Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will you try Windows 11 on boot camp?

• Total voters

Bandaman

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2019
Windows 11 hits me as Vista did: all eye candy and revisions but at the end of the day it'll be another hog like Windows has and always will be.
How is Windows a hog? It can run on a toaster as you have the option to turn as many things off as you like.

th0masp

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2015
What do you think of it? I think it’s just a macOS copycat. Copied the UI a lot.

To me it looks like good timing to settle on a hopefully thoroughly patched and from now on pretty static Windows 10 for a good few years, use it and watch the construction site called version 11 develop from the sidelines. Last thing needed is an OS that goes through major patches and keeps changing under the hood while I need it to simply do its job.

Reactions: RandomDSdevel

Feyl

Cancelled
Aug 24, 2013
I think Windows 11 looks stunning.
I'm glad that you're enjoying it. For me, Windows is still a copycat of macOS as it originally was. I mean even with this "new" Windows 11 you can still find areas that are straight from the Windows 3.1 or 95. Steve was right, Microsoft doesn't have any taste or vision. To me, Microsoft's products are not a labor of love, but a matter of utility. They are both too scared to truly innovate and to have any original vision. It's hard to imagine that anyone would pay real money for a Microsoft product. It's truly bad. It's something like Dacia.

Reactions: 09872738

Bubble99

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2015
There are themes for Windows that mimic macOS, there are themes for Linux and entire distributions that mimic Windows and macOS...
Yes there Linux distro that get close to looking like MacOS like elementary OS or linux Mint or puppy OS that has more classic windows look. But they cannot copy

This look close but mot clone

I have seen people get KDA plasma and tweak to look like MacOS because out of box it looks like windows. But with KDA plasma you can tweak more than Gnome.

Kung gu

Suspended
Oct 20, 2018
You can still setup an offline account without using Microsoft account. You just pick work and school, and pick “domain only”, and you will be able to create an offline account.
So many people are not going to do that and will be forced into making a MS account or logging into one.

MS clearly wants people to not use local accounts something I can easily do on my Mac at startup.

Aggedor

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2020
Here you go.

Looks really good and refreshing but like I said in the comments posted above it does not look like Microsoft have clean up their ways. And doing same shady stuff like windows 10 if not worse now where you need Microsoft account to install windows 11 or use windows 11.
Okay, does look a little cleaner than Windows 10, and they have... rounded some window corners? But half of the graphics in that video aren't actually in Windows 11, they're just fancy CG for the video.

TheralSadurns

Cancelled
Jul 8, 2010
Just from the promos I’ve seen the window management and assigned spaces (work, design, etc) are the features I’ll be most jealous of.
?! This is what I've been doing in macOS for nearly 10 years.
Use separate spaces with separate apps (I could have set different wallpapers but don't like that). And have these spaces and apps smoothly transition when I dock/undock my MacBook.

My left most space is stuff I am working on.
Then I have a fullscreen Mail space.
Fullscreen calendar space.
A space with Messages, WhatsApp, Teams, JIRA in a 2x2 layout.

And then 1-2 additional spaces for private stuff, or another project if I work on multiple things concurrently.

When I saw the Windows 11 demo I actually started laughing: "Wait, you couldn't do this in Windows before? Welcome to the party... 10 years later!"

Plus STILL no tabs in Explorer. And still no expanding folders in list view, so you can see the contents of multiple folders at the same time.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
So many people are not going to do that and will be forced into making a MS account or logging into one.

MS clearly wants people to not use local accounts something I can easily do on my Mac at startup.
Oh yeah, except on iOS device it still takes a few steps to not setup an Apple ID. I remember the same applies to macOS. It’s just not as invasive as Microsoft attempts.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
The TPM 2.0 hard requirement means it won't be available for Intel Macs (unless you are virtualizing, of course).
Are we, for sure, ruling this out? Couldn't Apple update the T2 firmware to provide TPM 2.0 functionality? Also, isn't it a CPU feature that can be enabled? Certainly any Mac with Kaby Lake or earlier (so pretty much every non-iMac-Pro Mac from 2017 and earlier) is left out. I have several Windows 10 systems; only one of them will take Windows 11. Insane.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Couldn't Apple update the T2 firmware to provide TPM 2.0 functionality?
Why would they?

First, Apple has only begrudgenly supported windows on a Mac, just look at how slow they update their bootcamp drivers.
Secondly, for Apple the M1 is the future, why spend time/effort and money on an OS that won't be supported.
Thirdly, they don't want Mac users to leave the ecosystem.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Why would they?

First, Apple has only begrudgenly supported windows on a Mac, just look at how slow they update their bootcamp drivers.

They did just give T2 Macs a good trackpad driver update that they similarly didn't have to. Plus, they have a sizeable Intel Mac community that depends on Boot Camp.

Secondly, for Apple the M1 is the future, why spend time/effort and money on an OS that won't be supported.

Which OS won't be supported? We're not talking about a version of macOS. Windows 11 COULD theoretically be supported. We're not talking about Windows 10 here. I guess I'm unsure of what you meant by "an OS that won't be supported" in this specific context.

Thirdly, they don't want Mac users to leave the ecosystem.
This has never stopped them from supporting Windows on Intel Macs before. I can't imagine that this will change now. Furthermore, Apple is a hardware company; they're content with you running Windows on a Mac so long as you're doing it on a Mac and not a PC.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
They did just give T2 Macs a good trackpad driver update that they similarly didn't have to. Plus, they have a sizeable Intel Mac community that depends on Boot Camp.
Those updates are few and far between, and while I agree with you about the sizable community, its not Apple's primary focus, and they'd much rather have those people living within their ecosystem. I highly doubt apple will do anything to enable TPM 2.0 in a manner that makes windows 11 compatible, especially when we're talking about legacy devices.

If they were so concerned about the sizable bootcamp community, they would have worked with MS, to provide an ARM based version of windows, but we both know that didn't (and will never) occur.

Which OS won't be supported?
Windows 11

This has never stopped them from supporting Windows on Intel Macs before.
As I said they begrudgingly support windows

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Those updates are few and far between, and while I agree with you about the sizable community, its not Apple's primary focus, and they'd much rather have those people living within their ecosystem. I highly doubt apple will do anything to enable TPM 2.0 in a manner that makes windows 11 compatible, especially when we're talking about legacy devices.

I'm not sure that I'd call a currently sold T2 Mac a "legacy device". I'll grant you that their focus on Intel Macs IS going to diminish from this point onward. But they're still being sold and they're still being supported. Certainly, when Microsoft puts out Windows 12 and limits things even further, Apple isn't going to backport any kind of support for it. But, given that Microsoft limited Windows 11 to PCs made no later than 2018, it's highly likely that the 9th and 10th Gen Intel CPUs won't even be supported for a Windows 12 by that point anyway.

Plus, if it's even possible, it likely wouldn't take that much work to do. It's not like the T2 isn't, in and of itself, the mother of all personal computing hardware security chips. It wouldn't surprise me at all if it included TPM functionality in its design.

If they were so concerned about the sizable bootcamp community, they would have worked with MS, to provide an ARM based version of windows, but we both know that didn't (and will never) occur.

I still wouldn't rule out Windows on ARM being supported on Apple Silicon in a native dual-boot fashion. It's extremely possible that Apple, knowing Microsoft's plans, was waiting for Windows 11 before providing any support. Incidentally, we might see entirely different licensing for Windows 11 for ARM64 than we did for Windows 10 for ARM64. Not saying it's any more likely than we thought Windows XP on Core Duo/Solo Intel Macs was pre-April-2006, but I don't know that it's necessarily LESS likely.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm not sure that I'd call a currently sold T2 Mac a "legacy device".
I would - its clear that apple is moving to a new platform, that means the existing platform is indeed legacy.

Only time will tell, whether windows 11 will be supported but as I've said, i'm of the opinion it won't be

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I would - its clear that apple is moving to a new platform, that means the existing platform is indeed legacy.

That more seems like a semantics debate. I'd argue that if it's still being sold, it's not quite yet legacy. Though, I won't at all argue against the notion that it's obviously heading down that path. That much seems unarguable at this point.

Only time will tell, whether windows 11 will be supported but as I've said, i'm of the opinion it won't be
You may very well be right about that. I think a lot of it depends on how much work would need to go into making Macs with 8th, 9th, and 10th Gen Intel work (seeing as 7th Gen Intel and earlier aren't even supported by Microsoft for Windows 11) as far as TPM 2.0 support is concerned. If it's not possible or if it's way more engineering hours than Apple cares for, then yeah, it probably won't happen. But if it's a simple editing a couple lines of code or a switch they can enable in the next firmware update, then I don't see why they wouldn't just do it. Drivers may be an issue, but that's largely on the component vendors. Apple only needs to support the Apple specific features (like the T2 stuff). But I can't imagine that much changes between Windows 10 and 11 as far as the rest of Boot Camp support is concerned. Windows 11's hardware requirements seems much more geared at ditching the 32-bit Windows finally and embracing security technologies that were largely optional in Windows 10.

srbNYC

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2020
New York, NY
All I know is that I've been able to work from home since March of 2020, and easing back to my office these days, working on that damned Windows machine, is causing my soul. (Plus, my fingers now really don't want to do anything new.)

Our IT manager is really pushing back on getting me a Mac unless I have a strong argument beyond "preference." I'm thinking, thinking, thinking about what I can come up with to tell him...

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Our IT manager is really pushing back on getting me a Mac
Managing PCs in the enterprise, is so much easier, and standardized. Group policies, and pushing out updates, is all automated and while i'm sure you can do the same on Mac it requires more resources simply because its different.

We have a couple of departments that use Macs and in my little world of support, I generally grimace when we get a ticket from those departments, simply because supporting the mac in the enterprise does present some unique challenges.

bobcomer

macrumors 601
May 18, 2015
But, given that Microsoft limited Windows 11 to PCs made no later than 2018, it's highly likely that the 9th and 10th Gen Intel CPUs won't even be supported for a Windows 12 by that point anyway.
Win11 support goes much further back than 3 years. Win11 will be installable on a PC with a TPM 1.2, which was first made in 2003. It's true not all PC's had them, but name brand ones most likely did and they can be enabled..

iHorseHead

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2021
Managing PCs in the enterprise, is so much easier, and standardized. Group policies, and pushing out updates, is all automated and while i'm sure you can do the same on Mac it requires more resources simply because its different.

We have a couple of departments that use Macs and in my little world of support, I generally grimace when we get a ticket from those departments, simply because supporting the mac in the enterprise does present some unique challenges.
As someone who works in IT Support we use SCCM & Kaseya for PCs and Addigy for Macs, but I got to say that managing Windows computers is way better and easier than a Mac. You can simply add new groups via AD and you can easily install programs just by 3 clicks, but you can't do that on a Mac so easily and remotely.
And PCs work better in a lot of ways. PCs can be set up easily so that it'd download everything and all the apps on the first boot.
How do you do this on a Mac? How do you set up a Mac to do this automatically? Lets assume the user creates their account and how would I make it install Microsoft Word (activated) + Firefox and other applications automatically?

Windows is way better for businesses. Windows Server is miles ahead from macOS server (which almost no one uses anyways).

Also, I work daily on a PC (on my work computer) and I don't have any issues or problems. Not sure why people are complaining or what's so bad about PCs / Windows.

For what I do PCs and Macs do the same thing. No problem with either one of them.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
How do you do this on a Mac?
We don't have a robust system, other then ensuring that they don't have admin access, and we require a minimum set of applications to remote in, antivirus, and other security related items.

We don't permit people accessing the internal network using their personal machines, mac or pc, so on the Mac side we just make sure they don't open us up to any malware/vulnabilities.

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.