Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UK-MacAddict

macrumors 65816
May 11, 2010
FYI, this year is 2024 and Apple's 2024 entry has not released yet...you will need to wait another 6 months to make the comparison there.

The iPhone 11 didn't have the same design language as the iPhone 12. Software is not part of the design language.

They go from round edge to flat edge every 3-4 years so yes it's basically been the same rotation since iPhone 4.

Leaked designs already show this years model will look near identical to the 15 Pro.

Reactions: jamezr

UK-MacAddict

macrumors 65816
May 11, 2010
Nothing is unique on iPhones anymore. Yet they keep charging high prices for the same tech that has been around for decades and every other vendor has used before them.

Hopefully the sales keep falling until they are forced to lower prices.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
It comes down to price vs value. What this means is that Apple is capable of creating great experiences which consumers are willing to pay a premium for.

That’s really what differentiates them from the rest of the industry. Apple sells experiences and integrated solutions. The rest sell products. The market votes with their wallets as to what they prefer, and here we are.
It is Apple marketing at its finest a perceived value and premium. What this means is Apple has marketed its products to be very high end. Sometimes that is true and sometimes it is not. What that means is some Apple customer will pay a very high premium for a product is just the same as a lower end product just because it has an Apple logo on it.
They pay this higher price for the logo willingly.

That's really the difference in the products. The customer votes with their wallets....as you say.
Because most of the world voted for smartphones that were not iPhones....
What that means is iPhones make up only 17% market share.

IDC-global-smartphone-shipments-1q20242.jpg

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
That's really the difference in the products. The customer votes with their wallets....as you say.
Because most of the world voted for smartphones that were not iPhones....
What that means is iPhones make up only 17% market share.

I never meant to suggest otherwise. Apple knows they will never have the greater market share because of their business model (selling a closed ecosystem at premium prices), but they make up for this by commanding the lion’s share of profits in their respective markets.

It’s by design, and it’s a tradeoff Apple is happy to make.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I never meant to suggest otherwise. Apple knows they will never have the greater market share because of their business model (selling a closed ecosystem at premium prices), but they make up for this by commanding the lion’s share of profits in their respective markets.

It’s by design, and it’s a tradeoff Apple is happy to make.
That proves my original statement that you quoted...
What that means is they can make more profit by selling way less products than anyone else in the space.
Leads to the conclusion their products are overpriced....

I said....
I know...doesn't that mean they are probably overcharging for their products?

gatorvet96

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2016
I know Apple lost my sale when they went to esim only in the US. I refuse to purchase a phone that doesn't accept a physhical sim card.
And I won’t get a Mac again unless they include 3.5 inch floppy disks. Sarc

sim cards are obsolete

• Disagree
Reactions: gusmula

JapanApple

Suspended
Sep 16, 2022
Japan
Let's see this is an Apple fan site, and people are complaining about what? What happened to each of their own?

broly

Suspended
Apr 1, 2020
edmonton
Tim Cook should ask Siri how to get back on top. Oh wait, he needs to ask Gemini because Apple has no AI.
if there's one thing tim cook will NEVER ask siri, it's how to get on top! DUH

rawImage.jpg

"i left getting pegged on a beach in cabo for this?"

i've been waiting for the right time to post this one. it's been marinating in my noodle for months

• Haha
Reactions: gusmula

FlyingTexan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2015
Samsung market cap = $400B
Apple market cap = $2.7T

These articles on who wins is stupid. Units doesn’t equal profits. Apple is sitting on $175B in cash. They could buy controlling interest in Samsung and honestly not a horrible idea.

Downhilltenago

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2017
Tucson, AZ
and as an iPod Touch and iPhone user since iPhone 3G, I hope it keeps on declining further. Apple needs to be forced to wake up gain 👏🏼 you can release the same phone only so many times.

- sent from iPhone 15 Plus
THIS! I believe we are about to see a shift. People are tired of the same phone. I know I am. Switching too Samsung this year. iOS 18 better be massive off they hope to keep their position.

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
People will pay if the device has enough bells and whistles

Apple has thousands of patents for features that could be added to the iPhone and yet they come out with the same old features other than a better camera
People used to update their iPhone every year or two, now it’s every 3 or 4 years
By now Apple should understand that customers want more

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
It’s honestly embarrassing for Samsung when Apple does occasionally get ahead of them in sales. With all those models and so many price points Samsung should always be ahead of Apple in overall sales volume.

It’s like Mercedes selling more cars than Kia.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
People will pay if the device has enough bells and whistles
Yes. I paid for an iPhone 15 as I thought the feature set was worth it.
Apple has thousands of patents for features that could be added to the iPhone and yet they come out with the same old features other than a better camera
If you believe a better camera is the only feature the apple website has all of the updates for each model.
People used to update their iPhone every year or two, now it’s every 3 or 4 years
Citation.
By now Apple should understand that customers want more
I think Apple understands what its customer base wants more than MacRumors posters.

okkibs

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2022
They can just use the insurance option, which every carrier offers, & get the phone replaced. Not sure the point you're trying to make here.
Customers can pay extra for an insurance they don't need just to get quick service in person, great. How is that helpful if you just want to swap your iPhone battery after a couple years? The point I am making is bring any phone into your carrier store and ask them to swap the battery. Apple can do these swaps in the store within 1-3 hours - not always and certainly not on an iPhone launch day of course, but usually they complete it the same day.

You won't be replacing the battery every month of the year but the one time you need it done and your carrier tells you they can send it into the manufacturer and they don't know how long it's gonna take... you might just end up not swapping the battery at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.