible to bootcamp Windows 11? It has some requirements, for instance, a TPM version 2.0; does the mac lineup have this module?

To answer the poll: Yes, if I am able to, I will install Windows 11 on Boot Camp. And I wish Apple would implement Boot Camp on Apple Silicon macs.

Reactions: tICM

mdgm

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2010
The TPM requirement is a real sticking point. I’ll hold off on purchasing any newer Mac hardware to run Windows 11 until it becomes clear where we stand.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
The TPM requirement is a real sticking point. I’ll hold off on purchasing any newer Mac hardware to run Windows 11 until it becomes clear where we stand.
Same, I was deliberating about getting a cheap intel MBA 2020, but if it doesn’t support Windows 11... I’ll pass

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
How can I see if my system supports that? I built a custom gaming PC in 2020.

Has anyone heard if this will be a free upgrade?

mdgm

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2010
Same, I was deliberating about getting a cheap intel MBA 2020, but if it doesn’t support Windows 11... I’ll pass
Currently using mid-2011 iMacs. I had been thinking about getting the 2018 Mini or 2019 iMac as a replacement, but if they won't be able to run Windows 11 then I don't see the point in getting them for running Windows. Hopefully if Microsoft enforces the TPM 2.0 requirement someone will come up with a workaround to make Windows 11 work reliably with Intel Macs with an easy method to install OTA updates etc.

Reactions: Populus and tICM

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
-----I don't know if my feelings on it are that strong, but, yeah, I'd like to have the option to put those icons back to being left-justified again.

-----I'd also prefer that the time being centered at the top of the lock screen would only be for Windows Hello users; I keep Magnifier docked at the top of the screen at all times, even having it start up when nobody's logged in yet (it's my machine, so I'm free to set it that way.) Having the time be in the bottom left-hand corner works better with that.
-----And one more thing: I like the Ribbon in File Explorer — though, yes, some of its icons could stand to get rearranged a bit. Getting rid of it entirely seems like overkill to me. If we're lucky enough, we'll have the option to bring it back. At least let me have text labels underneath all those icons if I want!
You have the option to put it back to left start button.
AnD I don’t think ribbon is removed from windows on this version.

Reactions: RandomDSdevel

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I don't care for the TPM 2.0 requirement. Nor that a Microsoft Account is required to setup the home version. I'm also wondering what features won't work without a Microsoft Account.

It fails the compatibility check on upgrade if TPM 2.0 is missing.
You can still setup an offline account without using Microsoft account. You just pick work and school, and pick “domain only”, and you will be able to create an offline account.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
You can still setup an offline account without using Microsoft account. You just pick work and school, and pick “domain only”, and you will be able to create an offline account.
Is that The Home or Pro version? If I recall correctly in Windows 10 that question only comes up in Pro. I’d assume the same for 11.

I’m just going off the requirements. the requirements list the home version requiring a Microsoft Account for initial setup.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Is that The Home or Pro version? If I recall correctly in Windows 10 that question only comes up in Pro. I’d assume the same for 11.

I’m just going off the requirements. the requirements list the home version requiring a Microsoft Account for initial setup.
Oh yeah that’s for Pro version. Haven’t tested Home version. Might need to take a look.
For now, unless the internet is cut during the setup process, I don’t think offline account option would pop up easily.

DaveFromCampbelltown

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2020
I have a late 2015 iMac.
I have tried it as a VM under Parallels. It works, but is a bit sluggish.
I have used Hasleo's WinToUSB to put it on an external SSD. Its performance is very impressive, somewhat slicker than Win 10, also on an SSD.
I have not tried to Bootcamp it yet because I have a functioning implementation of Windows 10 on it and I don't want to muck it up. To wipe the Bootcamp and install a new version of Windows will mean wiping my Fusion drive completely, re-installing/restoring macOS, then running Bootcamp Assistant again to partition the drive, install, etc.
I don't know if I will be able to run the update on the Bootcamp installation.

Question -- Does WinToUSB bypass the TMP 2 requirement?

DaveFromCampbelltown

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2020
I think at this point running on a SSD not Fusion Drive is the way forward.

Yes. When you use Bootcamp Assistant to split your Fusion Drive, it only splits the Spinning Platter part, so Windows under Bootcamp on a Fusion Drive only runs at normal HDD speed, i.e. too bl**dy slowly.

mdgm

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2010
I've been running Windows 10 on Bootcamp on mid-2011 iMacs on the stock 7200RPM hdd and switched one over to booting off an external NVMe SSD, but unless I can find a way to reliably boot off that external (sometimes it doesn't come back up when I reboot) I'll need to look into either replacing the internal HDD with an SSD or getting new machines, so which Macs if any can do Bootcamp reliably with Windows 11 will be important to my decision on what to do.

jchap

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2009
Just from the promos I’ve seen the window management and assigned spaces (work, design, etc) are the features I’ll be most jealous of.
macOS with the addition of third-party window management and control apps like Moom far surpasses anything that Windows has ever offered, and what Windows 11 will offer in this regard. This is a major reason why I always feel confounded whenever I need to go back to Windows.

Windows has gotten better, and there are third-party apps like AquaSnap which sorta-kinda work, but Windows still has a long way to go in terms of offering an organized arrangement of windows. Unless you don't mind the plain-Jane left-right or quarter-size window arrangements, of course.

Reactions: Mr. Awesome

jchap

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2009
It fails the compatibility check on upgrade if TPM 2.0 is missing.
Indeed, and I would say that Windows 10 and earlier on Boot Camp running on any Mac is the least secure configuration of Windows you can have. BitLocker: not supported; no disk encryption for Windows partitions; T2 chip: not supported. Terrible for security reasons. Virtualization with apps like Parallels at least gives you the advantage of running Windows with the benefit of macOS' out-of-the-box disk encryption.

How easy it is to siphon data off of a non-encrypted Windows hard disk partition, if you have physical access to it. Windows Home is really lacking in that respect. I'm glad that Microsoft is upping the security requirements in that regard on Windows 11. It's about time. Windows Home users have always faced that risk without the encryption features available for Professional users... which was already available for macOS users for many, many years now.

Last edited:

DaveFromCampbelltown

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2020
I assume unlike W10, 11 will have been built from the ground up with Arm in mind (Microsoft do seem to realise the direction of travel if rumours of making their own Arm chips (Plus AMD making hybrid Arm-x86 ones) prove to be accurate) - that's probably the biggest thing about this release from a Mac standpoint.

Sadly no. It is using the same Win 10 codebase, with some tweaks in the UI and performance. There is still stuff in there that dates back to Windows XP and before.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.