Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bc 08

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2020
nope...wrong again.....show me the evidense of Samsung batteries failing at a higher rate the competing manufactures........ One YouTube video is not that evidense just so you know....
where is all of the coloborating evidense to support any of what you said.....

Evidence:

It's not "non-evidence" because you say it is - Marques, Zach, and Austin ALL corroborated Arun's findings.
And this isn't the first time *I've* heard about this either.

Reactions: Sweatypalms557

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Evidence:

It's not "non-evidence" because you say it is - Marques, Zach, and Austin ALL corroborated Arun's findings.
And this isn't the first time *I've* heard about this either.
lol...nope one video does not make evidense...it might be a starting point. But then those youtubers you listed...believe me if they really felt that way they would be broadcasting it on their channels and going on record with it.

The fact they haven't done that speaks volumes...because they would want all that traffic going to their channels as that means huge dollars to them. They won't do this because they know the reputation hit they would get when it proved to be false.

So then if that video has ANY weight at all it will be circulated around social media and be trending like crazy.
So where is all the buzz? Wherer is everyone else taking this up?

Last edited:

bc 08

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2020
lol...nope on video does not make evidense...it might be a starting point. But then those youtubers you listed...believe me if they really felt that way they would be broadcasting it on their channels and going on record with it.

The fact they haven't done that speaks volumes...because they would want all that traffic going to their channels as that means huge dollars to them. They won't do this because they know the reputation hit they would get when it proved to be false.

So then if that video has ANY weight at all it will be circulated around social media and be trending like crazy.

At this point I'm fairly convinced you don't actually don't know the definition of evidence.

Let me help you out:

----------
ev·i·dence | \ ˈe-və-dən(t)s

Definition of evidence

1a: an outward sign : INDICATION

in·di·ca·tion | \ ˌin-də-ˈkā-shən \

Definition of indication

1a: something that serves to indicate

in·di·cate | \ ˈin-də-ˌkāt \
indicated; indicating

Definition of indicate

transitive verb
1a: to point out or point to
b: to be a sign, symptom, or indication

-----------

You are clearly conflating evidence with proof.

Please educate yourself:

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
At this point I'm fairly convinced you don't actually don't know the definition of evidence.

Let me help you out:

----------
ev·i·dence | \ ˈe-və-dən(t)s

Definition of evidence

1a: an outward sign : INDICATION

in·di·ca·tion | \ ˌin-də-ˈkā-shən \

Definition of indication

1a: something that serves to indicate

in·di·cate | \ ˈin-də-ˌkāt \
indicated; indicating

Definition of indicate

transitive verb
1a: to point out or point to
b: to be a sign, symptom, or indication

-----------

You are clearly conflating evidence with proof.

Please educate yourself:

wow...you can copy and paste! bravo! You still haven't provided evidense with coloborating proof on anything.
You have not proven anything as I have said all along one YT video is not evidense or proof of anything

You said your evidense was the YT video...but that proves nothing as I and others have said all along....

If your evidense was true...it would be all over all social media platforms and trending everywhere! Why hasn't anyone else championed this? Because they know it is BS and they value their reputations too much.
there are 100s if not 1000s of pro apple bloggers that would jump all over this if could be sustantiated.
It can't and they haven't done so.....

So when this all dies off by next week will you come back and admit you were wrong?

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
With that said, does that mean this will stop me from buying Samsung devices in the future? Of course not. But it may make me think twice about shelving an old Samsung phone in the closet or basement for years.
I think this is where most of us sane posters are disagreeing :)

There is insufficient detail etc for any of us to confidently single out Samsung over any other device

Your right maybe we should be raising an eyebrow on some old device left in a draw somewhere but not just specifically Samsung is the point.

It's a general cautionary note to watch on all devices until we know more

Last edited:
Reactions: Ludatyk and jamezr

bc 08

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2020
wow...you can copy and paste! bravo! You still haven't provided evidense with coloborating proof on anything.
You have not proven anything as I have said all along one YT video is not evidense or proof of anything

You said your evidense was the YT video...but that proves nothing as I and others have said all along....

If your evidense was true...it would be all over all social media platforms and trending everywhere! Why hasn't anyone else championed this? Because they know it is BS and they value their reputations too much.
there are 100s if not 1000s of pro apple bloggers that would jump all over this if could be sustantiated.
It can't and they haven't done so.....

So when this all dies off by next week will you come back and admit you were wrong?

Nice attempt to move the goal-post, so now it's "proof". 😂
I simply copied and pasted something you desperately needed since you clearly did not fully comprehend the words you used.

So now I haven't post "proof"...

The thing is I never claimed to provide proof of anything, only evidence that Samsung batts are apparently failing at significantly higher rates than their competitors.

That YT vid is fairly solid evidence of that in spite of your clearly biased denials.

Solid evidence that your whataboutisms have consistently failed counter.

Those whataboutisms being something that utterly failed to act as "counter"-evidence of Apple batteries suffering a similar failure rate as you intended.

So you're really going to pretend to have no Samsung bias at all?

Aren't you a mod over at Android Central?

Nope, no conflict of interest here at all. 😅

MayaUser

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2021
I had the fold 2 with this issue, it was my first samsung after S6...i asked them for refund even if it was outside warranty but they deny (they also wanted to give them my property for "further investigations" but of course evidence must be kept into your own hands for court)
Of course they weren't pleased and i had to take this to court. Bottom line, they had to pay a lot more than just refund me. If people would do this more often, companies would respect their customers more and more

Last edited:
Reactions: eltoslightfoot

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Nice attempt to move the goal-post, so now it's "proof". 😂
I simply copied and pasted something you desperately needed since you clearly did not fully comprehend the words you used.

So now I haven't post "proof"...

The thing is I never claimed to provide proof of anything, only evidence that Samsung batts are apparently failing at significantly higher rates than their competitors.

That YT vid is fairly solid evidence of that in spite of your clearly biased denials.

Solid evidence that your whataboutisms have consistently failed counter.

Those whataboutisms being something that utterly failed to act as "counter"-evidence of Apple batteries suffering a similar failure rate as you intended.

So you're really going to pretend to have no Samsung bias at all?

Aren't you a mod over at Android Central?

Nope, no conflict of interest here at all. 😅
yep no samsung bias here. Are you going to pretend to not have an Apple bias? Do you have an Android phone?

Your post was the one that said here is the evidense...you listed the YT as your "proof"

You have listed that YT video over and over again as your evidense or proof!

Oh and yes...I am on Android Central and No I am not a Mod....so what? What does that prove?

But then I am on AppleInsider and 9to5Mac and on CultofMac. Again so what? What does that prove?

talk about moving the goal posts over and over again.

So lets get it on record here...your claim is that Samsung batteries are failing at a higher rate than their competitors.
Your evidense or proof to back up your position is the YT video.
You have repeated said this in replies so you can't claim otherwise.

Again...when this all goes away...will you come back and admit you were wrong?

uller6

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
My 2013 MBP battery just swelled up like a balloon last week and destroyed the trackpad. My old LG phone battery swelled up and broke the screen, while I was on a phone call (c. 2007). My iPad 4 battery swelled up when it was 2 months old. My wife's Series 0 apple watch battery expanded and blew the screen off the watch when it was ~1 year old.

All Li-ion pouch cells are susceptible to swelling, but sure, some are worse than others.

Reactions: jamezr

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
lol...nope one video does not make evidense...it might be a starting point. But then those youtubers you listed...believe me if they really felt that way they would be broadcasting it on their channels and going on record with it.

Here’s one more from MKBHD.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas

Interesting. Users coming to the Alternatives to iOS section that hardly ever come... lol.

edit. Let me at least touch on the video…. Most of these popular content creators are bringing attention to the several phones they have in the drawer for which the average user couldn’t really relate. Not to defend Samsung here, but in this particular case most users tend trade in their previously used device for a new one.

But MKBHD made a good point if people have gadgets that are not being used.. it makes sense to properly recycle them.

Last edited:
Reactions: ian87w

bc 08

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2020
yep no samsung bias here. Are you going to pretend to not have an Apple bias? Do you have an Android phone?

Your post was the one that said here is the evidense...you listed the YT as your "proof"

You have listed that YT video over and over again as your evidense or proof!

Oh and yes...I am on Android Central and No I am not a Mod....so what? What does that prove?

But then I am on AppleInsider and 9to5Mac and on CultofMac. Again so what? What does that prove?

talk about moving the goal posts over and over again.

So lets get it on record here...your claim is that Samsung batteries are failing at a higher rate than their competitors.
Your evidense or proof to back up your position is the YT video.
You have repeated said this in replies so you can't claim otherwise.

Again...when this all goes away...will you come back and admit you were wrong?

It's entirely possible to have multiple biases, it's not necessarily an either or thing.
You can even have a pro smartphone manufacturer bias.
Perhaps you regularly genuflect at the altar of multi-billion or multi-trillion corporations?
Who can say...
Your almost pathological need to dismiss this EVIDENCE as a non-issue before it is allowed to play out absolutely, conclusively highlights a bias.

No goal-posts have been moved on my end, again you're clearly using terms you don't actually know the meaning of.

I was informed you are a mod over on Android Central, apparently that person was wrong or you lost mod status.
It's irrelevant to the core issue here but it IS relevant to your claims of being totally unbiased.

I've owned 6 Android phones, I own none currently in-service.
I do still have my (USA-made) Moto X and my Nexus 6 being the only ones I didn't trade-in -- batteries still in un-swollen condition I might add.

Judging by the amount of additional coverage the issue has gotten in the last 2 days it does not appear to be dying on the vine as of yet.

But like I ALREADY SAID -- I'll come back here in 6 months and we'll see how it played out.

If Samsung admits they do have a battery QC issue will YOU come back to this thread and admit YOU were wrong?

Last edited:

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles

All these youtubers are telling us is due to their negligence and not following OEM guidelines on storage they have managed to damage their devices

Given the so called evidence to date is 60% have seen more Samsung devices where 40% have seen a mix of OEMS in what appears an extremely low sample set of abuse.

Although from a safety perspective the only tolerable number is 0 incidences, however all should understand the principle of practicable when it comes to safety and risk assessment

I always cringe when Apple promotes they save lives in their presentations, yet totally ignore the statistics on accidents and fatalities occurring from using iPhones and AW's :rolleyes:

To note some general printed and possibly accepted numbers:
  • The Samsung Note 7 fire issue is believed to have affected less that 100 units out of 2.5 million units shipped
  • The Apple MacBook 15 fire issue is noted to be limited number (Probably similar to the Note 7 ratio)
  • Of the billions of L-ion products out there around 2000 serious incidences are reported each year
  • The risk of L-ion device catching fire is put at 1 in 10000000

MKBHD only seemed to redeem himself at the end by noting safe disposal of unused devices should be practised.

This about sums up the technical expertise of these reviewers/influencers who should know the manuals and documentation more so than the common user and follow the guidelines.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
All these youtubers are telling us is due to their negligence and not following OEM guidelines on storage they have managed to damage their devices
I mean, it seems like a stretch that YouTubers are storing all their other smartphones under better conditions than their Samsung phones? I would assume they are being kept in a storage box somewhere, under pretty much similar conditions.

Either way, non-issue for me, since I don't have any Samsung phones in the house.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
I mean, it seems like a stretch that YouTubers are storing all their other smartphones under better conditions than their Samsung phones? I would assume they are being kept in a storage box somewhere, under pretty much similar conditions.

Either way, non-issue for me, since I don't have any Samsung phones in the house.
Nope it would appear the reviewer is likely negligent to all his devices given the OEM guidelines for storage of their devices are all very similar

Further more and my appols in advance if I over presume but you are likely not impacted as like the vast majority of us do no not keep old devices

The trouble is with this somewhat miss information being portrayed which MKBHD did try to advise to a degree, is it can happen to any device.

Even the original youtuber noted that 40% said many OEM's and of the remaining 60% some said it was mostly Samsung and others said I can only remember Samsung, so it's likely closer to 50/50 than we think and Apple are in there as also swelling as they too as likely have been stored incorrectly.

So sorry this youtuber is click bait portrayal of his own limited data and has voided any claims by admitting he has likely exceeded storage temperatures and failed to maintain recommended charge levels

He has placed popularity in front of the true message that should be portrayed to all:-

• Be mindful of any old device storage state and condition
  • Follow OEM recommendations for storage
  • It's best to dispose or recycle old devices through approved channels

bassexpander

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2022
It will be interesting to find out if phones which are charged at least once and a while do not have these issues. Perhaps long term storage at XX% is bad? We're still making use of an old A8Star and my wife's old S9 Plus for occasional tasks, so they do see charges every week or two.

Incidentally, the S9 Plus was only changed-out for another phone 3 months ago because the screen went unexplainably wacky on it (but if I run it at near-full brightness, it functions OK). I have been using it as a second camera for Zoom/WebEx at the back of the classroom. i can dial the display down, and it disappears, then I have to guess where the brightness bar is to raise it so the screen is visible, again *laugh*. I wonder if the battery underneath caused an issue?

Reactions: SteveJUAE

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
It's entirely possible to have multiple biases, it's not necessarily an either or thing.
You can even have a pro smartphone manufacturer bias.
Perhaps you regularly genuflect at the altar of multi-billion or multi-trillion corporations?
Who can say...
Your almost pathological need to dismiss this EVIDENCE as a non-issue before it is allowed to play out absolutely, conclusively highlights a bias.

No goal-posts have been moved on my end, again you're clearly using terms you don't actually know the meaning of.

I was informed you are a mod over on Android Central, apparently that person was wrong or you lost mod status.
It's irrelevant to the core issue here but it IS relevant to your claims of being totally unbiased.

I've owned 6 Android phones, I own none currently in-service.
I do still have my (USA-made) Moto X and my Nexus 6 being the only ones I didn't trade-in -- batteries still in un-swollen condition I might add.

Judging by the amount of additional coverage the issue has gotten in the last 2 days it does not appear to be dying on the vine as of yet.

But like I ALREADY SAID -- I'll come back here in 6 months and we'll see how it played out.

If Samsung admits they do have a battery QC issue will YOU come back to this thread and admit YOU were wrong?
you continue to move the goal posts...evidence or proof everything to cloud the issue. You still have not provided any evidence and collaboration to substantiate your position.
All you have it one YT video. If this was an issue as you claim there would be others to come forward with collaborating evidence to support this. But you have nada...

then to show your bias...you turn a blind eye to all the supporting evidence and proof this happens to Apple.
Myself and others have posted as much evidence to show iPhone batteries and laptop have had batteries expand and explode. But you only seem to be concerned when it happens to Samsung. Some how your brand of choice gets a pass.

1664595172390.jpeg

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US

Here is an iPhone about to explode.....
Google is your friend as I found a LOT of videos and pages about iPhones batteries swelling and expanding and catching fire

Maybe Apple has a battery issue..... Laptops and iphones are exploding and catching fire.

Even the FAA banned certain MacBook Pros from flights

"The Federal Aviation Administration banned certain 15-inch MacBook Pro laptops from coming aboard flights after Apple issued a recall. The batteries in the affected laptops can overheat, causing them to swell and possibly ignite."

bassexpander

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2022
I happily run both Apple and Android phones daily. I don’t have bias. The videos about the Samsung battery problem are in reference to multiple models of Samsung phones by several well-known tech tubers. The pattern is certainly there, and worthy of further investigation. With other manufacturers, including Apple, it seems models with battery problems are not so commonplace.

I am not so concerned about 4+ year-old phones doing this, so long as people understand the possibility. I am quite worried by models like the Samsung Fold 2, which is not so old, showing the same issue.

I feel if Samsung gets a message out ahead of this, assuming they’re not too late already, all will be OK. They need to be honest about batteries in aging phones and offer replacement batteries for a very low price or free depending on the age of the phone. At the very least, on an older phone, they should be able to provide a discount on a new phone with trade should the battery expand.

As referenced in the video, the batteries do have a number on them, which shows how many years the battery supposed to be usable. Perhaps that could provide a basis for a cut off as to when they will allow no more compensation. Clearly, some of these batteries are not meeting the expected life dates.

bc 08

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2020
then to show your bias...you turn a blind eye to all the supporting evidence and proof this happens to Apple.
Myself and others have posted as much evidence to show iPhone batteries and laptop have had batteries expand and explode. But you only seem to be concerned when it happens to Samsung. Some how your brand of choice gets a

It’s genuinely comical that you still believe singular, random examples of Apple batteries failing is any kind of excuse for ONLY Samsung batteries failing at high percentages in several collections that consist of most of the popular brands/models of smartphones.

It seems you still don’t understand the basic concept of sample size and failure rate…
Or maybe you do and just can’t see past your bias.

Unsurprisingly You also didn’t answer my question.

Last edited:
Reactions: Berries-A-Million

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020

Shame on Samsung for taking some of his Samsung phones back then ghosting him. Basically destroying evidence but luckily he had more Samsung phones with the same issue.

Lastly shame on some of the other tech journalists who witnessed the same phenomenon but never talked about it because they were afraid Samsung would blacklist them and not send them review units in the future.
This is not unusual for lithium-ion batteries. My iPhone 6s had the same thing happen--twice. I first noticed the screen had a small separation from the body when I was having lunch with a friend and had put my phone on the table. This was replaced. Then it happened again a year later with the replacement model. My MacBook Pro (2017) has been working fine and then during the first year of being constantly plugged in (due to WFH in pandemic times) the battery started expanding without me noticing it until a bit later.

Zito Abroad

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2019
Imagine the insecurity one must have to see a video on a manufacturer you most likely are bitter about, then quickly running to the section of a forum you never contribute to, and posting that video. Lol.

Here's a video for better understanding.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.