Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will you try Windows 11 on boot camp?

• Total voters

bobcomer

macrumors 601
May 18, 2015
Not true. I am currently replying to this using Windows 11 on a late 2015 iMac (native install on an external USB via Hasleo's WinToUSB).
The requirement is waved for insider builds, and that's probably what you have. Microsoft says that once Win11 goes GA, you'll have to trash the insider build. and if you don't have a TPM, you'll have to reinstall Windows 10. It's all on their website...

Reactions: RandomDSdevel

lostom

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2010
I would never go back to windows. Haven’t even looked at a computer with windows on it in at least 6 years. Saved lots of money and frustration in the process.
I've not gone back, but just got a windows machine for my daughter to have a play around with (she's 10) and only ever known Apple OS etc, so I thought I should give her a chance to know the other side.
I'm setting it up and downloading, installing drivers blah blah, it's so frustrating, I have to google so many "how to do this....."
Settings + control panel WTF?

On win 11, I can't believe they are using old fonts and icons again, it looks like a re hash of something old with an incremental update.

• Wow
Reactions: jchap

fwmireault

Contributor
Jul 4, 2019
Montréal, Canada
Whoever put the dock icons in the middle and kept the system tray and time on the same line on the right should just resign and look for another job in a completely different field.
Right? It’s so ugly. I honestly don’t mind that they steal the macOS-like dock, but if they want to implement the dock, they have to do it properly. Poor decisions were made

Susurs

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010

Aggedor

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2020
Never thought I would say this but windows 11 and android 12 look amazing it makes me think macos and iOS is years behind mainly in design; nothing has ever changed since 2013
I think I am looking at the wrong links. Can someone send me to a good Windows 11 overview site? All I can see is something that looks mostly like Windows 10, but with a centred taskbar and a new chat/messaging thing and the ability to run Android apps. I've just watched Microsoft's Introducing Windows 11 video, and can't really see what people mean when they say it is such a leap from Windows 10 and it looks better than macOS.

Trenches

Suspended
Mar 31, 2021
It’s as if someone wrote their own original, half-ass essay but because they didn’t want to “plagiarize”, just took every other sentence from the other essay and pasted it in random locations.

Bubble99

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2015
Never thought I would say this but windows 11 and android 12 look amazing it makes me think macos and iOS is years behind mainly in design; nothing has ever changed since 2013
Well the themes and icons are looking old on MacOS and iOS well windows and Android 12 do look nice and refreshing all new skin. But my fear is MacOS and iOS will bring out a new update in year or two and be worse.

So in way yes iOS and MacOS look old and nothing new going back to iOS7. But how do you know you will like the new look.

Apple can’t copy Microsoft or Android 12 of copyrights strike. So what do they do? What kind look could they go after? They can’t copy windows 11 or android 12 themes and icons.

Darth Tulhu

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2019
I would never go back to windows. Haven’t even looked at a computer with windows on it in at least 6 years. Saved lots of money and frustration in the process.
At this point in my life I would never go back to the Mac either.

The current iPad does all I need a computer for.

Except work. I HAVE to use my company-provided PC, although I wish it was a Mac.

:(

Bubble99

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2015
The preliminary notes on Windows 11 is that Windows 11 Home will require Microsoft account and internet connectivity for first time setup.

Wow just wow.

If they do that there is no way in million years I'm going to sit in front of windows 11 computer.

If Microsoft does not clean up their old ways from windows 10 of nagging you to make a Microsoft account and use their apps, and we still have no idea if Microsoft is going to ad more spyware to windows 11. I will run so fast the other way not to even look at it.

The system requirements to install windows 11 and you need a account well may change from now to fall. But if Microsoft does not change that I don’t care if you paid me a million dollars I will not like that forced on anyone.

Well being log into Microsoft account all the time it will make spyware even more easy and well they force their apps.

And being log in all the time your browser history, searches, messages,notes,videos and stuff on the computer tied to the account make that much easier they can data mind.

If Microsoft does not clean up there ways from windows 10 you are going to see more people leave windows.

One thing about iOS and MacOS the apps they have are free and not bad for basic use. I would not have problem with Windows 11 having apps there!!! just don't be nagging me to make outlook account, Microsoft account, use their browser and nagging to use OneDrive and teams and other stuff after a feature update in spring and fall.

Windows 11 is looking more questionable now.

If Microsoft are going to try to repair the damage of people being anti windows 10 and bring back to windows 7 time of the more happy time line or make it worse and people be just as mad or even worse they will leave yes start to leave windows in larger numbers.

Bubble99

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2015
I think I am looking at the wrong links. Can someone send me to a good Windows 11 overview site? All I can see is something that looks mostly like Windows 10, but with a centred taskbar and a new chat/messaging thing and the ability to run Android apps. I've just watched Microsoft's Introducing Windows 11 video, and can't really see what people mean when they say it is such a leap from Windows 10 and it looks better than macOS.

Here you go.

Looks really good and refreshing but like I said in the comments posted above it does not look like Microsoft have clean up their ways. And doing same shady stuff like windows 10 if not worse now where you need Microsoft account to install windows 11 or use windows 11.

Reactions: Windoes and brucemr

Bubble99

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2015
Right? It’s so ugly. I honestly don’t mind that they steal the macOS-like dock, but if they want to implement the dock, they have to do it properly. Poor decisions were made
They can’t do that . If Windows had dock at the bottom and toolbar at the top for menu and system tray at the top than Apple will take them to court.

Even Linux destro get close but will not go all the way try to look like windows or OSX.

These OS are copyrights you cant clone the look.

skaertus

macrumors 601
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
Whatever it is, this source says 1.2 is required, not 2.0:

Does macs support it?
I am frustrated as the Microsoft PC Health Check just informed me that my fairly recent Core i7-9700K with 32 GB RAM and a GeForce RTX 2070 will not support Windows 11. How so?!? Is it because of this TPM 2.0?

nonuser

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2021
I use both MacOS and Windows, tbh they are both perfectly fine operating systems. My biggest love for W comes from the clipboard, I can store a lot of stuff there and keep retrieving stuff, and I can run whatever **** software was made 20 years ago. MacOS is just better designed, I fly with it, I don't have to "think" about the OS like I have when I use Windows.

Anyway, MacRumors and this forum seems to ignore something really interesting about W11, they introduced an app store that charges "nothing" (if a dev provides their e commerce engine) while providing a secure space for people to download apps. This is a huge win for everyone and right off the bat shows that Apple was somehow missing this middle point (Which I believe is Apple weakness as a business).

I'm not trying to make a mess, just think about it. Windows has just embraced devs by giving them two choices, either you pay MSFT for their ecommerce engine or you bring your own solution. Nothing is forcing you to do either while giving the people the app they want, is a middle point and avoid countless threads and unnecessary discussions that lead nowhere. And they can still provide through their website... but hey, having an app on their app store will give more visibility, right? Thank you MSFT.

One negative note, File Explorer did not introduce columns, so I'm sad, but hey, at least they got the task bar right (if you have a 4K monitor, you will know why it is important!)

GMShadow

macrumors 68000
Jun 8, 2021
MacOS is just better designed, I fly with it, I don't have to "think" about the OS like I have when I use Windows.

This is usually my sentiment. The Mac does a better job of getting out of my way, which is why I use it for content creation. Windows...insists on reminding me of its existence as I use it.

minik

macrumors demi-god
Jun 25, 2007
somewhere
My 2-year old Microsoft Surface won't able to run Windows 11. The user interface and heavily focus on the Microsoft Store aren't really my thing.

bobcomer

macrumors 601
May 18, 2015
I am frustrated as the Microsoft PC Health Check just informed me that my fairly recent Core i7-9700K with 32 GB RAM and a GeForce RTX 2070 will not support Windows 11. How so?!? Is it because of this TPM 2.0?
Hard to tell, maybe you have the TPM disabled? Does it have a UEFI?

I know my 4 year old laptop is compatible, and my near new i9 Desktop is too. But I also know the TPM is not disabled.

ADGrant

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2018
As mentioned Macs are per default not eligble for Windows 11 upgrade since no TPM is available (TPM 2.0 preferred, but installer accepts down to 1.2).

So far, it seems to be relatively easy to surpass it by just replacing an install check file with the same file from W10 installer. If that's it and the problem is solved and it doesn't show up again as a problem during regular Windows 11 updates then it's fairly OK.

However if this check returns every time there is some significant Windows 11 upgrade or something critical in W11 will depend on it going forward then we will have some problems I assume.
Yes, I ran the Windows 10 heath check app on my 2020 iMac which has the T2 chip. It confirmed that my machine was not Windows 11 ready even though it is less than a year old and exceeds all the non TPM requirements by a wide margin.

I hope that Microsoft comes to their senses and removes the TPM install check. This is classic Microsoft though, they love to shoot them selves in the foot (e.g. Windows Vista, Windows 8, original Xbox One only shipping with the Kinect add-on).

Bandaman

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2019
It looks like they're finally getting multi-monitor switching right, which I'm excited about. I like the modern look to it. It'll finally feel like I'm no longer using Windows XP.

Also excited about Auto HDR in gaming, even if the game itself doesn't support HDR.

Internet Enzyme

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2016
I would upgrade my Boot Camp partition on my iMac to Windows 11 when it is released if it were compatible, but something I keep hearing about "TPM 2.0" makes me think it wont be compatible

Cancelled
May 21, 2009
Windows 11 hits me as Vista did: all eye candy and revisions but at the end of the day it'll be another hog like Windows has and always will be.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.