Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jana_CZ

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2019
Strava often caused confusion with their handling of elapsed and moving time.
The odd thing is that the moving and elapsed time are displayed correctly in the Strava activity. So Strava “knows” that certain parts are pauses. Except, it started counting the idle time in the splits pace out of the blue… so I’m wondering whether there’s a change in the data that Apple produces, or in the way how Strava interprets the data.

NME42

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 15, 2019
The odd thing is that the moving and elapsed time are displayed correctly in the Strava activity. So Strava “knows” that certain parts are pauses. Except, it started counting the idle time in the splits pace out of the blue… so I’m wondering whether there’s a change in the data that Apple produces, or in the way how Strava interprets the data.
Unlikely on the Apple side.

Edit: Checked my run last Sunday. I had a long pause in there. Strava messes up moving time.

NME42

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 15, 2019
So just to be able to compare - how do you import your runs to Strava - via RunGap?

No, indirectly over Garmin Connect. I sync with RunGap from Apple Health to GC and there everything is forwarded to Strava.

Reactions: Jana_CZ

cubodado

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2022
Torino

Tempo now lets you add custom scheduled workouts to the Apple Watch Workout app:​

Sadly with a subscription.
The subscription here in Italy is 23€/year, much more than 10$. Final Surge lets you do it for free (on the PC/Mac site then sync with Apple Watch on the app), it has some learning curve though I find.

Reactions: johnl1275 and NME42

NME42

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 15, 2019
The subscription here in Italy is 23€/year, much more than 10$. Final Surge lets you do it for free (on the PC/Mac site then sync with Apple Watch on the app), it has some learning curve though I find.
Thanks. Today I read another post where someone mentioned syncing workouts from FinalSurge to the Apple Training app. Will try this out, sounds great!

@cubodado : tried it, looks great. First, hard to orient where to find the features, but works like a charm. Thanks!
Great to plan a week ahead and have these trainings synced to the watch.

Last edited:
Reactions: cubodado

Psdn

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2021
Try watchletic - brilliant app and www. You can program om web, scan vide, and voila its om your Watch.

NME42

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 15, 2019
Try watchletic - brilliant app and www. You can program om web, scan vide, and voila its om your Watch.
Are the workouts available in the Apple Training app or is this still a separate app on the watch?

NME42

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 15, 2019
Was using FinalSurge now for my first interval workout. Works great, like it.
Does even support nested intervals.

The only thing I dislike is the user interface in the web browser. Sometimes really confusing and not intuitive. But ok, it is for free.

Reactions: cubodado and xDKP

Jana_CZ

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2019
Okay so there’s a change either in Strava or on Apple’s side: with the auto-pause ON, the idle time now shows in the splits as if it was moving time… not sure if I like this. 🤔

Can anyone confirm that you observe the same?

View attachment 2292573 View attachment 2292574

Just an update - it’s a bug (not a feature, luckily) and it’s going to be fixed. Response from Strava Support:

This is a known issue specifically related to newer Apple Watch devices. Basically, we had them added into our device database but there was a separate database they needed to be added to which allows proper parsing of activity data in the FIT files Apple sends us.
We hope to have this resolved as soon as possible.

Reactions: NME42 and xDKP

NME42

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 15, 2019
What really is a nice feature of Final Surge is to base your structured workouts on pace zones or % of your threshold pace. So you can create more or less generic workouts (e.g. warmup, 10x400m at 5k pace, cooldown) and then define what your 5k pace is. Whenever you adapt your 5k pace, the workout is updated accordingly when you sync it to your watch. One can build up a good library of workouts then.

Reactions: xDKP

NME42

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 15, 2019
it is only $10 a year (in US dollars) and I find it worth every penny even before this addition. I am super excited about this addition.

John, when you schedule workouts with Tempo, I guess you see them as a separate category in Apple Training, right?
Is the scheduling working fine for you?

Asking because when I schedule workouts in FinalSurge through their calendar, they do get synced to the watch but today's workout is not being displayed. Only when I press "show more" there are all workouts for the next 7 days. Also says then "Scheduled for today" and brings up the workout. But not on the first screen.

@cubodado is this the case for you too?

johnl1275

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2007
John, when you schedule workouts with Tempo, I guess you see them as a separate category in Apple Training, right?
Is the scheduling working fine for you?

Asking because when I schedule workouts in FinalSurge through their calendar, they do get synced to the watch but today's workout is not being displayed. Only when I press "show more" there are all workouts for the next 7 days. Also says then "Scheduled for today" and brings up the workout. But not on the first screen.

@cubodado is this the case for you too?
Yes. When you schedule a workout there is a new section of workouts called "Tempo" and then you start the workouts from there. If it is before the workout is scheduled you won't see it unless you hit "view more". Once you go to view more you can click into the workout and scroll to the bottom and then you can start the workout earlier than the day you scheduled it for.

But if you are in Tempo and you create a workout and just add it to the watch without scheduling it, it will show up within the "Outdoor Run" area just the same as if you had created the workout directly from your watch.

Reactions: NME42

NME42

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 15, 2019
Yes. When you schedule a workout there is a new section of workouts called "Tempo" and then you start the workouts from there. If it is before the workout is scheduled you won't see it unless you hit "view more". Once you go to view more you can click into the workout and scroll to the bottom and then you can start the workout earlier than the day you scheduled it for.

When you have scheduled a workout for today, does this "Tempo"-section say so directly or do you always have to "show more" (like I have to do for Final Surge)?

DJTaurus

macrumors 68000
Jan 31, 2012
What does it do? Googled it and did not find it.
It’s the main pre installed app which has the coach feature :)

johnl1275

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2007
When you have scheduled a workout for today, does this "Tempo"-section say so directly or do you always have to "show more" (like I have to do for Final Surge)?
So if you have a workout scheduled for today it looks like this

1697747141394.jpeg

It will show Tempo with the name of the workout, in this case called "Test for Today". At this point you can just click it and it will start. Or if you click the three dots you can get to your other scheduled workouts.

If you do not have a workout scheduled for the day it will say "no workout" like this

1697747302213.jpeg

From here you can click it to see what other workouts you currently have schedule.

NME42

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 15, 2019
So how is running with watchOS 10 so far for you?

I am perfectly happy with the new addition to schedule workouts with FinalSurge. I read that TrainingPeaks can sync also now, but have not tested it yet.

No GPS errors for me anymore on custom workouts.
Only thing that is slightly annoying for me is that the lap/interval beeps are gone when headphones are connected. Strangely, the bike workout still has beeps.

Reactions: xDKP

xDKP

macrumors 68020
Feb 27, 2011
Denmark
So how is running with watchOS 10 so far for you?

I am perfectly happy with the new addition to schedule workouts with FinalSurge. I read that TrainingPeaks can sync also now, but have not tested it yet.

No GPS errors for me anymore on custom workouts.
Only thing that is slightly annoying for me is that the lap/interval beeps are gone when headphones are connected. Strangely, the bike workout still has beeps.

Haven't tried out FinalSurge yet - had "Off Season" with easy shorter runs for October before diving into the next Marathon Prep. from November to the spring. Need to give it a go!

Reactions: NME42

NME42

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 15, 2019
Need to give it a go!

I am currently following a 12 week training plan for a 10k race and the combination of Final Surge/Apple Training App/Runalyze is really good.
User Interface of Final Surge is sometimes meh, but once used to it, ok.
Have not bought a training plan (too expensive for me) but building my library alone based on a plan from a Book. Works great.

BullHorn

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2023
I'm driven insane every time I use the Workouts app because there's no iOS version and my AirPods go insane, unable to figure out how to play my Music and the Workouts notifications at the same time.

iOS 17.2 beta 2 seems to have completely broken HR tracking too, the Watch only records about 30% of the HR measurements throughout a run.

NME42

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 15, 2019
I'm driven insane every time I use the Workouts app because there's no iOS version and my AirPods go insane, unable to figure out how to play my Music and the Workouts notifications at the same time.

So you are playing music on your iPhone and doing a workout on your watch? Did this combination ever play notifications from both sources?

iOS 17.2 beta 2 seems to have completely broken HR tracking too, the Watch only records about 30% of the HR measurements throughout a run.

Sounds bad. Did you file an error with Feedback Assistant on this?

rbart

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2013
France
For the HR tracking, it's a very old issue.
Sometimes HR tracking takes a lot of time to start. It's not new with beta 2. I have always seen this on watchOS since my Series 2.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.