Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ed'sMac

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2021
Thank you again FrakeTrain, but no luck! Because I have had problems using Terminal in the past, I followed your alternative instructions for deleting the pertinent .plist file by dragging it to the trash and ensuring that it was indeed removed. Then after restarting, while I saw some changes due to finder settings, the problem with blank white icons for webloc.icns still remains. I checked the new .plist file and I see that it was updated at the exact time I restarted.

What I find so mysterious about my problem is that it was reported by so many users immediately after Catalina was initially released in October 2019, and yet after all the updates to both Catalina and Safari it remains unresolved. "Curiouser and curiouser..."

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
Curious if anyone has Installed the latest Safari over Mojave yet?

Someone did it already and wrote there was a smooth update. I didn't yet. I will post when I have done it

Updated and it's fine no issues whatsoever .

Last edited:
Reactions: Al Gordon (albabe)

Al Gordon (albabe)

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2020
I had a less exciting experience... I kept getting the "?" when it rebooted. I shut it down and tried a cold start about 4 Times and still got the "?."

Then I did a Cold Bold and reset my P-RAM and it was all groovy.

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
I had a less exciting experience... I kept getting the "?" when it rebooted. I shut it down and tried a cold start about 4 Times and still got the "?."

Then I did a Cold Bold and reset my P-RAM and it was all groovy.
Usually the “ ? “ shows when you chose a different disk to boot from
If the external disk is not present you get the ?
Without rebooting just go to
system preferences
and Startup Disk
choose your computer disk.
Next time rebooting will not give you any issue…at least of that kind

Reactions: Al Gordon (albabe)

Al Gordon (albabe)

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2020
Thanx, sir - But it's not exactly that simple with my Hard-Drives.

I have a a few HGST Deskstars and even though they are great Drives, they are Notorious for not being able to do a ReStart - I have to Shutdown and then Start, which is always a problem with Mac Updates.

I am a member in an FB Group: MacProUpgrade, and there are a bunch of Professionals, mostly BBC guys, who are pretty easy to chat with... and my Problem has to do with the Drive's Sleep Abilitities that don't work that well on a 2010 Mac Pro with Mojave.

Last edited:

Ed'sMac

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2021
Since loading Catalina in early 2020 and despite all the updates Apple has released since then, I continue to have the same blank generic webloc icon problem. Has anyone found a solution to this problem? Apple continues to ignore it, despite my numerous efforts to deal with them.

albabe

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2013
I wish I could help you... but I think most of us has a somewhat different problem caused by Apple...

Henry V

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2020
I am on Ventura 13.1 and am just experiencing the same problem with .webloc internet desktop links.
The the files open with Safari, even though my browser is set to Google Chrome.
The 'Get info' is greyed out as 'Safari', and cannot be changed.
Has anyone got a solution yet?
I have not used Safari for years, and mine is version 16.2.

Henry V

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2020
Started a few days ago.
I use Google Chrome exclusively on my Macbook pro and my iMac.
Now, if I click on a desktop link it has started opening in Safari, even though they were all created with Google Chrome.
This is happening on both computers.
My default browser is Google Chrome.
When I use ‘Get info’ ' it says 'Safari (default)' blanked out.
All my links now say this in 'Get info'??
When I unlock the ‘Get info’ the Safari default stays blanked out.
I have not used Safari for years.
On my MacBook ‘get info’ there is know default setting at all.
My bookmarks work in the normal way.
It is just web sites that I have pulled onto my desktop from Goole Chrome browser.

I am on Ventura 13.1

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.