Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
Samsung on top of updates again. The S20 line is already being updated to One UI 2.5 with a lot of features that came with the Note 20.

One of the features I've been waiting for his here. Ability to use native Android gestures with 3rd party launchers like Nova.
That is a game changer. Really annoyed me when I had the S20+.

Reactions: SDColorado

Six0Four

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2020
Wow I got a really messed up iPhone 8 Plus a few years ago. But most of my Apple products have been exemplary out of the box. It was Samsung I had QC issues with. The S20 series is really nice, though. Congratulations on your new phone. I hope you enjoy it.

Thanks. Just make sure not to shine a light on your cameras unless you want to see a small piece of debris.

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
That is a game changer. Really annoyed me when I had the S20+.

I thought so too...at first. I think Android (not Samsung) has an issue with the code for 3rd party launchers gestures. When going back to the home screen, there's an additional screen draw. You can't see it but if you try to go home and then quickly open another app the touch won't register. It's bad enough that I've switched back to 3 button swipe gestures with one handed app for back from the sides. It's much faster.

• Sad
Reactions: Harthag

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Today's One UI 2.5 update for my S20+ has given me enough reasons to skip the Note20 range and wait out for the next S flagship (especially for the UK Exynos models).

Excited to say.. we now have the full wireless DeX functionality among all the other Note20 range goodies! Thanks Samsung!
emoji106.png

Just updated my S20 ultra and tried Wireless Dex. It's amazing.

Ixon2001

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2017
Wigan UK
Well on Sunday went to Curry's with the Wife while she got a new phone Samsung A71, now i have a iPhone SE 2020 that I've been more than happy with and I've always said i would never spend more than £500 on a phone, but after looking at the Ultra and the Wife egging me on to spend some money for once & stop being a tight fisted git, I ended up walking out with the Note 20 Ultra 5G, Galaxy Buds Live & the Samsung Galaxy Watch Active 2 44mm, £400+ for the new Samsung watch was pushing it as i was already sweating hence i didn't get it, I also upgraded my sim only deal to 5G ready for when it finally hits my area.

Anyways here it is still getting use to the size of it, makes my SE 2020 tiny in comparison.

Lol edit posted it in the wrong thread.

photo_2020-09-13_18-19-49.jpg

yui4

macrumors 65816
May 26, 2011
Well on Sunday went to Curry's with the Wife while she got a new phone Samsung A71, now i have a iPhone SE 2020 that I've been more than happy with and I've always said i would never spend more than £500 on a phone, but after looking at the Ultra and the Wife egging me on to spend some money for once & stop being a tight fisted git, I ended up walking out with the Note 20 Ultra 5G, Galaxy Buds Live & the Samsung Galaxy Watch Active 2 44mm, £400+ for the new Samsung watch was pushing it as i was already sweating hence i didn't get it, I also upgraded my sim only deal to 5G ready for when it finally hits my area.

Anyways here it is still getting use to the size of it, makes my SE 2020 tiny in comparison.

Lol edit posted it in the wrong thread.

View attachment 955228
That woman is a keeper mate.

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
I'm thinking about buying an S20 if it has a good Black Friday discount this year. The only hold up I have right now is third-party launcher use.

I've watched videos on YouTube, but it still isn't clear to me how smoothly gestures work with launchers. I've seen some comments about weird glitches in certain places, such as pulling up the list of apps when at the home screen.

Are there still weird glitches that makes it feel different than the stock launcher? Do you lose the animations seen when using the stock launcher?

If there are still issues with 2.5, has anyone tried the 3.0 beta to see if things are any better?

unclejamaal

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2010
So I ordered an S20 FE via a black friday deal on Samsung.com. Worked out at around £435 via trade in and vouchers. Great deal but I'm having second thoughts as since ordering have read about the virtual proximity sensor issue, where the phone screen doesn't go off when close to your ear and face.

Anyone experienced this issue.? How annoying is it? I can still return the phone so have time to think over this or the oneplus 8t

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
So I ordered an S20 FE via a black friday deal on Samsung.com. Worked out at around £435 via trade in and vouchers. Great deal but I'm having second thoughts as since ordering have read about the virtual proximity sensor issue, where the phone screen doesn't go off when close to your ear and face.

Anyone experienced this issue.? How annoying is it? I can still return the phone so have time to think over this or the oneplus 8t
My Galaxy S10+ had that problem the entire time I had it and I never saw a fix for it so I traded it for a Note 10+ as soon as preorders went live. I am sorry if you’re having this problem, it’s awful. Once on a call my ear and cheek ended up trying to order airline tickets!

Samsung should not be having this issue again and I hope you’re able to get it resolved fast. If you’re within your return period i would return it rather than wait for a fix. Samsung can move slowly on things like that.

Reactions: unclejamaal

unclejamaal

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2010
My Galaxy S10+ had that problem the entire time I had it and I never saw a fix for it so I traded it for a Note 10+ as soon as preorders went live. I am sorry if you’re having this problem, it’s awful. Once on a call my ear and cheek ended up trying to order airline tickets!

Samsung should not be having this issue again and I hope you’re able to get it resolved fast. If you’re within your return period i would return it rather than wait for a fix. Samsung can move slowly on things like that.
Thanks for the reply. I'm within my return period and I'll be sending it back this week.

In actual fact I made a few calls and haven't had this issue, but I'm still sending it back because the battery life is awful. Used for a few short calls and a bit of net browsing and battery life down to 65% within a couple of hours. This isn't much better than my Samsung s8+.
I compared the cameras between the s8 plus and the s20fe camera is only slightly better. As a result the phone is going back and I'm keeping the s8+ for the moment.

Reactions: 5105973

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Thanks for the reply. I'm within my return period and I'll be sending it back this week.

In actual fact I made a few calls and haven't had this issue, but I'm still sending it back because the battery life is awful. Used for a few short calls and a bit of net browsing and battery life down to 65% within a couple of hours. This isn't much better than my Samsung s8+.
I compared the cameras between the s8 plus and the s20fe camera is only slightly better. As a result the phone is going back and I'm keeping the s8+ for the moment.
I’m sorry it didn’t work out for you.

You know, to this day I regret trading my S9+ away for the S10+. The S9+ had only one camera if I remember correctly, but it was really good. That phone was essentially flawless and I traded it away for what I thought would be a refinement on it with a more versatile camera system. But the Samsungs I’ve had since the S10+ have also actually given a hard time with my indoor pet photos.

And going to in display fingerprint sensor has killed my satisfaction with Samsung for now. Even on the rare occasions it works for me the slowness annoys me. The proximity sensor flakiness was the last straw.

My proximity sensor didn’t always fail, either. It was unpredictable.

Healer Flame

macrumors 68000
Feb 1, 2019
You know, to this day I regret trading my S9+ away for the S10+.

Glad i kept mine. Samsung offered $600 trade in if i preordered Note10+ but i changed my mind last minute. Youtube videos look lot lot better on S9+ than Note10+.

S9+ cost peanuts now days but its really great phone.

unclejamaal

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2010
I’m sorry it didn’t work out for you.

You know, to this day I regret trading my S9+ away for the S10+. The S9+ had only one camera if I remember correctly, but it was really good. That phone was essentially flawless and I traded it away for what I thought would be a refinement on it with a more versatile camera system. But the Samsungs I’ve had since the S10+ have also actually given a hard time with my indoor pet photos.

And going to in display fingerprint sensor has killed my satisfaction with Samsung for now. Even on the rare occasions it works for me the slowness annoys me. The proximity sensor flakiness was the last straw.

My proximity sensor didn’t always fail, either. It was unpredictable.

As I said, Ive not experienced the proximity sensor issue but many others have. A quick google reveals a few threads and users have raised the issue with Samsung, who have done absolutely nothing to solve this. If Apple had done this, it would have been all over the news and they would have been forced to take action. But for some reason, Samsung escapes such consequences just because they are 'not apple'. Such a basic thing you need to get right on a phone, and here they are, using a software based proximity sensor which doesnt work that well compared to a hardware based one, and somehow, passed all their testing before they put the phone out to market.

I'm looking at an iPhone 12 or possibly a Huawei as their battery life is just brilliant.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
As I said, Ive not experienced the proximity sensor issue but many others have. A quick google reveals a few threads and users have raised the issue with Samsung, who have done absolutely nothing to solve this. If Apple had done this, it would have been all over the news and they would have been forced to take action. But for some reason, Samsung escapes such consequences just because they are 'not apple'. Such a basic thing you need to get right on a phone, and here they are, using a software based proximity sensor which doesnt work that well compared to a hardware based one, and somehow, passed all their testing before they put the phone out to market.

I'm looking at an iPhone 12 or possibly a Huawei as their battery life is just brilliant.
iPhone 12 Pro Max battery is really good. Regular 12/12 Pro battery is ok but not great. I have a 12 mini now and don’t notice that much of a difference from the 12 and 12 Pro I briefly had.

I am glad you haven’t experienced the proximity sensor yourself but I’m frustrated with Samsung for letting this happen again to a new generation of phones. For the customers who have this issue, I know how problematic it can be.

I was supposed to ship my S20 to Apple in trade for my mini but Apple is giving only $270 for it. I paid around $400 or a little less after trading in a Note 10+

I have decided to keep the s20 and save it for a possibly more lucrative trade some other time. Or just keep it to keep a foot in with Samsung without having to give them more of my money.

There are times iCloud services act up and I am glad to have my Samsung mail. I do use it differently than I do an iPhone. I actually like this phone except for the 🤬 fingerprint sensor.

Reactions: unclejamaal

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Glad i kept mine. Samsung offered $600 trade in if i preordered Note10+ but i changed my mind last minute. Youtube videos look lot lot better on S9+ than Note10+.

S9+ cost peanuts now days but its really great phone.
Yeah I took that deal but for the S10+ which I genuinely meant to keep until the messed up proximity sensor ruined the experience for me. As did the wonky in display fps.

Videos on my S20 also look better than they did on my Note 10+. I did compare them while I had both for a few days. That Note 10+ and I didn’t gel as well as I’d hoped.

I don’t have any kind of buyer’s fatigue but I wish we could go back a couple of years and get back displays that didn’t induce eye strain, fingerprint scanners that just worked and headphone jacks that were convenient. Some people probably want even more like remote control zappers and user replaceable batteries.

As we move more toward a featureless slab of glass, I find myself unexpectedly inconvenienced and annoyed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.