Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jana_CZ

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2019
Brief note on the AW9 - have done several runs with it so far since last Friday, no issues just yet (such as those gps gaps or similar). It’s been all Open Runs, no interval workouts planned this week - but I’m curious so will try asap. Also, will try the pacer type of run for this Saturday’s 10k; I used to see quite a few gps hiccups on that route, I’d really love to see that fixed too… fingers crossed!

Reactions: NME42

Jana_CZ

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2019
So about the usually glitchy 10k route - today it was recorded without a single hiccup. The route is a certified one so I could keep an eye on the accuracy - the distance I ran was displayed as tiny bit longer than the official one, but that’s expected (due to the path curvature etc). Ran with AW9 with LTE, but left the phone in my backpack at the deposit this time. It was a “Pacer” type of run - not very reliable with the beta versions of Watch OS 10.

Next time I’ll try again with the phone in my pocket, didn’t really have much energy left today to make a comparison right away 😂

NME42

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 15, 2019
Next time I’ll try again with the phone in my pocket, didn’t really have much energy left today to make a comparison right away 😂
As all AWs starting with 8 always use their own GPS, bringing your iPhone will not change anything.

NME42

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 15, 2019
Yesterday on a custom interval workout, the first 100 meters were missing (dotted later in the Apple Fitness app).
I think I waited with the precision start, but I am not sure. Recognized it quite late when I checked at a known kilometer mark and saw that I only had 900m on the watch. So not sure how it behaved during the first 100 meters.

No idea, never had this with watchOS 10.

NME42

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 15, 2019
Had a run in heavy rain. Love the action button for such situations.
But I also noticed, the touchscreen of my Ultra 2 can be operated lots better than my AW7. Almost looks like the screen does not get that wet as water pours down more easily?

Reactions: xDKP

rbart

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2013
France
All brand new screens have a better anti finger print coating
It’s the same feeling on a new iPhone or iPad

xDKP

macrumors 68020
Feb 27, 2011
Denmark
IMG_2055.png
IMG_2054.png
Just ran The Bremen Marathon 2023 this Sunday and had the race of my life - amazing and the Ultra with pacer mode all the way was great! Put my iPhone in airplane mode as well, so a friend could track me on the route with electric bike and have drinks on a couple of points. Before putting it on airplane mode, Find My Friends would show me at the hotel all the time and not at the point of my watch

But the whole reason I post this is just to say, that the damn gold medals are still messed up in Apple Fitness!

5K and 10K record is good, but for both my half and full marathon records they are way too fast. Almost as if it counts 20K and 40K times or something

NME42

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 15, 2019
Just ran The Bremen Marathon 2023 this Sunday and had the race of my life

Absolutely. Congratulations on your amazing result. Running a Sub 3 is a dream of many hobby runners and only a small amount will be able to run this. Truly stunning. Enjoy!

Yes, the medals and PRs in Apple Health are really broken. Got notification lately that I ran my fastest 5k in 32 mins or so? Well, I am now an old and fat bloke, but not that slow really. :cool:.
Also sadly, watchOS 10 brought no visible changes to the daily/monthly motivational medals. Had a 9,9km run this week and was presented afterwards (and the day after) again this stupid "Congratulations on your 5km run" medal.

• Love

xDKP

macrumors 68020
Feb 27, 2011
Denmark
Absolutely. Congratulations on your amazing result. Running a Sub 3 is a dream of many hobby runners and only a small amount will be able to run this. Truly stunning. Enjoy!

Yes, the medals and PRs in Apple Health are really broken. Got notification lately that I ran my fastest 5k in 32 mins or so? Well, I am now an old and fat bloke, but not that slow really. :cool:.
Also sadly, watchOS 10 brought no visible changes to the daily/monthly motivational medals. Had a 9,9km run this week and was presented afterwards (and the day after) again this stupid "Congratulations on your 5km run" medal.

Thank you very much - it has been a long time dream of mine to go Sub3 and I have felt it to be an unrealistic goal - but I F****** DID IT! 😍

And yeah those medals suck hard - love the fact it gives silver for half and full marathon even though you didn't crush the PR, but still always impressive to run. I don't need it for 5K or 10K and especially not for 10K if my run was actually 20K

But the gold medals for half and full marathon seems so far off there has been something wrong for years

• Love
Reactions: johnl1275 and NME42

NME42

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 15, 2019
Checked my medals. They are badly broken. Have one for 500 movement targets (whatever the name in English is). And on my one in progress it says I reached 5 (!) of 1000 targets. Sure.

NME42

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 15, 2019
Today now the third custom workout where the first about 100-150m are missing. Observed it closely today and the "interval distance" stayed at 0 meters.
First run where this happened was last Sunday. Strangely, my custom workout this Tuesday did not show the problem.

I suspect it has something to do with "auto pausing", which is deactivated in custom workouts but somehow kicks in. As soon as I manually pause and restart, the meters start counting.

Am I the only one with this issue?

xDKP

macrumors 68020
Feb 27, 2011
Denmark
Today now the third custom workout where the first about 100-150m are missing. Observed it closely today and the "interval distance" stayed at 0 meters.
First run where this happened was last Sunday. Strangely, my custom workout this Tuesday did not show the problem.

I suspect it has something to do with "auto pausing", which is deactivated in custom workouts but somehow kicks in. As soon as I manually pause and restart, the meters start counting.

Do you use auto pause on normal runs? I never have it activated so don’t think I’ve spotted the issue

NME42

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 15, 2019
Do you use auto pause on normal runs? I never have it activated so don’t think I’ve spotted the issue
Yes, great feature. On interval workouts it is automatically deactivated. On plain vanilla runs I love it.

Not sure what is happening. I have opened a ticket at FeedbackAssistent.

Jana_CZ

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2019
Just ran The Bremen Marathon 2023 this Sunday and had the race of my life - amazing and the Ultra with pacer mode all the way was great! Put my iPhone in airplane mode as well, so a friend could track me on the route with electric bike and have drinks on a couple of points. Before putting it on airplane mode, Find My Friends would show me at the hotel all the time and not at the point of my watch

But the whole reason I post this is just to say, that the damn gold medals are still messed up in Apple Fitness!

5K and 10K record is good, but for both my half and full marathon records they are way too fast. Almost as if it counts 20K and 40K times or something
Congratulations, really great time! 👍

Yes the medals have been broken since forever, I assume because the steps to repro are too challenging for the devs… 😂

• Haha
Reactions: NME42 and xDKP

Jana_CZ

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2019

Done some intervals training on Tuesday, no glitches - I do have the auto-pause on, but it’s ignored during custom runs (I did walk and/or completely stopped during the recovery intervals but all was recorded as expected). So, haven’t had the issue you’ve described.

• Love
Reactions: xDKP and NME42

NME42

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 15, 2019
Any beta users here who tried Double Tap in the Training app?

Jana_CZ

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2019
Any beta users here who tried Double Tap in the Training app?

Not just yet (not in beta right now) but I’m afraid it’s not gonna work 🫤

IMG_0333.jpeg

xDKP

macrumors 68020
Feb 27, 2011
Denmark

View attachment 2292403
Makes sense kind of - but as a person running sub 4 minute km's once in a while, they weight is really not an issue with a Sports loop on the Ultra. They have very quickly become my absolute favourite running straps.

NME42

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 15, 2019
Makes sense kind of - but as a person running sub 4 minute km's once in a while, they weight is really not an issue with a Sports loop on the Ultra. They have very quickly become my absolute favourite running straps.
+1

Absolutely no issues with the weight and a Trail Loop.
60g is lighter than the smallest Garmin Fenix 7 btw. (63g).

NME42

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 15, 2019
thanks. Makes sense. With an Ultra and its Action Button not much of a deal.
Hope they don't deactivate double tap during running so that at least one can dismiss notifications by double tapping.

Jana_CZ

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2019
Okay so there’s a change either in Strava or on Apple’s side: with the auto-pause ON, the idle time now shows in the splits as if it was moving time… not sure if I like this. 🤔

Can anyone confirm that you observe the same?

IMG_0335.jpeg IMG_0336.jpeg

Jana_CZ

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2019
No issue with RunGap and Runalyze.

How do you sync to Strava?
I just checked RunGap and Runalyze - both look as expected (i.e. splits leave out the idle time and show the moving pace). Only Strava shows slower pace on the splits where I paused.

I’m syncing via the iOS Strava app - gave it access to Apple Health. I’ll try syncing via RunGap after tomorrow’s run to see if there’s any difference…

Edit to add: I checked other recent runs. October 5 run is still as expected, Oct 7 run is already impacted by this change. I haven’t updated Watch OS between those two dates, but not 100% sure about iOS (I have updated that recently but not sure when exactly).

Last edited:

NME42

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 15, 2019
Strava often caused confusion with their handling of elapsed and moving time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.