Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FrakeTrain

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 9, 2018
Still on Catalina 10.15.7 SuppUp and just installed Safari 14.0.1 (15610.2.11.51.10) over 14.0 today, and all my .webloc icon previews are blank. That includes desktop icons, folder icons, and Get Info Preview icons. Anyone else?

They used to look like this:

Screen Shot 2020-11-13 at 9.11.25 AM.png

Reactions: Al Gordon (albabe)

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
Ahhhhhh!! It happened to me as well, Mojave here.
I already tried more than one solution but nothing works: terminal, delete cache.db etc
BTW if I get info on any of them, I get a greyed out "Open with" and" Change all"

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-11-14 at 1.16.01 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-11-14 at 1.16.01 PM.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 221
Last edited:

Garfield63

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2020
Same Thing here on Mojave (18G6042) on 2 27" iMacs ... found out that .icns in /Applications/Safari.app/Contents/Resources were missing and copied them over (SIP disabled)
Bildschirmfoto 2020-11-14 um 22.45.32.png

but still the same strange behavior with assigning Apps like KATBEL previously mentioned....

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
Same Thing here on Mojave (18G6042) on 2 27" iMacs ... found out that .icns in /Applications/Safari.app/Contents/Resources were missing and copied them over (SIP disabled)
View attachment 1666940
but still the same strange behavior with assigning Apps like KATBEL previously mentioned....
Sorry, at Apple were a little distracted the other day, just forgot all .icns, maybe their computers slowed down too ?
Great discovery Garfield63!
BTW Safari 14.0 is double the size of Safari 14.01, maybe something else is missing ?

I went back to Safari 14 from a backup and my icons are back but still Safari Get Info options are greyed out

Last edited:

macmoof

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2017
Same here on Mojave after applying the last security update, the incremental OS update and Safari 14.0.1...
Blank webloc icons, and grayed out option in 'info window'
Any ideas how to remedy this?
Thanks_

FrakeTrain

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 9, 2018
Just want to clarify that I had already installed the Catalina 10.15.7 SuppUp on top of Safari 14.0 and it not break the icons. Only after I solely installed the Safari 14.0.1 update did the break occur.

Garfield63

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2020
Yep, - played a Little with Pacifist and the .bom- Files (Bill of Materials from the SW-Updater). Shows up that at first a correct Safari 14.0.1 was istalled with fullbundleupdate.18G6042 and then killed by a crippled Safari14.0.1 ! Check out the Filesizes .
Bildschirmfoto 2020-11-16 um 20.45.24.png

I wonder how this Installer went Through Apple QA ?

amok-san

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2008
Same here after Mojave Security Update 2020-005.
I downloaded the update, disabled SIP and replaced the smaller Safari-file with the bigger one extracted from the update installer, but after that Safari wouldn't function correctly. Back to the crippled one.

Al Gordon (albabe)

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2020
I have the same problem. I can only assume that since all of the icns files are actually missing, then this should be a problem for most everyone, right?

So, two updates in a Row that messed-up things in Mojave.

Mac Pro (Mid 2010)
Mojave 10.14.6
2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 2 GB

Reactions: macmoof and katbel

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
Same here after Mojave Security Update 2020-005.
I downloaded the update, disabled SIP and replaced the smaller Safari-file with the bigger one extracted from the update installer, but after that Safari wouldn't function correctly. Back to the crippled one.
I replaced a full Safari 14 with one I had in a backup. Probably the one in the installer wasn’t a full app, sometimes are just parts that go added to the app in your computer. Like it should have been, being just a 14.0.1 update and not the full version.

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
I replaced a full Safari 14 with one I had in a backup. Probably the one in the installer wasn’t a full app, sometimes are just parts that go added to the app in your computer. Like it should have been, being just a 14.0.1 update and not the full version.
Update: I had to substitute few more system files with the old ones because I lost the active tab visibility.
Doing so I gained tab visibility back beside icons view and
no more pushing to update to Big Sur . Very very satisfied ?
At the time I didn't do the Security Update 2020-006, only supplemental update and safari 14.0.1
I guess now it's the supplemental update that cancel all your efforts to avoid the nagging to upgrade to a new system.

Last edited:

Al Gordon (albabe)

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2020
Latest Apple updates that broke something I own.

Safari 14.0.1
iOS 14.0.1
ipados 14.0.1
apple tv 14.2
and not talking about Nov 12th terrible slowdown ...

Is n.14 bad luck for Apple?!
No it's bad luck for us
Dang< I haven't had any real trouble for years... except...

I messed-up a Hard-drive trying to instal the first APFS Reformat for Mojave... sigh... and because of that, I couldn't get PhotoShop up and running on a new drive because I'd never had a problem with PS over the years and now it wouldn't accept my PW because it was attached to an email I hadn't used in a decade. After a couple days of cussing at the PS Bots who answer their eMail, I finally got someone to help me out... and the only reason that worked out was he was a Comic Fan and recognized my Name... sigh.

Then the Last Security (The 12th you talk about, I think) just slowed Mojave down to a Crawl for a week an a half until Apple FINALLY Fixed it.

This last Update - I even waited a week to install this last Security/Safari Update... figured I hadn't heard beanz so I installed the Two and, Bingo no Safari Icons.

Honestly, didn't anyone at Apple actually test this before they Posted it?

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
Dang< I haven't had any real trouble for years... except...

I messed-up a Hard-drive trying to instal the first APFS Reformat for Mojave... sigh... and because of that, I couldn't get PhotoShop up and running on a new drive because I'd never had a problem with PS over the years and now it wouldn't accept my PW because it was attached to an email I hadn't used in a decade. After a couple days of cussing at the PS Bots who answer their eMail, I finally got someone to help me out... and the only reason that worked out was he was a Comic Fan and recognized my Name... sigh.

Then the Last Security (The 12th you talk about, I think) just slowed Mojave down to a Crawl for a week an a half until Apple FINALLY Fixed it.

This last Update - I even waited a week to install this last Security/Safari Update... figured I hadn't heard beanz so I installed the Two and, Bingo no Safari Icons.

Honestly, didn't anyone at Apple actually test this before they Posted it?
I feel for you !
A friend of mine who worked at Apple told me:
At Apple, Quality is Job 1 (.1 or .2) ?

hashsi99

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2011
Safari (14) was buttery smooth. Updated to this today and now it’s not so smooth and it looks like it’s using a lot of resources. Anyone else?

how long will the next update take?

MacBook Pro 2020 i5 16gb ram.
Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.