Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Still waiting on that e-SIM option that Samsung promised everyone at the launch (blatant lie) and later, conveniently updated it’s website tech specs to state “Most Samsung phones support dual SIM functionality. The Galaxy S20 contain an eSIM inside the phone that can be used as the second SIM. The eSIM that is included on these devices is not currently supported in the United States”.

Still loving my iPhone 11.....which has e-SIM...

I was just about to post this. I'm in the same boat. Got tired of carrying around both the S20 Ultra and Pro Max. I been using my main sim and e-sim on the Pro Max for the past several months, and now find it hard to go back to two phones.

This is basically the ONLY reason I didn't jump on the Note 20 pre-order. I'm probably going to waste presidents on the Fold 2 instead. I've been curious about folding display phones for long enough.

Reactions: 5105973 and jamezr

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I was just about to post this. I'm in the same boat. Got tired of carrying around both the S20 Ultra and Pro Max. I been using my main sim and e-sim on the Pro Max for the past several months, and now find it hard to go back to two phones.

This is basically the ONLY reason I didn't jump on the Note 20 pre-order. I'm probably going to waste presidents on the Fold 2 instead. I've been curious about folding display phones for long enough.
I have started the Note 20 pre-order process twice already only to cancel. I want to see what the Fold 2 or Surface Duo have to offer first.

satpak

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2013
California
Are you sure that is not the US carriers fault and not Samsung

I noticed the same issue when the AW was released it was ages before it was widely available with LTE

I had the same issue here in Malaysia yet I just walked in to True in Thailand and they just used their Apple reg system they have for e-sim and bingo no problem with my FOLD

Think you may need to be pointing your finger at the Telco's than Samsung :)

So how are Apple & Google able to make their e-SIMs work in the US and not Samsung? If it’s a carrier issue, then as a consumer, I’d like that to be made crystal clear. Not with some murky, fake statements. Make statements only if the company is 101% sure. Else, cut the c**p and if it ever goes live later through a software update, then put out a statement, “Guess what? your $1000 device is now e-SIM capable. Enjoy”. I like Apple in that regard.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
So how are Apple & Google able to make their e-SIMs work in the US and not Samsung? If it’s a carrier issue, then as a consumer, I’d like that to be made crystal clear. Not with some murky, fake statements. Make statements only if the company is 101% sure. Else, cut the c**p and if it ever goes live later through a software update, then put out a statement, “Guess what? your $1000 device is now e-SIM capable. Enjoy”. I like Apple in that regard.
I understand it is clearly noted not yet available in US the same with Apple you have to search which carriers are supporting e-sim even in the US

Generally it's the Carriers in control not the OEM which is my case in Malaysia but there does seem some extra oddity in the US with the Fold/Flip/S20's

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014

This seems to be the direction my husband is going in, too. He prefers iPhone as his main phone these days. For his second line he’s got a growing interest in the Fold2.

Reactions: LIVEFRMNYC

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
This seems to be the direction my husband is going in, too. He prefers iPhone as his main phone these days. For his second line he’s got a growing interest in the Fold2.
I want to carry on with my pro max and note ultra but the wife has shot that down saying you can only use one phone. So when the note ultra arrives I will be trying it as my daily driver with the galaxy watch 3. Will see how it goes. The Apple Watch and pro Max will stay in my bag for now though..

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 5105973 and yui4

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I want to carry on with my pro max and note ultra but the wife has shot that down saying you can only use one phone. So when the note ultra arrives I will be trying it as my daily driver with the galaxy watch 3. Will see how it goes. The Apple Watch and pro Max will stay in my bag for now though..
Omg I can’t imagine my reaction or my husband’s if either of us told the other in regards to phones:

3F692F43-0088-4E89-8EE3-D2AB09E21D7F.jpeg

Well, actually I CAN imagine the reaction:

8AEA06BB-8CCA-42E3-BDEE-45A80813996E.png

Edited to add not casting shade on your wife. Just emphasizing our family addiction!

Last edited:

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
Omg I can’t imagine my reaction or my husband’s if either of us told the other in regards to phones:

View attachment 942913

View attachment 942915
Haha! Sounds like congratulations are in order on a happy marriage :D Not gonna complain about my relationship but my girlfriend does roll with MacLeod on this... I'm currently plotting to switch my 11 Pro for a 12 Max AND a smaller iPhone, probably won't get away with the smallest one as it'll be rather pricy but maybe maaaaybe a 2020 SE. Or very worst case a nice used 8. Or maybe I just get decapitated for trying lol.

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
Haha! Sounds like congratulations are in order on a happy marriage :D Not gonna complain about my relationship but my girlfriend does roll with MacLeod on this... I'm currently plotting to switch my 11 Pro for a 12 Max AND a smaller iPhone, probably won't get away with the smallest one as it'll be rather pricy but maybe maaaaybe a 2020 SE. Or very worst case a nice used 8. Or maybe I just get decapitated for trying lol.

Luckily my wife either understands my addiction or just doesn't care :D She'll sometimes say "Ok kids, let's go out for a trip so I can get out of the house and daddy gets to test the camera on whatever phone he's carrying this week."

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
My wife is similar but doesn't insist (yet). I just bought the SE2 to complement my 11 Pro Max. She settled down a bit when I agreed to buy her a 2nd screen that attaches to her laptop for work, haha. Not to mention I bought her an 11 Pro Max last year and sold her 11 because she thought "the screen is too narrow", which I remind her of regularly when she gets on me about cell phones.

I am planning on getting the iPhone 12 / Pro, I told her long ago that one of my hobbies is buying cell phones. Been eyeing the A71 5G as well...

yui4

macrumors 65816
May 26, 2011
Luckily my wife either understands my addiction or just doesn't care :D She'll sometimes say "Ok kids, let's go out for a trip so I can get out of the house and daddy gets to test the camera on whatever phone he's carrying this week."
Same here. My wife will only use an iPhone, tech doesn’t bother her at all. She jokes about my phone addiction but doesn’t care or get involved.

the fact I buy her a new iPhone every year probably contributes to the above

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I think the reason my husband and I are okay with the proliferation of smartphones in our house, besides the fact we share this obsession with them, is we don’t really spend money on anything else the last few years. We always had a gadget budget and stuck to it.

Also we are just at the right time in life to be this silly with the phones. It was a confluence of my husband finally making it to his career/salary goals just as smart phones were getting super interesting! There was a bit of a income setback this year due to Covid but we are still doing okay because other expenses dropped also due to Covid. We save a fortune on fuel now, for example.

Frankly, it also helps I’m a tomboy. My friends spend a lot of money on cosmetics, fashion, and salon stuff. The amounts those things cost frankly stagger me. 😧 But it’s worth it for them because they’re gorgeous women. I accepted quite happily that I look like the back end of a moose and that my money would be more fulfilling spent on phones. 🤣

That’s not to say we go crazy with our money. We seek out deals and apply trade-ins.

Even so, trading my S20 for the Note 20 Ultra just isn’t a good idea this year. As I’ve said before, I am waiting for a different FPS.

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
My partner gets my hand me downs (probably why I don't care about resale value) so no complaints from her.

One phone a year, I'm a good boy I deserve it.

But now I want a new tablet and watch ?

Reactions: jamezr and Harthag

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Thing is my wife said ok you can have two phones but i‘m having two phones too...and when i say why you don’t like tech? Well if you are I’ am.

i must confess though think i would struggle with two devices to use them equally. Will see though if i sell my iphone it won’t be til October when iOS 14 is no longer a beta.

i did tell her though that when i ordered the galaxy watch i got the s7+ free. Minor lie.
[automerge]1597138744[/automerge]

View attachment 942913

View attachment 942915
Edited to add not casting shade on your wife. Just emphasizing our family addiction!
Ha well she has said if i have two she will have too even though she has no interest in tech ha

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
Thing is my wife said ok you can have two phones but i‘m having two phones too...and when i say why you don’t like tech? Well if you are I’ am.

i must confess though think i would struggle with two devices to use them equally. Will see though if i sell my iphone it won’t be til October when iOS 14 is no longer a beta.

i did tell her though that when i ordered the galaxy watch i got the s7+ free. Minor lie.
[automerge]1597138744[/automerge]

Ha well she has said if i have two she will have too even though she has no interest in tech ha

I am definitely interested to see how this experiment goes for you. LOL. Leaving Apple is hard. I almost pulled the trigger on the Note 20 Ultra myself but just couldn’t go through with it. Mostly because the whole process of selling everything sucks.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I am definitely interested to see how this experiment goes for you. LOL. Leaving Apple is hard. I almost pulled the trigger on the Note 20 Ultra myself but just couldn’t go through with it. Mostly because the whole process of selling everything sucks.

The only thing where I will lose money on will be Apple Watch where most I could get for this is £269-£280. SS models don’t hold up well when selling. Can get £680 for my pro max but I have no plans on selling it just yet

Certainly not leaving the ecosystem completely as will still use my Air pods pro, iPad Pro 12.9 and Apple TV.

I sell my Apple Watch every year anyway though so it’s no different to normal.

Will see how it goes

marshallbedsaul

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2007
Utah
Well my iPhone XS Max screen decided to spaz out, and Best Buy couldn’t get me a new phone asap. So After much debate I ordered a ultra I wanted the new note. But my previous notes never used the stylus.

any tips or tricks I should know ?

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
Samsung on top of updates again. The S20 line is already being updated to One UI 2.5 with a lot of features that came with the Note 20.

One of the features I've been waiting for his here. Ability to use native Android gestures with 3rd party launchers like Nova.

kkh786

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 25, 2013
United Kingdom
Today's One UI 2.5 update for my S20+ has given me enough reasons to skip the Note20 range and wait out for the next S flagship (especially for the UK Exynos models).

Excited to say.. we now have the full wireless DeX functionality among all the other Note20 range goodies! Thanks Samsung!

Reactions: SDColorado

Six0Four

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2020
Picked up the S20+ on Amazon. For $730 i thought ah what the hell. Tried Apple for a year and every single Apple product i got (multiple of each) there was a quality control issue. Phones all had debris in under the glass of the front of back cameras, same with the ipad pros and the Macbook pro's all had light leaking from the gasket along the edge.

I'm gonna keep my iphone and airpods in a drawer just in case. So far the s20+ is awesome. Waiting on the 12.4" S7+ tablet too ..

• Wow
Reactions: 5105973

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Picked up the S20+ on Amazon. For $730 i thought ah what the hell. Tried Apple for a year and every single Apple product i got (multiple of each) there was a quality control issue. Phones all had debris in under the glass of the front of back cameras, same with the ipad pros and the Macbook pro's all had light leaking from the gasket along the edge.

I'm gonna keep my iphone and airpods in a drawer just in case. So far the s20+ is awesome. Waiting on the 12.4" S7+ tablet too ..
Wow I got a really messed up iPhone 8 Plus a few years ago. But most of my Apple products have been exemplary out of the box. It was Samsung I had QC issues with. The S20 series is really nice, though. Congratulations on your new phone. I hope you enjoy it.

Reactions: Garen and Six0Four
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.