Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Al Gordon (albabe)

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2020
Confirmed. Safari 14.0.3 fixed this issue that started with 14.0.1. Thanks to all who hassled Apple on this.
Yay! I guess I shouldn't be amazed that it took so long... sigh.

Well, I'm gonna give it a shot right now. My Time Machine is all backed-up. I'm worried about my long shut-down times I've been having since this last patch... but I'll just watch TV and chill... I hope.

Al Gordon (albabe)

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2020
Thanks for the heads up but I'm waiting like you to see a brave one
Once Burned.... and all that... but I guess with Apple, it's more like "Burned a Gazillion Times..."

I was hoping to replace my Wife's 2008 Mac Pro and my 2010 Mac Pro with an M1 this Spring... doesn't look like it's happening... pout<

Never Give-Up... Never Surrender!"

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
Are you in Mojave? Or, I guess that doesn't matter since the Problem was Cross-Platform?
I'm in Mojave on both computers: update went smooth on MBP . Going to update this one as well.
The Safari issue was on Catalina as well but no Catalina for me yet.

Update: so far the update didn't cause any issue on the second computer

Last edited:
Reactions: Al Gordon (albabe)

Al Gordon (albabe)

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2020
I'm in Mojave on both computers: update went smooth on MBP . Going to update this one as well.
The Safari issue was on Catalina as well but no Catalina for me yet.

Update: so far the update didn't cause any issue on the second computer
I did the update and after a while it stalled and then told me it could find my Boot Drive (I forgot the actual Wording) then I force quit it and it restarted fine and finished the Install/Update... so, I'm cool. I hope.

I still have a long shut-down... pain in my arse.

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
I did the update and after a while it stalled and then told me it could find my Boot Drive (I forgot the actual Wording) then I force quit it and it restarted fine and finished the Install/Update... so, I'm cool. I hope.
It looks like you have some issues on your disk. Have you run DiskUtility?
Another good program, to check the system/disk is Etrecheck for the long shutdowns.

CheMillan

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles
Still on Catalina 10.15.7 SuppUp and just installed Safari 14.0.1 (15610.2.11.51.10) over 14.0 today, and all my .webloc icon previews are blank. That includes desktop icons, folder icons, and Get Info Preview icons. Anyone else?

They used to look like this:

View attachment 1664441
The annoying webloc icon problem has been fixed in Safari 14.0.3 update. Here is a screenshot of an URL dragged and dropped from the address bar to the Desktop.

Safari 14.0.3 Webloc.png

Ed'sMac

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2021
I first encountered the generic WEBLOC icon problem when I went from Mojave to Catalina. Reported the problem to Apple and got nowhere, after numerous calls and after they escalated the problem to their engineering dept. (That issue was first reported at the end of 2019.) In my last call near the middle of 2020 they told me that the problem would be fixed in a future update. Well, after all the updates that have brought me to ver. 10.15.7 and Safari 14.0.3, I still have the same generic WEBLOC icons on my desktop and in folders.

I had the problem long before the Safari update to 14.0.1 and it wasn't fixed in 14.0.3. Seems like the same symptoms as addressed in this forum, but apparently a different disease. Has anyone had the same experience? Any help would be appreciated.

FrakeTrain

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 9, 2018
I first encountered the generic WEBLOC icon problem when I went from Mojave to Catalina. Reported the problem to Apple and got nowhere, after numerous calls and after they escalated the problem to their engineering dept. (That issue was first reported at the end of 2019.) In my last call near the middle of 2020 they told me that the problem would be fixed in a future update. Well, after all the updates that have brought me to ver. 10.15.7 and Safari 14.0.3, I still have the same generic WEBLOC icons on my desktop and in folders.

I had the problem long before the Safari update to 14.0.1 and it wasn't fixed in 14.0.3. Seems like the same symptoms as addressed in this forum, but apparently a different disease. Has anyone had the same experience? Any help would be appreciated.
When you say "generic" do you mean a blank, white icon? and not the one posted in my original post? If so, you do have a different problem than us in this thread, as this issue was introduced with Safari 14.0.1 and was fixed with Safari 14.0.3 update. The only suggestion I can make is OnyX for Catalina. It is a free app and I have used it for years with excellent results. Use at your own risk (don't you dare blame me if it bricks your rig!!) One of the Maintenance options is to rebuild the "Launch Services database", which per their help page states:

"You can Rebuild Launch Services to correct miscellaneous issues: duplicated display or appearance of deleted applications in the shortcut menu's Open With command, incorrect icons for certain files and folders, or opening of the wrong application upon double-clicking a document."

As with all 3rd party programs like this, definitely make a backup before use. Good luck!

Ed'sMac

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2021
When you say "generic" do you mean a blank, white icon? and not the one posted in my original post? If so, you do have a different problem than us in this thread, as this issue was introduced with Safari 14.0.1 and was fixed with Safari 14.0.3 update. The only suggestion I can make is OnyX for Catalina. It is a free app and I have used it for years with excellent results. Use at your own risk (don't you dare blame me if it bricks your rig!!) One of the Maintenance options is to rebuild the "Launch Services database", which per their help page states:

"You can Rebuild Launch Services to correct miscellaneous issues: duplicated display or appearance of deleted applications in the shortcut menu's Open With command, incorrect icons for certain files and folders, or opening of the wrong application upon double-clicking a document."

As with all 3rd party programs like this, definitely make a backup before use. Good luck!
Thank you FrakeTrain for your timely reply. By "generic" I do mean blank white. Sorry for the confusion.
Shortly after I became aware of the problem I did run OnyX to rebuild launch services. Unfortunately,
it did not help. From what I've learned from my searches, many people had the same problem after updating to Catalina. It's hard to believe that after all this time, Apple has not come out with an update that gets rid of this problem. I'm reluctant to go to Big Sur for fear that I'll only run into other problems which are more severe than this one, which is really only cosmetic. I guess I'll keep hoping that the next Safari update will fix the problem once and for all.

FrakeTrain

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 9, 2018
As we discovered in this thread, after 14.0.1 the actual .icns files inside the Safari Package Contents were missing completely. So it was impossible for the icons to draw. After 14.0.3 numerous .icns files appeared back inside the Safari app Package Contents under the Resources folder, especially the webloc.icns file that was needed to draw the proper icon on your desktop (and inside folders) when you dragged a website location from the Safari search bar. If you open your Safari app Package Contents and those files are there, it is most likely not a Safari issue, but a Finder/macOS issue. Sorry I could not be of further help. Anyone else?

Ed'sMac

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2021
Thanks again FarkeTrain. I checked the Resources folder for Safari 14.0.3 and I do see a file called webloc.icns and other .icns files. So I have to agree with your conclusion that the problem is probably not with Safari. Surely someone out there must have solved this mystery. Fortunately, the blank white iocns I've been living with are functional, in that when I double click one, it does open the intended web page. That's why I said the problem seems to be strictly cosmetic.

FrakeTrain

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 9, 2018
Thanks again FarkeTrain. I checked the Resources folder for Safari 14.0.3 and I do see a file called webloc.icns and other .icns files. So I have to agree with your conclusion that the problem is probably not with Safari. Surely someone out there must have solved this mystery. Fortunately, the blank white iocns I've been living with are functional, in that when I double click one, it does open the intended web page. That's why I said the problem seems to be strictly cosmetic.
One more question for you. When you do a Get Info on one of those blank .webloc files, what icon are you seeing in the upper left hand corner and what icon are you seeing in the Preview? You should see the standard WEBLOC icon in both places?

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
One more question for you. When you do a Get Info on one of those blank .webloc files, what icon are you seeing in the upper left hand corner and what icon are you seeing in the Preview? You should see the standard WEBLOC icon in both places?
Yes, you should see the same WEBLOC icon in both places. After the last update this is what we all should see.
In Mojave works, I hope for you guys too

FrakeTrain

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 9, 2018
Yes, you should see the same WEBLOC icon in both places. After the last update this is what we all should see.
I should clarify, that was only a question/reply for Ed'sMac. Mine is fixed since the 14.0.3 update. But as we know, it works because Apple decided to place the .icns files back in the app Package that were removed in .1 and .2. Ed'sMac has a different issue that started happening after he updated from Mojave to Cat. I have a few more suggestions for him when he answers that question...

FrakeTrain

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 9, 2018
Sorry for the confusion katbel. I should have worded that last question differently, ie: "Are you seeing the standard WEBLOC icon in both places?" or statement: "You should see the standard WEBLOC icon in both places."

Ed'sMac

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2021
When I Get Info on a blank white WEBLOC icon on my desktop, I see blank white icons in the upper left and in Preview. This has been the case since I "upgraded" to Catalina from Mojave over a year ago and I've been working to solve this problem ever since (what a lousy way to spend spare time.)

Since I have people trying to help me now, I have a new piece of information that I just uncovered, which may change the complexion of everything:

I am the sole user of my computer. I introduced an additional fake user and restarted under that name. Lo and behold, any WEBLOC icons show as they should and are functional. When I return to myself as user, nothing has changed. This suggests to me that there is something wrong in my profile that is leading to the icon problem. Now, I'm looking for new ideas.

FrakeTrain

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 9, 2018
When I Get Info on a blank white WEBLOC icon on my desktop, I see blank white icons in the upper left and in Preview. This has been the case since I "upgraded" to Catalina from Mojave over a year ago and I've been working to solve this problem ever since (what a lousy way to spend spare time.)

Since I have people trying to help me now, I have a new piece of information that I just uncovered, which may change the complexion of everything:

I am the sole user of my computer. I introduced an additional fake user and restarted under that name. Lo and behold, any WEBLOC icons show as they should and are functional. When I return to myself as user, nothing has changed. This suggests to me that there is something wrong in my profile that is leading to the icon problem. Now, I'm looking for new ideas.
Yes, if it does not happen in a TEST user account then it usually means that the problem lies within your User/Library (aka ~/Library).

I had some issues with Safari related Finder freezing a few months back and deleting the Finder prefs file did the trick. Here is the Terminal command: (first locate the file to make sure it is there)

defaults delete ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist

make sure it disappears, then do a restart (or relaunch the Finder through Force Quit). You will lose a few finder settings. You should be able to also drag this file to the trash, but I have had bad luck with that for library files, so I use the Terminal to delete. After this, check to make sure the file was recreated in that location.

To be ultra safe, I would find this file under ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist and drag a copy to your desktop in case this fouls you up, but it shouldn't. You used to be able to delete the contents of the whole user prefs folder, but now it is not advisable.

Here are a couple links you can try, one describes the method above without the Terminal command.

https://macreports.com/mac-displaying-wrong-generic-document-icons-for-files-folders-fix/

https://www.jgoode.com/easy-fix-for-mac-finder-preview-thumbnails-not-displaying/

Good luck and make sure you backup before you try any of this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.