Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nt5672

macrumors 68040
Jun 30, 2007
Midwest USA
Jobs created what tech innovation? I love Jobs...I'm sorry I offended you by pointing out that Jobs himself wasn't creating technology. Considering there are people out there who say Jobs was only a salesman, I would easily point to "everybody else's mind" not being what you claim. I know what Jobs did well, he recognized what was great, what could be great, and what wasn't worth the time. And he was the best at it.
"creating technology." that is engineering, not innovation. Innovation is "vision".

And you can't offend me. Just pointing out that you live in your own universe with that opinion.

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC
"creating technology." that is engineering, not innovation. Innovation is "vision".
Ok, let's get pedantic: "Yep, Jobs created one of the biggest tech innovations of the 21st century in everybody else's mind but yours" - your words.

Innovation is not vision. Innovators are those who take a technology and apply it in a new way. Vision is vision. Jobs was a visionary.

Timo_Existencia

Contributor
Jan 2, 2002
Ah...stay golden MacRumors.

Taking a snapshot at any given time really tells nobody anything. For example, how many of you saying 'Apple is doomed' or "Apple no longer innovates" or etc etc etc were saying that same thing 3 months ago, at the end of Q4 2023, when Apple absolutely crushed Samsung?

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
yeah...that same old argument. That attitude is why Apple is behind in evolving spaces like folding phones and AI.

Then it is funny how Apple apologists say anything not on an iPhone is a gimmick...until it is on an iPhone then it is innovation.
The just so you don't try to paint me as an Apple hater. I have had every iPhone since day one. Have a ton of Apple products in my home. I just want/expect more from them than the current situation.
I know one person that owns a folding phone, and it looks like **** with the line in the middle of the screen, and it has been years since I have seen someone using a stylus with their phone.

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
Apple's response to falling sales will be to charge more for less. They are clearly fresh out of decent designers. And ideas.
This article is primarily about stock manipulation seeing how numbers are coming out soon, Apple drops in the third and fourth quarter every year, and then the new phone comes out.

Reactions: FriendlyMackle

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I know one person that owns a folding phone, and it looks like **** with the line in the middle of the screen, and it has been years since I have seen someone using a stylus with their phone.
yeah I can see how you might not like them. That is personal preference to be honest. I have a 15PM and a S24U and use the S-pen probably once a week.

Reactions: ToyoCorollaGR

bassexpander

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2022
Have you actually looked at the "sameness" from Samsung's phones?
Yep... Same 120hz screen on models priced $250 to $1200.

Apple's plan to stretch 60Hz screens on its base model hit at a really bad time in Asia. I live in Korea. What you are not seeing is new iPhone 15 base models being dumped for $685 by sellers at Technomart in Seoul. They place the ads on Carrot Market and hide the phones under the display case until you ask for one. They just haven't been selling well.

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
Thing is, no smartphone vendor is doing anything interesting anymore. Smartphones are basically mature. It will come down to who has the best AI integration over the next few years IMO
The best, or the most sensible.

It might end up a situation where a manufacture releases an AI free phone.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
yeah I can see how you might not like them. That is personal preference to be honest. I have a 15PM and a S24U and use the S-pen probably once a week.
I know 3 people that use Ultras and when I asked how often they use the S-Pen they all had the same response, a handful of times. Seems more like a feature that you can say you have but in reality seldom find a need to use..

LaterWolf

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2022
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
So Samsung phones are all the same...yet they are not.....They have folding phones...they have flip phones...they have phones with builtin s-pens. OHHH but you position is lets only look at the S models.... Yeah that is disingenuous to your statement.
You brand bias shows just by saying Samsung phones all look the same. Because then that lets Apple off the hook for THEIR phones all looking the same....
Apple targets (mostly) premium users in almost all of their products, and that's why he thinks it's better to compare iphones to the flagship S series (oh and for the ultra you're not wrong, I mean like gorilla armor is sone legendary piece of glass in terms of reflectivity compared to other phones, when has the spen not make you appreciate it when you need to use it, 200mp camera (that means nothing but to the average consumer that's the holy grail) yes, looking at the back of the S series and some of the A side by side, they might look the same, the normal s24s are quite boring, but they really put a flashlight on the small details

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I know 3 people that use Ultras and when I asked how often they use the S-Pen they all had the same response, a handful of times. Seems more like a feature that you can say you have but in reality seldom find a need to use..
I use it for browsing on the s24U and for taking notes. Most of my family and friends are iPhone users. I ask them how many times they use Siri and they say only a few times....I also ask them about Dynamic Island and have they ever used it. Most don't know what it is or how to use it or what apps would use it.... just sayin.

LaterWolf

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2022
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Hey, ultra owner here (4 androids in a row with an spen) I used to use it a lot to save patients info, etc but now the usage has faded, every now and then I appreciate it, but now it's no longer a main reason I use an spen

Reactions: BugeyeSTI

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Not surprising when the iPhone barely changes each year. They need to innovate more. They need to add exciting new features that are worthwhile to upgrade to. They’ve been making small iterations for ages. We need substance.

Things that move the needle for me:
  • Moving Dynamic Island under display
  • Upgrading ultra wide and telephoto to 48mp sensors
  • Making it actually durable enough that I don’t need a case
  • Significant upgrades to AI chip performance and memory size to allow for on-device LLM for a real virtual assistant everywhere I go
  • USB-C fast charging
  • Reverse MagSafe charging for my AirPods Pro 2

Reactions: jamezr

AndiG

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2008
Germany
Apple iPhone is declared vintage. It is still a good device, but the main reason I upgraded to my iP15 pro was an USB-C port and 5G connectivity. Later I found out that upgrading to an iPhone 15 (non pro) would have been the better choice.

Apple is strugging to catch up in AI somehow and it already found out that it isn‘t capable of creating a full fledged AI like OpenAI or Google.

History repeats, just this time it wasn‘t Scully and the Macintosh, but Tim, Phil and the iPhone

And it is not the Newton but the Apple Vision Pro …

Last edited:
Reactions: jamezr

Ameer_1

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2023
Boca Raton, Florida
Apple takes forever to put in a new feature. Apple will introduce a feature and call it innovative while other companies had it for a few years. Not many people know the difference between iPhone 11 to 15 other than the number, each iPhone still downloads all the social media apps, and all iPhones can Facetime and iMessage. Not many people care or know about the A16 or A17 chip, most don't even know what chip they have. Each year there's a small upgrade difference to the camera and barely a battery upgrade and call it the longest battery life in any iPhone and the best iPhone we've ever made.

Reactions: AndiG and jamezr
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.