Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yui4

macrumors 65816
May 26, 2011
I like Apple Face ID, just wish you didn’t have to swipe to open the phone. Samsung face unlock takes you straight to the home screen if you select that option

Reactions: jamezr

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
I like Apple Face ID, just wish you didn’t have to swipe to open the phone. Samsung face unlock takes you straight to the home screen if you select that option

I like how face unlock on the Pixel 4 gives the option to go straight to the home screen. IMO its the best implementation of face unlock so far. Faster than FaceID and just as accurate from my use.

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
Just sold my S20+ on Swappa along with new/sealed Buds+ and a Flip View cover I got for free from pre-order voucher but never used. It's been a fun few months with it. The finicky FPS, SMS messaging, and poor 3rd party password manager implementation (LastPass- sometimes it works, oftentimes I need to manually launch the app and even then, password prompts don't always pop up) annoyed me. LastPass worked much better on my Pixel 4 XL from what I recall. Also we just got a new puppy, iCloud shared photo albums, iMovie, among other iOS features are so nice when everyone in our lives uses iOS. I can't tell everyone to start using WeChat or Google Photos for everything...shame.

I think going forward my money will be spent on Apple flagship and mid-range Android, if anything. Samsung has come a long way in terms of software experience and security updates, I'm very impressed.

yui4

macrumors 65816
May 26, 2011
My husband’s three year old note 8 is on the June security patch. I was so shocked. Samsung are doing such a good job at keeping even their older devices updated.

does that still receive software updates (one ui) as well?

bbs008

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2020
anyone use a samsung watch? how do they compare to the apple watch? are they just as smooth and fluid? thinkin about picking one up with the galaxy watch 3 comin out next month

kkh786

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 25, 2013
United Kingdom
anyone use a samsung watch? how do they compare to the apple watch? are they just as smooth and fluid? thinkin about picking one up with the galaxy watch 3 comin out next month
I have had all the models of the Samsung Watch range to date.. just love the round dial design and the complete compatibility with Samsung phones.

Currently have a Galaxy Watch Active2 which is as smooth and fluid as any other wearable in the market. Not had a single issue since day one.

Note, I have also had Wear OS devices and an Apple watch in the pasts so I can compare.

The only place Apple beats the Active2 is third party apps. First party apps are as good as Apple with comparable sensor hardware selection.

I will be getting the forthcoming Galaxy Watch 3, just need to find a new home for my current Galaxy Watch Active2.

Mellofello808

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2010
I do miss my apple watch. It was actually the thing I missed the most switching over to Android full time. I really enjoyed their take on the fitness aspect, that delved a little deeper than a glorified pedometer.

That being said I am on year 4 of owning my gear S3, and to this day it is still getting meaningful updates, and functioning like new. It still gets much better battery life then the apple watch. I usually get around 2.5 days per charge.

As someone who religiously changes out my mobile tech, it is probably the longest lasting device that I haven't updated out of anything. Especially impressive since I am very rough on it.

At the end of the day all I really need is notifications on my wrist, and rudimentary fitness tracking. It achieves both with aplomb. I do also love the huge eco system of watchfaces.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
IMO it doesn’t compare but does the job well enough i would say.

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
I've had this phone since release and I've had zero lag or slowdowns. It's pretty easily the best Android phone I've used. I usually get a new phone in the fall but with the iPhone reportedly not including 120hz displays this year and the Pixel 5 being a complete wildcard, I may just keep this phone another year. It's a weird year for phones...and in general.

Reactions: yui4 and 5105973

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I've had this phone since release and I've had zero lag or slowdowns. It's pretty easily the best Android phone I've used. I usually get a new phone in the fall but with the iPhone reportedly not including 120hz displays this year and the Pixel 5 being a complete wildcard, I may just keep this phone another year. It's a weird year for phones...and in general.
Yeah it’s a weird year alright! My current main phone is the iPhone SE2, which is a geriatric design by smartphone standards.

My S20 is also still performing smoothly as my secondary. It’s my device I use for voice calls. 5G capability is sadly pointless, as there is none where I live nor will there be. So even though even Apple is putting that in there as a selling point, it means zero to me as an upgrade factor. If anything it makes these phones needlessly expensive at this point in time.

I would trade up for a better fingerprint scanner and honestly the camera isn’t as good as the one on my SE with certain kinds of “around the house” photos. I’m even getting a bit nostalgic for my S7 Edge camera.

If I could take a vacation, then I think it would blow me away with wide landscape photos. And manual pro mode is always fun. I can’t understand why the Pro iPhones don’t have a manual mode built in.

yui4

macrumors 65816
May 26, 2011
I flipped the pixel xl and have come back to an s20. Had the ultra previously but opted for a s20 plus this time. Really happy with it. Size is much better than the ultra.

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
My husband’s three year old note 8 is on the June security patch. I was so shocked. Samsung are doing such a good job at keeping even their older devices updated.

My S10+ is also constantly up to date with security patches. Kudos to Samsung for fixing what used to be a problem a couple of years ago. Too bad the Exynos variant is such bad this year compared to SnapDragon S20 devices that I haven't upgraded so far.
[automerge]1595103846[/automerge]
Yeah it’s a weird year alright! My current main phone is the iPhone SE2, which is a geriatric design by smartphone standards.

Hey, I'm also running the SE2 as my daily driver right now. I wanted something smaller and easier to handle for a change but the regular S20 was ruled out thanks to the underperforming Exynos chip and I just couldn't resist A13 + TouchID + compact size combo especially when also dual-SIM made it to the SE2. Out of curiosity, what pushed you from the 11 Pro I remember you having to the SE2?

Last edited:

satpak

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2013
California
Still waiting on that e-SIM option that Samsung promised everyone at the launch (blatant lie) and later, conveniently updated it’s website tech specs to state “Most Samsung phones support dual SIM functionality. The Galaxy S20 contain an eSIM inside the phone that can be used as the second SIM. The eSIM that is included on these devices is not currently supported in the United States”.

Still loving my iPhone 11.....which has e-SIM...

• Love
Reactions: LIVEFRMNYC

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Still waiting on that e-SIM option that Samsung promised everyone at the launch (blatant lie) and later, conveniently updated it’s website tech specs to state “Most Samsung phones support dual SIM functionality. The Galaxy S20 contain an eSIM inside the phone that can be used as the second SIM. The eSIM that is included on these devices is not currently supported in the United States”.

Still loving my iPhone 11.....which has e-SIM...
Are you sure that is not the US carriers fault and not Samsung

I noticed the same issue when the AW was released it was ages before it was widely available with LTE

I had the same issue here in Malaysia yet I just walked in to True in Thailand and they just used their Apple reg system they have for e-sim and bingo no problem with my FOLD

Think you may need to be pointing your finger at the Telco's than Samsung :)

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
Android Police released their update rankings, which basically rates phones from 0-10 based on how many updates Android software updates they've received and how quickly they get them.

The S20 series is the only phone other than the Pixel to get a score of 10. But some people still criticize Samsung for their slow software updates. Usually the same people that still use the term "Lagwiz".

Reactions: MarkX
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.