Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NME42

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 15, 2019
The suggested calibration reset didn't work. It looks like the figures might be a bit closer to reality now, but still way off.

Not sure how much voodoo is in this calibration stuff. But after a reset I would think it needs at least one calibration run to produce some reasonable values.

Still, very strange behavior of your watch.

xDKP

macrumors 68020
Feb 27, 2011
Denmark
Have any of you guys tried the workout app crashed? Have tried it a couple of times, latest today when on my longest run of the build.

34 km with three 7K speed sessions in - after the second I paused the run, responded to a text via Siri and changed music and returned to workout app. It showed a load logo like when booting the app and current run (was around 26K in) was just gone. Could start a new workout.

Later it showed up with the 26K run as a finished run and could just start a new but that is just super frustrating

• Angry
Reactions: cubodado

stewa

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2010
Not sure how much voodoo is in this calibration stuff. But after a reset I would think it needs at least one calibration run to produce some reasonable values.

Still, very strange behavior of your watch.
I did several runs. It's now sent away for inspection after a visit to an Apple Store. Their diagnostic tools couldn't find anything. Let's see what happens. Worst case it's some garbage in my phone that gets synched over so it's unfixable without erasing my phone too.

Reactions: NME42

cubodado

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2022
Torino
Sunday I did my first half marathon with my Apple Watch.
Prepared with Final Surge all the predicted splits, I could keep up with them just for 12km then my performance decreased. What I noticed is that the watch recorded a time of 1:49:13 as Half Marathon record while my total was around 1:56:00 for 21,11 km. There was almost 2km of tunnel but the distance precision wasn’t seriously affected even if GPS didn’t work. Maybe the record didn’t count the time passed with no GPS signal but the distance yes, it’s strange. Surprised by the precision of kilometric splits.
A little high battery consumption, started with 80% capacity left checked battery around 1h30 after the end of the race and it was 25%. Sometimes I used cellular, around 30 minutes, not in the race, AW6 battery 94% a bit worried for battery life on a marathon by the end of the year.

Strava export didn’t work well, I had a minute split in 2:26 and a lower overall time, had to delete and sync with Healthfit for correct results, something I have to do often when I press pause, I did for the first time without pause.

Attachments

• IMG_3876.png
    IMG_3876.png
    417.6 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_3877.png
    IMG_3877.png
    336.1 KB · Views: 20

xDKP

macrumors 68020
Feb 27, 2011
Denmark
Sunday I did my first half marathon with my Apple Watch.
Prepared with Final Surge all the predicted splits, I could keep up with them just for 12km then my performance decreased. What I noticed is that the watch recorded a time of 1:49:13 as Half Marathon record while my total was around 1:56:00 for 21,11 km. There was almost 2km of tunnel but the distance precision wasn’t seriously affected even if GPS didn’t work. Maybe the record didn’t count the time passed with no GPS signal but the distance yes, it’s strange. Surprised by the precision of kilometric splits.
A little high battery consumption, started with 80% capacity left checked battery around 1h30 after the end of the race and it was 25%. Sometimes I used cellular, around 30 minutes, not in the race, AW6 battery 94% a bit worried for battery life on a marathon by the end of the year.

Strava export didn’t work well, I had a minute split in 2:26 and a lower overall time, had to delete and sync with Healthfit for correct results, something I have to do often when I press pause, I did for the first time without pause.
Well done - great running!

The half and marathon medals are screwed up in Apple Fitness and has been for years. I suspect it shows the time for 20 and 40K and not 42.2 and 21.1. My marathon medal is "02.52.59" and the full time was 02.58.47 so almost 6 minutes off?

The same with my half medal. That is written as 01.23.50 and my best half is around 01.27/28ish so again 4 minutes off... Have reported it as an error for years with no solving of an issue that should be pretty simple to solve. My 5K and 10K medals are spot on.

Reactions: cubodado

NME42

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 15, 2019
The medal stuff especially and the Apple Fitness award system (eg monthly challenges) in general really need to be reworked dramatically.

rbart

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2013
France
It's just a gadget ...
Who cares about this kind of "rewards" ?
I think it's not designed for people who run "seriously" with an Apple Watch.
It's more for people who rarely train

Last edited:

NME42

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 15, 2019
It's just a gadget ...
Who cares about this knife of "rewards" ?

At the moment this is true. But why shouldn‘t it be fun for people who do more sports too?

For instance I had much fun doing a tiles hunt last year on my long runs. Apple could do a lot more in this area.
The minimum would be to have different texts to reply when a friend finishes a workout. 🤣

xDKP

macrumors 68020
Feb 27, 2011
Denmark
It's just a gadget ...
Who cares about this kind of "rewards" ?
Rewards for completing a 5K or 10K etc. should be able to be removed - I hate it gives me a 10K "reward" when running a 20K. But the gold medals for your personal PR times should be spot on - serious runners really want to keep track of those. But Strava keeps track for me, but Apple should be able to do that as well.

rbart

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2013
France
Rewards for completing a 5K or 10K etc. should be able to be removed - I hate it gives me a 10K "reward" when running a 20K. But the gold medals for your personal PR times should be spot on - serious runners really want to keep track of those. But Strava keeps track for me, but Apple should be able to do that as well.
Apple rewards only « work » with Apple built in app.
It’s useless for all people who use something else.

Reactions: cubodado and NME42

xDKP

macrumors 68020
Feb 27, 2011
Denmark
Apple rewards only « work » with Apple built in app.
It’s useless for all people who use something else.
I also always use the build in app and import the runs to Strava after I'm finished. I would still like my PRs to be shown in the Apple app correctly even though Strava keeps track

rbart

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2013
France
Well ...
You know, Apple is a small company and customers are more tolerant with them than with an independent developer who sells an app for 5$ ...
Apple rewards and fitness app on the iPhone are just a toy for very casual "athletes" who don't care about their PB but just want to fill the circles to get a badge.

Last edited:

NME42

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 15, 2019
Apple rewards and fitness app on the iPhone are just a toy for very casual "athletes" who don't care about their PB but just want to fill the circles to get a badge.

With all the features that were delivered in watchOS 9/10 I do not agree about the fitness app.
There might be apps out there that do certain things better, but overall the Apple app is quite good for casual and also advanced athletes.

rbart

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2013
France
With all the features that were delivered in watchOS 9/10 I do not agree about the fitness app.
There might be apps out there that do certain things better, but overall the Apple app is quite good for casual and also advanced athletes.
The watch app is really better than it was
My concern is about the fitness app on the iphone

Reactions: cubodado and NME42

NME42

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 15, 2019
The watch app is really better than it was
My concern is about the fitness app on the iphone

Ok, I understand and agree. The Fitness app is really very basic and not useful.

Guess Apple is there in a dilemma, as often. If they offer advanced functionality, app developers complain that Apple is grabbing market share from them and misuses their strategic advantage. If they do not offer advanced functionality, (some) customers complain about the very basic features. No idea how this can be resolved.

I am using runalyze as my platform to analyze all my trainings from various source (fed into it with RunGap) and I am perfectly happy. But would agree that having to have to additional apps to sync and analyze is not really easy for everybody.

If you mean the Fitness+ app and content, this is really a big disappointment after so many years now. Though I still do rowing workouts every week, this thing has big development potential (training plans, etc.).

cubodado

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2022
Torino
I also always use the build in app and import the runs to Strava after I'm finished. I would still like my PRs to be shown in the Apple app correctly even though Strava keeps track

Do you have correct results if you import to Strava your data directly from fitness app? If I press pause all my partials are nonsense, I sync with Healthfit instead.

PatrickNSF

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
I am using runalyze as my platform to analyze all my trainings from various source (fed into it with RunGap) and I am perfectly happy. But would agree that having to have to additional apps to sync and analyze is not really easy for everybody.
How do you find Runalyze for monitoring training load, effect, etc. compared to Garmin Connect?

I’ve been holding onto a Garmin for these features but I’d really like to simplify down to my AWU 2 and S7. I stopped paying any attention to Garmin recovery metrics (since they’re unreliable) but I like the actual running data analysis.

I haven’t been able to find anything yet that’s comparable. Maybe it’s time to give Runalyze another look?

NME42

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 15, 2019
How do you find Runalyze for monitoring training load, effect, etc. compared to Garmin Connect?

I've been using both in parallel for quite a time and am now solely using runalyze. Not only because I quit using Garmin products, but also because I never trusted Garmin's metrics. In comparison, runalyze was always spot on with predictions and such. Also, the user interface is something I like a lot more. Remember the bad pace charts etc. in Garmin with no real scale options, and such.
My last marathon (2018) was predicted by runalyze on the minute. Garmin's predictions were way off and also had a lot of errors that could have been fixed by simple sanity checks. For instance, I had a determined threshold pace and the race predictor predicted a time that was faster as my threshold pace for the marathon distance. Absurd.

Also, not sure if this is still valid, Garmin did only account workouts recorded with their devices into their metrics (due to license issues). Not good if one is using other devices too, like I do, e.g. Zwift.

Overall: I see no point in using Garmin Connect over runalyze, it is way ahead in terms of analysis features for sports people. Sure it has less social features or route creation, but there are better other tools for that.
The developers are true sports men and are very responsive when one has questions or there is a bug.

Give it a try!

Reactions: xDKP and PatrickNSF

PatrickNSF

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
I've been using both in parallel for quite a time and am now solely using runalyze. Not only because I quit using Garmin products, but also because I never trusted Garmin's metrics. In comparison, runalyze was always spot on with predictions and such. Also, the user interface is something I like a lot more. Remember the bad pace charts etc. in Garmin with no real scale options, and such.
My last marathon (2018) was predicted by runalyze on the minute. Garmin's predictions were way off and also had a lot of errors that could have been fixed by simple sanity checks. For instance, I had a determined threshold pace and the race predictor predicted a time that was faster as my threshold pace for the marathon distance. Absurd.

Also, not sure if this is still valid, Garmin did only account workouts recorded with their devices into their metrics (due to license issues). Not good if one is using other devices too, like I do, e.g. Zwift.

Overall: I see no point in using Garmin Connect over runalyze, it is way ahead in terms of analysis features for sports people. Sure it has less social features or route creation, but there are better other tools for that.
The developers are true sports men and are very responsive when one has questions or there is a bug.

Give it a try!
Thanks. I’m going to import this year’s workouts today and give it a try again.

One of the frustrations is that Garmin Connect will attach a training effect to some imported workouts (like Peloton) but not runs that I record on my Ultra. That’s why I keep a Garmin.

The other thing I want to break away from is all the junk recovery data. I don’t trust it but I still look at it. I’d rather not have any of that in my head.

I’m not training seriously for any races at the moment so this is the perfect time to make a break.

NME42

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 15, 2019
Thanks. I’m going to import this year’s workouts today and give it a try again.

One of the frustrations is that Garmin Connect will attach a training effect to some imported workouts (like Peloton) but not runs that I record on my Ultra. That’s why I keep a Garmin.

The other thing I want to break away from is all the junk recovery data. I don’t trust it but I still look at it. I’d rather not have any of that in my head.

I’m not training seriously for any races at the moment so this is the perfect time to make a break.

Yes, give it a try. It is really worth it.

RunGap tricks Garmin Connect when syncing Apple workouts to believe they came from a Garmin device. Think I read some folk who said that the metrics then do update.

I am using Athlytics now since a while. First, I was really skeptical if this is of use. Now I would say that it is helpful and the reported metrics around recovery and sleep make sense.

d3vp0ll

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2022
NY
I completely ignore the rings and awards, it’s for motivating folks who do it exercise regularly.

I’m currently training for a HM using the Stryd footpod and app. I’ve never trained based on power before, it’s a bit of an adjustment but overall I must say I feel stronger and less fatigued.

I use Athlytic, HealthFit and Stryd for analysis. None of them appear to be that great but as a former Garmin user I’d argue none of the metrics any watch gives you means much.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.