Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Al Gordon (albabe)

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2020
Not just the icons - .weblocs no longer open the URL in Safari or Firefox...
Interesting. That function works for me in Safari. Like katbel, I realize you can't change the "Open With" inside the Info - but you can drop the .webloc on the Firefox.app or on Firefox in the Dock. Basically, I'm just missing the Icon on the webloc.

Reactions: Unsupported

Unsupported

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2020
a land far, far away...
Interesting. That function works for me in Safari. Like katbel, I realize you can't change the "Open With" inside the Info - but you can drop the .webloc on the Firefox.app or on Firefox in the Dock. Basically, I'm just missing the Icon on the webloc.

Very interesting. Dropping the .webloc onto an open window in Firefox works but not in Safari, niether dropping into an open window, nor onto Safari in the dock - that just opens a blank Safari window.

Unsupported

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2020
a land far, far away...

OK, I've found more interesting things about .weblocs not working as they should.

I'll post about it on the thread I opened about that, rather than here which is about the icons rather than the funcionality of the files:

Unsupported

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2020
a land far, far away...
Still on Catalina 10.15.7 SuppUp and just installed Safari 14.0.1 (15610.2.11.51.10) over 14.0 today, and all my .webloc icon previews are blank. That includes desktop icons, folder icons, and Get Info Preview icons. Anyone else?

They used to look like this:

View attachment 1664441
Mine look like this:

Screenshot 2020-12-06 at 16.36.31.png

But I had another problem...

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
Just tried on a secondary computer: icons lost again !!! Safari app is again without icons inside and tiny 24.5 MB
and Open with still greyed out ?

To get my icons back I pasted the icon on all my URL files in one shot - command +option-I
Only one window and you can paste the icon once for all.

Last edited:
Reactions: Al Gordon (albabe)

Al Gordon (albabe)

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2020
Just tried on a secondary computer: icons lost again !!! Safari app is again without icons inside and tiny 24.5 MB

To get my icons back I pasted the icon on all my URL files in one shot - command +option-I
Amazing, isn't it?

I spent an Hour on the Phone with an Apple Tech, and he took copious notes that I read to him from all the Techy Guys in here... and he gave the Notes et al to the Apple Engineers and these ******s decided it was too much Fuggin' trouble to take Ten Fuggin' Minutes to fix this before they posted the Build.

Al Gordon (albabe)

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2020

Where did you get the Icon Bundle?

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
Where did you get the Icon Bundle?
From my primary computer where I went back to the old safari still working. Do you need it?
If you unzip the folder it has the Safari icon : command -i the folder, select the icon and past it where you need it.
If I send you a webloc file it will go back to blank as soon as touch your computer, this way on a folder you have it ?
Folder is empty

Attachments

• Safari icon.zip
    739.6 KB · Views: 133

FrakeTrain

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 9, 2018
yep, all the icons (except one) still missing from the new Safari .2 package contents. sketchy at best

Al Gordon (albabe)

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2020
From my primary computer where I went back to the old safari still working. Do you need it?
If you unzip the folder it has the Safari icon : command -i the folder, select the icon and past it where you need it.
If I send you a webloc file it will go back to blank as soon as touch your computer, this way on a folder you have it ?
Folder is empty
Thanx<

I'm still confused as to how you replaced the Icons on ALL the weblocs(?)

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
Thanx<

I'm still confused as to how you replaced the Icons on ALL the weblocs(?)
I keep all weblocs in the same folder automatically, using an app that as soon as I drag one on the desktop it transfers it to the specific folder for webloc. Than it’s easy to select them all and command +option-I , paste the icon and voila.
Or you can search for webloc by kind on your Mac,
select them all with command +option-I
and paste your icon of choice.

Al Gordon (albabe)

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2020
I keep all weblocs in the same folder automatically, using an app that as soon as I drag one on the desktop it transfers it to the specific folder for webloc. Than it’s easy to select them all and command +option-I , paste the icon and voila.
Thanx a bunch, but, Well, I'm still 100% LOST here.

I have my .webloc links to certain pages all over my Mac in MANY different Folders. With the (Literally) Thousands of .webloc Files I have, if I did the Search routine that you suggested, I'm sure my old Mac Pro 2010 would hang for a week or so... no?

Al Gordon (albabe)

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2020
Oh wait... i dig... I never used the "command +option-I" commands before... it seems to have worked n my desktop... cool... mostly. Thanx!

pietruszkim

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2020
I used Katbel icon (big thanx) and free Liteicon app to change the document's icon, now everything looks great :)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-12-17 at 21.17.34.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-17 at 21.17.34.png
    26.1 KB · Views: 102
  • Screen Shot 2020-12-17 at 21.18.21.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-17 at 21.18.21.png
    15.2 KB · Views: 98
Reactions: katbel

Al Gordon (albabe)

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2020
I got an email this morning from the Apple Tech I chatted with Last Month about this same problem. He said:

The issue is still under investigation, their email said anyone who submitted a request about the issue will receive a mass email when the investigation is complete and they have a resolution, so I will get one once they have fixed the issue.

"Mass" meaning it's widespread, right?
To which I answered:

Thanx a bunch, Steve! I’m just surprised that they didn’t fix it with the last Security and Safari Build. It’s just a matter of recompiling the icns Folder… If I knew what I was doing, that shouldn't take more than Ten Minutes, right?

One more thing. I notice that it takes my Mac Pro 2010 about 5-10 minutes to shutdown, since that last Build. If you could tell them that too. Obviously my old OS is not even on their Radar.

Al Gordon (albabe)

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2020
I got an email this morning from the Apple Tech I chatted with Last Month about this same problem. He said:

The issue is still under investigation, their email said anyone who submitted a request about the issue will receive a mass email when the investigation is complete and they have a resolution, so I will get one once they have fixed the issue.

"Mass" meaning it's widespread, right?
To which I answered:

Thanx a bunch, Steve! I’m just surprised that they didn’t fix it with the last Security and Safari Build. It’s just a matter of recompiling the icns Folder… If I knew what I was doing, that shouldn't take more than Ten Minutes, right?

One more thing. I notice that it takes my Mac Pro 2010 about 5-10 minutes to shutdown, since that last Build. If you could tell them that too. Obviously my old OS is not even on their Radar.
Please, everyone, report this!

Reactions: katbel

waitfam

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2017
Out of curiosity I did a "safe" test to see if installing Big Sur would correct the blank page icons and greyed out open with in finder. I backed up Mojave and all files to an external drive. On the external drive I downloaded Big Sur to update the operating system. I ended up with a functional Big Sur from external drive, everything works for the most part but the icons are still blank pages and open with is still greyed out. I hope Apple can get this fixed with an update. Is it possible to reinstall Mojave on my computer? Will that restore the icons? Before installing Big Sur on my main system, I would like to get this resolved.

Jon-PDX

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2011
Pacific NW - USA
Well I'm glad it's not just me.

Couple days ago without warning my MacBook decided to do an update. I usually get a notice and have to ok updates. I looked but was unable to find out what was installed/updated. I'm guessing it was a system or security update released in the last couple days.

Anyway after the update all my weblogs turned white. They do work when clicked. I'll submit a trouble ticket but from reading this thread I'm not holding my breath the issue will be dealt with anytime soon.

Edit: "Open with" is also greyed out.

OSX: Catalina 10.15.7
Safari: 14.02

Jon...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.