Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Speakers would be great.... But I'd give it up for streamlined software.

I think in 2017, this will really be a point of contention -- yes, even more so than before. Only because Android N finally brings stock Android up to speed in terms of features.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Resting on their laurels? The past two years with the S6/S7? I don't know; I see it differently.

Agree with you about HTC, but to be fair, HTC mostly has themselves to blame (e.g., Apple can get away with a 3 year design. HTC cannot). I do hope Samsung finds a way to get front firing dual speakers.

Relative to competitors, Samsung put in a lot more work. However, from an objective innovative standpoint, phones plateaued. Samsung's S6 disappointed: small battery, awful RAM management, heating problems, and no SD slot.

The S7 is great, but is missing out on the IR Blaster, dual speakers, cleaner software (relative to iOS), and is being out benchmarked by the competition. The safety issues and software bugs makes it not such a pleasant experience.
[doublepost=1473872374][/doublepost]
I think in 2017, this will really be a point of contention -- yes, even more so than before. Only because Android N finally brings stock Android up to speed in terms of features.

Why not both lol? Apple did it, at the cost of a headphone jack. :(:(

Reactions: epicrayban

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Resting on their laurels? The past two years with the S6/S7? I don't know; I see it differently.

Agree with you about HTC, but to be fair, HTC mostly has themselves to blame (e.g., Apple can get away with a 3 year design. HTC cannot). I do hope Samsung finds a way to get front firing dual speakers.

You can't have both FFS and a small bezel.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
You can't have both FFS and a small bezel.

I suppose this is true with the technology we have now. It'd be great if Samsung could figure out a way. If not, I guess they'll go with the same method HTC and Apple are doing stereo speakers.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
A 4K screen is unnecessary.

Samsung needs to concentrate on:

- less bloatware and closer to the Nexus support model

- wish they go to Exynos for US market (but they won't)

- stick to a flat front screen for the Galaxy (so we can still use glass protectors)

- 64gb base (I'd rather this than going to 4K screen)

- more battery (3000ma is a decent start but could be better)

- refine the camera (does a bit too much preprocessing under some conditions)

Samsung needs to recognize that now it's not about cramming more new features on their phones, but more about refining what they have. They already outclass Apple in many key areas, but they lag behind in product support, etc.

Also, they are too reliant on carriers to push the product...I'd love for them to release a true 'world' phone that had all the GSM and CDMA bands and made it available unlocked in the major markets.
*You act like Samsung cares about the Nexus support model.
*And the bloat could be less but they arent going to leave off their apps, Samsung Pay,or their app store.Either you can accept it or you cant. Doesnt bother me, i just dont use it and disable most of it.
*I dont care about a 4K screen but if it comes with it, why argue against it?
[doublepost=1473902151][/doublepost]
According to Sam-mobile, Samsung might be preparing to launch the s8 early, in response to the note 7 woes. Interesting.

Good or bad thing?

I honestly am unsure. The hardware will be killer, we know this. But I'd rather a late releass, hypothetically, then an early one if they took the time to optimize. Remove unnecessary bloat,allow android N to take over redundant features (multi window), and just fine too thr software.

I mean, seriously, take the HTC 10 and learn from that phone.

Also, optimizing and using only one chip would go a long way.
Im not getting one so it don't matter to me.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
*You act like Samsung cares about the Nexus support model.
*And the bloat could be less but they arent going to leave off their apps, Samsung Pay,or their app store.Either you can accept it or you cant. Doesnt bother me, i just dont use it and disable most of it.
*I dont care about a 4K screen but if it comes with it, why argue against it?
[doublepost=1473902151][/doublepost]
Im not getting one so it don't matter to me.

If you're not buying one or interested maybe in getting one, then why participate in this thread?

And I never said Samsung cared about Nexus... I was wishing support-wise, Samsung would take a page from Nexus' model.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
If you're not buying one or interested maybe in getting one, then why participate in this thread?

And I never said Samsung cared about Nexus... I was wishing support-wise, Samsung would take a page from Nexus' model.
Just because I dont plan to get one doesn't mean I can't talk about it or be interested in what it has in it even if it doesn't matter much to me at this time....if that's OK. I didn't plan to get a 7 either but when I broke my 6, it was cheaper to get one than fix it.
Personally I don't care for Nexus phones as much and don't care for the bloat but it is OK. I can deal with it and like I said, I can and do disable it. Nexus pure Android is kinda boring and their phones aren't as widely recognized ....for like connecting it on an airline. Samsung is recognized.

Last edited:

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
I don't think there will be a "regular" S8. All models will have the curved edges now, methinks.

Dual camera, great speakers.... That's pretty much all I want added to the S7!

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
Just because I dont plan to get one doesn't mean I can't talk about it or be interested in what it has in it even if it doesn't matter much to me at this time....if that's OK. I didn't plan to get a 7 either but when I broke my 6, it was cheaper to get one than fix it.
Personally I don't care for Nexus phones as much and don't care for the bloat but it is OK. I can deal with it and like I said, I can and do disable it. Nexus pure Android is kinda boring and their phones aren't as widely recognized ....for like connecting it on an airline. Samsung is recognized.

Sure...I can accept that the S8 may be off your buying radar but choose to talk of it. I'm don't buy every model iPhone. / grin/

Maybe the Nexus is boring; but I'd rather have a boring phone that excelled in all the basics (nice screen, great sound, long lasting battery, monthly updates, solid camera, etc) than a flashier phone that performed subpar in one of those same areas.

We all know Apple surrendered the crown to Samsung a while ago when it comes to delivering a phone packed with outstanding specs.

I'd like to see them now get the 'boring' things done right so they continue to gain market share and make money. It benefits both android and iOS when great phones from both camps are delivered.

Last edited:

mclld

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2012
Samsung needs to up their game on the finger print scanner, there are budget and mid range phones that have better scanners

Reactions: ryanwarsaw

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Samsung needs to up their game on the finger print scanner, there are budget and mid range phones that have better scanners

I have little to no issues with my finger print reader in the s7 edge. Faster is welcomed though.

mclld

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2012
Maybe it is better on the S7/Note 7 but on my Note 5 it doesnt seems to be as good as the Honor 5x I had

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
I don't think there will be a "regular" S8. All models will have the curved edges now, methinks.

That would be a real bummer. I've never had an Edge as I don't feel I need one with the minimul extras it gives... And they are more expensive. The regular Galaxy if just fine for me.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Sure...I can accept that the S8 may be off your buying radar but choose to talk of it. I'm don't buy every model iPhone. / grin/

Maybe the Nexus is boring; but I'd rather have a boring phone that excelled in all the basics (nice screen, great sound, long lasting battery, monthly updates, solid camera, etc) than a flashier phone that performed subpar in one of those same areas.

We all know Apple surrendered the crown to Samsung a while ago when it comes to delivering a phone packed with outstanding specs.

I'd like to see them now get the 'boring' things done right so they continue to gain market share and make money. It benefits both android and iOS when great phones from both camps are delivered.
Mine performs just fine. I've only had the Nexus 5 and imo that was subpar and now I'm not interested in Nexus stuff anymore. My wife has a Nexus tablet. Well had, now she has a Samsung.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
Mine performs just fine. I've only had the Nexus 5 and imo that was subpar and now I'm not interested in Nexus stuff anymore. My wife has a Nexus tablet. Well had, now she has a Samsung.

The Nexus phone doesn't come close to the sexiness that the s7 brings.

I'm eager to see what the s8 will bring.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
That would be a real bummer. I've never had an Edge as I don't feel I need one with the minimul extras it gives... And they are more expensive. The regular Galaxy if just fine for me.

With the refined edge panel from the Note 7, this should help mitigate concerns about using edge screens. And who knows, perhaps Samsung will refine it even more. Where they can also help is by refining the software -- if the software can get even smarter about recognizing false palm touches and whatnot, it'll be all the better. Once acclimated, I have little to no issue using my S7 Edge. Having said that, I certainly understand people's concerns about usability. I said in another thread, as Samsung refines the hardware/software, it'll only get better and easier to use.

Also... can you imagine a 5.2" screen with edge panels? Imagine the footprint that'll be. The device will feel so small compared to the competition that I think one handed use -- even with an edge panel -- will be glorious.

I personally can't wait. My one fear, though, is that now that the standard S8 will resemble the larger S8 Edge more than ever before, that Samsung may follow Apple and differentiate the larger model by keeping camera features exclusive to it. I still hope both models will sport the same exact camera. Don't follow Apple in this aspect, please. This is one thing I hate about Apple's offering. To get the latest camera advantages from Apple, you have to fork over the extra money and deal with a much larger phablet.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I really hope they keep a flat version of the S8 next year. Though with the popularity of the edge models it wouldn't surprise me if they didn't.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I really hope they keep a flat version of the S8 next year. Though with the popularity of the edge models it wouldn't surprise me if they didn't.

I think this hope should be tempered. I predict Samsung is going to go full tilt with the Edge panels. I support this, if true.

Reactions: MRU

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011

I'm not a fan of curved screens for the simple reason that glass screen protectors don't work well with them.

Putting a film protector instead of glass is a less durable alternative.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I think this hope should be tempered. I predict Samsung is going to go full tilt with the Edge panels. I support this, if true.

I suspect you are probably right. Though I wonder if they would be willing to keep a flat version somewhere in the SKU as it's often the 'cheaper' version, the one most subsidised by carriers (the S7 is often free here on contracts compared to the S7e).

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I suspect you are probably right. Though I wonder if they would be willing to keep a flat version somewhere in the SKU as it's often the 'cheaper' version, the one most subsidised by carriers (the S7 is often free here on contracts compared to the S7e).

I think as production of the edge panels gets better, we'll see it implemented without price increases.

I predict the S8 and S8 Plus (???) will sell for roughly the same prices as the S7 and S7 Edge variants. Something in that premium $650 and $780 range.

Maybe they'll keep the S7 as the cheaper model. And now with Samsung's refurbished program, there'll be even more affordable options (I think we'll see MANY Note 7 refurbished models after Samsung fixes all the recalled ones!).
[doublepost=1473954839][/doublepost]
I'm not a fan of curved screens for the simple reason that glass screen protectors don't work well with them.

Putting a film protector instead of glass is a less durable alternative.

Great point you and others have made about the screen protector.

I've had no choice with my S7 Edge but to go without one, and surprisingly, it's been great and very liberating. I'm sure it's not for everyone. Luckily, no noticeable scratches as of yet!

I do hope there are solutions by next year, though, as screen protector makers must see the potential for great sales here if they can create a good one.

Reactions: MRU
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.