Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sweatypalms557

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 18, 2022
I trust someone with evidence showing his Samsung phones and other brands stored in the same conditions. I don’t trust Google search of devices stored in unknown conditions. Based off that, Samsung is clearly having Battery issues.

Reactions: bc 08

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I trust someone with evidence showing his Samsung phones and other brands stored in the same conditions. I don’t trust Google search of devices stored in unknown conditions. Based off that, Samsung is clearly having Battery issues.
LOL...you trust some guy on YouTube but then ignore the plethora of information on Google that directly contradicts your point of view.......right....

images

bc 08

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2020
Some guy on YouTube isn’t evidence. Evidence would be hard numbers of how many Samsung phones had failed batteries versus how many other phones.

I actually like this guy’s channel, but this is just for views and entertainment. It’s not fact.

The fact is all batteries of this type can swell. If you don’t believe me, Google image search iPhone battery swelling. Perhaps Samsung is making batteries for iPhone but I don’t think so.

Yes, any lithium ion battery can swell. Samsungs tend do it much greater frequency than other brands -- this has been known for some time. Mrwhosetheboss didn't uncover this, he was the just the first high profile YT'er who had the stones to make a video about.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Yes, any lithium ion battery can swell. Samsungs tend do it much greater frequency than other brands -- this has been known for some time. Mrwhosetheboss didn't uncover this, he was the just the first high profile YT'er who had the stones to make a video about.
Show us your eveidense for this.....

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
How many times do we have to note the 9th minute in your own posting of a tech reviewer who you believe above all else offered, notes its multiple OEM's

Your selective quoting, rhetoric is getting ridiculous

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/samsung-galaxy-s22-ultra-note-22-ultra.2313881/post-31557170

Reactions: jamezr

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Samsungs tend do it much greater frequency than other brands -- this has been known for some time.
So if this has been known for some time known for some time you should have no problem answering this question.

What percentage of Samsung batteries have this issue versus the percentage of non-Samsung batteries?

Perhaps your googling skills are better than mine, so please link this information because it would be great.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Show us your eveidense for this.....
I’ve searched for on Google, but can’t find any studies or hard evidence that there’s an actual problem.

There might be a problem, but just because some guy on YouTube says there is doesn’t make it true. Perhaps this video will get enough attention so actual information can come out and either debunk or prove it.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I’ve searched for on Google, but can’t find any studies or hard evidence that there’s an actual problem.

There might be a problem, but just because some guy on YouTube says there is doesn’t make it true. Perhaps this video will get enough attention so actual information can come out and either debunk or prove it.
right....do all lithium ION batteries have the potential to swell and explode..yes they all do...no matter what device they are in our who makes the device.

These guys just have an axe to grind against Samsung and it is clouding their perspective......

Reactions: SteveJUAE

bc 08

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2020
What percentage of Samsung batteries have this issue versus the percentage of non-Samsung batteries?

I don't have access to Samsung warranty data as I'm sure you're aware to give exact failure rate percentages, it's just been an observable trend for many years that Samsung has consistently had more battery issues than the other manufacturers -- above and beyond the most infamous example:

1664390350960.png

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I don't have access to Samsung warranty data as I'm sure you're aware to give exact failure rate percentages, it just been an observable trend for many years that Samsung has consistently had more battery issues that other manufacturers -- above and beyond the most infamous example:

View attachment 2083104
That is old news though....that is not what this whole new thread that was started is about.
No one can deny that happened to samsung.

This thread was started because they said it was happening to current devices! Did you read the thread?

bc 08

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2020
do all lithium ION batteries have the potential to swell and explode.....yes they all do

All automotive internal combustion engines have the potential to spin a rod bearing and yet some engine architectures are far more prone to it.

Simply because a technology has an inherent (potential) mode of failure doesn't mean ell implementations of said technology will have the same rate of failure.

bc 08

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2020
That is old news though....that is not what this whole new thread that was started is about.
No one can deny that happened to samsung.

This thread was started because they said it was happening to current devices! Did you read the thread?

Read the thread, saw the vids -- how is Samsung's history irrelevant to the present?

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
I don't have access to Samsung warranty data as I'm sure you're aware to give exact failure rate percentages, it's just been an observable trend for many years that Samsung has consistently had more battery issues than the other manufacturers -- above and beyond the most infamous example:

View attachment 2083104
I don’t think you can bring the whole Note 7 thing into this because that was an isolated incident for one product that was identified. No one disputes it had problems with the battery. The thing is there’s no evidence to support that problem exists with any other Samsung phone.

You say it’s an observable trend, but I don’t see it so clearly it’s only observable to some. People also say the same thing about MacBooks because it’s not uncommon to see a MacBook with the battery swelling if you work on computers. It’s also not uncommon to see a MacBook because you know there’s quite a few million of them out there. It’s the same way with Samsung phones. They make so many phones that some of them are going to fail. Overall numbers will look bad but percentages is what counts.

I would really like to see some numbers on two specific things. The first thing are Samsung batteries more likely to expand. This isn’t an explosion like the clickbait video title. The second would be are Samsung batteries more likely to catch fire.

The only thing I like about this video is it brings attention to the fact that this can happen and people need to take it seriously.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Reactions: sunking101

bc 08

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2020
OMG....I will use your own words...

😂
Except you didn't use them correctly, at all.

This is Samsung continuing to use a specific battery manufacturer with a spotted history and not lithium-ion as a technology overall.

Would you say Toyota tends to build a more reliable car than Fiat? Why is that? They are both cars with the same inherent potential modes of failure...

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
😂
Except you didn't use them correctly, at all.

This is Samsung continuing to use a specific battery manufacturer with a spotted history and not lithium-ion as technology overall.
same supplier...correct but the implementation of the battery technology is different. Just as Apple is using the same suppliers for their batteries that had the same issues.....
doesn't mean ell implementations of said technology will have the same rate of failure.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Would you say Toyota tends to build a more reliable car than Fiat? Why is that? They are both cars with the same inherent potential modes of failure...
That’s a bad analogy because those companies have long histories of their products when it comes to reliability. If Samsung had a long history of releasing phones, like the note 7, then I would agree with you.

Geez, y’all got me defending Samsung. I need to take a shower 😂😂😂

bc 08

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2020
same supplier...correct but the implementation of the battery technology is different. Just as Apple is using the same suppliers for their batteries that had the same issues.....

Can you explain to me how this supplier has improved their manufacturing processes?
What specs are Samsung and Apple supplying to these manufacturers?
Are they same?

I'm sure this story will gain traction and more hard data to be made public.

bc 08

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2020
That’s a bad analogy because those companies have long histories of their products when it comes to reliability. If Samsung had a long history of releasing phones, like the note 7, then I would agree with you.

Geez, y’all got me defending Samsung. I need to take a shower 😂😂😂

I think it's a pretty good analogy to highlight inherently flawed logic.
We don't need to look at both auto companies entire trend to observe some trends, the last decade works.

"do all lithium ION batteries have the potential to swell and explode..yes they all do...no matter what device they are in our who makes the device." -- that logic can not be used to pre-excuse a potential Samsung problem.

The Note 7 recall happened 5 years ago, it's not ancient history.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
The only thing I like about this video is it brings attention to the fact that this can happen and people need to take it seriously.
This! That’s why it’s important to practice smart battery usages. I can’t speak for any one here… but I try to keep my battery around 40 to 80 percent… I avoid using my phone when charging unless its plugged in via DeX.

And I have a schedule where it turns off during the night on certain days.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
I think it's a pretty good analogy to highlight inherently flawed logic.
We don't need to look at both auto companies histories entire existence to observe some trends, the last decade works.

"do all lithium ION batteries have the potential to swell and explode..yes they all do...no matter what device they are in our who makes the device." -- that logic can not be used to pre-excuse a potential Samsung problem.

The Note 7 recall happened 5 years ago, it's not ancient history.
You’re right, we don’t need to go back to ancient history to observe trends but the Note 7 isn’t a trend. It’s a single product. To be a trend it would have to be at least two products.

No one says Fiat makes unreliable cars because they made one car in one year that was unreliable.

If anything, the Note 7 incident shows there isn’t an issue with Samsung batteries. As soon as that phone came out, people identified that there was a problem. There is no such thing going on now with Samsung phones.

People can go back and forth in this thread, saying that Samsung batteries are dangerous, but there is no data to support that. Without data it’s just opinion.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
This! That’s why it’s important to practice smart battery usages. I can’t speak for any one here… but I try to keep my battery around 40 to 80 percent… I avoid using my phone when charging unless its plugged in via DeX.

And I have a schedule where it turns off during the night on certain days.
I don’t take as many precautions as you do, but I don’t sleep with my phone under my pillow either. I think just being aware of the potential is the most important part. If the battery is swelling then don’t just keep it in your house 😂

bc 08

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2020
You’re right, we don’t need to go back to ancient history to observe trends but the Note 7 isn’t a trend. It’s a single product. To be a trend it would have to be at least two products.

No one says Fiat makes unreliable cars because they made one car in one year that was unreliable.

If anything, the Note 7 incident shows there isn’t an issue with Samsung batteries. As soon as that phone came out, people identified that there was a problem. There is no such thing going on now with Samsung phones.

People can go back and forth in this thread, saying that Samsung batteries are dangerous, but there is no data to support that. Without data it’s just opinion.

The Note 7 also wasn't gently swelling after a few years -- it was an immediate danger.
Had Samsung not issued a voluntary recall the CSPC would have forced an involuntary one.

If Fiat made one model year of death traps that they fully recalled (and destroyed) and 10 years of worth of cars that began slowly breaking down after 3 years (for a related issue) it's certainly grounds for legitimate suspicion and probably an investigation... which I'm sure will come from this as well.

Nobody rational will blindly excuse Fiat because :airquotes: Fiat builds cars and cars have the potential to break down :airquotes:

But instead of going back and forth in these circular discussions I'll pop back here in 6 months and see if anything came of this. I suspect Samsung's PR and legal teams will be working overtime for the next several weeks at least.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.