Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I don’t take as many precautions as you do, but I don’t sleep with my phone under my pillow either. I think just being aware of the potential is the most important part. If the battery is swelling then don’t just keep it in your house 😂
Yeah, it might seem as if I'm overdoing it. I just wanna make sure I keep the battery at good standing that way the performance is good for however long I keep it.

Reactions: russell_314

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Can you explain to me how this supplier has improved their manufacturing processes?
What specs are Samsung and Apple supplying to these manufacturers?
Are they same?

I'm sure this story will gain traction and more hard data to be made public.
nope I cannot explain that you...but I can use my brain and see the results. Had issues then now don't have issues. So they changed the process for the better.

So Samsung had the whole Note 7 fiasco...they owned up to it took a HUGE financial and reputation hit.
Then they were able to go into minute detail (just Google it if you want to know) what the reason the batteries failed.

Now contrast that with Apple and their failed battery technology.....they did not own up to any issues.....instead they throttle iphones starting with the iPhone 6 because the battery would get too hot and the phone would shut down.

How do we know know all of this? It only came out when a class action suit was filed and Apple was forced to own up to throttling iphones to make up for thir bad battery technology. All of what I just said is readily available here on MR and a Goole search.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ludatyk

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I think it's a pretty good analogy to highlight inherently flawed logic.
We don't need to look at both auto companies entire trend to observe some trends, the last decade works.

"do all lithium ION batteries have the potential to swell and explode..yes they all do...no matter what device they are in our who makes the device." -- that logic can not be used to pre-excuse a potential Samsung problem.

The Note 7 recall happened 5 years ago, it's not ancient history.
nope that was 2016 and it is now almost 2023.
but 2016 was the same year Apple Macbook pros were being banned from flights beacsue thei batteries were catching fire in cargo holds on airplanes.
In fact this was in 2019 that the FAA banned MacBook Pro unit from airplanes. Do you think that is still revelent?

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
nope I cannot explain tho you...but I can use my brain and see the results. Had issues then now don't have issues. So they changed the process for the better.

So Samsung had the whole Note 7 fiasco...they owned up to it took a HUGE financial and reputation hit.
Then they were able to go into minute detail (just Google it if you want to know) what the reason the batteries failed.

Now contrast that with Apple and thei failed batter technology.....they did not own up to any issues.....instead they throttle iphones starting witht he iPhone 6 because the battery would get too hot and the phone would shut down.

How do we know know all of this? It only came out when a class action suit was filed and Apple was forced to own up to throttling iphones to make up for thir bad batter technology. All of what I just said is readily available here on MR and a Goole search.
I don’t think you can compare the iPhone 6 issue with the Note 7 issue. One was people being upset about not being told the phone was throttling due to an aging battery and the other was catching fire right out of the box.

My understanding was it didn’t have anything to do with overheating battery, but the battery just could not provide enough power so without throttling the phone would just shut off. The throttling was to make it not shut off.

Reactions: jamezr

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I don’t think you can compare the iPhone 6 issue with the Note 7 issue. One was people being upset about not being told the phone was throttling due to an aging battery and the other was catching fire right out of the box.

My understanding was it didn’t have anything to do with overheating battery, but the battery just could not provide enough power so without throttling the phone would just shut off. The throttling was to make it not shut off.
Agreed it is not quite as bad. My point was at least Samsung owned up to the mistake.
While apple hid their mistakes and denied it all until engineers had concreate proof and filed a class action alwsuit.

bc 08

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2020
nope that was 2016 and it is now almost 2023.
but 2016 was the same year Apple Macbook pros were being banned from flights beacsue thei batteries were catching fire in cargo holds on airplanes.
In fact this was in 2019 that the FAA banned MacBook Pro unit from airplanes. Do you think that is still revelent?

So it was 6 years ago, to the month. Better? 5 years or 6 years is irrelavant to any larger context discussed here.

No I don't think the Macbook Pro is relevant to this topic which is phones, you're a real fan of whataboutisms aren't you?

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
This! That’s why it’s important to practice smart battery usages. I can’t speak for any one here… but I try to keep my battery around 40 to 80 percent… I avoid using my phone when charging unless its plugged in via DeX.

And I have a schedule where it turns off during the night on certain days.
Every single phone I've had gets charged to 100% and depleted to 5% sometimes zero percent. For over two decades and I've never suffered a swelling or exploding battery. Neither have my parents who get my cast-off devices and use them for a further couple of years.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
So it was 6 years ago, to the month. Better? 5 years or 6 years is irrelavant to any larger context discussed here.

No I don't think the Macbook Pro is relevant to this topic which is phones, you're a real fan of whataboutisms aren't you?
I think all battery tech is revelent. Why would it not be reveleant? It is the same technology in an phone and laptop just the scale is different.

Here are more iphones cathing fire and causing injuires to people...
Still think it is just Samsung?

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Agreed it is not quite as bad. My point was at least Samsung owned up to the mistake.
While apple hid their mistakes and denied it all until engineers had concreate proof and filed a class action alwsuit.
Samsung didn’t have a leg to stand on. They didn’t own up their mistake right away. It took them a short time, but at that point they realized they were in trouble. Even after they started doing things, it was handled badly. I had a friend who had the Note 7 and it took him a while to get a new phone. Their answer was well just turn your phone in without giving him a new phone. I mean sure in this day and age who needs a cell phone, so yeah, I can just turn my phone in.

What Apple did wasn’t a mistake. There was no problems with what they did. The mistake was how they did it. The issue was once the battery was aging and unable to provide enough current it made the iPhone unstable. Apple came out with a fix for that but unfortunately for them it was at the same time people were saying Apple was intentionally slowing phones to get people to buy new phones. What they should have done was added a feature that could be manually turned on if the phone was crashing to keep it working on a degraded battery. I think they thought this would have been a PR issue but it would avoid any kind of lawsuit. I really wonder sometimes what whoever is it Apple is thinking when they make some crazy decision like this. I think they need to have some type of secondary legal advice for some of these decisions 😂

bc 08

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2020
I think all battery tech is revelent. Why would it not be reveleant? It is the same technology in an phone and laptop just the scale is different.

Here are more iphones cathing fire and causing injuires to people...
Still think it is just Samsung?

I never thought it was just Samsung nor have I ever presented that argument.

Apple sold 63 million iPhone Xs
Samsung sold 2.5 million Note 7s

The examples of Note 7s spontaneously combusting grossly exceeds examples of iPhone Xs doing the same.

Hence Samsung recalled -- and no it wasn't out of their integrity or goodwill -- it was because the US Federal Gov would have forced Samsung's hand and hit them with penalties had they not done so voluntarily.

Apple (and the Gov) clearly doesn't feel there was enough of a safety hazard to recall the X or MacBook Pro.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Every single phone I've had gets charged to 100% and depleted to 5% sometimes zero percent. For over two decades and I've never suffered a swelling or exploding battery. Neither have my parents who get my cast-off devices and use them for a further couple of years.
To each their own. I think TheVerge if I’m not mistaken did a piece on battery technology some years back and they discussed it with some experts in the field and the response back was around 40 to 80 was the ideal percentage you want to keep the phone at.

You can choose however you want to charge your smartphone… you paid for it, I didn’t lol. I’m just going by what experts recommend.

Edit. And to add… this doesn’t necessarily have anything to do with swelling or exploding battery. It’s more about keeping the battery at good standing for good performances over a longer period. My guess using from 100 to 5% daily could result in bad battery health much sooner compared to keeping it around 40 to 80%.

Last edited:

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I never thought it was just Samsung nor have I ever presented that argument.

Apple sold 63 million iPhone Xs
Samsung sold 2.5 million Note 7s

The examples of Note 7s spontaneously combusting grossly exceeds examples of iPhone Xs doing the same.

Hence Samsung recalled -- and no it wasn't out of their integrity or goodwill -- it was because the US Federal Gov would have forced Samsung's hand and hit them with penalties had they not done so voluntarily.

Apple (and the Gov) clearly doesn't feel there was enough of a safety hazard to recall the X or MacBook Pro.
But the Gov did step in with Apple and the Macbook Pro and banned them from filghts
Now is see why you didn't want to include laptops....

I agree that the Note 7 issue was bigger....but it is still the same issue of Litium batteries.
They are considered hazordous material. So now contrast that to ONE youtube video that started this whole thread and you can put things into perspective.

This whole up in arms about samsung phone batteries is much to do about nothing.....

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
To each their own. I think TheVerge if I’m not mistaken did a piece on battery technology some years back and they discussed it with some experts in the field and the response back was around 40 to 80 was the ideal percentage you want to keep the phone at.

You can choose however you want to charge your smartphone… you paid for it, I didn’t lol. I’m just going by what experts recommend.

Edit. And to add… this doesn’t necessarily have anything to do with swelling or exploding battery. It’s more about keeping the battery at good standing for good performances over a longer period. My guess using from 100 to 5% daily could result in bad battery health much sooner compared to keeping it around 40 to 80%.
Batteries don't last me the day as it is so I'm sure as heck not robbing myself of 60% of their capacity by keeping them between 40-80%.

I upgrade every 18-24 months and have never had any problems with battery longevity despite charging twice per day. I expect that your battery might be 5-10% better than mine at the 2 year mark but you'll have stressed and suffered whilst I just use mine freely without a care in the world.

bc 08

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2020
This whole up in arms about samsung phone batteries is much to do about nothing.....

You clearly want that to be the case but the current facts don't bear that out.

This is a clear cut case of argument from ignorance -- a fallacy not an insult.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Batteries don't last me the day as it is so I'm sure as heck not robbing myself of 60% of their capacity by keeping them between 40-80%.

I upgrade every 18-24 months and have never had any problems with battery longevity despite charging twice per day. I expect that your battery might be 5-10% better than mine at the 2 year mark but you'll have stressed and suffered whilst I just use mine freely without a care in the world.
I’m just going off what experts have said… why argue with me over it. I keep a battery pack to avoid going below 40%, but this is my method of charging and it doesn’t stress me out.

Heck, there’s gotta be a reason why Apple gives you an alert at 30% and Samsung provides a toggle to limit charging to 85% to extend lifespan of the battery.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas

What we are trying to get you to understand… if this is such an huge issue that you are making it out to be. Samsung would have no choice but to address it similar to the Note 7 fiasco. And tbf, Samsung took a huge lost financially and even bigger hit in terms of credibility that it would behoove them not have a battery issue going forward.

Reactions: jamezr

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US

I am so glad you can see your own personal faults...it does take a big person to admit that!
Kudos to you my frind :cool:

bc 08

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2020
I am so glad you can see your own personal faults...it does take a big person to admit that!
Kudos to you my frind :cool:

Your conclusion “this is much to do do about nothing” is plainly argument from ignorance — an informal fallacy.

bc 08

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2020
What we are trying to get you to understand… if this is such an huge issue that you are making it out to be. Samsung would have no choice but to address it similar to the Note 7 fiasco. And tbf, Samsung took a huge lost financially and even bigger hit in terms of credibility that it would behoove them not have a battery issue going forward.

Wait and see, what I’m trying to get the Samsung apologists of the thread to understand is that readily dismissing this because it was brought into mainstream light by a “YouTuber” doesn’t make it irrelevant.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Your conclusion “this is much to do do about nothing” is plainly argument from ignorance — an informal fallacy.
now all you want to do is muddy the waters and cloud the issue. You have a pretty blatent bias against Samsung. You and others insinuate one youtube video is proof of some kind of impending doom for Samsung but ignore the same paralells and simiarlities for Apple.

My guess is you are an Apple fan that wants sooooo badly to throw dirt on Samsung.
You have no credabilty here....your bias and narrow POV is pretty evident for all to see.

Last edited:

bc 08

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2020
now all you want to do is muddy the waters and cloud the issue. You have a pretty blatent bias against Samsung. You and others insinuate one youtube video is proof and some kind of impending doom for Samsung but ignore the same paralells and simiarlities form Apple.

My guess is you are a an Apple fan that wants sooooo badly to throw dirt on Samsung.
You have no credabilty here....your bias and narrow POV is pretty evident for all to see.

No, I’m not “muddying the waters” when I point out your consistent use of logical fallacy in your reasoning and arguments.

The one YouTube video IS proof.
It is final conclusive proof? No, not on its own but it if there is indeed teeth to the story (and I suspect there is - and suspected before the video) it will likely come over the next several months.

Only from an obvious pro-Samsung bias can that video and its testimonials be seen as totally irrelevant as you disingenuously try to portray it.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
No, I’m not “muddying the waters” when I point out your consistent use of logical fallacy in your reasoning and arguments.

The one YouTube video IS proof.
It is final conclusive proof? No, not on its own but it if there is indeed teeth to the story (and I suspect there is - and suspected before the video) it will likely come over the next several months.

Only from an obvious pro-Samsung bias can that video and its testimonials be seen as totally irrelevant as you disingenuously try to portray it.
lol yeah one YT video does not a scandal make....no matter how much you want it to. That logical fallacy is on you my friend...you just can't see it.

Just check the iPhone threads here at MR....there are one off issues everywhere. So are those one offs scandals too?
Should we conclude that since ONE person reports a problem that ALL iPhones have this issue?
That is what your whole position is based on....since ONE YT video shows an issue with ONE samsung phone then they ALL must have the same issues.. smh......

I mean just look at all those issues below. I will stop at these but i could do a whole page

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Then just so YOU know...I am an Apple fan. I have had every iPhone since day one! I upgrade every year and my iPhone is my daily driver. I also have Android phones like the Pixel line up and yes Samsung phones too.
But i use my 14 PM Thanos more than anyohter phone because it is awesome! then I also got the AW Ultra and love it!

But I don't feel the need to put down other brands to show any kind of mis-guided loyalty.
I don't feel the need to come into a whole different section of MR that I never go into before just to throw shade at a brand of phones I have interest in buying or having.......
What kind of person does that? I mean how insecure would they have to be.....

bc 08

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2020
lol yeah one YT video does not a scandal make....no matter how much you want it to. That logical fallacy is on you my friend...you just can't see it.

Just check the iPhone threads here at MR....there are one off issues everywhere. So are those one offs scandals too?
Should we conclude that since ONE person reports a problem that ALL iPhones have this issue?
That is what your whole position is based on....since ONE YT video shows an issue with ONE samsung phone then they ALL must have the same issues.. smh......

I mean just look at all those issues below. I will stop at these but i could do a whole page

More whataboutisms - a fallacy

Singular examples a case do not make; however, several long term collections consisting of many brands exhibiting only Samsung batteries failing with high frequency most certainly does.

Just to be clear here: a case doesn’t mean a conclusion.
But it’s a start

bc 08

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2020
Then just so YOU know...I am an Apple fan. I have had every iPhone since day one! I upgrade every year and my iPhone is my daily driver. I also have Android phones like the Pixel line up and yes Samsung phones too.
But i use my 14 PM Thanos more than anyohter phone because it is awesome! then I also got the AW Ultra and love it!

But I don't feel the need to put down other brands to show any kind of mis-guided loyalty.
I don't feel the need to come into a whole different section of MR that I never go into before just to throw shade at a brand of phones I have interest in buying or having.......
What kind of person does that? I mean how insecure would they have to be.....

Do you think owning Apple products precludes you from having a pro-Samsung bias? It doesn’t… at all…

Loyalty? Insecurity? You are seriously projecting here, recognizing Samsung most likely has a significant long-term battery issue doesn’t elevate Apple or tear-down Samsung.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.