Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cubodado

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2022
Torino
Can’t find a different way to show it… the collage is already a suggestion to me, thanks.

What I do is:
1) Prepare on my Mac the exercise with FinalSurge site.
2) push it to Apple Watch with the Final Surge app on the phone
3) run
4) export the results on a .FIT file with Healthfit on my iPhone on a iCloud directory.
5) import the results in Garmin Connect site on my Mac so my trainer should see the details. But I am just starting now to do it and still waiting for feedback.

I know that steps 4-5 can be merged in a faster one with RunGap with a 10€ yearly Swag Bag. But I like Healthfit statistics too, even if they don’t present a viable way to show intervals in screenshots. The developer is very nice and fast in answering maybe we can ask him if it is possible to have as a feature export in .csv, .jpeg or .pdf of interval details (maybe there is already with subscription but I didn’t see it in the menus). It’s just watchOS 10 that allows correct identification of intervals to external apps, so this aspect is quite new.

I don’t think the Connect app allows import of files, the site on the phone should. Elevation data seems very exaggerated after the import.

Edit: saw that FinalSurge app allows a view of intervals with more info on one screen better suited for screenshots just bad it’s not easy to recognise exercise from recovery intervals (had some trouble with HR recording last time)

IMG_3592.png

Last edited:

xDKP

macrumors 68020
Feb 27, 2011
Denmark
Wow I had a VERY weird and bad experience with my Ultra running yesterday. I was going for a 3K warmup and 8 x 1.000 meter intervals + 1 minute cool down between (killer) and a 3K cool down.

I have around 3K on the spot to my local track and we had rain so thought it would be better than getting too dirty on the trails.

With newest track mode (massive fan) I selected lane 2, so I could overtake the other runners without problems and they could overtake me on cool down if needed.

In the beginning of split 7 the countdown showing how much I had remaining in the interval froze with around 850 meters left in the split - and kept frozen and the interval lap time just kept getting higher and higher - never seen it before. After racing another lap and it didn't "catch up" I ended my workout completely and thought I would start a new cool down run for my run home (usually just part of the same custom run).

The new run would not count any meters at all as well!? Never seen this. Had to stand there in the rain and reboot the watch and start a new run to make it work.

Anyone tried the same?

Jana_CZ

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2019
kept frozen and the interval lap time just kept getting higher and higher
This sounds a bit like the gps glitch that was messing the runs last year - i.e. the distance was “frozen” as if you weren’t moving, and the displayed pace would be some slow nonsense… but usually did catch up after a while. At some point (some time in summer?) they fixed it and I haven’t had that issue since…

Perhaps worth reporting to Apple as a bug.

Reactions: xDKP and NME42

Jana_CZ

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2019
… with RunGap with a 10€ yearly Swag Bag. But I like Healthfit statistics too, even if they don’t present a viable way to show intervals in screenshots. The developer is very nice and fast in answering maybe we can ask him if it is possible to have as a feature export in .csv, .jpeg or .pdf of interval details (maybe there is already with subscription but I didn’t see it in the menus).

It’s not there - there’s a non-customisable laps/splits view but only showing lap nr, distance, duration, pace and energy, and won’t distinguish work/recovery laps. Adding the ability to choose columns (to include e.g. running power or HR, or for example stride length), mark the type of split, and possibly export, that would be super useful!

I don’t think the Connect app allows import of files, the site on the phone should.
I actually use the RunGap app for this - it seems much better than importing individual files (which resulted in messed up HR graph), but it’s part of the paid subscription too… the way garmin connect then displays the overview is quite similar to your screenshot - and that’s actually why I’m trying to find a way to display all the details in an overview 😃 because I’m using the garmin connect to share my running data with a coach, and it’s helpful to see everything at a glance…

Reactions: cubodado

cubodado

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2022
Torino
HR in imported .fit files in Garmin seems ok, what it really misses by far is elevation.

I have another question: sometimes I want to prepare an exercise with long splits (something like running in progression by steps of 4km).
I wouldn’t mind to see kilometric splits while running, but it seems that if I prepare a workout I just see the splits of the workout. Did I miss an option? I know there are workarounds (e.g. divide intervals in kilometric intervals or use another running app like Intervals Pro or Workoutdoors or others) , just curious to know if I can obtain it in the standard app. I would like a pace (or heartbeat if not both) warning while running to understand if I’m in line with the projected training or race and a kilometric pace feedback too.

Last edited:

xDKP

macrumors 68020
Feb 27, 2011
Denmark
IMG_4116.png

This sounds a bit like the gps glitch that was messing the runs last year - i.e. the distance was “frozen” as if you weren’t moving, and the displayed pace would be some slow nonsense… but usually did catch up after a while. At some point (some time in summer?) they fixed it and I haven’t had that issue since…

Perhaps worth reporting to Apple as a bug.

Yeah unfortunately those GPS glitches have returned the last couple of long runs I’ve had. No custom run or anything but still black holes in the GPS. Here my third lap of a lake just had a small gap.

The one on track was different though - never seen before and never got back. Even the new run started after stopping the one I was in, didn’t measure any distance before rebooting the watch. Very odd

Have reported it

Reactions: NME42

NME42

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 15, 2019
Yeah unfortunately those GPS glitches have returned the last couple of long runs I’ve had. No custom run or anything but still black holes in the GPS. Here my third lap of a lake just had a small gap.

Really strange. Can you nail it down to something specific that changed in the last time? watchOS 10.3.1 or 10.3? Installed something other?

I had two or three runs with these glitches when watchOS 10 was released, some of you had them with the 10 betas. Never had them again since.

NME42

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 15, 2019
I wouldn’t mind to see kilometric splits while running, but it seems that if I prepare a workout I just see the splits of the workout. Did I miss an option?

I do not fully understand, what you want to achieve. What do you mean with "if I prepare a workout I just see the splits"? Can you explain again?

When I do long intervals I do exactly what you suggested: split it in smaller chunks. E.g. instead of 4km I do an interval 4x1km and so forth.

cubodado

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2022
Torino
I do not fully understand, what you want to achieve. What do you mean with "if I prepare a workout I just see the splits"? Can you explain again?

When I do long intervals I do exactly what you suggested: split it in smaller chunks. E.g. instead of 4km I do an interval 4x1km and so forth.
That’s what I’ll do for longer intervals, I started running intervals with Intervals Pro (didn’t know Workoutdoors yet and it was 2021) and it usually added Km splits to interval splits (customizable), sometimes it is useful sometimes not.

xDKP

macrumors 68020
Feb 27, 2011
Denmark
Really strange. Can you nail it down to something specific that changed in the last time? watchOS 10.3.1 or 10.3? Installed something other?

I had two or three runs with these glitches when watchOS 10 was released, some of you had them with the 10 betas. Never had them again since.

Yeah really weird - For the 2-3 runs I have spotted it, it has been because I have had a progressive pace through my long run and as you know, when picking up the pace you kind of want to know how it's going to I look a lot more at the pace.

Lets say I had the same 25K but steady pace all the way - I might look a lot less on the watch and maybe not spot it (it's like 50-70 meters sometimes so the split will be slow).

So maybe you've had it, but not noticed it?

I can 10.3 and 10.3.1 has been the two softwares where this has happened - so hopefully it will be fixed. Has been reported to Apple

quarq

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2011
Hello

Are there any apps or methods by which my runs can be uploaded to FinalSurge without having to open an app on my iPhone ? Currently, unless I open say HealthFit, HealthFit does not upload to FinalSurge. Looks to be the same with the FinalSurge app itself. I suspect the watch does not push to the phone, but the phone pulls from the watch. Am I mistaken ? Thanks

NME42

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 15, 2019
Are there any apps or methods by which my runs can be uploaded to FinalSurge without having to open an app on my iPhone ?
Rungap has an auto sharing feature. But I suppose you still have to open the app. Background tasks in iOS are not reliable.

quarq

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2011
To answer my own question, if you use the Apple Workout app, the FinalSurge app will upload without having to open the FinalSurge app on the iPhone.

NME42

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 15, 2019
Anyway, I checked this thread rather to see if anyone else here experienced the “AW went crazy” bug,
watchOS 10.4 was just released with a bug fix for the phantom press problem.

Reactions: xDKP

NME42

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 15, 2019
Noticed in watchOS 10.4 that GPS locks with my Ultra 2 sometimes take quite a bit longer (10 instead of 2 seconds) than before when doing precision start.

Anyone else noticed too?

stewa

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2010
Does anybody else see really bad "Current Pace" and pace graph values?

I have an Ultra and if I run about 6mins/km I see about 12mins/km on the display for current pace. Running 1km pace and average pace are ok.
1712751866880.png

This graph is typical. It's says I've run 6min11sec/km on average with a tempo between 14'08''-10'40''/km. So the average pace is faster than the fastest pace, 10'30''/km, which of course is impossible.

Feb 4th was the last time I saw a correct looking graph. Then I wasn't able to run until Mar 3rd. On that date and every run after, the pace graph is wrong like this. So this might be a bug introduced with Watch OS 10.3.1, but it's exclusive to the Ultra in that case since I've tested with my wife's series 9, which is fine.
I've also tried a full restore of the watch and that didn't help.

So I'm thinking
1) There's a bug with 10.3.1 and 10.4 that affects only the Ultra in which case more people should see this
2) Since average pace typically is computed from GPS only and instant pace is fused from multiple sources like GPS and accelerometers some sensor have broken down and I should get my watch replaced

Attachments

• IMG_3E84FD4E3676-1.jpeg
    IMG_3E84FD4E3676-1.jpeg
    186.4 KB · Views: 19

NME42

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 15, 2019
So I'm thinking
1) There's a bug with 10.3.1 and 10.4 that affects only the Ultra in which case more people should see this

No problem here with watchOS 10.4 and Ultra 2.

I have no idea what could be the issue.

NME42

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 15, 2019
I’m thinking that should be covered by resetting the whole watch, but worth a shot. Thanks!
Could be, but not necessarely. Good luck!
Maybe also try another running app if it shows the same symptoms.

NME42

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 15, 2019
Has anyone tried Race Routes recently? Didn't use it since a while and wanted to run a route tomorrow that I have run several times already and my list of routes is really messy.

Todays route was actually updated but all the other routes in the list were updated in 2023 with one exception that was updated beginning of March this year (which is also false as I ran this route last week).

Could you have a look into your (filtered) list if the routes are ok on your watch?

cubodado

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2022
Torino
I use the 1km average for pace and it’s quite precise. Or 1km intervals if I need to vary rhythm and they usually stabilise after 400m. What happened to me is that with a Strava update I lost saving the course from Training app authorization. Obviously on a race when I had a PB pace…

stewa

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2010
Could be, but not necessarely. Good luck!
Maybe also try another running app if it shows the same symptoms.
The suggested calibration reset didn't work. It looks like the figures might be a bit closer to reality now, but still way off. (More around figures so one might suspect a miles vs km bug , rather than a factor 2 off I saw earlier).
WOD shows the same error.
With current pace not working it's hard to keep pace at shorter intervals and it also seems that Training Peaks calculates a very low TSS which makes TP unusable to plan training load.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.