Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zeus423

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2020
Mt. Olympus
Here I thought I messed something up when the webloc previews all turned blank and have spent the past two days running Disk Utility, various other disk tools, and finally reinstalling Mojave! It wasn't me after all.

Reactions: Al Gordon (albabe)

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
Here I thought I messed something up when the webloc previews all turned blank and have spent the past two days running Disk Utility, various other disk tools, and finally reinstalling Mojave! It wasn't me after all.
You are not the only one going crazy and trying everything possible: we are living in a new Apple reality indeed.
From now on I will look for other reasons on the web before thinking something is wrong on my side.?

Garfield63

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2020
Security Update 2020-006 Mojave is now out at https://support.apple.com/downloads it contains a complete Version of Safari 14.0.1 .... just Install it over - if everything runs correct you will have Your Icons back...

Worked at least for me.... Did a System Reinstall and went the whole Updateprocess trough ...

Bildschirmfoto 2020-11-19 um 10.31.30.png

everything Ok .. No Safari Update 14.0.1....
Bildschirmfoto 2020-11-19 um 10.43.12.png

After Safari 14.0.1 Update ...

And NO the swupdate 2020-006 didnt fix it - only Security Update 2020-006 Mojave standalone... ?

Last edited:

amok-san

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2008
I replaced a full Safari 14 with one I had in a backup. Probably the one in the installer wasn’t a full app, sometimes are just parts that go added to the app in your computer. Like it should have been, being just a 14.0.1 update and not the full version.
Well, it was bigger in filesize.

Additionally I installed the Security Update 2020-006 standalone over, but that didn't fix anything either.

Al Gordon (albabe)

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2020
Security Update 2020-006 Mojave is now out at https://support.apple.com/downloads it contains a complete Version of Safari 14.0.1 .... just Install it over - if everything runs correct you will have Your Icons back...

Worked at least for me.... Did a System Reinstall and went the whole Updateprocess trough ...

View attachment 1673542
everything Ok .. No Safari Update 14.0.1....
View attachment 1673543

After Safari 14.0.1 Update ...

And NO the swupdate 2020-006 didnt fix it - only Security Update 2020-006 Mojave standalone... ?
The files there say they're from November 12, 2020. That's the files that messed us up.

Reactions: PhillyGuy72

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
I wish I read this forum before updating my aunts 2013 iMac this morning. I made sure the Mac loaded up, showed desktop...before I had to quickly leave.

She called leaving a voice mail a few hours ago freaking out "My screen pictures are blank, white. (no idea what she was talking about, she's pushing 80) What did i do to her computer!!!" Finally figured out she was talking about Safari shortcut icons. ugh

(Her desktop is FILLED with the Safari shortcut icons.) ?
C'mon Apple, were talking a simple Safari update, that's it. Get with it please!

waitfam

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2017
I updated the security update 2020-006 on my 2013 mac pro on Mojave, had the same results with blank icons and open with in finder greyed out. Come on Apple, Mojave had been flawless. Maybe they want me to upgrade to Big Sur.
Funny the update and Big Sur came out about the same time!

Last edited:

FrakeTrain

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 9, 2018
I wonder how many people were affected by this?
I have to assume that all the Catalina peeps "up"graded to Safari 14.0.1 (15610.2.11.51.10) are having this problem (and it appears Mojave too). Does anyone know anyone who has this build and has retained all their .icns files in the Safari package and not having this issue? I only had a backup of Safari v13.1.3 and it has all the .icns files in the package. I'm guessing that since they are doing an overhaul on all the app icons in BS, that this looks like some unfinished work in the Mojave and Catalina builds.

And no, I have not heard back from Apple on my macOS Feedback Assistant app submittal on 11/13.
Please everyone flood Apple with submittals either through the on-line version of Feedback Assistant or through the macOS app version. Any guesses on v14.0.2 or v14.1 release date? They only seem to release a Safari version for past macOS' at the same time they do a security update or supplemental update...

Al Gordon (albabe)

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2020
I'm in Mojave 10.14.6. I assumed everyone chatting here was in Mojave too. My Bad. If this is happening with Catalina, well that would mean a LOT of Mac Users were affected. WTF?

Mac Pro (Mid 2010)
2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 2 GB

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
On my old iMac with Mojave the icon was gone. It's just outright missing. There is an unrelated glitch in the Dock file previews with music files, they switch their icons on restart to something else and I have to remove my Stacks and re-add to get the icons back.

Al Gordon (albabe)

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2020
I was on the Phone yesterday with a nice Apple Tech-Help guy. He said he wasn't allowed to go to this page for Info... so I read all the pertinent parts to him over the phone. He took notes and he actually said he'll get back to me on Thanksgiving.

If any of you have time, call them... maybe this'll be resolved a bit faster.

Reactions: katbel

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
I was on the Phone yesterday with a nice Apple Tech-Help guy. He said he wasn't allowed to go to this page for Info... so I read all the pertinent parts to him over the phone. He took notes and he actually said he'll get back to me on Thanksgiving.

If any of you have time, call them... maybe this'll be resolved a bit faster.
I need to call Apple for a lot of issues ...I will!

Al Gordon (albabe)

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2020
I need to call Apple for a lot of issues ...I will!
Thanx< The more of us that "complain," the merrier.

Since this is somewhat System Wide, maybe someone could take this time to put together a nice new set of Icons for Safari.... I'm dreaming.

Al Gordon (albabe)

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2020
I got a call back from the tech fella I talked to earlier and it sounds like Apple is NOT going to do a thing about this... and that we'll just have to wait 'till the next Security/Safari Update...

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: katbel

Al Gordon (albabe)

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2020
It makes one wonder, if someone just now updating their Safari, will get the flawed software.
The Update just before this one, really screwed-up Safari and my Mac Pro in General... I should know better to even Update the Patches Mac sends out, obviously without testing them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.