Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jana_CZ

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2019
Thanks for creating this thread @NME42 👍

Question for @dallison13 - thanks for sharing the first impressions in the previous thread. Would you mind checking one particular detail for the running exercises please? When setting up pace alerts, do you see the 10s steps (as in WatchOS 9) or is finer selection possible?

dallison13

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2014
Thanks for creating this thread @NME42 👍

Question for @dallison13 - thanks for sharing the first impressions in the previous thread. Would you mind checking one particular detail for the running exercises please? When setting up pace alerts, do you see the 10s steps (as in WatchOS 9) or is finer selection possible?
Still appears to be 10s

• Sad
Reactions: Jana_CZ

NME42

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 15, 2019
That’s not what I hoped to hear… 😕 but thanks for checking! 👍

Maybe file a bug?

When I change from pace range to value, I have exactly one value in the dropdown that is no x:10. Eg 4:36. No idea where this is coming from.

Jana_CZ

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2019
Maybe file a bug?

When I change from pace range to value, I have exactly one value in the dropdown that is no x:10. Eg 4:36. No idea where this is coming from.
That’s already in WatchOS 9, I think it’s offering your “fast” pace calculated from some previous runs… I’m just assuming, though it’s consistent with my progress - the offered value becomes lower and lower with time.

Anyway, while waiting for the answer here, I also asked in the 10 Beta thread, and someone says that they can set up the range as they wish, not only in 10s steps… so I’m confused 😳https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/watch-os-10-beta-thread.2391839/post-32226465

Reactions: NME42

NME42

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 15, 2019
That’s already in WatchOS 9, I think it’s offering your “fast” pace calculated from some previous runs… I’m just assuming, though it’s consistent with my progress - the offered value becomes lower and lower with time.

To make it clear: I am on watchOS 9 and will stay there until the RC of watchOS 10 is released.

Yes, my "fast" pace is something strange. No idea, where this is coming from really. Magic. ;-)

xDKP

macrumors 68020
Feb 27, 2011
Denmark
Great with this new thread! Loved the old one :)

I really hoped setting up custom runs would be possible on the iPhone from the new software - this seems like a really small, but pretty important thing to leave out

Reactions: johnb300m and NME42

NME42

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 15, 2019
Great with this new thread! Loved the old one :)

Yes, great community and very helpful!

I really hoped setting up custom runs would be possible on the iPhone from the new software - this seems like a really small, but pretty important thing to leave out

With the new Workouts-SDK it should be fairly easy to build a simple iPhone app for custom run creation and syncing to the training app.
Of course, major players like TrainingPeaks will be there with the launch. Guess others like FinalSurge will follow.

I used the free (and very limited) version of TrainingPeaks in the past to create workouts for the Stryd training app. Was ok for me, but would not pay for a full subscription. Also, the training creation was only via web browser (no idea, if they have an app now too) and did not cover everything I like (e.g. nested repeats).

Was thinking to develop a simple app to create and manage workouts, similar to the Garmin Connect way which is quite good. But guess I will not have the time so waiting for someone else to do so ;-).

Reactions: cubodado and xDKP

xDKP

macrumors 68020
Feb 27, 2011
Denmark
Yes, great community and very helpful!

With the new Workouts-SDK it should be fairly easy to build a simple iPhone app for custom run creation and syncing to the training app.
Of course, major players like TrainingPeaks will be there with the launch. Guess others like FinalSurge will follow.

I used the free (and very limited) version of TrainingPeaks in the past to create workouts for the Stryd training app. Was ok for me, but would not pay for a full subscription. Also, the training creation was only via web browser (no idea, if they have an app now too) and did not cover everything I like (e.g. nested repeats).

Was thinking to develop a simple app to create and manage workouts, similar to the Garmin Connect way which is quite good. But guess I will not have the time so waiting for someone else to do so ;-).
Spot on! Should be just create custom runs so a fairly easy setup process

NME42

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 15, 2019
Spot on! Should be just create custom runs so a fairly easy setup process

And I think this will be the way Apple will allow to upload courses too.
Clever. Not Apple connects to different platforms. Just offer an API and let everyone else connect. Also better for the users.

Reactions: xDKP

NME42

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 15, 2019
Upping this thread as we are moving closer to watchOS 10 release date.

Anyone running with the watchOS 10 beta and can report on some findings or new features?
Did Apple do some work on the activity awards? Writing this as I still get these annoying "Congrats, you did a 10km run yesterday" medals. Well, ran 19.5km and this is nothing special so these medals are really boring.

Reactions: xDKP

dallison13

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2014
Upping this thread as we are moving closer to watchOS 10 release date.

Anyone running with the watchOS 10 beta and can report on some findings or new features?
Did Apple do some work on the activity awards? Writing this as I still get these annoying "Congrats, you did a 10km run yesterday" medals. Well, ran 19.5km and this is nothing special so these medals are really boring.
They did change it up a bit but mostly lipstick on a pig. Just more organized awards on the watch and phone and looks a little nicer. It still lets you know that you completed a 5k, 10k, etc., but you can also turn off those alerts.

If you run a lot, then those alerts will become meaningless after a while. I think a better way to go about it would be to measure your current 5K (maybe the 10th one you have finished this month, lol) against similar runs, so you can gauge your progress, similar to how Strava and Training Peaks do it.

Anyway, just my 2 cents.

NME42

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 15, 2019
Anyway, just my 2 cents.

Thanks for sharing.
So it is more or less the same (now) boring thing. Always the same monthly challenges, always the same messages you can send when a friend completes a workout.

A pity. So much could be done as you pointed out.

dallison13

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2014
I will say, Beta 3 GPS accuracy is off the charts good. Holy cow. The first few betas knocked down the accuracy from previous levels, so maybe its just back to where it was, but I have done 3 runs since then and its as accurate (even under tree cover) as anything I have ever seen. So that's good, I guess!

NME42

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 15, 2019
I will say, Beta 3 GPS accuracy is off the charts good. Holy cow. The first few betas knocked down the accuracy from previous levels, so maybe its just back to where it was, but I have done 3 runs since then and its as accurate (even under tree cover) as anything I have ever seen. So that's good, I guess!

Wow! That is great news. Though GPS accuracy is already great with my AW7 and watchOS 9.

Which AW do you run with?

NME42

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 15, 2019
DC Rainmaker on the running features in watchOS 10 and (maybe) beyond:

Reactions: xDKP and Jana_CZ

xDKP

macrumors 68020
Feb 27, 2011
Denmark

Seems like the mapping feature has quite some way to go, before the trail-crowd can actually use it. Build in to the workout app seems like a no brainer as a data-page etc.

Have you jumped on the PB1 @nme?

Jana_CZ

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2019

Thanks for sharing - I feel adventurous so I’m installing the beta now 🙂 If I see anything worth mentioning I’ll post here…

Reactions: NME42 and xDKP

Jana_CZ

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2019
Ok one change that was a bit confusing at first:

The workout configuration (alerts, views) is now NOT accessible from the actual workout; there’s still a little pencil icon at each workout suggesting that you can edit it, but that only allows to start/share/delete that workout. So if you want to adjust the configuration, SCROLL DOWN to the very bottom of the running workouts list to access the options.

Since the configuration applies to (almost) all workouts it makes sense it’s available separately, but having to scroll all the way down is a pain - especially if you have a lot of predefined exercises on the list… 😐

Reactions: NME42 and xDKP

xDKP

macrumors 68020
Feb 27, 2011
Denmark
Ok one change that was a bit confusing at first:

The workout configuration (alerts, views) is now NOT accessible from the actual workout; there’s still a little pencil icon at each workout suggesting that you can edit it, but that only allows to start/share/delete that workout. So if you want to adjust the configuration, SCROLL DOWN to the very bottom of the running workouts list to access the options.

Since the configuration applies to (almost) all workouts it makes sense it’s available separately, but having to scroll all the way down is a pain - especially if you have a lot of predefined exercises on the list… 😐
Hmm... That's weird way to do it.

You mention you can share custom workouts? That's pretty cool if you meet up with a friend for a specific workout and you want to sync watches :)

Jana_CZ

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2019
You mention you can share custom workouts? That's pretty cool if you meet up with a friend for a specific workout and you want to sync watches :)
It seems so, yes. Except I don’t have anyone around to test it on 😬 but I tried to send one to myself (it can be shared via a message or email), it sends a .workout file and when the recipient attempts to open the file, a prompt offers importing the workout to their Watch.

Reactions: xDKP and NME42

NME42

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 15, 2019
Seems like the mapping feature has quite some way to go, before the trail-crowd can actually use it. Build in to the workout app seems like a no brainer as a data-page etc.

Have you jumped on the PB1 @nme?

No Beta for me, too risky. I am a coward.

Mapping is ok for me. I am fine with both Footpath and also WorkOutDoors for the Time being. I seldom run in areas where I need a map.
Today I ran in a city with WOD. Perfect. If Apple would have it, even more Perfect.

Reactions: cfc

xDKP

macrumors 68020
Feb 27, 2011
Denmark
It seems so, yes. Except I don’t have anyone around to test it on 😬 but I tried to send one to myself (it can be shared via a message or email), it sends a .workout file and when the recipient attempts to open the file, a prompt offers importing the workout to their Watch.

This is great! Imagine when they take this to the next level and incorporate maps and the official marathons could make a full race downloadable the day before 😍😍😍
No Beta for me, too risky. I am a coward.

Mapping is ok for me. I am fine with both Footpath and also WorkOutDoors for the Time being. I seldom run in areas where I need a map.
Today I ran in a city with WOD. Perfect. If Apple would have it, even more Perfect.

Same here - gonna wait a couple of PB’s before taking the plunge

Jana_CZ

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2019
… gonna wait a couple of PB’s before taking the plunge
pffft pffft, no adrenaline? 🙄😂

…I totally get it though, anything can happen with a beta, incl. a bad battery drain and such. There’s no exciting new amazingness in the running workouts anyway, unlike last year… so it’s not like you’re missing out really

Reactions: xDKP and NME42
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.