Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZiBart

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2021
Have you actually looked at the "sameness" from Samsung's phones?
What sameness? I dislike Samsung but i can see they are much more diverse in their lineup vs Apple and many others. For one, diversity in budget/price on recent/new designs vs Apple’s version of lets keep the iPhone SE around in a design thats 10 years old. Which is the major factor in market share. Their AI feature is much better (currently). They do large and small foldables, which Apple doesnt (whether you hate the concept or not). They do things like Dex which probably many people take advantage of and saves them from buying another expensive device. They are not the same by any means. Apple has chosen to take much less risk with phone hardware at a much slower pace, and is heavily dependent on their eco system keeping or getting new customers. They have become the Toyota of tech. That being said, Apple still owns the profit numbers even with declining share most likely.

jdawgnoonan

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2007
Jefferson, WI
Thing is, no smartphone vendor is doing anything interesting anymore. Smartphones are basically mature. It will come down to who has the best AI integration over the next few years IMO
Other than having an AI that deleted spam text messages and prevented spam calls from ringing, and maybe an AI that understood the context of what I was typing so that I never made typos, I cannot see much else that AI will bring to my smartphone. However, I do not think features like I mentioned will be exciting for more than the 5 minutes after they are announced.

Reactions: Jovijoker and TMax

antiprotest

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2010
What sameness? They’re way ahead in the AI game this year vs previous years.

Meanwhile, Apple has been using the same exact design language since the iPhone 11 with very little software changes.
It will be at least September before ANY AI from Apple is released to the public. That's way too long in this space, after already waiting way too long to even say anything.

They should release some form of AppleGPT as an app for people to play with until then, to match ChatGPT and such, so that users will stay loyal. And then hit us with some super AI integration features come September to get ahead of ChatGPT and others, at least for Apple users.

But that's not how Apple do things. And it's costing them. No, not "Apple is doomed." Just stupid, not doomed.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I agree they do gimmicks.
yeah...that same old argument. That attitude is why Apple is behind in evolving spaces like folding phones and AI.

Then it is funny how Apple apologists say anything not on an iPhone is a gimmick...until it is on an iPhone then it is innovation.
The just so you don't try to paint me as an Apple hater. I have had every iPhone since day one. Have a ton of Apple products in my home. I just want/expect more from them than the current situation.

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC
What sameness? I dislike Samsung but i can see they are much more diverse in their lineup vs Apple and many others. For one, diversity in budget/price on recent/new designs vs Apple’s version of lets keep the iPhone SE around in a design thats 10 years old. Which is the major factor in market share. Their AI feature is much better (currently). They do large and small foldables, which Apple doesnt (whether you hate the concept or not). They do things like Dex which probably many people take advantage of and saves them from buying another expensive device. They are not the same by any means. Apple has chosen to take much less risk with phone hardware at a much slower pace, and is heavily dependent on their eco system keeping or getting new customers. They have become the Toyota of tech. That being said, Apple still owns the profit numbers even with declining share most likely.
The bar for Samsung is not nearly as high as the bar for Apple when it comes to expecting something "new".

This isn't about liking one or the other. Apple's product philosophy since 1999 is to make just one or two things in each category and make it as well as they can. Samsung's product philosophy is totally different, they'll make 20 of the same product and abandon 19 of them if one is successful. They make the A series phones to appeal to a market that Apple completely ignores. And of course, foldables. Whether I like something or not has absolutely nothing to do with the discussion - the foldable phones are another product line. Apple doesn't make a product in that category.

Dex is great but I seriously doubt anyone uses it for their primary computing device. There's a place for that technology (Microsoft also did this with Windows Phone before Dex) but I think we are still years away from it. I did not claim that Samsung was the same as Apple. What I said was in response to design language and that Samsung refreshes theirs even less often - which is a result of them entering different product categories instead. If there's a Toyota of tech, that's Samsung, not Apple. Apple is closer to something like Volvo if I were to choose one, where there are only one or two models in any category. As far as profits per device in the S category vs iPhone, prices are similar, and the BOM is similar.

Anyway, trying to take this conversation deeper than my reference to Samsung's flagship phones not being reinvented every few years is really a waste of time. I'm referring to the hardware design of the Galaxy S lineup only.

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC
It will be at least September before ANY AI from Apple is released to the public. That's way too long in this space, after already waiting way too long to even say anything.

They should release some form of AppleGPT as an app for people to play with until then, to match ChatGPT and such, so that users will stay loyal. And then hit us with some super AI integration features come September to get ahead of ChatGPT and others, at least for Apple users.

But that's not how Apple do things. And it's costing them. No, not "Apple is doomed." Just stupid, not doomed.
What you're asking Apple to do here is exactly how Google flubbed their move into AI. Remember Bard? You don't just enter a category to "me too" it. When you can offer a compelling and complete product, that's when you enter. If Apple were to make their "Apple Bard", the complete mess that needs to be renamed so people forget it exists, the FUD would be never ending.

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC
ooohhh...so you want to just pick ONE model and not the whole category. But Samsung has more than one model. So to just pick one model like the S lineup is disingenuous to the position you are taking here.

The make more than one model and not just one slab model phone.
There's nothing disingenuous about it at all. We are talking about design language, not number of models. If anything, this causes Samsung's phones to lose a consistency across the product line.

Reactions: LalaN

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
There's nothing disingenuous about it at all. We are talking about design language, not number of models. If anything, this causes Samsung's phones to lose a consistency across the product line.
pffft they are consistent in offering innovation. Apple lineup is stagnant....one model that has not changed much at all. That is not just being consistant...it is getting boring. Like Siri....it is consistently bad...

contacos

macrumors 601
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
Apparently, no one sent you the memo that the iPhone and smartphones in general are mature products. There will no longer be any truly groundbreaking additions such as internet capabilities, maps, rear camera, front facing camera, digital assistant etc. Expect most if not all improvements to be incremental from now on. But hey at least this year we can talk about the new exciting colors for 2024.

That’s why I may try a Fold this year. Just to try something else. I’ll still have my 15 Plus for my iOS „needs“.

nt5672

macrumors 68040
Jun 30, 2007
Midwest USA
Have you looked at who leads Apple's competition? I can't think of a single company whose "leader" is a tech innovator, Jobs wasn't one either.
Yep, Jobs created one of the biggest tech innovations of the 21st century in everybody else's mind but yours. Guess they were all wrong and you are the God of tech. By the way, which tech innovation did you create?

ctklein

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2014
That’s why I may try a Fold this year. Just to try something else. I’ll still have my 15 Plus for my iOS „needs“.
I did exactly that but ditched it after a few months but with the Flip. It's neat and fun but IMO the camera quality was lack luster and apps didn't seem as "high quality" or as fluid as my regular apple experience and ultimately it just didn't scratch the itch I thought it would. If you have the means though go for it! I like to read about other people's experiences with them.

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC
Yep, Jobs created one of the biggest tech innovations of the 21st century in everybody else's mind but yours. Guess they were all wrong and you are the God of tech. By the way, which tech innovation did you create?
Jobs created what tech innovation? I love Jobs...I'm sorry I offended you by pointing out that Jobs himself wasn't creating technology. Considering there are people out there who say Jobs was only a salesman, I would easily point to "everybody else's mind" not being what you claim. I know what Jobs did well, he recognized what was great, what could be great, and what wasn't worth the time. And he was the best at it.

Reactions: pianophile
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.