Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will you try Windows 11 on boot camp?

• Total voters

Kent W

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2019
Kullavik, Halland, Sweden, EU
The TPM 2.0 hard requirement means it won't be available for Intel Macs (unless you are virtualizing, of course).
That's not a real hard stop at all. I successfully installed it through legacy boot via bootcamp on an old iMac 27 2011. It worked flawlessly. I upgraded from W10 and used the tutorial in the Youtube channel Macintosh Men. Later it was found out that you can easily bypass the artificial requirements by a setup /product server command. Link: https://www.pcworld.com/article/2103104/windows-11-simple-trick-bypasses-cpu-tpm-lockout.html

Big Corp. with huge numbers of Windows clients couldn't migrate to W11 ready PC's in just a swoop so MS had to leave doors open so that Big Corp. could stay compatible. My combo of a legacy boot, old processor and no TPM at all works just fine. The requirements are all artificial for now. If it works with W10, W11 will work in reality.

marzer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
Colorado
That's not a real hard stop at all. I successfully installed it through legacy boot via bootcamp on an old iMac 27 2011. It worked flawlessly. I upgraded from W10 and used the tutorial in the Youtube channel Macintosh Men. Later it was found out that you can easily bypass the artificial requirements by a setup /product server command. Link: https://www.pcworld.com/article/2103104/windows-11-simple-trick-bypasses-cpu-tpm-lockout.html

Big Corp. with huge numbers of Windows clients couldn't migrate to W11 ready PC's in just a swoop so MS had to leave doors open so that Big Corp. could stay compatible. My combo of a legacy boot, old processor and no TPM at all works just fine. The requirements are all artificial for now. If it works with W10, W11 will work in reality.
That’s terrific. Have you noticed any issues with stability or Windows updates as noted in the article? I’m thinking of trying it on my 2019 Mackbook Pro.

newtomacbookpro

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2022
You guys are running Win with macos using bootcamp or Win natively without macos at all? I am interested in the latter. I can install Win11 on MBP late-2011 very easy but still trying to overcome lack of audio.

Last edited:

DaveFromCampbelltown

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2020
You can use packages like Winclone to install Win 10/11 onto an external USB drive without touching your internal drive at all, and it bypasses the T2 requirements.

Reactions: marzer

marzer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
Colorado
You guys are running Win with macos using bootcamp or Win natively without macos at all? I am interested in the latter. I can install Win11 on MBP late-2011 very easy but still trying to overcome lack of audio.
Have you attempted to install the audio driver from the Boot Camp drivers?

marzer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
Colorado
You can use packages like Winclone to install Win 10/11 onto an external USB drive without touching your internal drive at all, and it bypasses the T2 requirements.
Have you done this recently? I used to be able to do it with Windows 7 but couldn’t get it to work with Windows 10.

Kent W

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2019
Kullavik, Halland, Sweden, EU
Bootcamp in my case. Bootcamp ensures that installation on older Macs becomes a legacy boot setup. This is key to get Audio working with the Bootcamp audio drivers. W11 is officially not supporting legacy boot (or sometimes called BIOS boot), but in reality, no problem.

newtomacbookpro

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2022
Bootcamp in my case. Bootcamp ensures that installation on older Macs becomes a legacy boot setup. This is key to get Audio working with the Bootcamp audio drivers. W11 is officially not supporting legacy boot (or sometimes called BIOS boot), but in reality, no problem.
Just to be sure, you mean installing windows 11 via bootcamp from within macos?

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
Later it was found out that you can easily bypass the artificial requirements by a setup /product server command
This has been utilized at least since December 2021 in the MediaCreationTool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.