Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aggie99

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2016
Dallas, TX
So besides the reduced battery life on the new UI, anyone else notice very sluggish performance? It may only the animations, I'm not sure, but whenever I get an animation in the UI it's often really sluggish, like when opening/closing apps, switching apps, etc. Kind of reminds me of how Android was years ago when everyone harped on it being slow.
I haven't noticed any performance issues. The battery life does seem to be a bit worse than before though.

Reactions: spinedoc77

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Just received 3.1 this morning. Anxious to check out Object Eraser, but one feature I notice instantly... multitasking has improved.

I normally use Files app to transfer items in my Files Drive (which I unable to find at the moment)... when I put my Files app besides another Files app window side by side, then swipe up. It would then lose that state in the task manager. But now, it stays.

9736c022ed67f1ac8aa607f85074b562.jpg

Reactions: aggie99

RannenUAZi

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2021
The app grid, even when selecting the right one, doesn't show up. Also the battery on the new UI is not good. Weird that Samsung has so many problems to let their battery work properly.
and more details can be? what exactly is wrong with her? strange, in the latest models I thought that the Samsung has no problems with batteries

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I'm disappointed in OneUI 3.1. Samsung decided to remove landscape orientation from Lockscreen on the main display, they had it on OneUI 3.0. I don't know why they removed it, Samsung should know users tend to auto-rotate the Fold regularly... they should of kept it.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
I'm disappointed in OneUI 3.1. Samsung decided to remove landscape orientation from Lockscreen on the main display, they had it on OneUI 3.0. I don't know why they removed it, Samsung should know users tend to auto-rotate the Fold regularly... they should of kept it.
Just do Bixby routine :)

When screen fully open, display, lock screen, landscape

There will also be a floating button hopefully that you can use to toggle

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Just do Bixby routine :)

When screen fully open, display, lock screen, landscape

There will also be a floating button hopefully that you can use to toggle
Wait a min.. I'll have to do a Bixby routine in order for the Lockcreen to move Landscape orientation? But I figured it out.. for some reason it was toggled off.

069a659e2737c1d3e3720694ce93bd26.jpg

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Anyone else getting smaller than normal icons sporadically in the bottom bar when folded closed? Very weird, I'm running the stock launcher and don't have any Bixby routines tied to font/icon size. It's not all the time, just sometimes so I can't pinpoint it. Battery life seems to be a bit better but still worse than pre 3.0, but I'm still getting the very slow animations when switching apps.

Achillias

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2011
Anyone else who replaced their screenprotector yet? The thing I don't like in the videos I've seen is the horizontal line that's almost at every screenprotector visible after putting it on the screen.
Screenshot-20210310-203553-Amazon-Shopping.jpg

Last edited:

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Anyone else getting smaller than normal icons sporadically in the bottom bar when folded closed? Very weird, I'm running the stock launcher and don't have any Bixby routines tied to font/icon size. It's not all the time, just sometimes so I can't pinpoint it. Battery life seems to be a bit better but still worse than pre 3.0, but I'm still getting the very slow animations when switching apps.
I have an icon theme that has smaller icons, but I haven't really experienced with my icons sporadically changing. And currently I'm on 3.1 and battery life is decent. Not amazingly great... but it gets me through the day.
Anyone else who replaced their screenprotector yet? The thing I don't like in the videos I've seen is the horizontal line that's almost at every screenprotector visible after putting it on the screen.
Haven't replaced my screenprotector... I've read plenty of experiences of replacing it and most issue I've noticed is getting rid of the bubbles when installing it.

Reactions: spinedoc77

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Samsung Internet s my favorite browser... I like what Samsung did with version 14, I'm on the beta. But what I'm hoping Samsung steals from Google Chrome is the ability to preview web pages, definitely would be useful on the Fold larger screen.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
I have an icon theme that has smaller icons, but I haven't really experienced with my icons sporadically changing. And currently I'm on 3.1 and battery life is decent. Not amazingly great... but it gets me through the day.

Haven't replaced my screenprotector... I've read plenty of experiences of replacing it and most issue I've noticed is getting rid of the bubbles when installing it.

OK that's weird, I did a screenshot of my screen to show the small icons in the favorites bar, but the picuture itself shows the icons regular sized! Very weird bug that I can't figure out.

On performance it's mainly the animations between apps opening closing where I'm seeing a ton of slowdown. Sometimes they animate smoothly, other times they just bog down and animate very slowly.

Edit: got it to work:

smallicons.jpg

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Samsung has been pushing Flex mode, I noticed they included something about Flex mode for Samsung Internet Browser. However, I’m wondering do y’all ever use Flex Mode? I find myself using that feature less and less.

Triband

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2021
Hello everyone. I do have a S21 Ultra at the moment. But thinking to sell it and get Z Fold 2. I've been hearing some things about screen protector issues after 4-6 months of usage: bubbles, scratches and need of replacement. Any other issues with device: heating up, etc? Would appreciate the feedback.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Hello everyone. I do have a S21 Ultra at the moment. But thinking to sell it and get Z Fold 2. I've been hearing some things about screen protector issues after 4-6 months of usage: bubbles, scratches and need of replacement. Any other issues with device: heating up, etc? Would appreciate the feedback.
May I ask what's the curiosity of getting the Fold 2?

But I haven't experienced any bubbles, but there have been some scratches on the front screen. However, it doesn't really bother me, it's minor... because the front is for quick interaction. Haven't had any other issues to speak of, I plan on getting a new screen protector for both the front and main display. But it's not a major priority at the moment. And I've had my Fold 2 for about 5 months.

Reactions: Triband

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
No issues and I would not be concerned with screen protector sounds like they are doing their job for those that need it and they are easily replaced

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009

No issues, but I dumped both the inner and outer screen protectors months ago and just run both screens naked.

Reactions: Triband

Triband

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2021
May I ask what's the curiosity of getting the Fold 2?
Actually it was the device that I wanted since I saw it first time. But thought that it was expensive. Have always used iPhones and Note series. Then liked the cameras in S21 Ultra and got it when it launched. Unfortunately got weird issues with camera overheating and Samsung would not replace 3 week old phone. They wanted to see what was wrong with it and fix if necessary. Some of my friends got some models from S21 lineup and even they had very similar issues. Samsung representative told me to wait for the next firmware update as well. Didn't like the idea, traded it in, paid the difference and got myself Z Fold2 yesterday for my birthday. Loving it so far.

Last edited:

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I had posted this on reddit, figured why not share it on here as welll.

Let me first give you this tidbit, about a month ago I had cracked my Z Fold 2 glass back while coming out of my vehicle… it hit concrete. I was heartbroken, it had a few minor dents on the side. However, it wasn’t a huge cause of concern. I felt later down the road, I would just D-Brand it and call it day.

Fast forward to today, I woke early in the morning to find my phone on the floor… it’s carpet. So, I didn’t think nothing of it. Until I looked closely, it was a dead pixel. I had fell asleep on the couch, with both my Bluetooth headphones and phone on the floor. I can only assume the phone hit my headphones, which might have caused a dent/scratch that resulted in the dead pixel.

I scheduled an appointment at Samsung Care at Frisco around 10am today. I arrived 15 minutes till my appointment, but was seen immediately. Three representative talked with me about the whole process. They wanted to find a certain way to pay the least amount possible, which was absolutely perfect for me.

Mind you, I don’t have any Samsung Care package on my phone. And, this was the first time I came in to repair this phone. They decided to repair the back of my cracked glass on the phone, while repairing the inner display as well. And I believe by replacing everything, I didn’t have those minor dents on the side. This whole repair cost $99 and I still have the one time screen repair available to use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.