Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will you try Windows 11 on boot camp?

• Total voters

DaveFromCampbelltown

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2020
Hi I have installed Windows 11 and it's working fine apart from that there is no sound coming out of the speakers. I've gone through and checked the settings and the sound is being played as the sound bar is moving. Any ideas in why i can't hear anything.

As you can see in the pictures sound setting there is sound there (blue line) and also device manager is showing the devices installed).

Do i need a different bootcamp driver.

I did a clean install of the official Win 11 image from Microsoft onto an external USB via Hasleo WinToUsb. This is connected to a late 2015 iMac.
I then installed the Windows Support system from Apple.
For me, at least, sound works perfectly. I didn't have to make any adjustments, other than to the volume.

DaveFromCampbelltown

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2020
Hi what is the mac version for Hasleo WinToUsb.

Sadly, there is none, I used a normal Bootcamp install of Windows 10 to do mine.

However I think you can use the free version of VMWare Fusion to install Win 10 or 11, then mount a USB SSD inside of that, and then use WinToUSB to put Win 11 onto the SSD.

Toledospod

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2020
Toledo, OH
So, after much thinking about this and researching, etc, I finally decided to try and install Windows 11 on my iMac Late 2013. I didn't use Boot Camp in the regular sense as I prefer to have it installed on a portable hard drive. After a few failed attempts in trying it in a VM and then transferring to an external SSD using 'WintoUSB', I finally tried using VirtualBox to install Windows 10 directly to the SSD(since I had a license key for that already) and then upgraded to Windows 11 after booting from the SSD and installing the latest BootCamp Support software from a USB flash drive. Aside from the multimedia buttons across the top of my Apple Magic Keyboard not working (the ones on the F1-F12 keys that control brightness, playback and volume controls), everything else worked fine after installing the Support Software!

Does anyone have any suggestions to get the keys across the top working again? I really miss having the ability to control the volume and brightness from the keyboard, was such a convenient way to do it. I read somewhere on the internet that some created a key mapping software for Windows 11, but I wondered if there was any other solutions out there?

Edit: I managed to find something that maps the Volume and Multimedia keys on the Apple keyboard now, so everything works!

Last edited:

Toledospod

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2020
Toledo, OH
Sadly, there is none, I used a normal Bootcamp install of Windows 10 to do mine.

However I think you can use the free version of VMWare Fusion to install Win 10 or 11, then mount a USB SSD inside of that, and then use WinToUSB to put Win 11 onto the SSD.
Dave is right, gotta be done from Windows in a Virtual Machine. As it happens, I tried this myself in the exact setup Dave is talking about here and it worked OK until I got to running WinToUSB, where it stalled twice during the installation onto the SSD (once at 29% and second time at 19%), no error messages, it just got stuck for about 20 mins, by which point I gave up and cancelled it. I ended up going with another method as I noted in my post above (post #254)

Roxy.music

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2019
uk
Has anyone tried Windows11. on Bootcamp ,if so how has it gone? I would like to put it on an external drive.I have Windows 10 on Bootcamp external drive.But a lot of the time it does not work.When it gets repaired by Windows i loose a lot of stuff.I never had any luck doing anything with Winclone. :(

Last edited:

Fsampei

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2021
Has anyone tried Windows11. on Bootcamp ,if so how has it gone? I would like to put it on an external drive.I have Windows 10 on Bootcamp external drive.But a lot of the time it does not work.When it gets repaired by Windows i loose a lot of stuff.I never had any luck doing anything with Winclone. :(
I have been trying windows 11 since his official release and it works very well. I installed it on a macbook 16 x64 as a upgrade of windows 10. I got all windows upgrade so far. I use the macbook for work and the system is stable.

petershawn1221

Suspended
Nov 3, 2021
Meta descriptions can be any length, but Google generally truncates snippets to ~155–160 characters. It's best to keep meta descriptions long enough that they're sufficiently descriptive, so we recommend descriptions between 50–160 characters. Keep in mind that the "optimal" length will vary depending on the situation, and your primary goal should be to provide value and drive clicks.

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018
I just read this about Windows 10

Microsoft issues warning to ALL Windows 10 users: You need to follow these steps now​

MICROSOFT has issued a stark warning to Windows 10 users about a new zero-day flaw, which could allow hackers to delete or steal your personal data, create new accounts on your PC, and much more. :(

. How many people still use Windows 7 ?:rolleyes:

Propaganda from Gates conspiracy.

Hassan69

macrumors member
May 17, 2009
Hi i've tried so many different ways to get windows 11 installed and this is the closest so far. Any idea how sort this out.

Attachments

• 20211105_202027.jpg
    20211105_202027.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 144

amgff84

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2019
Propaganda from Gates conspiracy.
I haven't read heard about this nor did I watch the video... Is this a serious concern or another BS scare to drum up sales? I always hated Win10 and I love 11 so far, but I'm a Mac guy still.

Jake3231

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2021
Over the summer, I upgraded my Windows 10 bootcamp install on my MacBookPro16,2 to Windows 11, and I lost the trackpad. There is no visible cursor, so I've had to navigate Windows using the keyboard. Has anyone else had this issue? I tried reinstalling the Bootcamp drivers within Windows, as well as using VMWare Fusion to update Windows 11, neither of which did anything.

GSWForever8

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 10, 2021
Hopefully Microsoft removes the TPM requirement. That’s the only thing stopping macs from running windows 11

thering1975

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2014
I Just popped Windows 11 on my MBP (Intel) this afternoon and so far had no issues at all that i can see and it runs really well.

FRESH INSTALL -

My Steps where as follows

• Download Windows 11 ISo and Bootcamp support drivers (the later via bootcamp util)
  • On a Windows Machine (baremetal or VM) download Rufus
  • Burn the ISO to USB with Rufus and copy accross the Windows support tools downloaded in step 1
The new version of Rufus has a new feature added thats easy to miss, when you drag the windows ISO to the Rufus window, there is an option to do a standard install or an EXTENDED Install. This Extended install removes all TPM / Ram/ Secure Boot checks and then burns to USB

• Create a exfat partition and name it something memorable (Windows wants 75gb recommended for 11, i set up with 50GB
  • Reboot machine (holding option) with the usb stick inserted AND a MOUSE
  • Select Efi Boot for Windows install option
  • When you get to Custom or upgrade select custom
  • Delete the parttion you created earlier and select the unallocated space to install Windows (in my case it warned its below recommended size but worked fine)
  • Install Windows as Normal
Now after a few reboots Windows 11 Setup screens starts but the Keyboard and Trackpad are unresponsive,hence the USB Mouse. I used this and onscreen keyboard to get to desktop

Once in the desktop, open the Windows support drivers and click Setup, now all the devices will work and you can reboot

Screenshot 2021-11-21 at 18.53.48.png

The image is just for reference you do not need the beta version as its been included in stable release

Last edited:
Reactions: SamuraiLegion

Hassan69

macrumors member
May 17, 2009
Hi i followed your instructions but i get an error at the stage where it is updating (Windows could not prepare the computer to boot into the next phase of installation. To install Windows , restart the installation), which i had before. Anyway to by pass it. I have disconnected from the internet and this made no difference.

Last edited:

thering1975

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2014
Hi i followed your instructions but i get an error at the stage where it is updating (Windows could not prepare the computer to boot into the next phase of installation. To install Windows , restart the installation), which i had before. Anyway to by pass it. I have disconnected from the internet and this made no difference.
My instructions where for a fresh install where you trying to upgrade an existing? if so see Fsampei link, if you have a usb already created he has a tool lower down the page that just does a quick fix to an existing usb iso image

At which point, i never faced this issue myself, it does a small update (not sure it actuall does as no drivers loaded) after it's copied the files from install to partition and before first reboot.

Should be noted i always complete Windows with offline account (what they stupidly call limited account) which would be needed as the wifi drivers unlikely to be loaded at that point

Did you use Rufus to create the usb drive (with extended and UEFI Boot defaults not csm, unless it's a really old non uefi mbp if they even exist)

Last edited:

thering1975

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2014
yeah i was reading up on that yesterday as that was my plan of action until i saw the entry in rufus whilst burning the image so tried that first. He also has one lower down the page that converts an already created windows 11 usb which i think is doing the same as rufus, i.e switching out to a server flag which then bypasses the tpm requirements without having to redownload

Fsampei

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2021
I already had windows 10 installed on bootcamp. I downloaded the windows 11 .iso, applied the script and started the setup on windows 10. There was no need to create a bootable USB device.

Hassan69

macrumors member
May 17, 2009
My instructions where for a fresh install where you trying to upgrade an existing? if so see Fsampei link, if you have a usb already created he has a tool lower down the page that just does a quick fix to an existing usb iso image

At which point, i never faced this issue myself, it does a small update (not sure it actuall does as no drivers loaded) after it's copied the files from install to partition and before first reboot.

Should be noted i always complete Windows with offline account (what they stupidly call limited account) which would be needed as the wifi drivers unlikely to be loaded at that point

Did you use Rufus to create the usb drive (with extended and UEFI Boot defaults not csm, unless it's a really old non uefi mbp if they even exist)
Hi mine was a fresh install and i followed exactly what you laid out, only difference was the size of the partition. And with Rufus it was same as the instructions you provided.

thering1975

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2014
Hi mine was a fresh install and i followed exactly what you laid out, only difference was the size of the partition. And with Rufus it was same as the instructions you provided.
I just nuked my install and recorded the following to see if i could get the same error, wonder if the latest ISO has a different check? Mine was Downloaded 3 weeks ago

Hassan69

macrumors member
May 17, 2009
Hi following your suggestion and created a Windows 11 USB bootable and the only difference was that I didn't need to change country settings as it was on UK already. The same issue as before came up (Windows could not prepare the computer to boot into the next phase of installation. To install Windows , restart the installation).

thering1975

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2014
Hi following your suggestion and created a Windows 11 USB bootable and the only difference was that I didn't need to change country settings as it was on UK already. The same issue as before came up (Windows could not prepare the computer to boot into the next phase of installation. To install Windows , restart the installation).
Have you tried a diff usb stick, or is it an external ssd style drive you have burnt the image too?. There are so many reports of this on all Windows installs that it could be anything

Some mention unplugging all usb devices or trying different ones (if you are using a mouse can you switch to a keyboard for the first part incase, others claim success in removing the USB device after it has "copied files for installation (copy or preparing)" not saying either of these may help you but no harm in trying as per video i literally nuked my install today to test and cannot replicate the issue myself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.