Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eeek5127

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2014
IMG_0050.jpeg
I just peaked at the route- it looks like it didn’t record until it was a tenth of a mile into the run- which matches up with the distance issue. I have/had LTE enabled since I’ve had my last 3 watches. My guess is it was trying to talk to the phone or my home WiFi and when I hit that distance, it went to LTE.

NME42

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 15, 2019
View attachment 2270566 I just peaked at the route- it looks like it didn’t record until it was a tenth of a mile into the run- which matches up with the distance issue. I have/had LTE enabled since I’ve had my last 3 watches. My guess is it was trying to talk to the phone or my home WiFi and when I hit that distance, it went to LTE.

Hmmm.. As Ultra does not use a connected iPhone's GPS, no idea. Looks like the watch did not record anything (not even garbage) on your first few hundred meters.

What are the grey dots in the map? Did you put them there? Never seen such before.

Jana_CZ

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2019
(..) I use the native apple
Running app and import into Strava. I am currently running with an Ultra. I updated my watch yesterday- not to the beta, but to the final release. Today my 3.1 mile run was recorded as 2.86.
If it annoys you (it would annoy me for sure!), you can fix this in Strava - when you open the imported run in Strava on their website (not via the app), click the three dots menu on the left, and then Correct Distance. That will recalculate the distance based on Strava’s map data.

NME42

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 15, 2019
Nope- I didn’t add them- that’s straight from the map of the workout.
Ah, so the watch knows you have been moving and afterwards it assumes your path? Interesting.

Did you run the dotted path or did you take the road above?

eeek5127

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2014
If it annoys you (it would annoy me for sure!), you can fix this in Strava - when you open the imported run in Strava on their website (not via the app), click the three dots menu on the left, and then Correct Distance. That will recalculate the distance based on Strava’s map data.
Hero move- thanks! I found out I ran 3.08 vs 3.1 though!

Jana_CZ

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2019
What are the grey dots in the map? Did you put them there? Never seen such before.
Looks like the dreaded gps gaps (only doubled for some reason). If you never seen those before you’re a lucky one! Some of us are getting these all the time with Watch OS 10, there’s a whole thread about this (look up “Runners Beware” thread title)

Attachments

• IMG_0102.jpeg
    IMG_0102.jpeg
    74.8 KB · Views: 43

NME42

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 15, 2019
Looks like the dreaded gps gaps (only doubled for some reason). If you never seen those before you’re a lucky one! Some of us are getting these all the time with Watch OS 10, there’s a whole thread about this (look up “Runners Beware” thread title)
Yes, I know about this thread and also contributed to it. Let's carry the topic over to here as beta time is over and it seems the bug made it to production, sadly.

NME42

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 15, 2019
Did a custom workout today with LTE enabled to check if this potentially impacts GPS accuracy or causes dropouts.
No, everything was fine. Distance was spot on, no gaps or pace anomalies.

Last run with my AW7. My Ultra 2 will arrive tomorrow. :)

Reactions: Jana_CZ

johnl1275

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2007
Reactions: NME42

johnl1275

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2007
Did a custom workout today with LTE enabled to check if this potentially impacts GPS accuracy or causes dropouts.
No, everything was fine. Distance was spot on, no gaps or pace anomalies.

Last run with my AW7. My Ultra 2 will arrive tomorrow. :)
Woo hoo! Get ready for that crazy battery life!! I went from a 7 to the first Ultra last year and that was the game changer

NME42

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 15, 2019
it is only $10 a year (in US dollars) and I find it worth every penny even before this addition. I am super excited about this addition.

Sounds good. Can you tell a little how the workout editor is? Can’t check without subscription. Thx

johnl1275

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2007
IMG_7796.png IMG_7797.png IMG_7798.png IMG_7799.png IMG_7800.png
Sounds good. Can you tell a little how the workout editor is? Can’t check without subscription. Thx
Here are some screen shots. Seems easier than making them on the watch.

There is an option to schedule a workout. I have not tested that, but I assume the workout will not show up until that date maybe.

The only downside I see is that once you have created the workout in Tempo you cannot edit it there. After you transfer it to the watch you can edit on the watch though.

NME42

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 15, 2019
Here are some screen shots. Seems easier than making them on the watch.

Thanks John! Highly appreciated.

My Ultra 2 arrived today and it is really one nice piece of technology. Love it. Setup was easy, maybe 30mins or so until everything was back as I used to have it (WOD maps, Overcast and stuff) and the action button was configured. Compared to Garmin this time is nothing.

Did a 20km run and GPS quality was very good. No quirks or dropouts or such.

And battery life is really amazing. 1% per km or so is nothing. And I had LTE enabled and was streaming bluetooth. On my AW7 the same took about 3% per km.

NME42

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 15, 2019
Did a run today with WorkoutDoors (everything fine), but it seems that since watchOS 10 there are NO system sounds (e.g. when auto lapping) coming through when a bluetooth headset is connected. Was definitely the case with watchOS 9.
When switching off the headset, the tones are there.
Will file a bug report.

rbart

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2013
France
What kind of sounds are missing ?
The "ding" or the voice alert.
With my own app (free advertising), I can ear both in my headphones.

NME42

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 15, 2019
What kind of sounds are missing ?
The "ding" or the voice alert.
With my own app (free advertising), I can ear both in my headphones.

The „ding“.

Tested with WOD and Apple Training App. Also the „dings“ of notifications (iMessage or so) are not played.
Strange that your app does.

rbart

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2013
France
Strangely, standard WatchKit notifications have never been played through headset.
We have to manually play a sound to send it through BT
It’s like that since watchOS 1
Maybe the API I use continue to work and other developers have made it differently ?
To be honest, sound mixer API is not so easy to understand…

NME42

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 15, 2019
Strangely, standard WatchKit notifications have never been played through headset.
We have to manually play a sound to send it through BT
It’s like that since watchOS 1
Maybe the API I use continue to work and other developers have made it differently ?
To be honest, sound mixer API is not so easy to understand…
As I do not have a device anymore with watchOS 9 I can not check.
Not even sure if the standard notifications came through the headset or the watch played them on its loudspeaker. I was and am wearing Shokz headsets that allow to hear the surrounding as they are not stuffed in the ears. So could well be the case.

rbart

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2013
France
Trust me …
I have spent hours coding this to have notifications in headsets on watchOS 8 and 9

NME42

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 15, 2019
One observation and not sure if it is watchOS 10 or my new Ultra 2: where the combination AW7 with watchOS 9 measured a tiny bit shorter than measured in the past with my Garmins or I click routes, the combination Ultra 2 plus watchOS 10 is spot on.

I have a standard route that was consistently 10,57km that is now being measured as 10,67km which is as close as it can be to the real distance.
Will run this week a lot of my other standard routes and will see if this assumption holds.

Reactions: Jana_CZ and lpb
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.