Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will you try Windows 11 on boot camp?

• Total voters

Hassan69

macrumors member
May 17, 2009
Have you tried a diff usb stick, or is it an external ssd style drive you have burnt the image too?. There are so many reports of this on all Windows installs that it could be anything

Some mention unplugging all usb devices or trying different ones (if you are using a mouse can you switch to a keyboard for the first part incase, others claim success in removing the USB device after it has "copied files for installation (copy or preparing)" not saying either of these may help you but no harm in trying as per video i literally nuked my install today to test and cannot replicate the issue myself.
Hi, i have unplugged all devices only wired keyboard and wired mouse. I have tried 3 different USB sticks. I'll try that now with removing the USB device after it has "copied files for installation. I removed the USB hub, removed the USB when it got to the stage of Installing features still the same issue. Nothing is working so far.

Last edited:

thering1975

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2014
What model MBP is it and year, also when you get to the windows install partition screen can you take a pic showing partitions

Hassan69

macrumors member
May 17, 2009
What model MBP is it and year, also when you get to the windows install partition screen can you take a pic showing partitions
Hi it's an iMac 2017. Also it was partitioned as Exfat and then deleted as per instructions in this thread.

Attachments

• 20211123_212417.jpg
    20211123_212417.jpg
    279.4 KB · Views: 108

thering1975

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2014
Hi it's an iMac 2017. Also it was partitioned as Exfat and then deleted as per instructions in this thread.
Just a question are you trying to setup a Windows 11 alongside OSX and Windows 10? You seem to have a lot of partitions there, i.e OSX usually has 2, the Efi and main partitions, and Obviously if you have created 1 partition for Windows 11, you may have 1 or 2 if it creates the MSR (which appears to be there), seeing as there is a scrollbar there is obviously a lot of partitions which may also be the cause

You seem to have a lot of System 100mb partitions which i believe are also created by Windows, how come so many?? I would look into whats going on there because i think your partitions are what causing your issue. Obviously not going to tell you to delete any of them, you will need to research if you can and have a backup. of osx just incase

What shows when you hold option down and reboot, can you take a pic of the boot selection screen

Last edited:

Hassan69

macrumors member
May 17, 2009
Just a question are you trying to setup a Windows 11 alongside OSX and Windows 10? You seem to have a lot of partitions there, i.e OSX usually has 2, the Efi and main partitions, and Obviously if you have created 1 partition for Windows 11, you may have 1 or 2 if it creates the MSR (which appears to be there), seeing as there is a scrollbar there is obviously a lot of partitions which may also be the cause

You seem to have a lot of System 100mb partitions which i believe are also created by Windows, how come so many?? I would look into whats going on there because i think your partitions are what causing your issue. Obviously not going to tell you to delete any of them, you will need to research if you can and have a backup. of osx just incase

What shows when you hold option down and reboot, can you take a pic of the boot selection screen
Hi this was showing when i reboot. The partitions not sure where they came from. I recently had to format my HDD completely and was left with the fusion drive split, so i now have 27GB SSD and and 1TB HDD.

Attachments

• 20211123_214215[2481].jpg
    20211123_214215[2481].jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 99

thering1975

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2014
Hi this was showing when i reboot. The partitions not sure where they came from. I recently had to format my HDD completely and was left with the fusion drive split, so i now have 27GB SSD and and 1TB HDD.
Well all those partitions you showed in the first pic are on the same drive, so your issue is definitely down to the partition map in my view, i could be wrong but it's rare lol

May be worth looking at this to make it a fusion drive again

How to fix a split Fusion Drive – Apple Support (UK)

But again backup your data as it looks like an install

Hassan69

macrumors member
May 17, 2009

Hi, i'm in the process in a fresh install after combing the SSD & HDD. So should i just create a Exfat partiton or use boot camp instead.

thering1975

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2014
Hi, i'm in the process in a fresh install after combing the SSD & HDD. So should i just create a Exfat partiton or use boot camp instead.
If you have wiped your whole hard drive and installing osx. Once you have done that create your partition in OSX as mentioned before, Call it Windows11 exfat whatever size you want

Then boot from the usb created in rufus, when at that partition screen take a picture for reference so you know that if it goes wrong which partitions are mac osx allowing you to delete the rest. Then delete the partition you created earlier (Windows11) that should leave just your mac efi partition, your main mac drive partiton and then the unallocated space.

Click on the unallocated space and click next, now it may say Windows needs to create extra partitions, just click ok as thats the 16mb msr it creates, hopefully then it should complete

Hassan69

macrumors member
May 17, 2009
If you have wiped your whole hard drive and installing osx. Once you have done that create your partition in OSX as mentioned before, Call it Windows11 exfat whatever size you want

Then boot from the usb created in rufus, when at that partition screen take a picture for reference so you know that if it goes wrong which partitions are mac osx allowing you to delete the rest. Then delete the partition you created earlier (Windows11) that should leave just your mac efi partition, your main mac drive partiton and then the unallocated space.

Click on the unallocated space and click next, now it may say Windows needs to create extra partitions, just click ok as thats the 16mb msr it creates, hopefully then it should complete
Hi. i will following your instructions later but wanted to show you the image before i actual start it and you can tell me if this is ok. This after fusing the drives together and completing a fresh install.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2021-11-24 at 8.24.42 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-11-24 at 8.24.42 PM.jpeg
    156.1 KB · Views: 117

thering1975

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2014
Hi. i will following your instructions later but wanted to show you the image before i actual start it and you can tell me if this is ok. This after fusing the drives together and completing a fresh install.
that looks right, disconnect ur external HD

Create the windows partition may take 15 minutes or so

Hassan69

macrumors member
May 17, 2009
that looks right, disconnect ur external HD

Create the windows partition may take 15 minutes or so
I thought this would be the easy part in creating a partition, which I've done before. Now as you can see i can't create one, any ideas in what i'm doing wrong.

Attachments

• 20211124_211348.jpg
    20211124_211348.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 113
  • 20211124_211403.jpg
    20211124_211403.jpg
    225.2 KB · Views: 115
  • 20211124_211431.jpg
    20211124_211431.jpg
    206.2 KB · Views: 104
  • 20211124_211451.jpg
    20211124_211451.jpg
    328.8 KB · Views: 106

thering1975

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2014
I thought this would be the easy part in creating a partition, which I've done before. Now as you can see i can't create one, any ideas in what i'm doing wrong.
Okay quick Questions bare in mind i aint had my first coffee yet so not thinking the sharpest

I presume you have like a 2tb Drive and you have only assigned circa 1tb to Mac OSX and 1tb Free not assigned?
If that is the case why arent you making the Windows partition from the free space rather than shrinking the OSX partition.

If its a 1tb drive i cant get my head around the existing partitions i.e how can there be 1tb free?

I just searched for that error code and theres so many variations but no real solution.

You could try using Disk Util in recovery mode and see if it will do it from in there, or try creating a smaller partition say 150gb and see if that completes and then if it does try another 150gb partition because you can delete both of those in windows setup to create the 300gb

Last edited:

Hassan69

macrumors member
May 17, 2009
I was able to create the Exfat partition and lets see if i can now install Windows 11.

Attachments

• 20211125_184019.jpg
    20211125_184019.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 99

Hassan69

macrumors member
May 17, 2009
It failed again on Windows could not prepare the computer to boot into the next phase. It's probably easier just to build a PC!!

Last edited:

iaverius

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2021
mine it is a 2012 macbook pro.

download a copy of windows 11 pro from microsoft site. choose install on usb device (min 8 gb, I used 16 gb for security )

prepare other usb stick just to copy the file this REG file unzipped. You can also copy bootcamp 6 drivers and windows activation script (keep on reading)

insert the two pen into 2 usb ports. make sure which one contains windows 11 and which the reg file you just downloaded

ok : start bootcamp assistant and follow its instructions. once you are into the procedure

goto this site in another computer : https://winaero.com/how-to-install-windows-11-without-tpm-2-0/

find this part of the page :

BYPASS THE TPM 2.0 AND SECURE BOOT REQUIREMENTS IN THE SETUP PROGRAM REGISTRY​

and follow all the steps without exclusions.

at the end of this procedure you will get windows 11 installed, but with some drivers uninstalled. Just find out bootcamp ver 6 and run it in windows, as usual.

for activation use this link: https://www.nsaneforums.com/topic/316668-w10-digital-license-activation-script/

this method makes the Windows installation system not checking the TPM 2 or the type of cpu requirements.

message me if you need some help

Hassan69

macrumors member
May 17, 2009
Hi as you know in my previous posts i've been having issues installing Windows 11 or even 10 for that matter. I tried something different this time. i have installed Windows 11 on a USB stick and run it off there without actually installing Windows on the Mac. Is there a way that can use this to install on a partiton that has been converted Exfat.

joergz

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2019
In the last couple of weeks I tried to get either Win 10 or 11 installed via USB on my Mac Pro 3,1 but without success (got ACPI BIOS Error Blue screens; probably because of UEFI/GPT issues; tried different settings with Rufus, also tried Windows to go).

Long story short, the only option for me was to boot from a selfmade Win 11 DVD, invoke bypass.reg during the installation process (to skip TPM/CPU/SecureBoot checks) and install it on a MBR disc (not GPT). The only drivers I needed to install manually was the latest Realtek drivers 2.82 and the Apple Bluetooth drivers from here (www.mediafire.com/file/8sgg5mh3s3oo8yd/Apple_Bluetooth_Broadcom64.zip/file - version 5.0.4.0) for my WiFi/BT BCM93460 card. The ones from the Bootcamp installation files for Win 10 (version 3.2.0.1) weren't suitable.

More ressources in regards to the bypass.reg process:

In regards to the OS activation: I had Win7 installed with a valid license key, which I upgraded to Win 10 (and in the process got a valid digital license stored in my MS account) which allowed Win 11 to use the same digital license.

metapunk2077fail

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2021
Completely destroyed a Windows 11 VM yesterday. Downloaded a 4 kilobyte demoscene that should have been virus free because it is the most popular, and it had such a bad trojan. Windows 11 couldn't deal with it, I couldn't delete the file, and all these Terminal windows started appearing.

I had to quickly close the wifi and delete the VM.

bobcomer

macrumors 601
May 18, 2015
Completely destroyed a Windows 11 VM yesterday. Downloaded a 4 kilobyte demoscene that should have been virus free because it is the most popular, and it had such a bad trojan. Windows 11 couldn't deal with it, I couldn't delete the file, and all these Terminal windows started appearing.

I had to quickly close the wifi and delete the VM.
If you'd have had a snapshot of the VM, you could have went back to that. That's one of the best uses of VM's!

If I know I need to do something risky, I take a snapshot, do it, see the effects, then decide to keep the changes or not.

Reactions: metapunk2077fail

metapunk2077fail

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2021
If you'd have had a snapshot of the VM, you could have went back to that. That's one of the best uses of VM's!

If I know I need to do something risky, I take a snapshot, do it, see the effects, then decide to keep the changes or not.

That's what I did. Restored the old VM and ran the latest updates. Not going to download demoscene files again :p

What's super sad is the infected file I downloaded is from 2014. So after 8 years Windows 11 got borked by an old virus.

metapunk2077fail

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2021
I suppose it could have been infected recently, but yeah, not all vulnerabilities are fixed. :(
I was wondering how they did it. In the repo the date would change if it was infected. The newer version for DX11 didn't have a virus but it doesn't run in VMware, so that's when I tried the old one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.