Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ryanwarsaw

macrumors 68030
Apr 7, 2007
Well, the days of the $800 smartphone are dwindling. Apple isn't even as good as they once were because of the lack of software features, more hardware issues, etc. Even Apple made the SE, which is so unlike them because since when do they offer flagship (their flagship) specs to a cheaper price point? The ZTE Axon and OP3 are disrupting the flagship mobile market.

Let's hope so. As I said in another thread it is beginning to feel like somebody is trying to sell me a $1,500 VHS machine. The technology is no longer new and shouldn't incur bleeding edge prices these days. It would be great one day to have a phone that is easily backed up as todays smartphones are and if you lose it you don't have to contemplate suicide because of the cost of replacing it.

Also it would be easier to jump back and forth between different makers if they were relatively cheaper than the good phones are now.

Reactions: Demo Kit and nviz22

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
i expect even the 2017 iphone might be heading this way too

This news will play hell with glass screen protectors.

S7/E owners couldn't find very many good choices out there and I hoped the S8 would continue to have a flat screen.

A film protector isn't as good as glass. I have the latter.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
i expect even the 2017 iphone might be heading this way too
I think you are right. It is time for the screen protector companies to keep up with technology and develop screen protectors to match the curved displays without the "halo effect" we get now.

Reactions: 5105973

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
The iPhone 7 will likely feature a pressure sensitive home button with haptic feedback (to simulate a click).

It's high time Samsung moves away from physical home buttons, too. The rest of the Android world has (OnePlus 3 in particular seems to have it down really well with its capacitive home button. Ditto HTC). Once Apple does this, too, Samsung will have no more excuse.

We should see it in the S8. Down with physical home buttons.
[doublepost=1470669968][/doublepost]
IDK......if the Note 7 sells well with just the curved model. We might see Samsung only make curved phones from here on out.....
EDit:
saw this....
http://www.neowin.net/news/samsung-...eries-handsets-will-have-curved-edge-displays

I think it'll be a shame if Samsung doesn't continue offering a "regular" Galaxy S option. It's so nice seeing them provide a smaller handset that has little to no compromise to its bigger brethren. Samsung should not stop this tradition.

Having said that, as evidenced by the Note 7's new edge screens, the edge panel and technology can only get better from here (and hopefully the software, too) so if they do commit fully to edge displays -- that is, if the S8 regular also has an edge display and the S8 Edge is simply larger -- then I'd understand that move, too. As long as it continues getting more and more comfortable, addressing false touches, etc., then I'm onboard.

Can you imagine how compact a 5.2" S8 might be and feel with an edge panel?

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
This news will play hell with glass screen protectors.

S7/E owners couldn't find very many good choices out there and I hoped the S8 would continue to have a flat screen.

A film protector isn't as good as glass. I have the latter.

I think screen protectors will be used less and less as the screen/glass technology improves. For me to scratch my Note 5's screen I'd have to take a key and put some pressure on it. With all the abuse I throw at it, there isn't a scratch or blemish on it, and I use it naked. Gorilla Glass 5 is even better, and even touts being able to protect the phone from a shoulder height drop 80% of the time. I'm still waiting for sapphire displays though, although talk of this died out completely I'm hoping Apple steps up and puts sapphire finally in the iPhone 8.

Reactions: Demo Kit

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Samsung cannot rest on the momentum that they've built this year with the S7/Edge and Note 7. The rumored 10th anniversary Apple iPhone could be huge. They'll have to come out swinging as they did this year with the S8.

It doesn't mean they have to go crazy with the S8. I'm not expecting a crazy redesign or anything. Just minor refinements, new home button, keep improving TouchWiz, add USB-C, keep waterproofing and microSD, add and improve upon the IRIS scanner, keep pushing the wireless charging technology (contact-less charging?), and all the other obvious upgrades to SoC, camera (dual-camera time?), and maybe bump it up to 6GB (why not, right?)...

If they can achieve all that, and whatever else they might have up their sleeves, that'd be very fine.

EDIT: And keep the experimental foldable display out of the Galaxy S line until it's ready for prime time.

Last edited:

Kiezpirat80

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2013
Germany
I think screen protectors will be used less and less as the screen/glass technology improves. For me to scratch my Note 5's screen I'd have to take a key and put some pressure on it. With all the abuse I throw at it, there isn't a scratch or blemish on it, and I use it naked. Gorilla Glass 5 is even better, and even touts being able to protect the phone from a shoulder height drop 80% of the time. I'm still waiting for sapphire displays though, although talk of this died out completely I'm hoping Apple steps up and puts sapphire finally in the iPhone 8.
Rumours are apple has dropped sapphire glas because it breaks easier than gorilla glas, it's only good against scratches.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Samsung cannot rest on the momentum that they've built this year with the S7/Edge and Note 7. The rumored 10th anniversary Apple iPhone could be huge. They'll have to come out swinging as they did this year with the S8.

It doesn't mean they have to go crazy with the S8. I'm not expecting a crazy redesign or anything. Just minor refinements, new home button, keep improving TouchWiz, add USB-C, keep waterproofing and microSD, add and improve upon the IRIS scanner, keep pushing the wireless charging technology (contact-less charging?), and all the other obvious upgrades to SoC, camera (dual-camera time?), and maybe bump it up to 6GB (why not, right?)...

If they can achieve all that, and whatever else they might have up their sleeves, that'd be very fine.

EDIT: And keep the experimental foldable display out of the Galaxy S line until it's ready for prime time.
agree with everything you said and like to add.....put the wake/unlock FP scanner on the screen!

Reactions: epicrayban

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I would like to see the home button become capacitive. Comparing my S7 to the HTC 10, the HTC 10 gives instantaneous feedback whereas the press of the button on the S7 creates a small feeling of delay. So that's one thing I hope they do for the S8

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I would like to see the home button become capacitive. Comparing my S7 to the HTC 10, the HTC 10 gives instantaneous feedback whereas the press of the button on the S7 creates a small feeling of delay. So that's one thing I hope they do for the S8
Yep...my feelings too. I love the home/FP scanner buttons on the HTC 10 and OPO3. Nothing to push.

Reactions: Fireblade and MRU

frankgrimes

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2016

Please no, I can't stand on screen buttons would love to see the Active line idea make it to the S and Note series, i.e. all three buttons would be physical.

I don't understand Samsung's affection with curved screens, the glare is very visible even on the Note 7 and good luck if this thing needs to be repaired. I know they can charge a higher markup because they are the only ones capable of designing such a device but for me I prefer the flat screen.

What I'm expecting from the S 8 is simple:
- almost same design
- 4k display
- at least 5 gig of RAM
- bigger battery
- dual or triple camera technology
- aluminium instead of glass back
- removable battery!!! please

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
The S8 Edge needs to adopt (and improve even more upon, if possible) the Note 7's edge screen and design.

I just used the Note 7 and the refinements made really do make a difference. It's subtle, but hands down an improvement in nearly every way compared to the S7 Edge's screen.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Snapdragon 830 octa core?????
6gb is basically a given.
USB-C a given
4k AMOLED display is very likely
Iris Scanner is a given
I have a feeling they will bring the IR blaster back. It's highly requested.
Possible Bluetooth 5 ... BT5 is going to be a big thing
Change the Home Button

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Please no, I can't stand on screen buttons would love to see the Active line idea make it to the S and Note series, i.e. all three buttons would be physical.

The capacitive home button we are talking about is NOT on screen ;) It would be the same as the HTC 10 and similar to Nexus 6P fingerprint sensor

frankgrimes

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2016
The capacitive home button we are talking about is NOT on screen ;) It would be the same as the HTC 10 and similar to Nexus 6P fingerprint sensor
Ah ok but I like some feedback when pressing a button that's why typing on glass isn't so easy for me. Guess I'm spoiled thanks to mechanical keyboards

Reactions: Oohara

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
At the rate Samsung is going (with the note 7 refinements) and seeing the rumors so far for this year's iPhone and Nexus, I would have zero problems waiting for the s8 to come about next year instead.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I'm not so much tempted by the Note 7 than I am excited about the potential of the s8 in six months or so.

I quite like Samsung's release cycle, hopping between the galaxy and note lines.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Hard to believe any of it. Speaking of mid-range phones disrupting the market, ZTE made a nice phone released carrier specific to TMO's MPCS. It's been reviewed as a great phone except of its screen resolution and type, as well as being carrier specific. This is the competition Sammy and Apple need to create better products. $800 sounds ridiculous for a phone, but seeing as I get the most out of mine, I end up paying for it anyway.

frankgrimes

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2016
Well mid range flagship are getting really really good which is awesome because it pushes prices down and keeps Apple, Samsung on their heels.

I've seen a few tests were the note 7 beats the one plus three but the difference is very small.

I think the S8 will be the first to pack a 4k screen, sd 830 and hopefully an aluminium back or even better removable leather

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.