Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014
This article is primarily about stock manipulation seeing how numbers are coming out soon, Apple drops in the third and fourth quarter every year, and then the new phone comes out.

Sure thing. Though on the wider topic I feel it's undeniable that Apple are slowly losing popularity and sales will trend downward long term. The reality distortion field is collapsing. Shields at 20% 😬

Timo_Existencia

Contributor
Jan 2, 2002
Again...all of you basing your "Apple no longer innovates!" nonsense...3 months ago, Apple crushed Samsung. These numbers are cyclical and due mostly to product release timing. AND, this number is unit shipments only, not revenue; in which Apple would again be crushing Samsung.

And to be honest, shipping the most units in the world holds no appeal to me personally. I'd rather see Apple go back to filling a niche only.

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
The real question is it primarily caused by people switching from iPhone to something else or just not upgrading their iPhone as frequently? My guess it is the latter for a various reasons. Very incremental improvements, no updated small (mini) or entry level (SE) versions in years, inflation has people cutting budgets etc.

Saturn1217

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2008
One can only hope this encourages Apple to stop trickle feeding us new features.

Please release the Hole-punch camera SOON. And put 48mp sensors in ALL the cameras on the Pro. Don't drag this out over 2 more years and do the telephoto (more important than the stupid wide angle) last. Others like google's pixel already have this on ALL their lenses now.

It's like they know they don't have any more ideas left so they are being extremely conservative with each remaining "low hanging fruit" improvement they include in an iPhone release. Just give us the best phone that you can build right now for X dollars. And then do that again next year. It is ok if sometimes that means we go through periods of little perceived improvements.

Killbynumbers

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2019
The only phone I thought was worth an upgrade which is the only phone upgrade over the last 4 for Android was my S24 Ultra. I bought two. Great phone. I was using the Note 10 + but the screen burn in on that was pretty bad. Also took the time to buy a Samsung watch 6 to go with the S24. Always liked Samsung phones. The battery life is greater then my 13 Pro Max.

Still using my 13 Pro Max for another year or two.

okkibs

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2022
iPhone sales declining might partly be due to Apple customers keeping their phones for a while. Samsung didn't even offer A14 for their Z Fold 2 when it was barely 3 years old at the time. Three major updates with roughly double the iPhone Pro's launch price is laughably bad. Samsung really went out of their way to screw their best paying customers. Compare that to the much better supported SE 2020 at a quarter of the price.

Aside from Pixels with their trash hardware other smartphone manufacturers aren't better with support, hardware included. At least with my iPhone I can walk into an Apple Store and get the battery swapped, I would be shocked if virtually any Samsung smartphone owners know off the top of their heads how to get any service for their phone. With the exception of the Fold customers that had to get their breaking screens replaced.

• Haha
Reactions: FriendlyMackle

hans1972

macrumors 68040
Apr 5, 2010
and as an iPod Touch and iPhone user since iPhone 3G, I hope it keeps on declining further. Apple needs to be forced to wake up gain 👏🏼 you can release the same phone only so many times.

- sent from iPhone 15 Plus

It's been like this for years.

Apple usually has the highest sale in Q4 and Samsung in the rest of the quarters.

Here is the IDC press release from last year:

Looks awfully similar to this year's report.

hans1972

macrumors 68040
Apr 5, 2010

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2008
If they can't fix their displays so they don't cause eye strain, this will get much worse as people with sensitive eyes are forced away from iPhones.

Asiatic Black Hebrew

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2022
At least with my iPhone I can walk into an Apple Store and get the battery swapped, I would be shocked if virtually any Samsung smartphone owners know off the top of their heads how to get any service for their phone. With the exception of the Fold customers that had to get their breaking screens replaced.
They can just use the insurance option, which every carrier offers, & get the phone replaced. Not sure the point you're trying to make here.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I know...doesn't that mean they are probably overcharging for their products?

It comes down to price vs value. What this means is that Apple is capable of creating great experiences which consumers are willing to pay a premium for.

That’s really what differentiates them from the rest of the industry. Apple sells experiences and integrated solutions. The rest sell products. The market votes with their wallets as to what they prefer, and here we are.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.