Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xDKP

macrumors 68020
Feb 27, 2011
Denmark
pffft pffft, no adrenaline? 🙄😂

…I totally get it though, anything can happen with a beta, incl. a bad battery drain and such. There’s no exciting new amazingness in the running workouts anyway, unlike last year… so it’s not like you’re missing out really
Yeah I did sound really boringly sensible right there. Have been on betas a lot of years and it breaks my bank app every year on iOS (big PITA) and yeah last year I REALLY had to jump to try out all the new stuff (still love all those things btw)...

This year I think I'm gonna maybe wait :D

Reactions: Jana_CZ and NME42

Jana_CZ

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2019
Ok this is not directly related to the fitness app but - if you like using your Watch to listen to downloaded music while running, this might be useful:
- when you open the Music app on the Watch, the downloads are not displayed directly on the screen. This is a bit confusing, first I thought the albums I had there were removed during the upgrade. But no - you just need to tap the first item on the menu (with the play button icon… I assume the English label will be something like “play” or “listen”).
- also, it seems we no longer have to put the Watch on the charger to sync new music, yay! I’ve tried adding some new albums and it seems it’s working even when keeping the Watch on my wrist. Can’t say how reliable it is though, I can’t find an easy way to display a track list for a particular album to check that all songs are synced (crown scrolling sometimes changes the volume and sometimes brings up the track list, but what’s the difference - no idea 😬 it’s not really intuitive..!)

Reactions: NME42

BullHorn

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2023
The new Music app on the Watch is extremely confusing to use, especially where you have to do like 5-6 taps to get to the point where you can scroll through a playlist.

Jana_CZ

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2019
The new Music app on the Watch is extremely confusing to use, especially where you have to do like 5-6 taps to get to the point where you can scroll through a playlist.
I gave up trying to open the playlist on purpose and just play albums… 🤷‍♀️
Having said that… it seems it’s eating the battery A LOT. With Watch OS 9, I could go for a morning run (1-2 hrs) with music on, and the battery would last easily till the evening (or even the next morning, though that’s already living on the edge…) - but today, despite the battery was fully charged before the run, it was about to die already around lunchtime. Not happy about this… 😐

NME42

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 15, 2019
Just submitted a feedback request/idea to Apple.
Would love to see additional metrics on the summary screen when doing interval workouts. Besides distance, the pace of the last interval would be cool.

What do you think?

Reactions: xDKP

Jana_CZ

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2019
Would love to see additional metrics on the summary screen when doing interval workouts. Besides distance, the pace of the last interval would be cool.

What do you think?
Ideally this could be customisable… so everyone can pick what’s useful for them 🙂

PatrickNSF

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011

What do you think?
I put in a similar request last year when the new running metrics were added.

I’d like to see the heart rate zone bar, distance, lap/segment pace, average pace, and elapsed time on one screen without scrolling. I can get close with the summary screen but I’m missing the heart rate zone bar. (I think the bar is more glanceable than the heart rate number.)

Reactions: NME42 and Jana_CZ

Jana_CZ

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2019
Ok there seems to be a nasty bug in Watch OS 10 (public beta), first I thought it was a coincidence but it’s reproducible each time:

When using a Custom run with multiple Work / Recovery intervals,* there’s gaps in the GPS data. When viewing the run in the Fitness app, it seems to impact just the elevation data, but then 3rd party apps (such as Strava) have problems with the imports, won’t show the pace / segments correctly (as parts of the path are missing) etc.

Is there anyone else using the Public Beta? Would you please be able to confirm? (If you’re using the Feedback app and happen to reproduce the bug too, please report it, you can use my bug report id FB12671402 as a reference)

*) it can be as simple as Work (distance) / Recovery (time) / Work (distance) / Recovery (time)

• Wow
Reactions: xDKP and NME42

NME42

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 15, 2019
I have seen a posting in this forum about watchOS 10 runs with corrupt GPS data. Can’t remember where.

Reactions: Jana_CZ

BullHorn

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2023
I’ve been talking to the HealthFit dev about .fit export to Strava and Intervals.icu since beta started.

He has solved most of the bugs, so even when GPS data is missing, the export to those websites is not getting time and pace wrong.

I’m not sure when he plans to release it officially.

Reactions: Jana_CZ and NME42

xDKP

macrumors 68020
Feb 27, 2011
Denmark
Ok there seems to be a nasty bug in Watch OS 10 (public beta), first I thought it was a coincidence but it’s reproducible each time:

When using a Custom run with multiple Work / Recovery intervals,* there’s gaps in the GPS data. When viewing the run in the Fitness app, it seems to impact just the elevation data, but then 3rd party apps (such as Strava) have problems with the imports, won’t show the pace / segments correctly (as parts of the path are missing) etc.

Is there anyone else using the Public Beta? Would you please be able to confirm? (If you’re using the Feedback app and happen to reproduce the bug too, please report it, you can use my bug report id FB12671402 as a reference)

*) it can be as simple as Work (distance) / Recovery (time) / Work (distance) / Recovery (time)
Okay this is a biggie - I have intervals each week, with run/recovery etc.

Jana_CZ

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2019
[UPDATE: perhaps a bug with auto-laps, details below]

Heya, any Strava subscriber (running with the Watch workout app & importing runs to Strava, to be more precise) willing to check something for me pretty please?

I used to have a “Workout Analysis” section in the lower part of a workout overview in the Strava app, which was super useful e.g. for fartlek runs* (easily visible fast/slow intervals). But now there’s this kinda useless “Pace Analysis” - not much extra value to it as it’s pretty much the same as the already existing “Splits” part.

Is it something caused by Watch OS 10 (i.e. can you still see it the “old way” if you’re on OS 9) or is it a change in Strava?

Edit to add: my last workout when it still worked the “old way” was July 28, if it helps when checking your data…

*) To do this, I’d simply set some target pace as a borderline for slow/fast, like 5:00 or 5:30 or so; every time I’d get from slow to fast or back, it would mark another interval. It’s an “Open Run.”

IMG_8390.jpeg

——————

Updated information: after reviewing more of my recent runs, I got to conclusion that it stopped working after updating to Watch OS 10 PB2. The timeline matches.

The reason seems to be that the pace change above/below target doesn’t create an auto-lap anymore.

When checking other people’s Strava runs, they still do have the “workout analysis” as expected, so it’s not a change on Strava’s end. They still include it for all runs with more than one lap: https://support.strava.com/hc/en-us/articles/115001136770-Mobile-Workout-Analysis

I’ve reported this as a bug - and I really really hope that it’s not an intentional “new feature”…

Last edited:

rbart

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2013
France

What do you think?
That's one of the reasons I have made YouRace (for my own usage first) ...
I wanted a an app that looks like Apple one, keep the simplicity, but add some important missing features.
Now Apple app has improved a lot since watchOS 9, but it still miss some features.

Last edited:

NME42

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 15, 2019
So as watchOS 10 is released in an hour, when will we see the first apps to create custom workouts on the iPhone and sync to the watch?

Reactions: Jana_CZ and xDKP

NME42

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 15, 2019
Did my first interval workout with watchOS 10. No GPS issues or such.

One thing I noted positively: the taptic (vibration) feedback when a new interval starts is lots better.

But: are the sounds gone when intervals start? Checked during the run that sounds on my AW are on, but I only got taptic feedback, no ding.

xDKP

macrumors 68020
Feb 27, 2011
Denmark
Did my first interval workout with watchOS 10. No GPS issues or such.

One thing I noted positively: the taptic (vibration) feedback when a new interval starts is lots better.

But: are the sounds gone when intervals start? Checked during the run that sounds on my AW are on, but I only got taptic feedback, no ding.
I still have a voice saying "Last rest 2 minutes - now: Training 1.000 meters" for example.

Maybe just installed it doesn't have the audio files yet?

NME42

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 15, 2019
I still have a voice saying "Last rest 2 minutes - now: Training 1.000 meters" for example.

Maybe just installed it doesn't have the audio files yet?

I never had voice activated. Just "ding"-tones.

NME42

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 15, 2019

rbart

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2013
France
I can probably add this to YouRace but I think YouRace users chose my app because Apple one has less features…
So it’s not really my top priority

Danny1972

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2023
Belgium
I can probably add this to YouRace but I think YouRace users chose my app because Apple one has less features…
So it’s not really my top priority
true, it's better to focus on the interval manage plans that are now in the app, that's a great tool too use. And keep the basicness of the app, that's what i like the most.

NME42

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 15, 2019
Second custom running workout with watchOS 10. No GPS dropouts or quirks. Had LTE disabled.

Noticed today a quite big battery dran while running. Started with 78% battery, ended with 30% on a 1:15h run. Typical usage so far on watchOS 9: about 20% per hour. Today doubled the consumption. Did not see this drain yesterday.

eeek5127

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2014
I’ve ran the same 5K 148 times in my neighborhood in the last 3 years. I know exactly where each mile, half way, and the end is. I’ve had 3 Apple Watches and countless software updates in that timespan. When I started running in June 2020, I calibrated my watch and haven’t had to do it again since. I use the native apple
Running app and import into Strava. I am currently running with an Ultra. I updated my watch yesterday- not to the beta, but to the final release. Today my 3.1 mile run was recorded as 2.86.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.