Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will you try Windows 11 on boot camp?

• Total voters

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
I am using UTM. I installed the VM from

https://mac.getutm.app/gallery/

Super easy! Generally, Microsoft Surface users say that Intel code translation works remarkably well. They basically have a Rosetta of their own. One big difference is that they will not have their entire developer base start compiling their code for ARM natively.

I also have Windows 11 running on Parallels. I only tried SolidWorks there, because I believe that Parallels is better at emulating video card hardware than UTM. SolidWorks 2017 had problems displaying solid models and crashed, although SolidWorks 2022 was fine. SolidWorks developers probably test on Surface hardware, because they know that a reasonably-sized minority do use those. I could not get Creo to work.
So, you’re telling me Windows 11 for ARM has a Rosetta-type translation layer, in order to make x86 software compatible? Amazing. I didn’t know that.

DominikHoffmann

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2007
Indiana
We macOS/iOS etc. users can remain pretty ignorant of what goes on in the Windows world. I am learning that the hard way.

I am still looking for a site similar to MacRumors that covers Windows.

Reactions: Cape Dave

Vudman

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2022
1. download and install WinClone (any version)
No need to buy or activate
2. download Windows in the desired language
mount the ISO image
3. in the Terminal
cd /Applications/Winclone.app/Contents/Resources/
sudo ln -sf /Volumes/*/sources/install.wim ./Windows.wim

./tools/bin/wiminfo Windows.wim
There will be a long list of Windows editions, choose the right index, e.g.
Index: 4
Name: Windows 11 Pro
4. View the list of disks
diskutil list
Select the partition to install
/dev/disk0 (internal, physical):
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: GUID_partition_scheme *3.0 TB disk0
1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1
2: Apple_HFS Macintosh HD2 2.5 TB disk0s2
3: Apple_HFS macOS 300.7 GB disk0s3
4: Apple_Boot Recovery HD 650.0 MB disk0s4
5: Microsoft Basic Data Windows 10 198.9 GB disk0s5
there are two options here.
Either we already have a Windows partition, or we need to create one
Case one: we will install to /dev/disk0s5 (Microsoft Basic Data)
case two:
diskutil resizeVolume "/dev/disk0s3" "75%" MS-DOS DOS 0b
disk0s3 (Apple_HFS macOS) partition is compressed (75%), the freed space is replaced by Windows
5. Move on to the installation itself. Make sure there is no confusion with the partition number.
sudo ./winclone -y -e -p /dev/disk0s5 -i 4

and waiting ....
6. Reboot and check the windows!!

Reactions: shafez

NickH88

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2012
Florida
I've been trying to install Windows 11 via Boot Camp on my 2017 Macbook Pro. First I tried the method that uses regedit at the Windows setup to bypass the TPM and Secure Boot checks, but I eventually still got an error along the lines of "This PC can't run Windows 11." Then I found this video, which involves extracting the files from both a W10 and a W11 ISO, moving the install.wim* file from the W11 files into W10 files (in place of the preexisting one), and building back the ISO to run in Boot Camp. But once I got into the Windows setup, I got an error stating that install.wim could not be opened.

Is there any way to run Windows 11 natively on my machine? I already have a W11 VM but I have some intensive programs that I've been advised against running virtually, so I want to have Boot Camp as another option. I've seen the solutions that are USB-based, but if that's my only option, I'd rather just go with W10 in Boot Camp.

*The video, made in 2021, says to change the .wim file extension to .esd to match that of the install file in W10, but as someone in the comments pointed out, W10 now uses .wim as well, so there was no need to rename the file.

tinygoblin

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2022
I've been trying to install Windows 11 via Boot Camp on my 2017 Macbook Pro. First I tried the method that uses regedit at the Windows setup to bypass the TPM and Secure Boot checks, but I eventually still got an error along the lines of "This PC can't run Windows 11." Then I found this video, which involves extracting the files from both a W10 and a W11 ISO, moving the install.wim* file from the W11 files into W10 files (in place of the preexisting one), and building back the ISO to run in Boot Camp. But once I got into the Windows setup, I got an error stating that install.wim could not be opened.

Is there any way to run Windows 11 natively on my machine? I already have a W11 VM but I have some intensive programs that I've been advised against running virtually, so I want to have Boot Camp as another option. I've seen the solutions that are USB-based, but if that's my only option, I'd rather just go with W10 in Boot Camp.

*The video, made in 2021, says to change the .wim file extension to .esd to match that of the install file in W10, but as someone in the comments pointed out, W10 now uses .wim as well, so there was no need to rename the file.
Just use any guide to alter you Windows 11's boot.wim (it's better to disable checks in install.wim/install.esd as well) or download pre-baked ISO like this Windows 11 China Government Edition. GayBooks are manufactured in China so it's beneficial to use Chinese Windows. It's in English, don't worry, you'll be good, Microsoft recommends it and ships with it's Surface laptops since 2017.

AndyMacAndMic

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2017
Western Europe
Additionally, you should check the hardware requirements specified by Microsoft for Windows 11 compatibility to ensure that your Mac meets them.
No Intel based Mac passes the hardware requirements for Windows 11 because they don't have a TPM chip. Officially it is therefore not possible to install Windows 11 on any Intel Mac. Unofficially it probably can be done, but not without some hacks (see previous posts in this thread).

ben39uk

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2021
late 2015 27'' Mac dual booting Win 10, the only reason I like Win 10 is their file manager and the layout of my picture, can I run Win file manager in ios mode, also thinking of upgrading to 2020 27'' Mac will it still dual boot Win 10?

DaveFromCampbelltown

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2020
No Intel based Mac passes the hardware requirements for Windows 11 because they don't have a TPM chip. Officially it is therefore not possible to install Windows 11 on any Intel Mac. Unofficially it probably can be done, but not without some hacks (see previous posts in this thread).

I have a late 2015 27" iMac with a Fusion drive.
I use Winclone to install a standard Windows 11 onto an external SSD, and it works quite well.
The only extra thing is that you need to download the Windows Support folder using the Bootcamp Utility before you start, and then copy that to the Windows drive and install it.
It's not really a hack, just installing using a particular app.

AndyMacAndMic

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2017
Western Europe
I have a late 2015 27" iMac with a Fusion drive.
I use Winclone to install a standard Windows 11 onto an external SSD, and it works quite well.
The only extra thing is that you need to download the Windows Support folder using the Bootcamp Utility before you start, and then copy that to the Windows drive and install it.
It's not really a hack, just installing using a particular app.

It seemed to me that the post/person I reacted to (which/who is removed by the way):

quote/
Additionally, you should check the hardware requirements specified by Microsoft for Windows 11 compatibility to ensure that your Mac meets them.

/quote

was under the impression that there are Macs who comply with the requirements for Windows 11. I tried to make clear there aren't.

Officially Windows 11 does not run on an Intel computer without a TPM chip (amongst other requirements). That means all Intel Macs. What I call a 'hack' you call 'running a particular app' (which probably 'hacks' the Windows registry to bypass the TPM check and some other checks). I think we both mean the same (changing Windows to bypass some checks) and are talking semantics here :)

Last edited:

Will Co

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2021
United Kingdom
So with the news that Apple has finally removed the last Intel based device from their lineup I figure that the clock is now ticking on support for their older Intel hardware. I guess it's been ticking for a while. Just that today the ticking got a whole lot louder. Sonoma has been announced as supporting my 2019 Intel MBP 16 so I'm good for a while yet, but maybe it will be the last OS that does support Intel? I certainly cannot see they'll support Intel more than one more OS after Sonoma.

Therefore, time to start taking Windows on Arm and VMware or Parallels on AS seriously. I currently use VMware to host several Windows VMs. Their workloads could easily be combined into a single VM - no issue there. But my main concern is how well certain apps will run on Windows on Arm.

So there's the emulator, which will take care of many x86 apps, I know. How is this currently looking? Performant?

My main Windows workload is Visual Studio. Microsoft have been working hard to migrate these tools to Arm and the latest couple of version mostly support Arm natively, so that's positive. But I've not tried it. Anyone have any insights into this kind of setup?

I appreciate my configuration is fairly niche (not *that* niche, but still) so the only way to be sure is to try it. Time to start thinking about a Mac mini purchase, and give this lot a try out.

newtomacbookpro

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2022
I have Win 11 Pro recently installed on late-2011 MBP running well except for audio. Anyone know the right audio driver would appreciate a shout. It is a clean install so no macos on hdd.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.