Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
I will upgrade to get a device covered by a fresh warranty since I don't usually buy the extended warranty and to (keeping fingers crossed) get some battery life improvements and improvement in low light photography. But I definitely am not expecting any truly exciting changes.

The new device will have to perform as well as my current device is doing. My s22 Ultra is working quite well and free of defects and complaints that compelled me to trade past Samsung phones.

With iphones I have usually been driven to upgrade by a desire to have improved connectivity and audio. Whether it's wifi or cellular, I've often struggled with iPhones for some reason. I could not even hold conversations on my iphone 6 plus, 7 Plus, 8 Plus!!! The connection and sound for me and my callers was that terrible.

When I got my HTC 10 in 2016 (I think it was that year) it was a revelation that a cell call could sound so crystal clear. That phone had incredible audio capabilities all around. But it had the best call quality I'd ever experienced on a phone up to that point.

I've loved iOS for ages, but I've also been frustrated with Apple's hardware shortcomings for ages. Apple cheaps out on features, for practical and necessary economic reasons, I'm sure. But it's frustrating for the consumer.

Speaking of sound on a phone, my Samsung S7 Edge was the first phone I had that gave me incredible sounding stereo audio for home videos. When I listen to videos made of the children at a school event years ago on that phone, I can feel like I'm standing right there in that scene again. It took Apple an inexcusably long time to add stereo recording to the iphone.
Even now, anytime I use one of my Bluetooth speakers, the sound quality is noticeably better when I use my Android phones vs my iPhones.

it could be more interesting than first thought, Samsung have released a teaser

https://www.sammobile.com/news/leak...suggest-amazing-nighttime-camera-performance/

There are hints in it that the nightmode will get a big upgrade. I love the ability to take a picture of the moon and the stars, if they update this on the S23 Ultra then they may have me if they also improve batter life.

Reactions: 5105973

Dave245

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
Screenshot 2023-01-10 at 6.47.13 pm.png

Screenshot 2023-01-10 at 6.46.36 pm.png

These were part of the promotional/teaser video on Twitter. What do you guys think? big hints at the camera upgrades.

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
it could be more interesting than first thought, Samsung have released a teaser

https://www.sammobile.com/news/leak...suggest-amazing-nighttime-camera-performance/

There are hints in it that the nightmode will get a big upgrade. I love the ability to take a picture of the moon and the stars, if they update this on the S23 Ultra then they may have me if they also improve batter life.
It has a 200mp sensor with a larger aperture then the s22 so it will naturally let in more light too.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
It has a 200mp sensor with a larger aperture then the s22 so it will naturally let in more light too.

And apparently there will be updates to the astrophotography as well. Leaks are starting to come out now. Samsung have also officially announced the event for February 1st.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Lol times are tough! I think there's another credit to order via their Shop Samsung App, too. Americans might get the galaxy Buds 2 Pro free. I am not sure. I was hoping some bonus would help me get the watch. I'm not completely sure I'm ready to give up Apple Watch just yet though. I'm not going to wear two watches. I actually tried that once. I wore an Apple Watch on my right wrist and a Samsung fitness band on my left. The fitness band was not very comfortable so I sent it back to Amazon.

I then got a Fitbit. I loved the Fitbit but I didn't last very long with it. It had the stupidest charger in the world. You had to clamp the Fitbit into it. I simply lost interest.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
Once again there is no registration for us in the UK, I don't know why Samsung doesn't just give us the same thing. £50 or £100 for registering interest in both.

Reactions: PaddyFowler

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
Lol times are tough! I think there's another credit to order via their Shop Samsung App, too. Americans might get the galaxy Buds 2 Pro free. I am not sure. I was hoping some bonus would help me get the watch. I'm not completely sure I'm ready to give up Apple Watch just yet though. I'm not going to wear two watches. I actually tried that once. I wore an Apple Watch on my right wrist and a Samsung fitness band on my left. The fitness band was not very comfortable so I sent it back to Amazon.

I then got a Fitbit. I loved the Fitbit but I didn't last very long with it. It had the stupidest charger in the world. You had to clamp the Fitbit into it. I simply lost interest.
It's funny with watches. I currently have the Apple Watch Ultra. It's amazing, one of the best Apple products released in the last few years, imo. But there's the other part of me that wonders if I even really want to wear a watch anymore. Just getting sick of always being connected and my wrist buzzing for every little thing.

PaddyFowler

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2007
It's funny with watches. I currently have the Apple Watch Ultra. It's amazing, one of the best Apple products released in the last few years, imo. But there's the other part of me that wonders if I even really want to wear a watch anymore. Just getting sick of always being connected and my wrist buzzing for every little thing.
In the very same boat myself. Wearing the Series 7 on a daily basis, and so damn handy for payments and quick notifications etc, but that feeling of being always connected and constant notifications...... it's a conundrum. :)

Dave245

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013

I also love my Ultra, I use it everyday for running. I've got a free 3 month trial of Apple Fitness+ and it's amazing to use an Apple Watch during those workouts. I'm really impressed with Apple Fitness+ and will be keeping it after the trial. This is why I cant fully remove Apple from my life, I like my Galaxy S22 Ultra and Watch 4, but Apple Watch is so much better.

majkom

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2011
i got tired by apple watch, daily charging, buzzing for everythin, emded usimg it occassionally just for apple pay and then sold;)

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I can’t stand notifications in general. I only allow text, calendar and VIP email notifications and then others sort of sneak in there, but not very many.

My husband, on the other hand, allows notifications for every trifling thing. It never stops. When we use his phone to pick out a menu selection on Uber Eats or Door Dash, I want to throw his phone through the window because I can’t concentrate on the menu. A notification comes in for everything every other second. I can understand the work required ones. But he’s got them on for sports news and entertainment and politics and general news and games.

I don’t know how he stands it. If I want to know something, I look it up on my own. It takes a second. I don’t want to know everything that’s going on every second.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Once again there is no registration for us in the UK, I don't know why Samsung doesn't just give us the same thing. £50 or £100 for registering interest in both.
We may get a free gift but never on the level of the US.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
So I also frequent the Samsung Members forum and a lot of posts there about the s22 Ultra having terrible battery life. I am interested in trading in my s22 plus for an s23 Ultra but if battery life is significantly worse than my plus I might just upgrade to the s23 plus.

I am torn because I am now spoiled by the Pixel 7 Pro cameras and my plus just doesn't compare. I also like the quad HD screen. So for the better cameras and screen and of course the better processor I am leaning towards the s23 Ultra but it is a significantly more expensive device.

I am also thinking in saving money and just getting the s23. I have a feeling it will have much better battery life this time around as the s22 is not very good at all.

If people who own the s22 Ultra can share their average screen on times or what they feel about battery life that would be great and also camera performance.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
Don't believe it. Even the Exynos variant has very good battery let alone the Snapdragon. If you are bit tight with money get the SD S22U you won't regret it. It was on sale here in Australia not long ago.
I have an s22 plus and figure with trade in the s23 Ultra should not be too crazy. Since the snapdragon 8 gen 2 looks to be a serious upgrade I am hoping to keep the s23 Ultra for at least 2-4 years. The s22 ultra with 8 gen 1 I am not sure would last me as long.

I generally tend to keep my Samsung phones longer as they tend to perform well for a few years.

I am going to try keeping my phones for 2 years or more starting this year due to budget and the fact that most higher end phones already have everything I need and are pretty fast.

We will see. I have been lucky buying low and selling for more than I pay on the resale market used. Then using that to pay for a new phone. I got a Samsung s20fe free as part of t mobile promotion and after 2 years I traded it in for the s22 plus for under $300.

I might have to sell my tab s8 to get the Ultra but we will see.

Reactions: Healer Flame

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
So I also frequent the Samsung Members forum and a lot of posts there about the s22 Ultra having terrible battery life. I am interested in trading in my s22 plus for an s23 Ultra but if battery life is significantly worse than my plus I might just upgrade to the s23 plus.

I am torn because I am now spoiled by the Pixel 7 Pro cameras and my plus just doesn't compare. I also like the quad HD screen. So for the better cameras and screen and of course the better processor I am leaning towards the s23 Ultra but it is a significantly more expensive device.

I am also thinking in saving money and just getting the s23. I have a feeling it will have much better battery life this time around as the s22 is not very good at all.

If people who own the s22 Ultra can share their average screen on times or what they feel about battery life that would be great and also camera performance.

Battery life is OK on my 22U (average SOT ~ 5.5 hrs and the battery's at 20 some percent) I always have BT on, 5G on (data always active under developer options), brightness around 40% unless I'm outdoors during the day and it's Sunny, etc..

It's no iPhone 13 PM! But, it's fine... I've never really had battery anxiety over it either.

Much as I love my 22U, at this point, I'd say wait and see what the 23U brings (battery enhancements, price, et al ) and then decide.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
Battery life is OK on my 22U (average SOT ~ 5.5 hrs and the battery's at 20 some percent) I always have BT on, 5G on (data always active under developer options), brightness around 40% unless I'm outdoors during the day and it's Sunny, etc..

It's no iPhone 13 PM! But, it's fine... I've never really had battery anxiety over it either.

Much as I love my 22U, at this point, I'd say wait and see what the 23U brings (battery enhancements, price, et al ) and then decide.
Thanks for everyone's experience on their s22 ultra.

Appreciate real world personal experience.

So I am definitely looking towards getting the s23 ultra. It just depends if I can afford it or not.

I am looking to get the s23 ultra, Google pixel tablet and Pixel 8 Pro when they are released this year.

I really like my Pixel 7 Pro a lot but I also really like Samsung Galaxy phones as well. I have had some Samsung phone for many, many years. Sometimes a midrange and sometimes a Flagship and Samsung always delivers and support has been decent. I have only had one Note and never an ultra. I think this might be the year I go ultra.

No iPhones for the foreseeable future. Maybe a 15 or 16 depending on what direction they take but I am taking a break from iphone for a while.

Reactions: M5RahuL
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.