Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will you try Windows 11 on boot camp?

• Total voters

tdar

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2003
Johns Creek Ga.
For people who have newer PC's using Intel, Look for Intel PTT under Security in your "Bios" settings. That is Intel's version of TPM. One change not getting much attention is that Win 11 kills off the use of BIOS. UEFI only. Also, Secure Boot MUST be on. These changes are not enforced in the Insider Builds, but will be on the GA code. It's unlikely that Boot Camp will be updated to meet all of these requirements. But I expect great success with Parallels (or VMWare).

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
Already running Windows 11 in my dual boot Hack setup.

Very pleased with it. A very nice revision and clean up of many things.

Smooth, attractive, very fast, stable. I like it.

Reactions: Cape Dave

webg3

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2018
Is there any way to create a hybrid gpt/mbr partition for Windows to install the Legacy version via USB on a gpt SSD with macOS?

DaveFromCampbelltown

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2020
I was able to install the leaked version onto an external USB 3 SSD using Hasleo's WinToUSB.

I am currently downloading the official version 22000.51 and will see how that goes.

I was not able to install the leaked version under Bootcamp.

Update -- Using the instructions here and the copy of Win11 on the SSD, I was able to create a TPM-Free installer iso that Bootcamp accepted.
Pleasingly, it runs a lot better than I expected. While it is slower than the SSD to boot up, and slower to open large programs the first time (until cached) like Word or LibreOffice, the performance is generally acceptable on a 7 year old 5200 rpm HDD.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
Update -- Using the instructions here and the copy of Win11 on the SSD, I was able to create a TPM-Free installer iso that Bootcamp accepted.
Pleasingly, it runs a lot better than I expected. While it is slower than the SSD to boot up, and slower to open large programs the first time (until cached) like Word or LibreOffice, the performance is generally acceptable on a 7 year old 5200 rpm HDD.

interesting!

Will this hopefully be an option once windows 11 officially releases?

Can an install like this receive normal updates or will that reenable TPM requirements?

DaveFromCampbelltown

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2020
Is there any way to create a hybrid gpt/mbr partition for Windows to install the Legacy version via USB on a gpt SSD with macOS?

The easiest way is to use Hasleo's WinToUSB, which only runs on Windows.
So, if you don't have a copy of Windows on a PC or under Bootcamp, this is the long way around to do it
  1. Download and install the Personal Use version of VMWare Fusion
  2. Download a Windows 10 iso from Microsoft
  3. Use that to create an installation of Windows 10 under VMWare. Don't bother with licensing, you can use it free for 30 days legally
  4. Download and create a Windows Insider Win11 iso from UUP Dump
  5. Format your SSD as FAT32.
  6. Start up the Windows 10 under VMWare
  7. Mount the SSD.
  8. Copy over the Win11 iso from the Mac side
  9. Download Hasleo's WinToUSB from here and install it under Windows
  10. Run WinToUSB to apply your Win11 iso to the SSD. Select UEFI partitioning.
  11. When done, reboot your mac, hold down the Option Key and boot Win11 on the SSD.
  12. Enjoy

DaveFromCampbelltown

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2020
interesting!

Will this hopefully be an option once windows 11 officially releases?

Can an install like this receive normal updates or will that reenable TPM requirements?

Even after applying the registry hack from here to bypass TPM requirements, you can't accept Windows 11 Insider updates. However, you can still receive normal updates, like the build update that went from 22000.51 to 22000.65, as well as other normal updates.

This is as it is at the moment.

Who knows what will happen with the final official release? With all the bad feedback, MS might even drop the hardware requirements, or make two versions, one with and one without.

• Love
Reactions: turbineseaplane

Xavalon

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2017
Even after applying the registry hack from here to bypass TPM requirements, you can't accept Windows 11 Insider updates. However, you can still receive normal updates, like the build update that went from 22000.51 to 22000.65, as well as other normal updates.

This is as it is at the moment.

Who knows what will happen with the final official release? With all the bad feedback, MS might even drop the hardware requirements, or make two versions, one with and one without.
I have installed Windows 11 Insiders build on Bootcamp and was able to update to .65 simply fine. It was offered through Windows Update. I boot directly to Bootcamp, not using any virtualization software.

Xavalon

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2017
October 2020 Intel MacMini 16/512 with Boot camp - unable to join Insider program. Said it didn't meet requirements. I assume lack of TPM 2.0.

Did install on Surface Go (4/64!) and Laptop 2 - impressed and was looking forward to running on my Mini. Also, Go2 has optional privacy greyed out blocking insider program.
There is a trick to proceed with installing Windows 11 Insiders Build on your Mac Mini with Bootcamp. Google for "Windows 11 Bootcamp DLL" to find a few videos or web pages that explain how to do it. Worked for me, and even the recent update got installed simply fine. No need for using virtualization software.

Reactions: IowaLynn

Roxy.music

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2019
uk
The TPM 2.0 hard requirement means it won't be available for Intel Macs (unless you are virtualizing, of course).
Not only that but the only PC s it will work on are ones 3 years old or under acording to what reviewers have been saying. Here is a video
They will have to drop TRIM ,After all you can run Windows10 on 20 year old PC,s.I understand there is a way of doing it changing the regersty the guy mentions that in the videp. This video is about TPM 2.0 which i had no idea what it was so here is a video all about it.It is good to know about it as i am a non tech person.

So 50% of you will run Windows11 on bootcamp .

Last edited:

TipToe

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2019
Just upgraded to windows 11 on my 16inch MacBook Pro with VM Ware Fusion player 12, signed up for insider developer and all going well with it and so far no issues.

Took a snapshot before upgrading so I can go back to windows 10 pro.

Roxy.music

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2019
uk
Just upgraded to windows 11 on my 16inch MacBook Pro with VM Ware Fusion player 12, signed up for insider developer and all going well with it and so far no issues.

Took a snapshot before upgrading so I can go back to windows 10 pro.
I just read this about Windows 10

Microsoft issues warning to ALL Windows 10 users: You need to follow these steps now​

MICROSOFT has issued a stark warning to Windows 10 users about a new zero-day flaw, which could allow hackers to delete or steal your personal data, create new accounts on your PC, and much more. :(

. How many people still use Windows 7 ?:rolleyes:

ScottishDuck

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2010
Argyll, Scotland
My understanding is you can no longer get around the TPM requirements in the newer builds.

Anyone expecting Microsoft to drop this requirement are fooling themselves. MS fear government punishment over ransomware and other hacks. This is all for security and they will not walk back.

DaveFromCampbelltown

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2020
My understanding is you can no longer get around the TPM requirements in the newer builds.

Anyone expecting Microsoft to drop this requirement are fooling themselves. MS fear government punishment over ransomware and other hacks. This is all for security and they will not walk back.

We will see what happens over the next year or so as organisations find they need to shell out for new hardware to upgrade to Win 11.

bobcomer

macrumors 601
May 18, 2015
You might be surprised, having the latest OS hasn't been that important in Windows land like it is in Mac/iOS land. As an IT Manager I can tell you I wont be complaining about Windows 11 needing new hardware. The OS just isn't that important, it's what we run that is. New PC's will get Win11, but maybe nothing else, even if they can run it. (except my own test machines of course)

Reactions: AxiomaticRubric

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
I tried Windows 11 on my Alienware x17 laptop. I found that Google Chrome had serious graphics issues that I didn't have in Windows 10 or any other app.

I also had issues with Star Trek Online. It would load to just a black screen, the cursor changed into the the blue, spinning circle, and nothing would happen. After pressing my mouse a few times, I'd get the "This program stopped responding" message. Not the best built app, but it would at least run on Windows 10.

Definitely downgraded back to Windows 10.

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
You might be surprised, having the latest OS hasn't been that important in Windows land like it is in Mac/iOS land. As an IT Manager I can tell you I wont be complaining about Windows 11 needing new hardware. The OS just isn't that important, it's what we run that is. New PC's will get Win11, but maybe nothing else, even if they can run it. (except my own test machines of course)
I do IT work, as well. With the upped system requirements, I have to wonder if Microsoft will take a page from Apple's book and up the requirements more frequently now? By extension, will app developers take advantage of any new features?

bobcomer

macrumors 601
May 18, 2015
I do IT work, as well. With the upped system requirements, I have to wonder if Microsoft will take a page from Apple's book and up the requirements more frequently now? By extension, will app developers take advantage of any new features?
Hard to tell. I mainly just want my applications to run and if they run in 11, good, if not, no 11!

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Hard to tell. I mainly just want my applications to run and if they run in 11, good, if not, no 11!
I kind of hope Microsoft doesn't do what Apple does. Sure, the various Apple OSes are great and all, but it's hard to support an entire company/school district if various versions of the OS have different features. The frequent "You need a newer version of the OS to run this app" just makes it hard. I'm lucky to work in a school district since we get the summers off. With that, we can upgrade our fleet of devices fairly easily.

Reactions: RandomDSdevel
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.