Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I am actually not sure I concider this a positive concidering how buggy the last beta was/is. Hopefully they have worked out the issues, but I definitely could have used a couple more betas. Hope they didn't release what will turn out to just be anogher beta as a "finished product."
we can't ding them for being prompt now can we? I mean one of the biggest knocks on Android and Samsung was lack of security updates and OS updates.
They seem to be correcting that...for now lol.
But i would expect to see some bugs from the Android 10 update. I haven't seen an OS update yet without a fair share of bugs....

Killbynumbers

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2019
I installed 10 on my S10+ Sunday night and used it for a day until I realized that something has changed. I used the paid version of Adguard and with it blocking ads, it no longer allows an app I use for my job to function. I turn off Adguard and the app works.

I have another S10+ that isn't upgraded yet that I'm using that's working for on Pie. It too automatically downloaded the 10 update but I hid the prompts with Autonotification.

I don't care about all these gestures other people are so excited about, I do things the old way with the navigation buttons and I don't think I even know what any of the gestures are.

I might hold off on upgrading my Note 10+ when the time comes as well.

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
Samsung’s improves response time to updating is one of the reasons I’m going to get a S11 plus or Note 11 next year. The hardware will be immense. Camera improvements were noticeable in the Note and should get even better with the new hardware. One UI is easily the best android skin next to OxygenOS. And now they’re finally getting onboard with faster updates. Samsung are killing it this past year.

Reactions: jamezr

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
we can't ding them for being prompt now can we? I mean one of the biggest knocks on Android and Samsung was lack of security updates and OS updates.
They seem to be correcting that...for now lol.
But i would expect to see some bugs from the Android 10 update. I haven't seen an OS update yet without a fair share of bugs....
Prompt is good when you can be resonably sure you have your s*** together. But based on the latest beta, it didn't seem all that close and based on Samsung's typical BS responses to any issue of "Please try clearing the system cache and rebooting your device" it is hard to determine what if anything they have done to resolve reported issues.

Edit: I didn't mind the fair share of bugs with the Beta program, you of course expect that. But I am genuinely surprised that they released a non-Beta version already based on my own beta experience

I don't know if I need to disenroll from Beta to try to official release, but I have not received any updates to replace the latest beta update yet.

Fingers crossed that it is better than the ZSL5 beta was/is :)

Last edited:

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
Samsung’s improves response time to updating is one of the reasons I’m going to get a S11 plus or Note 11 next year. The hardware will be immense. Camera improvements were noticeable in the Note and should get even better with the new hardware. One UI is easily the best android skin next to OxygenOS. And now they’re finally getting onboard with faster updates. Samsung are killing it this past year.

They've made huge improvements indeed. They've really picked up the pace with security updates with fewer and fewer slip-ups and also the major update delivery has become about 3 months faster. The hardware is great and Samsung's version of Android is stable and the additions are typically useful.

However, there's one thing that I'd still like to see and if we actually get it, upgrading my S10+ will be a no-brainer. That thing is an option for DC dimming like we're seeing as an experimental feature on some Chinese brands such as OnePlus. I've noticed that my eyes have become at least somewhat sensitive to OLED's PWM flickering. It was actually the reason I got rid of my Tab S6 that was otherwise awesome as I couldn't use it more than a few minutes at a time before my eyes were watering like crazy and I was feeling really tired with some occasional headaches as well. After the Tab S6 was replaced by an iPad, I realized I still get some of the symptoms with my S10+ as well, although often in a less severe fashion (probably) thanks to the smaller size of the screen. To figure out whether it's the screen technology or the amount I use my phone, I upgraded my iPhone 8 to an iPhone 11 (the plain one with LCD, as I figured out that if the S10+ PWM is giving me some symptoms, I better stay clear from the iPhone Pro PWM as some people here have had pretty severe issues with that) to go along with the S10+, and it seems like the more I use the iPhone 11 LCD, the more I notice the PWM eye strain when I pick up my S10+. It isn't anything pronounced like an instant headache or feeling like someone's stabbing me in the eye, but I do notice an increased strain and discomfort that wasn't there when looking at an LCD screen.

I really wish the S10+ had the option to switch to DC dimming when needed so that I could give my eyes a break from the PWM flickering when color accuracy isn't that necessary (that's why DC dimming is typically not used by default on OLED displays as it can often make colors appear a little bit off), but I could still switch to the regular PWM functionality when I need to review photos for their color balance etc. A toggle in the quick settings would be awesome, but at this point I'd take a switch buried deep in advanced settings behind a "Beware of the Leopard" sign as well as it would make it easier for me to actually use the phone I prefer for most tasks. The iPhone 11 is a fine device, but for my use there are many scenarios where my S10+ is superior, and I'm afraid there will be one more advantage for the S10+ thanks to the better integration with Windows machines once my new work laptop (a ThinkPad X1 Carbon) arrives. A MacBook Air was also available as a choice, but it's currently too slow for my work and unfortunately still ruined by the butterfly keyboard as well.

Of course I could get a OnePlus 7T and enable the DC dimming option available there, but doing that would take me from monthly security updates to bi-monthly updates if I'm lucky and the camera would be worse as well. That combination is a huge no-no for me, so I really wish Samsung could help out here.

EDIT: Oh wow, seems like I misinterpreted (to put it mildly) which phone was causing me eye strain when I was alternating between the S10+ and the iPhone 11: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...r.2150554/page-18?post=28101112#post-28101112

But even though it seems like the S10+ is giving me less issues than the iPhone 11, it would still be nice to have the DC dimming option as it's possible that the iPhone 11 issue is caused by the FaceID IR blasters and especially in a dim environment I'd like to avoid PWM flicker altogether.

Last edited:

FlyingDutch

macrumors 65816
Aug 21, 2019
Eindhoven (NL)
Reactions: jamezr

MarkX

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2015
Fochabers, Scotland
According to the Samsung Members app the UK S10/Note10 won’t be receiving the Android 10 update until January 2020.

It was January this year the S9 etc got the Pie update so they haven’t really improved anything for us here.

FlyingDutch

macrumors 65816
Aug 21, 2019
Eindhoven (NL)
Amazon evidently has em on discount again if you're interested!

In Europe I bought one at €250 discount at MediaMarkt...
Samsung official prices are quite ridiculous today as you can easily find them even in stores at 150/200€ discount.
So far I’m very happy about the S10e, a big upgrade from my previous A50.

Reactions: Expos of 1969
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.