Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sweatypalms557

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 18, 2022

Shame on Samsung for taking some of his Samsung phones back then ghosting him. Basically destroying evidence but luckily he had more Samsung phones with the same issue.

Lastly shame on some of the other tech journalists who witnessed the same phenomenon but never talked about it because they were afraid Samsung would blacklist them and not send them review units in the future.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I would like to know the ratio of these reviewer's Samsung phone collection that the battery became damaged by just sitting for long periods of time.

Samsung could have a problem with quality control, or their overall battery implementation. How big of a problem is the question. But this doesn't look good when its multiple big names in the review field, claiming Samsung is the culprit the majority of the time.

Another issue I have is, why is this noticed now? Some of those phones are past 5 years old.

I still have these Samsung phones below in my draw, and probably mess with them once or twice a year. Never had any issue with bulging or exploring batteries. My collection is miniscule though, so it doesn't mean anything.

S3 .... Original battery, but only lasts about 30mins screen time. Back when Samsung threw every feature they can think of at us.

Note 4.... Original battery, lasts about 2 hours screen time. This phone was used HEAVILY!!!!! I took it back from my mother when it finally became obsolete. 😅

S7 Edge .... Battery life is still good, but it wasn't the best to begin with. I kept this phone cause it look so good with the gold color. GOLD IS BEST!!!

S8+ .... Battery life is still good enough to be used as main phone. And this came out when Android finally got stand-by battery life on point.

Berries-A-Million

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2019
Then you did not listen to his investigations and reports from others, he simply did not follow those up :rolleyes:

Try listening to 9 mins in where he reported 40% said they had experienced it with others brands

Shame on you for further misrepresentation
I've owned many phones over the years. And only my Samsung phones have done this. No iphones or other brands like LG, htc, etc. I've got my own experience proof that Samsung has had battery issues. And many more on the comments of those videos show.

Berries-A-Million

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2019
This is my Note 20 that I used daily for work before I left the job and turned it in.

You can see the back being pushed out.
edcbc5477a02714abc123efcc7843c08.jpg

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 5105973 and lostPod

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Oh mropposhill, forgot he existed.

Have seen batteries buldging on many other brands, so I doubt it's a Samsung exclusive. And his extrapolation of "sample size" is hilarious.

Let's see if he would do the same on his Chinese overlords.

Having said that, Samsung does need a better PR response. The worst thing a customer can feel is when he/she is left waiting not knowing what's happening.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
I've owned many phones over the years. And only my Samsung phones have done this. No iphones or other brands like LG, htc, etc. I've got my own experience proof that Samsung has had battery issues. And many more on the comments of those videos show.
So you are denying that he noted 40% of others said it was not just Samsung :rolleyes:

Whilst we all would note there is no smoke without fire LOL and Samsung and others need to be clear.

My own evidence on my Webber BBQ ignition system is knackered due to a swollen and leaking battery. Like the Video you need to take care of storing devices with batteries over long terms of inactivity etc

Sweatypalms557

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 18, 2022
More tech YouTubers are coming out and saying only Samsung phones have this issue. Samsung needs to provide answers soon.

Sweatypalms557

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 18, 2022
Like who? So far, all I see are few YouTubers riding on MrOppoShill’s video to garner views themselves, or just parade in the twitter bashfest.
Marques, Dave2D, JerryRig, Danny Winget, Ben’s gadget, Matthew mOniz, Mr Mobile, Supersaf, and some Indian tech YouTubers I don’t follow. Plenty of people. All have access to multiple Samsung devices and other brands yet they all say only Samsung devices bulge.

Berries-A-Million

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2019
So you are denying that he noted 40% of others said it was not just Samsung :rolleyes:

Whilst we all would note there is no smoke without fire LOL and Samsung and others need to be clear.

My own evidence on my Webber BBQ ignition system is knackered due to a swollen and leaking battery. Like the Video you need to take care of storing devices with batteries over long terms of inactivity etc
None of mine were stored. All were used when they had battery issues.

Reactions: Sweatypalms557

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Marques, Dave2D, JerryRig, Danny Winget, Ben’s gadget, Matthew mOniz, Mr Mobile, Supersaf, and some Indian tech YouTubers I don’t follow. Plenty of people. All have access to multiple Samsung devices and other brands yet they all say only Samsung devices bulge.
really? Only Samsung batteries? Google is your friend here
1664380728345.png

Reactions: 5105973

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
All of those have unknown origins while tech reviewers keep their units in the same environment with the same usage amount. It is a controlled test. So yes Samsung batteries do bulge and it is a limited phenomenon with Samsung only.
Not true why are you spreading false information? Are trolling? because I have provided proof that Apple has battery issues just as you have pointed out.
So have you posted in the iPhone thread about iPhone batteries expanding? Nope...didn't think so. Because you just are here to rile up people in the alternative section.

So yes Samsung batteries do bulge and it is a limited phenomenon with Samsung only.

Here is a recent article for MBP batteries

Here is a iPhone battery exploding

Reactions: koigirl

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
I can’t even take this seriously. I can talk trash about Samsung, but this is just silly.

All lithium batteries have the capability. I have never seen any evidence that this is more frequent on Samsung vs other brands. With the exception of the Note 7 I’m not aware of any Samsung phones that are more prone to doing this then any other phone. It would be a class action lawsuit if there was a sliver of truth to this especially with greedy lawyers in the USA.

This is why I dislike the YouTube algorithm. It encourages clickbait and sensationalism tactics to get views.

bc 08

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2020
All lithium batteries have the capability. I have never seen any evidence that this is more frequent on Samsung vs other brands.

The evidence is overwhelming, simply because you lack the anecdotal experience to support doesn't mean it isn't a cold, hard reality.

Sweatypalms557

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 18, 2022
Plenty of reputable people have came forward about this being a Samsung only issue. It doesn’t matter if other devices were witnessed to have it because it’s a sample size of one. Samsung bulging battery has a huge sample size so you can draw conclusions that Samsung batteries are bad news.

• Haha
Reactions: aggie99

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
The evidence is overwhelming, simply because you lack the anecdotal experience to support doesn't mean it isn't a cold, hard reality.
Some guy on YouTube isn’t evidence. Evidence would be hard numbers of how many Samsung phones had failed batteries versus how many other phones.

I actually like this guy’s channel, but this is just for views and entertainment. It’s not fact.

The fact is all batteries of this type can swell. If you don’t believe me, Google image search iPhone battery swelling. Perhaps Samsung is making batteries for iPhone but I don’t think so.

Reactions: TPadden and ian87w

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Plenty of reputable people have came forward about this being a Samsung only issue. It doesn’t matter if other devices were witnessed to have it because it’s a sample size of one. Samsung bulging battery has a huge sample size so you can draw conclusions that Samsung batteries are bad news.
I have a Note 8, Note 10 Plus, Tab S7 and Z Fold 4 here which don't have bulging batteries.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.