Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bkdodger

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2019
I had posted this on reddit, figured why not share it on here as welll.

Let me first give you this tidbit, about a month ago I had cracked my Z Fold 2 glass back while coming out of my vehicle… it hit concrete. I was heartbroken, it had a few minor dents on the side. However, it wasn’t a huge cause of concern. I felt later down the road, I would just D-Brand it and call it day.

Fast forward to today, I woke early in the morning to find my phone on the floor… it’s carpet. So, I didn’t think nothing of it. Until I looked closely, it was a dead pixel. I had fell asleep on the couch, with both my Bluetooth headphones and phone on the floor. I can only assume the phone hit my headphones, which might have caused a dent/scratch that resulted in the dead pixel.

I scheduled an appointment at Samsung Care at Frisco around 10am today. I arrived 15 minutes till my appointment, but was seen immediately. Three representative talked with me about the whole process. They wanted to find a certain way to pay the least amount possible, which was absolutely perfect for me.

Mind you, I don’t have any Samsung Care package on my phone. And, this was the first time I came in to repair this phone. They decided to repair the back of my cracked glass on the phone, while repairing the inner display as well. And I believe by replacing everything, I didn’t have those minor dents on the side. This whole repair cost $99 and I still have the one time screen repair available to use.

Awesome man ...I’m so happy to hear this experience...

Reactions: Ludatyk

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009

Let me first give you this tidbit, about a month ago I had cracked my Z Fold 2 glass back while coming out of my vehicle… it hit concrete. I was heartbroken, it had a few minor dents on the side. However, it wasn’t a huge cause of concern. I felt later down the road, I would just D-Brand it and call it day.

Fast forward to today, I woke early in the morning to find my phone on the floor… it’s carpet. So, I didn’t think nothing of it. Until I looked closely, it was a dead pixel. I had fell asleep on the couch, with both my Bluetooth headphones and phone on the floor. I can only assume the phone hit my headphones, which might have caused a dent/scratch that resulted in the dead pixel.

I scheduled an appointment at Samsung Care at Frisco around 10am today. I arrived 15 minutes till my appointment, but was seen immediately. Three representative talked with me about the whole process. They wanted to find a certain way to pay the least amount possible, which was absolutely perfect for me.

Mind you, I don’t have any Samsung Care package on my phone. And, this was the first time I came in to repair this phone. They decided to repair the back of my cracked glass on the phone, while repairing the inner display as well. And I believe by replacing everything, I didn’t have those minor dents on the side. This whole repair cost $99 and I still have the one time screen repair available to use.

Nice!!!!

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK

That’s great customer service.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
That’s great customer service.
Only negative point about it… I had to drive an hour to the store. And the store was surprisingly nice inside, I’m kinda shocked they don’t have more of them around. I had the option to wait inside but decided not to, little did I know they had a refrigerator with water and beverages for customers. Along with a nice sitting arrangement.

Reactions: Bkdodger

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Only negative point about it… I had to drive an hour to the store. And the store was surprisingly nice inside, I’m kinda shocked they don’t have more of them around. I had the option to wait inside but decided not to, little did I know they had a refrigerator with water and beverages for customers. Along with a nice sitting arrangement.
Whilst your feedback is nice too hear I am not surprised in the least as your Fold2 comes with concierge service and is probably the best bundled warranty around

I often read this driving to the OEM store scenario and find it odd, perhaps it's a US thing associated or propagated by the amount of Apple stores around in many towns/cities in US. I do not see it as a positive often the store/shop I originally purchased it from is far closer and most good OEM send a pre-addressed courier shipping label too (eg Razer US sent me a Fedex label to send my laptop to Singapore, repair turnaround just 7 days)

I am not sure if you tried but with the Samsung Concierge service they normally collect and have loan phones too

I have used it twice here, once with my FOLD 1 when the front screen touch stopped working and only last Friday my USB port was being fickle going to superfast charge on my Fold2

As the process is so simple and efficient. I called them last Friday night, they collected it Saturday by courier and retuned if on Tuesday. This time I did not bother with a loan phone as I have a spare Note20U to hand. They even send daily sms updates on progress and call before arrival etc

Regardless. you still had a great result, congrats :)

Reactions: rhinosrcool

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Whilst your feedback is nice too hear I am not surprised in the least as your Fold2 comes with concierge service and is probably the best bundled warranty around
I was familiar with the concierge service, but it didn’t really come to mind when taking my Fold2 in for repair.

I often read this driving to the OEM store scenario and find it odd, perhaps it's a US thing associated or propagated by the amount of Apple stores around in many towns/cities in US.
This is certainly true. I’ve been accustomed of going to Apple with the amount of stores in my area, made it convenient for repairs or troubleshooting. And, Samsung has this stigma around customer service being non-existent… given that there’s limited physical stores to go to. And that’s why this experience was different, which gave me a different outlook on Samsung.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
This is certainly true. I’ve been accustomed of going to Apple with the amount of stores in my area, made it convenient for repairs or troubleshooting. And, Samsung has this stigma around customer service being non-existent… given that there’s limited physical stores to go to. And that’s why this experience was different, which gave me a different outlook on Samsung.

Sure it can be convenient at times for some but for most it's not, nor do most walk in to an AS and get instant service or even walk out with a new iPhone

You hear nice reports on forums like this but the real reality is it seldom happens and it's all part of clever marketing

It's a long wait or book an appointment or come back in x days or trade in and get a new iPhone etc is the majority of results. Also while your here why not get a new watch band or case etc :)

I lived in Houston for a few years and driving then to one of the 2 (now 3) apple stores and wasting half my weekend to sort out a phone is not convenient IMO not when you consider there are 20 BestBuy's or At&t stores etc etc

Whilst Apple service is 2nd to none the convivence factor is largely over rated and seems more like a bad habit or misconception applied to just phones, as most goods needing attention you just go to the store not the OEM

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I notice I have soon slight micro scratches in the crease. I can only see it when the sun is beaming on it and the display is off or black. The rest of the screen is completely free of any micro scratches.

I almost never wipe my display unless there's obvious debris or smudges on it.

I'm not really concerned about it being that I can't see it in normal light. But I'll probably clean my display a little more for now on.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I notice I have soon slight micro scratches in the crease. I can only see it when the sun is beaming on it and the display is off or black.

I had micro scratches as well, but never in the cease. And as you mention, you only see them when light reflects the screen. But ever since I went in for repair and they put a new screen protector on it. I decided to invest in protecting it this time around.

2344e7fce34dff028b0e2cedb660d1ae.jpg

0c7c38884977821f168d74eadef6858a.jpg

I picked up this sleeve from Amazon. I really don’t care to use the front display… therefore I won’t have to fold it.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I had micro scratches as well, but never in the cease. And as you mention, you only see them when light reflects the screen. But ever since I went in for repair and they put a new screen protector on it. I decided to invest in protecting it this time around.

I picked up this sleeve from Amazon. I really don’t care to use the front display… therefore I won’t have to fold it.

Never knew there was a case dedicated to keep unfolded. Nice!!!!

It's not for me though, I quickly browse emails, messages, notifications, and etc, too often with the front display.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Never knew there was a case dedicated to keep unfolded. Nice!!!!

It's not for me though, I quickly browse emails, messages, notifications, and etc, too often with the front display.
Thanks. But there’s no dedicated case, I had to browse through several Kindle sleeve to make sure I get the right size.

Reactions: LIVEFRMNYC

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Have anyone followed Android 12? I didn’t see any compelling features… I stumbled upon this article and it seems like Samsung might be our only hope for Android.

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
Have anyone followed Android 12? I didn’t see any compelling features… I stumbled upon this article and it seems like Samsung might be our only hope for Android.

Its an opinion article saying he doesnt like the aesthetic of Android 12. I wouldnt jump ship because one writer doesnt like how it looks.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Its an opinion article saying he doesnt like the aesthetic of Android 12. I wouldnt jump ship because one writer doesnt like how it looks.
I’m not thinking in terms of aesthetics.. we all have our own preferences. I’m just looking at it terms of features… and I didn’t really see much on Android 12. Obviously the article is purely opinion, I’m just trying to spark a discussion on what Android 12 features that Fold2 owners want.

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
I’m not thinking in terms of aesthetics.. we all have our own preferences. I’m just looking at it terms of features… and I didn’t really see much on Android 12. Obviously the article is purely opinion, I’m just trying to spark a discussion on what Android 12 features that Fold2 owners want.

Oh ok. Well for fold owners the obvious ones would be foldable screen support baked into Android with native Google apps given foldable specific layouts. Also some sort of API to allow 3rd party developers to easily build apps for foldables as well. This would give android a huge boost in the foldable and tablet department.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I know it might seem arbitrary to mention this, but Samsung released Bookmark bar for the Internet Beta and I just thought it was a pleasant surprise. I would think majority of Fold owners might prefer Chrome over Samsung Internet due to sync capabilities, but I just had to mention it when I received the beta this morning.

Attachments

• 0061D2C2-91ED-43EE-A40C-7AE57F4D19EC.jpg
    0061D2C2-91ED-43EE-A40C-7AE57F4D19EC.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 63
Reactions: Bkdodger

Achillias

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2011

Could you give a link of it.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Could you give a link of it.
Sure… link below.

Bought it about 3 weeks ago, been using it without any issues… haven’t fold the Fold2 since. The more I think of it, I feel like it resolves the worry of damaging when folding/unfolding. Because I’ve seen a couple of reddit threads where users report damages just by folding/unfolding it. MrMobile did a video about a damage to his Fold2…. supposedly, he’s gonna document the repair process.

Although, it’s kind of odd of me to buy a phone with the main premise of folding… I value the larger screen on it anyways.

Achillias

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2011
Sure… link below.

Bought it about 3 weeks ago, been using it without any issues… haven’t fold the Fold2 since. The more I think of it, I feel like it resolves the worry of damaging when folding/unfolding. Because I’ve seen a couple of reddit threads where users report damages just by folding/unfolding it. MrMobile did a video about a damage to his Fold2…. supposedly, he’s gonna document the repair process.

Although, it’s kind of odd of me to buy a phone with the main premise of folding… I value the larger screen on it anyways.
It looks great. Going to order one as well. Sometimes I just want to take this phone with me without a cover. But it's still needs to be protected when it's necessary.

Reactions: Ludatyk

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
It looks great. Going to order one as well. Sometimes I just want to take this phone with me without a cover. But it's still needs to be protected when it's necessary.
I never could decide on a case... tbh, they were all too bulky. And I like the experience of using it without a case... provides a better experience, IMO.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.