Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
After the release of the S22 series, i thought it would be a good idea to make a thread talking about everything to do with the S23.

Rumours have started, but also what would you guys like to see? post anything you would like to see, any rumours and just about anything to do with the S23.

I‘m guessing the timeframe for the S23, will be around the same time as the S22. Will those of you who brought the S22, buy the S23? personally I’m happy with my S22 Ultra so far, but if Samsung add something or give a reason to upgrade then I’m sure i will :)

Reactions: Healer Flame

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
The only rumor that I heard was the S23 ultra sporting 1”-type camera sensor. (Thus Xiaomi releasing the 12S ultra with the goal of beating Samsung to the punch). Other than that, there’s really nothing else. The regular S23 and S23 Plus will probably generally the same as the S22 line, other than the upgraded SoC.

I do want to see Samsung extending Android upgrades to 5 years (currently, it’s 4 years with additional year for security patches). We are at peak smartphone, where every new “features” are mostly gimmicks and won’t really affect daily use of the smartphone that much. So longer software support would be much more appreciated. I want to see Samsung beating Apple at its own game.

I do appreciate where Samsung is heading by keeping the regular S model as a “small” phone. The S22 is technically even smaller than the S21. Hopefully they keep it that way with the S23. Android phone smaller than 6.4” is getting rarer by the minute.

Currently, my S21 is running fine. No performance issues whatsoever. I’m perfectly content with it for anything I use it for. The only event I would upgrade is probably when the software support has ended, so maybe to the S26 or something.

Reactions: Yoanna

Dave245

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
SD on all models is latest rumour

Hope it happens

Yes i heard about this too. Do you think Samsung will start to differentiate the Ultra models, now that they are replacing the Note series every year will they get new features and so on?

I do wonder what more they can do, the Ultra has a great design, the camera is better than on my iPhone 13 Pro Max (especially that zoom feature) And while battery life could always be improved, it‘s far better than on the Note 20 Ultra i tried a while back.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Yes i heard about this too. Do you think Samsung will start to differentiate the Ultra models, now that they are replacing the Note series every year will they get new features and so on?

I do wonder what more they can do, the Ultra has a great design, the camera is better than on my iPhone 13 Pro Max (especially that zoom feature) And while battery life could always be improved, it‘s far better than on the Note 20 Ultra i tried a while back.
all Samsung need to do is work on battery optimisation I would say and get far better shutter speed for moving objects. that's the biggest issue. depending on who you talk to will say there are lag and stutter issues but most of that is on exynos. Glad you aren't affected here but mine was sadly.

Reactions: mjschabow

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Samsung have always differentiate their premium models to their base models. But this is the first year they changed the design of their premium S model to a Note design. But I’m more interested in their pricing structure going forward… this is the first year they segmented prices 8GBs RAM models and 12GBs RAM on the S22 Ultra.

And with the potential of using SD on all their models… license fees will definitely play a part in the pricing of their devices.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Prices will definitely be going up unless something unexpected happen next year. Samsung's 2022 Galaxy A lineup all have higher launch prices than their 2021 counterparts (eg. the A52 price point is not being hold by the A33, with the A53 at a higher price point). Samsung might soften it by having 256GB as base storage (they are already giving free storage upgrade once in a while).

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012
Better dual SIM / eSIM implementation. Pixel allows you to select one number for data and the other for voice/text. Yet this feature isn’t available on the S22 Ultra.

Also, whenever I get an MMS message from someone I have to switch SIM’s in order to download it. This is incredibly annoying.

yui4

macrumors 65816
May 26, 2011
I’d be happy to upgrade if they are able to optimise the battery for those of us in the exynos regions if we don’t get the snapdragon variant agaim

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
all Samsung need to do is work on battery optimisation I would say and get far better shutter speed for moving objects. that's the biggest issue. depending on who you talk to will say there are lag and stutter issues but most of that is on exynos. Glad you aren't affected here but mine was sadly.
Better battery and shutter speed are the two things that would actually sway me to consider moving to
Samsung.

MarkX

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2015
Fochabers, Scotland
Prices will definitely be going up unless something unexpected happen next year. Samsung's 2022 Galaxy A lineup all have higher launch prices than their 2021 counterparts (eg. the A52 price point is not being hold by the A33, with the A53 at a higher price point). Samsung might soften it by having 256GB as base storage (they are already giving free storage upgrade once in a while).

That's not true at all, certainly not where I'm from.

The A52 released at £399 and the A53 has released at the same price!

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Based on the few rumors I’ve seen I don’t think I’m upgrading from the S22 Ultra. I may do an end of season upgrade like my husband did on his S21 Ultra, so it costs only around $100 to upgrade. They boosted the trade in value of his S21 Ultra to a crazy amount that it was an offer he couldn’t refuse!

Then I get to enjoy this particular phone more. I may like it too much and keep it. I keep kicking myself that I didn’t hang on to the S9+ I was so happy with.

At any rate, other than wishing for a battery that didn’t drain quite so fast, I am really happy with the S22 Ultra. I am wondering how Samsung can top this phone.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
I would like to see a S22e, same size and weight as my S10e.
The regular S22 is almost the same size as the s10e. Though I guess I wouldn't mind it getting a little more compact...
57d9418119c9d12b4e6b0115463845b3.jpg

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
The regular S22 is almost the same size as the s10e. Though I guess I wouldn't mind it getting a little more compact...
57d9418119c9d12b4e6b0115463845b3.jpg

You are correct, they are quite close. I still find my S10e too big to easily and comfortably carry in my shorts pocket when going for a brisk one hour walk. But unfortunately very few people seem to want an easy to pocket phone these days.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Still got mine its still going very strong
What color is it? Mine was the purple one. I still have an S7, non edge model. I finally had to retire it because the battery was atrocious and it had slowed to a crawl overall. This was back when Samsungs on TouchWiz would do that. Though I suppose there’s a way to revive them since some people do still use Samsungs older than that.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Both my s9+ and S7edge are blue. Blue is my number one favourite colour on phones followed by Black. I skipped s8, Note9, s10 and s20 models.
I actually skipped a few Samsungs. I do wish I’d skipped S8+. That phone was not good for me or my husband. But my niece loved hers. Ours were super laggy for some reason. Mine was set up as new with a very modest number of apps. Just luck of the draw, I guess?

Reactions: Healer Flame
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.